NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Combatting Fascism

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Charusci
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Charusci » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:30 pm

I would support this as is if it went to vote but I'm worried it would not succeed. Perhaps narrowing the focus on breaking up fascist groups might be more palatable.

Plus Nova Imperii
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Plus Nova Imperii » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:33 pm

So is this proposal saying that you are going to arrest any person that is a Fascist, not just the managers and leaders of a Fascist organization, or am I misreading this proposal?
Resident NoLabels Nerd from Texas

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:52 pm

The current definition overlooks that a fascist regime may be made up of a minority targeting a racial or religious majority. It's also closer to defining an ethnostate then fascism.
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:28 pm

The draft's definition of fascism isn't necessarily true. Fascism is not not centered around oppression and prejudice against minorities, not at all. Fascism is a form of far-right ideology putting the government in complete control to where they oppress all of their citizens, not just minorities. A nation could give everyone equal rights (not including the government, of course) and still be fascist due to the immense amount of oppression and total control the nation's government has over its citizens.

Once again, I am opposed. I was against the repealing of the ideological ban rule (though I admit it was predominately problematic from the beginning), and this takes advantage of the repeal by outright banning an entire ideology already not permitted by countless previosly-passed resolutions protecting basic human rights and freedoms. That's why I was against the rule change; all the extremely harmful ideologies are already not permitted by WA legislation.

Basically, your entire draft is a stretched out version of "fascism is bad, let's abuse the WA's powers and ban it outright." And article 2c, which bans "fascist propaganda" is a clear and obvious violation of political freedom and freedom of speech, principles that this body holds dear. That, I believe, would severely contradict previously-passed legislation on the topic.

Strongly against.
Last edited by The Orwell Society on Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Mesogiria
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Mesogiria » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:31 pm

Definitions:
In this resolution, Fascism is an ideology that puts authoritarian and hateful governments over individuals, and in addition asserts the biological superiority of one group of individuals over others;

Fascism, being a hateful ideology, usually maintains hatred and dislike for the following groups:
-Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals (also known as the LGBT+ community);
-Individuals of color (those with different skin colors than individuals in power and who may be minorities);
-Disabled individuals;
-Religious minorities.

What is the intended relationship between these two definitions? The first part seems like a self-contained definition, so what are the examples for as definitions? Are they included as examples of fascist belief, a checklist to be used when determining if a belief system is equivalent to fascism, or would each be considered an independent edition of fascism? Does fascism become acceptable if it is being perpetrated without regard for race-hate, or if it is done by an oppressive religious minority against a more numerous religious majority?

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:38 pm

Mesogiria wrote:Definitions:
In this resolution, Fascism is an ideology that puts authoritarian and hateful governments over individuals, and in addition asserts the biological superiority of one group of individuals over others;

Fascism, being a hateful ideology, usually maintains hatred and dislike for the following groups:
-Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals (also known as the LGBT+ community);
-Individuals of color (those with different skin colors than individuals in power and who may be minorities);
-Disabled individuals;
-Religious minorities.

What is the intended relationship between these two definitions? The first part seems like a self-contained definition, so what are the examples for as definitions? Are they included as examples of fascist belief, a checklist to be used when determining if a belief system is equivalent to fascism, or would each be considered an independent edition of fascism? Does fascism become acceptable if it is being perpetrated without regard for race-hate, or if it is done by an oppressive religious minority against a more numerous religious majority?

I would like to know that as well. This proposal is much better off if the second part of the definition is gone.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Scarlet Devil Basement
Civilian

Founded: Jan 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Scarlet Devil Basement » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:47 am

I'm not sure how the delegate in my region would respond to this if at all, but as Basement Dweller, I speak for my country when I say there will be no thought policing in Scarlet Devil Basement, and as such, a thought policing proposal such as this would see opposition from the Basement.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly