NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Maritime Assistance and Rescue Efforts

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Lake-
Secretary

Founded: Jul 26, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Lake- » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:27 am

Separatist Peoples wrote: Being merely a shareholder in the company is not the same as owning the company. Shareholders enjoy limited liability against loss.

A shareholder is a proportionate owner of the company issuing the share. So absent any protection from the law, such as limited liability they would be partial owners. You claim shareholders enjoy limited liability. Where does WA law grant this protection?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 am

The Lake- wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote: Being merely a shareholder in the company is not the same as owning the company. Shareholders enjoy limited liability against loss.

A shareholder is a proportionate owner of the company issuing the share. So absent any protection from the law, such as limited liability they would be partial owners. You claim shareholders enjoy limited liability. Where does WA law grant this protection?

"The WA does not grant this. It is inherent in how shares of investments operate. Shares of investment instruments are not coownership of all assets, but an interest less than coownership in future profits. I am not convinced this translates to coownership when the interest is in a pension portfolio. Or even a stock."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:38 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Old Hope wrote:We have considered this argument. We are surprised that you make it because the problem with that argument should be quite obvious for anyone well versed in international law.
The duty to comply with extant WA law does not apply to non-member nations.

"Member states have had to accommodate the lack of compliance among nonmembers since the world assembly was created. This was not a convincing argument in any other proposal requiring a duty to act and it is not now, given that extant law addressing perfidy also addresses this.

"Gotchyas only work when you have something of merit to argue."

This is not correct. The law, as written, gives non-member nations a significant military advantage over member nations, something the World Assembly has not been looking positively upon. General Assembly resolutions 10 and 305 clearly show that.
given that extant law addressing perfidy also addresses this.

Which law are you referring to?
Last edited by Old Hope on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

The Lake-
Secretary

Founded: Jul 26, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Lake- » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:42 am

The Lake- wrote:A shareholder is a proportionate owner of the company issuing the share. So absent any protection from the law, such as limited liability they would be partial owners. You claim shareholders enjoy limited liability. Where does WA law grant this protection?

"The WA does not grant this. It is inherent in how shares of investments operate.

problem being that this is wa law and wa law supersedes any private contract or national law. So, if you write a wa law making partial owners liable you cannot fall back on liablity protections elsewhere. They will be liable, the nature of their ownership and any liability protection thereof notwithstanding.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:51 am

Old Hope wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Member states have had to accommodate the lack of compliance among nonmembers since the world assembly was created. This was not a convincing argument in any other proposal requiring a duty to act and it is not now, given that extant law addressing perfidy also addresses this.

"Gotchyas only work when you have something of merit to argue."

This is not correct. The law, as written, gives non-member nations a significant military advantage over member nations, something the World Assembly has not been looking positively upon. General Assembly resolutions 10 and 305 clearly show that.
given that extant law addressing perfidy also addresses this.

Which law are you referring to?

"I am correct, ambassador. Extant law addresses perfidious action and member responses to such. It is hardly my problem if your research skills fail you, given that I have clearly not been seeking your support."

The Lake- wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"The WA does not grant this. It is inherent in how shares of investments operate.

problem being that this is wa law and wa law supersedes any private contract or national law. So, if you write a wa law making partial owners liable you cannot fall back on liablity protections elsewhere. They will be liable, the nature of their ownership and any liability protection thereof notwithstanding.

"Nothing in this law alters the nature of investment ownership, ambassador. While I agree that WA law supercedes national law, the WA operates on limited powers, and where it does not explicitly change national investment instrument law, such an implied modification cannot be reasonably read into the proposal. Please do not take my tone as condescending or dismissive, ambassador: this was an excellent concern that I was happy to address. I do not agree with your assessment, but my disagreement should not be taken as disrespect in your case."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:04 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I am correct, ambassador. Extant law addresses perfidious action and member responses to such. It is hardly my problem if your research skills fail you, given that I have clearly not been seeking your support."

Or maybe you are wrong.
We considered World Assembly resolution 334 but it does not help your argument. There is no other WA resolution that fits your description.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:25 am

Old Hope wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"I am correct, ambassador. Extant law addresses perfidious action and member responses to such. It is hardly my problem if your research skills fail you, given that I have clearly not been seeking your support."

Or maybe you are wrong.
We considered World Assembly resolution 334 but it does not help your argument. There is no other WA resolution that fits your description.

"This quality of research and reasoning is precisely why this delegation is not interested in making your edits.

"Initially, the act of rendering aid does not require overt rescue, and the proposal makes accommodations for this. To the extent you fear a carrier group would be peeled off it's course, you are wrong.

"Further, to the extent a state uses false indications of rescue as cover for a military goal, those craft are combatants falsifying the use of the status of hors de combat and members are not obligated to accord such protections on them. As they are not actually in need of rescue, their mayday is invalid.

"Any competent legal theorist would see several options available: provide aid without physically offering rescue, verifying the tactic as perfidious and taking action to avoid such entanglement under the associated provisions. As a hors de combat craft and crew are entitled to the provisions of surrendering combatants, and these craft are engaged in hostile military maneuvers, the entire issue is accommodated for.

"Ambassador, I am quite tired of dealing with your poor arguments. In the future, should you feel the need to comment, I would take it as a personal favor if you simply didn't."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:26 am

Bump

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:52 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Bump

Seeing as we have nothing on the books now currently covering this vital area of international security, please just submit it.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:56 am

"Re: the formatting. I would suggest making your current 1, 2, 3 a subclauses a, b, c and have the other clauses as numbered ones. I think that would make the formatting less awkward. Otherwise, we concur with the statement from the delegation from Wayneactia."
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:08 am

"The People's Republic of Bananaistan is opposed due to the charge levied on the General Fund, which is not, despite protests to the contrary, a bottomless pit, and also takes contributions from landlocked nations.

"The definition of vessel seems overly broad. It's hardly reasonable to expect an amateur angler in a dinghy to be able to relay aid requests, maintain logs and detailed records, and so on.

"Considering all member states have universal health care, mentioning medical expenses is probably not necessary."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"The People's Republic of Bananaistan is opposed due to the charge levied on the General Fund, which is not, despite protests to the contrary, a bottomless pit, and also takes contributions from landlocked nations.

"The definition of vessel seems overly broad. It's hardly reasonable to expect an amateur angler in a dinghy to be able to relay aid requests, maintain logs and detailed records, and so on.

"Considering all member states have universal health care, mentioning medical expenses is probably not necessary."

"If a small dinghy is incapable of rendering aid, it is not obligated to do so. How the owner elects to handle these recording obligations is entirely up to them. (OOC: oceanfaring dinghies are generally required to have radios on board irl).

"Medical expenditure is mentioned as a catch-all. Inclusion is better than the alternative.

"Finally, the cost to the General Fund is negligible given that the General Fund is the last resort. However, to the extent that it is burdened, the expenditure is paying for improved safety on international shipping, which reduces the costs and risks of international trade. The benefit wrought by the expense should turn the General Fund a profit when assessing contributions as a function of improved commerce."

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"The People's Republic of Bananaistan is opposed due to the charge levied on the General Fund, which is not, despite protests to the contrary, a bottomless pit, and also takes contributions from landlocked nations.

"If a small dinghy is incapable of rendering aid, it is not obligated to do so. How the owner elects to handle these recording obligations is entirely up to them. (OOC: oceanfaring dinghies are generally required to have radios on board irl).

"Medical expenditure is mentioned as a catch-all. Inclusion is better than the alternative.

"Finally, the cost to the General Fund is negligible given that the General Fund is the last resort. However, to the extent that it is burdened, the expenditure is paying for improved safety on international shipping, which reduces the costs and risks of international trade. The benefit wrought by the expense should turn the General Fund a profit when assessing contributions as a function of improved commerce."

"The current text makes no distinction between ocean faring vessels and non-ocean faring dinghies, and while the distinction between capable and incapable of rendering aid is inherently present, there is no such distinction in respect of the record keeping requirements. I do not think it's reasonable that children in a paddle boat on a small lake should be required to record their "journeys".
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Bananaistan wrote:

"The current text makes no distinction between ocean faring vessels and non-ocean faring dinghies, and while the distinction between capable and incapable of rendering aid is inherently present, there is no such distinction in respect of the record keeping requirements. I do not think it's reasonable that children in a paddle boat on a small lake should be required to record their "journeys".

"The children should consult an attorney."

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Bananaistan wrote:

Would that be a vessel?
“Vessel” means any vehicle that travels on or below the surface of a water body which engages in, enables, or otherwise supports commerce,

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Bananaistan wrote:

"Regarding the updated definition of vessel, perhaps a further edit to be clear is necessary. If the children have rented their paddle boat, is the vessel supporting commerce? Also the angler in a dinghy who might happen to sell the fish he catches, does that make the dinghy a commerce supporting vessel?

"Also, in all cases, the vessel itself engaging in commerce is a bit clunky. A shop might occupy a building but the building itself doesn't engage anything?

"Further point. A millionaire's pleasure yacht that has much facilities and resources should not be exempt."
Last edited by Bananaistan on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:07 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"The children should consult an attorney."

"Regarding the updated definition of vessel, perhaps a further edit to be clear is necessary. If the children have rented their paddle boat, is the vessel supporting commerce? Also the angler in a dinghy who might happen to sell the fish he catches, does that make the dinghy a commerce supporting vessel?"

"The former seems unlikely. The vessel is not facilitating commerce. The latter would be commerce. Said angler needs to comply with commercial regulations, and should get no pass merely because he or she uses a dinghy. Commercial activity bears commercial costs."

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:38 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
"Regarding the updated definition of vessel, perhaps a further edit to be clear is necessary. If the children have rented their paddle boat, is the vessel supporting commerce? Also the angler in a dinghy who might happen to sell the fish he catches, does that make the dinghy a commerce supporting vessel?"

"The former seems unlikely. The vessel is not facilitating commerce. The latter would be commerce. Said angler needs to comply with commercial regulations, and should get no pass merely because he or she uses a dinghy. Commercial activity bears commercial costs."

This is not really a satisfactory answer. These requirements are a burden to anyone, but the burden is not entirely proportionate to the size of the vessel.
The burden for small-sized vessels is much greater in relation to the income they produce.
However, very small vessels are not built for travel far out in the sea anyways. So why do the owners of these vessels have to write a log? We only see negative effects here, for no substantial gain. That's not sound policy.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Old Hope wrote:This is not really a satisfactory answer. These requirements are a burden to anyone, but the burden is not entirely proportionate to the size of the vessel.
The burden for small-sized vessels is much greater in relation to the income they produce.

"Vessels too small to carry a radio and a logbook are too small to be effective at commercial enterprise. The requirements herein are no greater than any common-sense measures for personal safety afloat, ambassador."

However, very small vessels are not built for travel far out in the sea anyways. So why do the owners of these vessels have to write a log? We only see negative effects here, for no substantial gain. That's not sound policy.

"Vessels needing to record their course, range, and mayday signals is a greater burden than facilitating rescue of stricken vessels? Ambassador, have you ever been on a boat? These efforts are standard activities for maritime travel for commercial vessels anyway to log fuel consumption and ensure effective course management. Most modern vessels record this electronically. Most recreational vessels do this. Are you truly so obtuse that you find standard operating procedure more onerous than protecting the most lucrative lanes of commercial transit? This may be the worst argument I have heard from you to date."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:47 pm

Old Hope wrote:This is not really a satisfactory answer. These requirements are a burden to anyone, but the burden is not entirely proportionate to the size of the vessel.

"Vessels too small to carry a radio and a logbook are too small to be effective at commercial enterprise. The requirements herein are no greater than any common-sense measures for personal safety afloat, ambassador."

"Hmmm"

The latter would be commerce. Said angler needs to comply with commercial regulations, and should get no pass merely because he or she uses a dinghy. Commercial activity bears commercial costs.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Vessels too small to carry a radio and a logbook are too small to be effective at commercial enterprise. The requirements herein are no greater than any common-sense measures for personal safety afloat, ambassador."

"Hmmm"

The latter would be commerce. Said angler needs to comply with commercial regulations, and should get no pass merely because he or she uses a dinghy. Commercial activity bears commercial costs.

"Yes. And, as such, no rational actor would use such a craft for commercial activity. This is a meaningless argument about a non-issue."

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:51 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
"Hmmm"

"Yes. And, as such, no rational actor would use such a craft for commercial activity. This is a meaningless argument about a non-issue."

"So there's literally no angler in the universe who catches fish from a dinghy and occasionally sells the odd fish? This is not credible.

"Also, don't forget the millionaire's yacht issue. Commercial activity is probably not the best way to qualify the definition of vessel."
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:06 pm

OOC: and don't forget the 'tech levels' factor, either; I'm sure that there are nations in the WA within which radios (or other means of relaying distress messages to further vessels) are unknown, or are known but are still too unreliable &/or expensive for this requirement to be practical.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:19 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Yes. And, as such, no rational actor would use such a craft for commercial activity. This is a meaningless argument about a non-issue."

"So there's literally no angler in the universe who catches fish from a dinghy and occasionally sells the odd fish? This is not credible.

"Also, don't forget the millionaire's yacht issue. Commercial activity is probably not the best way to qualify the definition of vessel."

"If they do, they ought comply with all laws applicable to commercial enterprises. A millionaire's yacht that engages in commercial activity should be equally bound. I am unconvinced."

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:34 pm

Bananaistan wrote:

"If they do, they ought comply with all laws applicable to commercial enterprises. A millionaire's yacht that engages in commercial activity should be equally bound. I am unconvinced."

“With respect Ambassador, it’s you who should be convincing me. The current proposal effectively outlaws on water amateur angling if the angler ever sells one fish. At the same time it exempts rich people’s pleasure cruises. One group do not have resources and would be forced to jump through ridiculous record keeping hoops, the other have all the resources and yet would have a WA mandate to sail right by any maritime disaster they encounter. This is bad policy. The People’s Republic of Bananaistan is opposed.

“Also preventing the state from recovering its losses while private actors can is bad too.”
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly