NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] International Sex Offender Registry Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Isles of the Celts
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] International Sex Offender Registry Act

Postby The Isles of the Celts » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:01 pm

Category: International Security

Strength: Mild

Defining a sex offender as a person who commits a crime involving a sexual act.

Noting that many sex offenders are convicted for sexual acts involving a child.

Stating that the purpose of this act is to provide law enforcement agencies around the world with current information on sex offenders and to help prevent further sex crimes from being committed.

Mandating that an international list of sex offenders within all World Assembly member states shall be compiled and maintained, and that the information of new offenders shall be added to the registry by the nation that has convicted said offender. This list shall be made available to law enforcement agencies around the world.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:19 pm

Why do you believe that an "international list of sex offenders" - as opposed to many national-level lists or alternative forms of action against convicted sex offenders - will "prevent further sex crimes from being committed?" And what do you want member states to do with the list (since, as it stands, they can just sit on it and do nothing other than add new sex offenders when they are convicted)?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Isles of the Celts
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isles of the Celts » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:28 pm

In the event that a sex offender is arrested in a country that isn't their own, the police in that country would be able to identify that offender and what they've done. Some nations may not have access to the national list of another country. This list is just to help law enforcement across the world have access to the same information in order to prevent miscommunication or an offender from possibly going free in some cases.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:30 pm

The Isles of the Celts wrote:In the event that a sex offender is arrested in a country that isn't their own, the police in that country would be able to identify that offender and what they've done. Some nations may not have access to the national list of another country. This list is just to help law enforcement across the world have access to the same information in order to prevent miscommunication or an offender from possibly going free in some cases.

"How is this relevant to law enforcement given that the laws governing sex crimes are variable?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Isles of the Celts
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isles of the Celts » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:35 am

This law would not change how a nation would punish these crimes, it only creates a list. Just if an offender is arrested in another country, for a sex crime or any other type of crime, law enforcement will simply have the necessary information about these individuals. How that country's legal system handles them is not changed by this legislation.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 am

The Isles of the Celts wrote:This law would not change how a nation would punish these crimes, it only creates a list. Just if an offender is arrested in another country, for a sex crime or any other type of crime, law enforcement will simply have the necessary information about these individuals. How that country's legal system handles them is not changed by this legislation.

You rather missed the point, ambassador. The potential mismatch between laws was the relevant point. Take, for instance, the fictional shithole of Murrica. We hear that in parts of that country a teenager sending pictures of his/her genitals to another teenager is considered a very serious sex crime, or at least we presume so since it justifies the police forcing medical staff at a hospital to chemically induce erection so that pictures can be taken for evidence. The law in most sane, and civilized states would consider this, at worst, a disciplinary issue to be handled by parents. Nevertheless, under your proposal, such a teenager would appear in this international list of sex offenders.

As an additional objection, your proposal is so vague that said registry is not even required to carry sufficient identification information to confirm a match, nor is it required to contain any kind of details as would allow one to rationally evaluate the inclusion of a person, such as the teenager referenced above, on the list.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019

Postby Barfleur » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:50 pm

"Barfleur is not opposed to the idea of an international sex offender registry, given the fact that too many individuals from wealthier member nations travel to less-developed member nations to engage in 'child sex tourism' or to perform sexual activities which they know violates the local law but for which they do not expect to face punishment. I can see some argument to be made in favor of having such a registry, so that if a member nation sees that a person, say, applying for a work permit or a visa has a serious sex conviction, the nation might well choose to reject the application as a risk to public safety. But this proposal would certainly need to be fleshed out in order to specify what crimes merit inclusion on such registry, how long an entry lasts, who is allowed to have access to it (should it be accessible only to law enforcement? or should the public have a right to know whether their new neighbor is a sex offender? there are good arguments on both sides), what are the effects of registering or failing to register, etc."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Xernon
Attaché

Founded: Jan 22, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xernon » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm

"First, a warm welcome to the General Assembly. It is awesome to see a new author take the leap and propose legislation. I personally think that there can be potential and support for this idea. I would reiterate what the other delegations have advised -- flesh this out and add more detail. Pre-face the resolution with 2-3 detailed pre-ambulatory clauses explaining the "why" behind your proposal. I'd also recommend figuring out whether you want this to extend to all sexual violence/crimes or to only those involving child abuse. At one point your resolution seems to read as if it is heading in that direction. As I said, though, I do see a lot of potential in this idea. If you'd like help with drafting a version 2.0, please telegram me and I'll be happy to assist."
Personal Pronouns: He/Him/His

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019

Postby Barfleur » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:43 am

Xernon wrote:"First, a warm welcome to the General Assembly. It is awesome to see a new author take the leap and propose legislation. I personally think that there can be potential and support for this idea. I would reiterate what the other delegations have advised -- flesh this out and add more detail. Pre-face the resolution with 2-3 detailed pre-ambulatory clauses explaining the "why" behind your proposal. I'd also recommend figuring out whether you want this to extend to all sexual violence/crimes or to only those involving child abuse. At one point your resolution seems to read as if it is heading in that direction. As I said, though, I do see a lot of potential in this idea. If you'd like help with drafting a version 2.0, please telegram me and I'll be happy to assist."

"And, to add, should the author choose to include child abuse crimes, there should be a provision in place clarifying that that only covers 'abuse' of a child by an adult, rather than consensual sexual activity between two youths, each of whom might be tried separately for 'exploiting' the other."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Elsie Mortimer Wellesley. We want to echo the remarks given by the delegation for Desmosthenes and Burke as well as those given by the delegation for Separatist Peoples. Substantial differences in national laws turn an international registry into (if not a privacy nightmare) a mechanism for defamatory pre-judgement in cases where someone is registered for acts not illegal or not immoral in other countries. While people certainly would like to imagine that their nations have the "proper" balance, other nations can disagree and this ought to be examined on a case-by-case basis rather than by attaching a undistinguishing label to every passport.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:11 am

The Isles of the Celts wrote:Category: International Security

Strength: Mild
Preamble? Y'know, "The General or World Assembly, then the explanation for the needs of the proposal?

Defining a sex offender as a person who commits a crime involving a sexual act.

Noting that many sex offenders are convicted for sexual acts involving a child. This should be up in that preamble I mentioned.

Stating that the purpose of this act is to provide law enforcement agencies around the world with current information on sex offenders and to help prevent further sex crimes from being committed. This should also be in a preamble, but not like this. It should be implied by other parts in the preamble, and the title. Plus, the resolution itself.

Mandating that an international list of sex offenders within all World Assembly member states shall be compiled and maintained, and that the information of new offenders shall be added to the registry by the nation that has convicted said offender. This list shall be made available to law enforcement agencies around the world. That's... that's it? We're just making a list of sex offenders? Well, I hate to break it to you, and despite the purpose that you had for this, you probably need to make a broader proposal.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly