NATION

PASSWORD

[Temporarily Abandoned] Currency Exchange Transparency Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 29, 2021
Ex-Nation

[Temporarily Abandoned] Currency Exchange Transparency Act

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:48 pm

Draft #2 (Draft #1 can be seen in "spoiler")

Currency Exchange Transparency Act

Category: Regulation

Area of Effect: Consumer Protection

Strength: Mild

World Assembly,

Fearing that those wishing to exchange currency within a WA nation may be taken advantage of,

Recognizing that ambiguity surrounding the exchange of currencies allows for fraud to easily occur,

Establishes the following,

To aid in the eradication of such ambiguities, this Act officially task the International Securities and Exchange Commission (ISEC) with monitoring the market value of every commonly used currency (a distinction to be determined by the ISEC), determining an approximate value for said currencies based off of their observations, and publishing said approximate values at the conclusion of every week,

Furthermore,

Hereby mandates the following regulations,

1. At any given location, be it virtual or physical, where the exchange of currency takes place, the value said location determines for every currency which is accepted and/or distributed must be clearly displayed, alongside the approximated value determined by the International Securities and Exchange Commission (ISEC) at the end of the previous week. This may manifest itself in many forms, but the recommended manner is the following: At a prominent location in the physical or virtual signage, declare a specific nation’s currency (preferably the nation within which the transaction is occurring in the case of physical establishments) to have a value of 1.00. Then, list all other currencies which one may convert their currency to, or from, with their value, both as determined by the money-changer and the ISEC, relative to the currency whose value is 1.00. I.e. if currency “A” is listed to have a value of .50, as determined by the money-changer, and currency “B” is listed to have a value of 2.00, as determined by the money-changer, then for every 4 “x” of currency “A,” one receives 1 “x” of currency “B” (“x” representing the name of the currency, i.e. dollar, yen, etc.)

2.The added surcharge, or lack thereof, for said conversion must also be clearly displayed at any of the previously mentioned locations. This surcharge may manifest itself in any way deemed legal by a given nation and WA legislation, such as a flat amount taken during the transaction, a percentage taken, etc.

3.Any individual, company, organization, or the like, including forward contract participants, must be given the option of receiving a receipt of the transaction. This receipt must include the amount and type of currency the money-changing service received, the amount and type distributed in return, and the previously mentioned surcharge (or lack thereof).

Currency Exchange Transparency Act

Category: Regulation

Area of Effect: Consumer Protection

Strength: Mild

World Assembly,

Fearing that those wishing to exchange currency within a WA nation may be taken advantage of,

Recognizing that ambiguity surrounding the exchange of currencies allows for fraud to easily occur,

Hereby mandates the following regulations,

1.At any given location, be it virtual or physical, where the exchange of currency takes place, the value of every currency which said location accepts and/or distributes must be clearly displayed. This may manifest itself in many forms, but the recommended manner is the following: At a prominent location in the physical or virtual signage, declare a specific nation’s currency (preferably the nation within which the transaction is occurring in the case of physical establishments) to have a value of 1.00, then list all other currencies which one may convert their currency to, or from, with their value relative to the currency whose value is 1.00. I.e. if currency “A” is listed to have a value of .50, and currency “B” is listed to have a value of 2.00 then for every 4 “x” of currency “A,” one receives 1 “x” of currency “B” (“x” representing the name of the currency, i.e. dollar, yen, etc.)

2.The added surcharge, or lack thereof, for said conversion must also be clearly displayed at any of the previously mentioned locations. This surcharge may manifest itself in any way deemed legal by a given nation and WA, such as a flat amount taken during the transaction, a percentage taken, etc.

3.Any individual, company, organization, or the like, must be given the option of receiving a receipt of the transaction. This receipt must include the amount and type of currency the money-changing service received, the amount and type distributed in return, and the previously mentioned surcharge (or lack thereof).
Last edited by Terra Animo on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the draft!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Category and Strength?

The added surcharge, or lack thereof, for said conversion must also be clearly displayed at any of the previously mentioned locations. This surcharge may manifest itself in any way deemed legal by a given nation and WA, such as a flat amount taken during the transaction, a percentage taken, etc.

If I say that the exchange rate is 1 GBP = 2 USD, is that a surcharge?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Category and Strength?

The added surcharge, or lack thereof, for said conversion must also be clearly displayed at any of the previously mentioned locations. This surcharge may manifest itself in any way deemed legal by a given nation and WA, such as a flat amount taken during the transaction, a percentage taken, etc.

Sorry for not including the Category and Strength, I have now included them. With regards to the surcharge question, no, I would consider that the exchange itself. By surcharge, I mean subtracting 5% of the money one wishes to convert when calculating how much of the other currency to give, or withholding a set amount of money from every exchange. You know, as a way to profit off of the exchanges. Investopedia definition of surcharge- an extra fee, charge, or tax that is added on to the cost of a good or service, beyond the initially quoted price.
Last edited by Terra Animo on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:36 pm

Terra Animo wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Category and Strength?

Sorry for not including the Category and Strength, I have now included them. With regards to the surcharge question, no, I would consider that the exchange itself. By surcharge, I mean subtracting 5% of the money one wishes to convert when calculating how much of the other currency to give, or withholding a set amount of money from every exchange. You know, as a way to profit off of the exchanges. Investopedia definition of surcharge- an extra fee, charge, or tax that is added on to the cost of a good or service, beyond the initially quoted price.

Okay, so if I say the exchange rate is 1 GBP = 2 USD, I'm pretty clearly making a killing on arbitrage at this exchange rate. Is it a surcharge?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Insidium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Insidium » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:42 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Terra Animo wrote:

Okay, so if I say the exchange rate is 1 GBP = 2 USD, I'm pretty clearly making a killing on arbitrage at this exchange rate. Is it a surcharge?

The resolution's aim seems to be to compel currency exchanges to post exchange rates and surcharges in prominent locations. I don't want to speak for the author, but such a ridiculous exchange rate would still have to be posted in a prominent location, just like a surcharge would, under the proposed rules.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Terra Animo wrote:

While I get where you are coming from, it would not fall under the surcharge clause. How this would likely play out in a "real" example is that some exchange companies would advertise "no surcharge!" but have rates like the one above, but others would advertise low rates, but have high surcharges (which would have to be "clearly displayed" of course.) This may cause concern for some, but at the end of the day the consumer still has the right to "shop around," if you will, for the best rate, an endeavor which could be done easily and freely since the rates and surcharges must be "clearly displayed."

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Insidium wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Okay, so if I say the exchange rate is 1 GBP = 2 USD, I'm pretty clearly making a killing on arbitrage at this exchange rate. Is it a surcharge?

The resolution's aim seems to be to compel currency exchanges to post exchange rates and surcharges in prominent locations. I don't want to speak for the author, but such a ridiculous exchange rate would still have to be posted in a prominent location, just like a surcharge would, under the proposed rules.

Precisely!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Insidium wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Okay, so if I say the exchange rate is 1 GBP = 2 USD, I'm pretty clearly making a killing on arbitrage at this exchange rate. Is it a surcharge?

If the point of the resolution is to do consumer protection, posting a ridiculous exchange rate without posting the current market rate does not actually protect much of a consumer. Similarly, consumers could fall into the trap of "free" when one money exchange says they charge no fees (but offer worse rates) while the other one charges fees but better rates. Consumers starving at some airport are going to look like this, not plug the entire pricing scheme for both money-changers into an Excel spreadsheet.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Insidium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Insidium » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Insidium wrote:The resolution's aim seems to be to compel currency exchanges to post exchange rates and surcharges in prominent locations. I don't want to speak for the author, but such a ridiculous exchange rate would still have to be posted in a prominent location, just like a surcharge would, under the proposed rules.

If the point of the resolution is to do consumer protection, posting a ridiculous exchange rate without posting the current market rate does not actually protect much of a consumer. Similarly, consumers could fall into the trap of "free" when one money exchange says they charge no fees (but offer worse rates) while the other one charges fees but better rates. Consumers starving at some airport are going to look like this, not plug the entire pricing scheme for both money-changers into an Excel spreadsheet.

You make great points, maybe the author can address them.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Insidium wrote:The resolution's aim seems to be to compel currency exchanges to post exchange rates and surcharges in prominent locations. I don't want to speak for the author, but such a ridiculous exchange rate would still have to be posted in a prominent location, just like a surcharge would, under the proposed rules.

You make an excellent point, which leads me to an idea I tinkered with for about 15 minutes but decided to scrap, but after hearing your thoughts now have a better idea on how to word it. Maybe I could include something resembling the following: (this act) Hereby creates the Currency Exchange Bureau, this Bureau is tasked with monitoring the market and determining the average value of every commonly used (could omit commonly used but that would create quite an arduous task) currency at the conclusion of every business day… I could then include somewhere in the document that every place of exchange must “clearly provide” the average market value of each currency as according the Currency Exchange Bureau estimation at the end of the previous business day (relative to whatever currency the establishment has assigned a value of 1.00). Thoughts?
Last edited by Terra Animo on Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Insidium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Insidium » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Terra Animo wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:If the point of the resolution is to do consumer protection, posting a ridiculous exchange rate without posting the current market rate does not actually protect much of a consumer. Similarly, consumers could fall into the trap of "free" when one money exchange says they charge no fees (but offer worse rates) while the other one charges fees but better rates. Consumers starving at some airport are going to look like this, not plug the entire pricing scheme for both money-changers into an Excel spreadsheet.

You make an excellent point, which leads me to an idea I tinkered with for about 15 minutes but decided to scrap, but after hearing your thoughts now have a better idea on how to word it. Maybe I could include something resembling the following: (this act) Hereby creates the Currency Exchange Bureau, this Bureau is tasked with monitoring the market and determining the average value of every commonly used (could omit commonly used but that would create quite an arduous task) currency at the conclusion of every business day… I could then include somewhere in the document that every place of exchange must “clearly provide” the average market value of each currency as according the Currency Exchange Bureau estimation at the end of the previous business day (relative to whatever currency the establishment has assigned a value of 1.00). Thoughts?

You might want to use the ISEC, an existing World Assembly committee.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Insidium wrote:
Terra Animo wrote:

You might want to use the ISEC, an existing World Assembly committee.

If legal, I like the idea. But I’m fairly certain I can’t do that because of the “house of cards” clause the the GA rules.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Terra Animo wrote:
Insidium wrote:You might want to use the ISEC, an existing World Assembly committee.

If legal, I like the idea. But I’m fairly certain I can’t do that because of the “house of cards” clause the the GA rules.

It’s legal to reuse existing committees. Per the rules: “A committee continues to exist after its resolution is repealed if it's used in another resolution.”

This has been an OOC post.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:18 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:
Terra Animo wrote:

It’s legal to reuse existing committees. Per the rules: “A committee continues to exist after its resolution is repealed if it's used in another resolution.”

This has been an OOC post.

Good to know! Thanks so much.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Draft #2 (Inclusion of ISEC)

Postby Terra Animo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:43 pm

Draft #2 has been posted, looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!
Last edited by Terra Animo on Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insidium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Insidium » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:01 am

Terra Animo wrote:... manor ...

Might want to correct that typo before you submit it.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:07 am

Insidium wrote:
Terra Animo wrote:... manor ...

Might want to correct that typo before you submit it.

I appreciate it. Fixed.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 am

Most currency transfers are forward contracts. How would you manage that?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:14 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Most currency transfers are forward contracts. How would you manage that?

Forward contracts and their terms shall remain privatized. The transparency regarding said contracts amongst the participating parties should be furthered by the requirements of clearly posted rates, and forward contract participants shall too be offered a receipt (a clause I will insert.) But yeah, forward contracts shall remain a private contract.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:23 pm

Terra Animo wrote:

While I get where you are coming from, it would not fall under the surcharge clause. How this would likely play out in a "real" example is that some exchange companies would advertise "no surcharge!" but have rates like the one above, but others would advertise low rates, but have high surcharges (which would have to be "clearly displayed" of course.) This may cause concern for some, but at the end of the day the consumer still has the right to "shop around," if you will, for the best rate, an endeavor which could be done easily and freely since the rates and surcharges must be "clearly displayed."
OOC: Unless a nation's only allowed currency exchanges (outside of the black market) are a government-controlled monopoly...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:59 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Terra Animo wrote:
OOC: Unless a nation's only allowed currency exchanges (outside of the black market) are a government-controlled monopoly...

Very valid… but I simply don’t see anyway around government-only controlled currency exchanges, as any legislation forbidding such seems like overstepping WA bounds. I think that this act will just have to focus on countries which do not fall under that umbrella… but at least the citizens of said nations would see how much the estimated values actually are, which may marginally deter nations of government-only controlled exchanges from charging extreme rates… Just no way around it in my eyes, but hey, any nation extreme enough to monopolize all exchanges would likely also be opposed to already passed WA legislation, meaning that the amount of nations who would theoretically circumvent this legislation in the manner you describe would likely be few, in my estimation at least.

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:43 am

Nearing submission now, any thoughts on the act, even if they are as simple as “I like this,” are welcome!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:44 am

This draft is two-and-a-half days old. Why do you want to submit this so early? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Terra Animo
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Animo » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 am

Tinhampton wrote:This draft is two-and-a-half days old. Why do you want to submit this so early? :P

A mix of moderate impatience, and a mild desire to submit while there are no legal proposals so it will have full attention. I simply see very few hypothetical changes which could need to be made, I’m just kind of ready to submit and let the chips fall where they may. However, let this message not be used against me. I have put large amounts of effort into this proposal and it has been thoroughly contemplated. I wish not for it to be opposed simply on the basis of its new-ness. Its creation has been thorough, and believe the act itself displays such.
Last edited by Terra Animo on Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly