NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Crime Victims' Rights Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am

The definitions section is suspiciously similar to that of GA#247. As such, approval withdrawn.

(Further elaboration available on request or demand.)
Last edited by Tinhampton on Mon May 23, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Forest of Aeneas
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Forest of Aeneas » Mon May 23, 2022 9:27 pm

OOC: Sorry for the 11th hour against points; I haven't paid much attention to this proposal as I should have.

Ambassador Cecilia Maro. 'While we agree with the principle of this, we have several concerns regarding this particular implementation. Firstly, 1.a mandates 'the right to be tested for serious illnesses the crime victim may have been exposed to during the act of the crime'. However, the exposure during that crime may have had nothing to do with the crime. For example, if someone tries to shoot someone at a mall but fails, and a bypasser happens to have a serious transmittible illness, the crime victim is likely to have been exposed to that serious illness during that crime, even to a bypasser having a serious transmittible illness had nothing to do with that murder attempt. Moreover, we are concerned by the use of the word 'may'. I may have been exposed to Transmittible Serious Illness 69420 From Tinhampton because there is the off chance that the Tinhamptonian Ambassador had it. That is unlikely, but I still 'may' have, and it is certainly within the realm of probability. This is impractical and cries for the moon.'

'1.c is also a meaningless requirement. While the accused cannot 'directly' contact the crime victim, they may do so 'indirectly'. For example, they may hire someone to pass a message to the accused, while this resolution stands in blissful ignorance.'

'Moreover, we are confused as to why the definition excludes those who are charged with 'another crime that occurred as a result from the same occurrence or incident'. In nations where self-defence is illegal, for example, a member state can exclude crime victims from their mandates if they make even the smallest effort at self-defence.'

'We are also concerned by, as stated well by the Ambassador from Tinhampton, how 'the definitions section is suspiciously similar to that of GA#247'. All of this leads our Delegation to cast a vote against this resolution.'
Last edited by The Forest of Aeneas on Mon May 23, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
=> World Assembly Ambassador Cecilia Maro, author of GA#611.

Ooc: Former main of The Ice States.

Cathamye
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 09, 2021
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cathamye » Tue May 24, 2022 6:46 am

Tinhampton wrote:The definitions section is suspiciously similar to that of GA#247. As such, approval withdrawn.

As I understand it, the explicitly stated purpose of this proposed resolution was to correct problems in that resolution 247 while still addressing the same topic area so I don't think it's necessarily "suspicious" that there are some similarities between this one and 247.

Cathamye
Lobbyist

Postby Cathamye » Tue May 24, 2022 6:48 am

One quick question:

4. If any property is lost, crime victims have the right to full and timely restitution from the accused (if convicted) through the process of civil matters until the end of the prescriptive period.

What is meant by "prescriptive period" here? Is this related to a statute of limitations isuse or something separately created by the resolution?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 am

Cathamye wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:The definitions section is suspiciously similar to that of GA#247. As such, approval withdrawn.

As I understand it, the explicitly stated purpose of this proposed resolution was to correct problems in that resolution 247 while still addressing the same topic area so I don't think it's necessarily "suspicious" that there are some similarities between this one and 247.

Ooc: this is not how the Plagiarism rule is enforced. Authors cannot use a resolutions wording without authorial permission.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Cathamye
Lobbyist

Postby Cathamye » Tue May 24, 2022 6:57 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Cathamye wrote:

Ooc: this is not how the Plagiarism rule is enforced. Authors cannot use a resolutions wording without authorial permission.

Okay thanks for the clarification! I didn't realize that they had actually plagiarized the resolution wording. It's a shame that this wasn't caught before it was submitted, but hopefully it can be fixed the next time this topic makes its way through the process.

Fremenilia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Fremenilia » Tue May 24, 2022 7:59 am

Cathamye wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: this is not how the Plagiarism rule is enforced. Authors cannot use a resolutions wording without authorial permission.

Okay thanks for the clarification! I didn't realize that they had actually plagiarized the resolution wording. It's a shame that this wasn't caught before it was submitted, but hopefully it can be fixed the next time this topic makes its way through the process.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=519297
FT partially Dune themed giant lizards | Puppet of Gothian Crimea

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Tue May 24, 2022 9:23 am

I personally thought the author made sufficient tweaks and changes so the language was merely "inspired by" the prior resolution, not plagiarizing. But I do understand the moderator's decision that there was too much borrowing and it went beyond what is acceptable without express permission.

I think the voting as it stands now shows a large amount of public support for this effort, although clearly there remain some kinks that need to be worked out. There are also people who support the law but are voting against due to the finding of plagiarism. Anyway, it's certainly not shaping up to be a result that indicates a firm rejection of the whole premise. I would encourage the author to make changes and try again.

When the author is ready to do so, Princess Rainbow Sparkles will be available to help with redrawing the definitions.
Last edited by Princess Rainbow Sparkles on Tue May 24, 2022 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Berenice Soviet
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2022
Ex-Nation

Against

Postby Berenice Soviet » Tue May 24, 2022 11:53 am

The Berenice Soviet is against this proposal. The victim does not need to be present for every single court hearing for the accused nor does a whole proposal need to be made about what the victims rights are. Most of this is already things that would take place during a normal trial anyway.

The victim would be kept safe from the accused because bail is a thing (or no bail just kept in jail if needed).

Most of what this proposed bill contains is just common sense. However, what bothers me most is the plagiarism that what brought to light and the lack of citing the previous bill. You say there was a previous but no longer active bill that accomplished a similar goal, yet you fail to cite what bill that was or why it was discontinued.
Nobilissimus
Imperator Caesar Publius Ovidius Cato Sapiens Solitarius Augustus
Emperor of the Berenice Soviet

A Theocratic Absolute Monarchy based in the ancient region of Arabia Petraea

White American Muslim.
العزة لله, Glory to Allah
وَمَن يَعۡمَلۡ مِنَ ٱلصَّـٰلِحَٰتِ مِن ذَكَرٍ أَوۡ أُنثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤۡمِنٞ فَأُوْلَـٰٓئِكَ يَدۡخُلُونَ ٱلۡجَنَّةَ وَلَا يُظۡلَمُونَ نَقِيرٗا,
(4:124) Whoever does good and believes -whether he is male or female - such shall enter the Garden, and they shall not be wronged in the slightest

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue May 24, 2022 12:35 pm

Berenice Soviet wrote:...You say there was a previous but no longer active bill that accomplished a similar goal, yet you fail to cite what bill that was or why it was discontinued.

GA#247 "Rights of Crime Victims"
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Cambrionia
Lobbyist

Founded: May 10, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Cambrionia » Tue May 24, 2022 2:34 pm

"The people of Cambrionia have decided to vote against this resolution due to section 1d's vagueness in the term "Specific cases" and the fact that most of the sections of this resolution go against, have nothing to do with, or are already applied in Cambrionia's legal system."
- Cambrionian People's International Representation Committee
NEWS

Cambrioni-Draconian Relations Deteriorating | Torn Land Colony "Rapidly Developing" | Polar Rocket Launch Site Completed on Castor Island

Berenice Soviet
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Berenice Soviet » Tue May 24, 2022 4:40 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Berenice Soviet wrote:...You say there was a previous but no longer active bill that accomplished a similar goal, yet you fail to cite what bill that was or why it was discontinued.

GA#247 "Rights of Crime Victims"

Thank you ambassador of Tinhampton.
Nobilissimus
Imperator Caesar Publius Ovidius Cato Sapiens Solitarius Augustus
Emperor of the Berenice Soviet

A Theocratic Absolute Monarchy based in the ancient region of Arabia Petraea

White American Muslim.
العزة لله, Glory to Allah
وَمَن يَعۡمَلۡ مِنَ ٱلصَّـٰلِحَٰتِ مِن ذَكَرٍ أَوۡ أُنثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤۡمِنٞ فَأُوْلَـٰٓئِكَ يَدۡخُلُونَ ٱلۡجَنَّةَ وَلَا يُظۡلَمُونَ نَقِيرٗا,
(4:124) Whoever does good and believes -whether he is male or female - such shall enter the Garden, and they shall not be wronged in the slightest

Kulelen
Civilian

Founded: Nov 24, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Rework

Postby Kulelen » Tue May 24, 2022 10:20 pm

In our opinion the resolution further polish before we would consider voting in favor. Further clarification is needed.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed May 25, 2022 6:08 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: this is not how the Plagiarism rule is enforced. Authors cannot use a resolutions wording without authorial permission.

OOC: Unless the author is writing a Repeal, in which case they are allowed to quote the bits of their target with which they disagree so that they can point out what they think is wrong there.

Berenice Soviet wrote:

Thank you ambassador of Tinhampton.

OOC: and its Repeal was GA #587.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed May 25, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kanzala B
Civilian

Founded: May 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanzala B » Thu May 26, 2022 3:40 am

it is important to give rights to crinimals as they are human and worthy of rights

Tupavvia
Civilian

Founded: May 26, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Tupavvia » Thu May 26, 2022 10:57 am

The Kingdom of Tupavvia is for this Act as includes the minimum rights for all crime victims. No country that gives importance to human rights should feel like its judicial system is being overthrown by this Act. If you feel like this, you should reconsider human rights within your legislation.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives