NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Inhabitants And Territorial Transitions

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Inhabitants And Territorial Transitions

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:23 pm

OOC: In the event that Toonela's repeal proposal is sent to submission and passed, this is the proposed replacement draft for "Protections During Territorial Transitions". In it, I have attempted to gather the comments and feedback I saw and read during the voting process of PDTT, and I hope this version reflects those. It is lengthy, yes, but I feel I needed the length to appropriately address the points of criticism and feedback that were raised. All comments and feedback are most welcome!

Inhabitants And Territorial Transitions
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild

Let it be known that this august body will not stand in the way of sovereign nations to administer their territory in a manner they deem appropriate, reasonable, and fair, and thus will not thwart its honourable member states from engaging in transitions of territory and land; yet

To ensure that no inhabitant of any member nation is negatively impacted by the transition of territories between sovereign nations, and to expand upon previously passed legislation that tasks member states with the duty to see to the basic needs of its inhabitants;

The World Assembly enacts as follows:

1. For purposes of this resolution, the following terms shall be understood as follows:

1. a "transition" as the transfer of territory from one sovereign state to another sovereign state resulting from economic, political or diplomatic proceedings and where at least one member nation either acquires or cedes territory;

2. a "ceding state" as a member state that cedes territory as a result of a transition;

3. a "receiving state" as a member state that acquires territory as a result of a transition;

4. an "affected inhabitant" as an inhabitant of any area of a ceding state that is directly affected by a transition;

2. An affected inhabitant who is unwilling to become the inhabitant of a receiving state as a result of a transition has the right to freely arrange relocation to another part of the ceding state that is suitable for civilian habitation, without any harmful impact upon their existing rights, duties and protections, and before the transition has been formally finalised;

3. A ceding state has the following duties and responsibilities:

1. To inform an affected inhabitant extensively and with sufficient advance notice about all jurisdictional changes that they will be subjected to as a result of a transition such as the loss or acquisition of rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities, and provide an affected inhabitant with all other information relevant to that transition, and the changes it will inflict upon them;

2. To provide aid and assistance free of charge to an affected inhabitant who is arranging relocation as per their right granted by Clause 2, and especially if that affected inhabitant would be unable to see to their basic needs as a result of the relocation;

3. To make the appropriate arrangements before a transition is finalised to shoulder a mass relocation of inhabitants within its borders as a result of a transition and their right as granted by Clause 2 of this resolution;

4. To request aid and assistance from the World Assembly in alleviating the burden of a mass relocation as a result of a transition, yet exclusively in the event that the state would become so overwhelmed by the mass relocation that the affected inhabitants or its other inhabitants would be unable to be guaranteed their basic needs, and only until that state is is no longer deemed so overwhelmed by WA;

4. A receiving state has the following duties and responsibilities:

1. To offer an affected inhabitant citizenship within its national jurisdiction if the latter held that status within the ceding state, or any other equivalent right to residency that they enjoyed in said state;

2. To automatically transfer any right, privilege and duty that an affected inhabitant held in the ceding state, unless such a right, privilege or duty is incompatible with the existing national jurisdiction. Then, either the closest possible equivalent to that right, privilege or duty that does exist within the receiving state must be granted to the affected inhabitant, or (and only if no such equivalent exists) that affected inhabitant has to be appropriately compensated for the loss of a right or privilege and be fairly assisted and guided in adjusting to the new situation where they no longer hold such;

3. To grant an affected inhabitant new rights and privileges upon the completion of a transition, if that state so wishes;

4. To provide an affected inhabitant with aid and guidance regarding affairs such as legal integration into their new jurisdiction or the learning of the state's official language(s) both free of charge, unless an affected inhabitant has expressly and overtly communicated not to desire such aid and guidance;

5. A member nation must refrain from transitioning any territory to any member or non-member nation likely to fail to comply with the duties and responsibilities set forth for receiving states, and may not accept territory in a transition from any member or non-member nation likely to fail to comply with the duties and responsibilities set forth for ceding state.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:24 pm

DRAFT 1:
Inhabitants And Territorial Transitions
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild

Let it be known that this august body will not stand in the way of sovereign nations to administer their territory in a manner they deem appropriate, reasonable, and fair, and thus will not thwart its honourable member states from engaging in transitions of territory and land; yet

To ensure that no inhabitant of any member nation is negatively impacted by the transition of territories between sovereign nations, and to expand upon previously passed legislation that tasks member states with the duty to see to the basic needs of its inhabitants;

The World Assembly enacts as follows:

1. For purposes of this resolution, the following terms shall be understood as follows:

1. a "transition" as the transfer of territory from one sovereign state to another sovereign state resulting from economic, political or diplomatic proceedings and where at least one member nation either acquires or cedes territory;

2. a "ceding state" as a member state that cedes territory as a result of a transition;

3. a "receiving state" as a member state that acquires territory as a result of a transition;

4. an "affected inhabitant" as an inhabitant of any area of a ceding state that is directly affected by a transition;

2. An affected inhabitant who is unwilling to become the inhabitant of a receiving state as a result of a transition has the right to freely arrange relocation to another part of the ceding state that is suitable for civilian habitation, without any harmful impact upon their existing rights, duties and protections, and before the transition has been formally finalised;

3. A ceding state has the following duties and responsibilities:

1. To inform an affected inhabitant extensively and with sufficient advance notice about all jurisdictional changes that they will be subjected to as a result of a transition such as the loss or acquisition of rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities, and provide an affected inhabitant with all other information relevant to that transition, and the changes it will inflict upon them;

2. To provide aid and assistance free of charge to an affected inhabitant who is arranging relocation as per their right granted by Clause 2, and especially if that affected inhabitant would be unable to see to their basic needs as a result of the relocation;

3. To make the appropriate arrangements before a transition is finalised to shoulder a mass relocation of inhabitants within its borders as a result of a transition and their right as granted by Clause 2 of this resolution;

4. To request aid and assistance from the World Assembly in alleviating the burden of a mass relocation as a result of a transition, yet exclusively in the event that the state would become so overwhelmed by the mass relocation that the affected inhabitants or its other inhabitants would be unable to be guaranteed their basic needs, and only until that state is is no longer deemed so overwhelmed by WA;

4. A receiving state has the following duties and responsibilities:

1. To offer an affected inhabitant citizenship within its national jurisdiction if the latter held that status within the ceding state, or any other equivalent right to residency that they enjoyed in said state;

2. To automatically transfer any right, privilege and duty that an affected inhabitant held in the ceding state, unless such a right, privilege or duty is incompatible with the existing national jurisdiction. Then, either the closest possible equivalent to that right, privilege or duty that does exist within the receiving state must be granted to the affected inhabitant, or (and only if no such equivalent exists) that affected inhabitant has to be appropriately compensated for the loss of that right, privilege or duty and be fairly assisted and guided in adjusting to the new situation where they no longer hold such;

3. To grant an affected inhabitant new rights and privileges upon the completion of a transition, if that state so wishes;

4. To provide an affected inhabitant with aid and guidance regarding affairs such as legal integration into their new jurisdiction or the learning of the state's official language(s) both free of charge, unless an affected inhabitant has expressly and overtly communicated not to desire such aid and guidance;

5. If a member state is either the receiving or ceding state in a transition between itself and a non-member nation, then the member nation must ensure that the duties and responsibilities that are given to either a receiving or ceding state within this resolution (depending on the non-member nation's role in the transition) are included in a general sense into the treaties and agreements that regulate that transition, and in such a manner that they can apply to the non-member nation without the World Assembly exceeding its competencies.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:59 pm

"Well, ambassador, this is certainly an interesting draft. I would advise changing Section 5 though... 'in a general sense' is just strange wording that seems ambiguous -- would including every mandate except for 4a be allowed, for example? I'd suggest changing this to something like this, as I suggested for your previous draft, similar to 580's extradition regulations; that way, it can be left up to member nations how exactly to proceed, but your intended effect is met _"

Member nations are to refrain from transitioning any territory to any member or non-member nation likely to fail to comply with this resolution as a receiving member state, and may not accept territory in a transition from any member or non-member nation likely to fail to comply with this resolution as a ceding member state.

"On the other hand, why would a member nation compensate people for losing a duty? For example, if in the ceding state gambling is a crime -- so citizens have the duty to refrain from gambling -- but in the receiving state gambling is allowed, it would make no sense to compensate people for now being allowed to gamble."
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:33 am

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:"Well, ambassador, this is certainly an interesting draft. I would advise changing Section 5 though... 'in a general sense' is just strange wording that seems ambiguous -- would including every mandate except for 4a be allowed, for example? I'd suggest changing this to something like this, as I suggested for your previous draft, similar to 580's extradition regulations; that way, it can be left up to member nations how exactly to proceed, but your intended effect is met _"

Member nations are to refrain from transitioning any territory to any member or non-member nation likely to fail to comply with this resolution as a receiving member state, and may not accept territory in a transition from any member or non-member nation likely to fail to comply with this resolution as a ceding member state.

"On the other hand, why would a member nation compensate people for losing a duty? For example, if in the ceding state gambling is a crime -- so citizens have the duty to refrain from gambling -- but in the receiving state gambling is allowed, it would make no sense to compensate people for now being allowed to gamble."

Zylkoven: "We are grateful for your commentary and feedback, Ambassador. Our delegation has adopted your proposed text for Clause 5 with a few small amendments, and we have removed the mention of "duty" when it comes to the line about compensation. We agree with your assessment that the loss of a duty would be odd to compensate, and we have adjusted the proposal text accordingly."

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:56 am

Zylkoven: "While there are no immediate signs that the repeal proposal currently in the works will be submitted anytime soon, our delegation would appreciate any comments and feedback so that we may work on this proposal draft in the meantime."

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Roylaii
Attaché

Founded: Jun 11, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Roylaii » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:13 am

"We have no issues at current. Support" - R. W. Poirot
OOC: I very happily voted for the original, so I'm glad that there is a replacement prepared in the even that it is repealed. I notice no disagreeable sections myself on my read and have no issue with its length finding it sufficiently comprehensive, but i do note a minor typo "and passed" in the OP that is mildly irritating me : )
Πογερς

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:07 am

Roylaii wrote:"We have no issues at current. Support" - R. W. Poirot
OOC: I very happily voted for the original, so I'm glad that there is a replacement prepared in the even that it is repealed. I notice no disagreeable sections myself on my read and have no issue with its length finding it sufficiently comprehensive, but i do note a minor typo "and passed" in the OP that is mildly irritating me : )

Zylkoven: "That is most welcome to hear, Ambassador."

OOC: Thanks for the feedback :) and whoopsie, fixed!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads