NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] [GA#386 REPLACEMENT] End Statelessness

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Overmind
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2022
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:47 pm

Barfleur wrote:
The Overmind wrote:
We're just going to point out that the title of the proposal is "End Statelessness" which is not possible without clause c.

"Even clause c would not 'end' statelessness, as there would still be many, many more stateless individuals who are outside the territorial jurisdiction of member nations. The title is aspirational, and the proposal would not do away with every single case of statelessness."

I think it's a given that any proposal's aspirations have to do with member nations. Inasmuch as the proposal aims to end statelessness in member nations, clause c is not optional.
Free Palestine

Trans men are men | Trans women are women | Sex is non-binary
Assigned sex isn't biological sex | Trans rights are human rights

Neuroscientist | Formerly Heavens Reach | He/Him/His

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:52 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Barfleur wrote:"Even clause c would not 'end' statelessness, as there would still be many, many more stateless individuals who are outside the territorial jurisdiction of member nations. The title is aspirational, and the proposal would not do away with every single case of statelessness."

I think it's a given that any proposal's aspirations have to do with member nations. Inasmuch as the proposal aims to end statelessness in member nations, clause c is not optional.

"Clauses a and b are sensible, in that they impose obligations on member nations to not deprive their citizens and nationals of their citizenship and nationality, respectively, and to take steps to remedy past violations. Clause c requires member nations to nationalize a person who may only be traveling through that nation with no intent to stay permanently (or even a full day), or who might openly be hostile to the existence of that nation."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:58 pm

Barfleur wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

"Clauses a and b are sensible, in that they impose obligations on member nations to not deprive their citizens and nationals of their citizenship and nationality, respectively, and to take steps to remedy past violations. Clause c requires member nations to nationalize a person who may only be traveling through that nation with no intent to stay permanently (or even a full day), or who might openly be hostile to the existence of that nation."

There are people in any nation hostile to its existence. They are dealt with judiciously, not by depriving them of citizenship, so I see no reason that the converse should apply.

Moreover, the circumstances you're concerned about are so marginal -- so unlikely -- that they do not comprise a sufficient argument for neutering the proposal of a clause that is essential for achieving its goals, however aspirational you might hold them to be. Might there be the occasional nomad or hostile who gains citizenship? Sure. Is there any reason to believe this wouldn't be the exception? No, not really.
Free Palestine

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:03 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Barfleur wrote:"Clauses a and b are sensible, in that they impose obligations on member nations to not deprive their citizens and nationals of their citizenship and nationality, respectively, and to take steps to remedy past violations. Clause c requires member nations to nationalize a person who may only be traveling through that nation with no intent to stay permanently (or even a full day), or who might openly be hostile to the existence of that nation."

There are people in any nation hostile to its existence. They are dealt with judiciously, not by depriving them of citizenship, so I see no reason that the converse should apply.

Moreover, the circumstances you're concerned about are so marginal -- so unlikely -- that they do not comprise a sufficient argument for neutering the proposal of a clause that is essential for achieving its goals, however aspirational you might hold them to be. Might there be the occasional nomad or hostile who gains citizenship? Sure. Is there any reason to believe this wouldn't be the exception? No, not really.

"They do comprise a sufficient argument. Promising nationality to any stateless person who gets one foot in the door, literally in this case, would incentivize illegal migration. Couple that with the prospect of individuals from nations that have ceased to exists and who might be avowed terrorists, and there is a severe national security problem."
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:17 pm

Barfleur wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

"They do comprise a sufficient argument. Promising nationality to any stateless person who gets one foot in the door, literally in this case, would incentivize illegal migration. Couple that with the prospect of individuals from nations that have ceased to exists and who might be avowed terrorists, and there is a severe national security problem."

Except that it applies to all member nations, and only to stateless people, so it really barely incentivizes anything at all.
Free Palestine

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:35 pm

I am with the point Barfleur made on nations that ceased to exist. Also lack of recognition for the state itself. Is the Taliban government a successor state of Afghanistan? Can someone haul the entire population of Somaliland or any other state that the British do not recognize to exist to British waters and have them all declared nationals?
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:42 pm

Simone Republic wrote:I am with the point Barfleur made on nations that ceased to exist. Also lack of recognition for the state itself. Is the Taliban government a successor state of Afghanistan? Can someone haul the entire population of Somaliland or any other state that the British do not recognize to exist to British waters and have them all declared nationals?

How does a nation cease to exist? A nation is not a government, nor a country. It is a people. Do we presume that member nations are only those nations that receive external validation of their existence?
Free Palestine

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:48 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Simone Republic wrote:I am with the point Barfleur made on nations that ceased to exist. Also lack of recognition for the state itself. Is the Taliban government a successor state of Afghanistan? Can someone haul the entire population of Somaliland or any other state that the British do not recognize to exist to British waters and have them all declared nationals?

How does a nation cease to exist? A nation is not a government, nor a country. It is a people. Do we presume that member nations are only those nations that receive external validation of their existence?

(OOC: The dissolution of the USSR comes to mind. That was an unambiguous cessation of existence. Of course, that involved a situation as regards citizenship that is not necessarily widely applicable, in terms of having consistent republics; nonetheless, it does demonstrate that a nation can indeed cease to exist.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:10 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

(OOC: The dissolution of the USSR comes to mind. That was an unambiguous cessation of existence. Of course, that involved a situation as regards citizenship that is not necessarily widely applicable, in terms of having consistent republics; nonetheless, it does demonstrate that a nation can indeed cease to exist.)

When the USSR ceased to exist, it broke up into many nations, but it did not result in any stateless people.
Free Palestine

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:25 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: The dissolution of the USSR comes to mind. That was an unambiguous cessation of existence. Of course, that involved a situation as regards citizenship that is not necessarily widely applicable, in terms of having consistent republics; nonetheless, it does demonstrate that a nation can indeed cease to exist.)

When the USSR ceased to exist, it broke up into many nations, but it did not result in any stateless people.

(OOC: I know. I was just referencing that a nation could cease to exist through a legislative decree dissolving its constituent organising parts. That nations can cease to exist is not particularly controversial, unless one is talking about a nation qua a people, which is a sense that seems irrelevant to international law.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:49 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

(OOC: I know. I was just referencing that a nation could cease to exist through a legislative decree dissolving its constituent organising parts. That nations can cease to exist is not particularly controversial, unless one is talking about a nation qua a people, which is a sense that seems irrelevant to international law.)

My point, while not put in precisely these terms, is that people don't just cease to be part of a nation because of the fall of a state.
Free Palestine

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:17 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I know. I was just referencing that a nation could cease to exist through a legislative decree dissolving its constituent organising parts. That nations can cease to exist is not particularly controversial, unless one is talking about a nation qua a people, which is a sense that seems irrelevant to international law.)

My point, while not put in precisely these terms, is that people don't just cease to be part of a nation because of the fall of a state.

OOC: If a nation devolves into a situation where three different governments each claim to be the legitimate state, and each government receives at least some foreign recognition, a person's passport status would be affected by that. Likewise, if a nation is conquered and entirely absorbed into a larger nation. Or if the reverse happens and a national balkanizes.
Co-author, GA#534.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:20 pm

Barfleur wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

OOC: If a nation devolves into a situation where three different governments each claim to be the legitimate state, and each government receives at least some foreign recognition, a person's passport status would be affected by that. Likewise, if a nation is conquered and entirely absorbed into a larger nation. Or if the reverse happens and a national balkanizes.

And, in none of those situations, are people stateless.
Free Palestine

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:01 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I know. I was just referencing that a nation could cease to exist through a legislative decree dissolving its constituent organising parts. That nations can cease to exist is not particularly controversial, unless one is talking about a nation qua a people, which is a sense that seems irrelevant to international law.)

(OOC: Are you talking about “nation” to mean a sociocultural entity or a geopolitical one? If the former, then I do agree, but that isn’t particularly relevant. That people can still have a shared sense of national identity doesn’t have any impact on statelessness in the meaning of this proposal. If the latter, then people do cease to be part of a nation when a state ceases to exist, because the latter definition uses “nation” as a synonym for “state”.)
My pronouns are he/him.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:04 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

(OOC: Are you talking about “nation” to mean a sociocultural entity or a geopolitical one? If the former, then I do agree, but that isn’t particularly relevant. That people can still have a shared sense of national identity doesn’t have any impact on statelessness in the meaning of this proposal. If the latter, then people do cease to be part of a nation when a state ceases to exist, because the latter definition uses “nation” as a synonym for “state”.)

In this context, they're equivalent. When larger states dissolve, new states solidify around nations, which are not bound to their original state.
Free Palestine

First Nightmare
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby First Nightmare » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:53 am

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:05 am

The Overmind wrote:
Barfleur wrote:"Even clause c would not 'end' statelessness, as there would still be many, many more stateless individuals who are outside the territorial jurisdiction of member nations. The title is aspirational, and the proposal would not do away with every single case of statelessness."

The uncertainty over whether clause (c) means that the 27 googlgazillion people from non-WA states flood into WA states (that Old Hope raised in his legality challenge) would give me pause alone, before all the other complaints about this resolution.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:34 am

Simone Republic wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

The uncertainty over whether clause (c) means that the 27 googlgazillion people from non-WA states flood into WA states (that Old Hope raised in his legality challenge) would give me pause alone, before all the other complaints about this resolution.

As I said on the challenge thread, and am reiterating here, the level of certainty granted to this extremely unlikely event borders on pure contrarionism.
Last edited by The Overmind on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Palestine

Fachumonn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2021

Postby Fachumonn » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:32 pm

Simone Republic wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

There just aren't that many stateless people, period. At this point, you're just arguing to argue.
GA Authorship Leaderboard | Guide to Campaigning | Other Resources

-11th Delegate of LSC. (May 31 2021-October 16 2022, June 9 2023-August 21 2023, November 1 2023-)

WA Ambassador: The People | Pronouns: He/Him/His| RL Ideology: Libertarian Socialism/Anarcho-Communism | GP Alignment: Independent |

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:51 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Simone Republic wrote:

As I said on the challenge thread, and am reiterating here, the level of certainty granted to this extremely unlikely event borders on pure contrarionism.

Fachumonn wrote:
Simone Republic wrote:

There just aren't that many stateless people, period. At this point, you're just arguing to argue.

OOC: Respectfully, I have to disagree. Requiring member nations grant nationality to all stateless individuals found within their borders can be fairly expected to cause more movement of stateless people from non-member nations moving to member nations. I do not think requiring all those people to be nationalized is good policy. And I say this as someone who otherwise strongly supports this proposal. I am not opposed to clause c for the sake of being contrarian, I am opposed because I consider it to be harmful in its likely effects.
Co-author, GA#534.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:59 pm

Barfleur wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

Fachumonn wrote:There just aren't that many stateless people, period. At this point, you're just arguing to argue.

OOC: Respectfully, I have to disagree. Requiring member nations grant nationality to all stateless individuals found within their borders can be fairly expected to cause more movement of stateless people from non-member nations moving to member nations. I do not think requiring all those people to be nationalized is good policy. And I say this as someone who otherwise strongly supports this proposal. I am not opposed to clause c for the sake of being contrarian, I am opposed because I consider it to be harmful in its likely effects.

I still disagree with you, but the contrarianism comment was largely aimed at Simone Republic vis-á-vis their highly overwrought hypotheticals.
Free Palestine

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:06 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Barfleur wrote:

I still disagree with you, but the contrarianism comment was largely aimed at Simone Republic vis-á-vis their highly overwrought hypotheticals.

OOC: Fair, but when you combine the facts that (1) due to how nations roleplay there universes, there exists a potentially infinite number of non-member nations, (2) those nations can have any number of people, and (3) those nations, not being bound by existing WA law, can make their people stateless in any way they choose, I don't think it's too unreasonable an argument to make.
Co-author, GA#534.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:16 pm

Barfleur wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

OOC: Fair, but when you combine the facts that (1) due to how nations roleplay there universes, there exists a potentially infinite number of non-member nations, (2) those nations can have any number of people, and (3) those nations, not being bound by existing WA law, can make their people stateless in any way they choose, I don't think it's too unreasonable an argument to make.

I think we're fighting at the boundary between possible and plausible, and I fall firmly afoul of these problems being plausible
Last edited by The Overmind on Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Palestine

BEEstreetz
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2022
Capitalist Paradise

Postby BEEstreetz » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:22 pm

Implying a substantial difference between "citizenship" and "nationality" in (a) but leaving it unspecified is permissive of (c)'s relative interpretation by domestic law. An alternative reading of (c) would be, allowing for procedural implementation of (some member-states) legislation in regards to how it regulates this event.

Other than this lack of precise differentiation, which could be criticized (as it already has by Overmind), the counter-arguments are unconvincing. However, it's also the reason behind me being in favour, since it's a sagacious approach imv.
Useful links: Most Important Dispatch of Mine | Website rules | NS Guide | List of NSCodes | GA Rules | Personal help | Reppy's sig workshop | Script Rules | NS API Doc
-
OOC Info: | F;She/Her/They. | Orientation: ACE Umbrella.| Profession: (Current) Operational Crisis Management ;Social worker;Bureaucrat| Religion: Pan-Abrahamic | Education: PolSci -> IR -> IntSec. | Ideology: (A) InfValue Results For more Info.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:43 pm

Can a stateless person decline member nation citizenship, or do they have to be granted it and then resign it per Section f?
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives