NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal: Promotion of Bee-Keeping, GA#224

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Gudicia
Civil Servant

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Repeal: Promotion of Bee-Keeping, GA#224

Postby Gudicia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:23 am

The General Assembly,

Recognising the importance of maintaining Apiculture and encouraging free trade,

Reaffirming the diverse environments of member nations and their complex ecosystems,

Concerned that GA#224 fails to adequately observe the biodiversity of the bee clade (Anthophila) globally,

Worried that GA#224 explicitly ignores the environmental implications concerning the introduction of non-native bee species, and the harmful effect that introduced species of bees can have on a nation’s wider ecosystem,

Distraught that GA#224 forces member nations to allow the introduction of non-native and potentially invasive species of bees into their nation’s ecosystems, wholly at the discretion of Apiarists,

Observes the implications of GA#224, which requires that all member nations:

• “Allow the importation and exportation of any bees” (Article I, Section II), with no concern for the ecosystems of member nations, and no concern for the welfare of bees. Furthermore, this Article fails to recognise the preferred environment of the bees themselves, who have adapted overtime to their local ecosystems – and whose displacement into an environment with a new ecosystem and different climate could adversely affect their own health.
  • “Limit any … customs duties, tariffs, or other taxation [placed] on the international trade in bees, bee-keeping equipment, and/or the products of bee-keeping, to levels that do not exceed taxation on the internal trade in such goods within their borders” (Article II, Section II), with no regard for the diverse economic policies of member nations.
  • “Recognise the legal right of people from adjoining nations to reclaim swarms of bees that those people owned within those other nations under those other nations' own laws but that have strayed or even been lured across the international border” (Article IV, Section I), which explicitly provides Apiarists with the ability to avert the border control of member nations – creating a so-called ‘Bee Exemption’ which allows Apiarists to avoid customs officials entirely, in contravention of the border policies otherwise set by WA members.

Understanding the importance of balancing the impact of Free Trade with the Environment of member nations,

Noting the way in which GA#224 completely eschews environmental protections in favour of the Beekeeping Industry, granting Apiarists a free pass to circumvent environmental, economic, and immigration protections,

Observing the dire implications of this lack of consideration for the local environments of member nations and for the welfare of bees themselves,

Hereby repeals GA#224 “Promotion of Bee-Keeping”.

First-time poster, so feel free to leave feedback below. The Resolution concerned in the post can be found at https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_past_resolution/id=224/council=1.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm

It is not "any bees", it is only bees whose possession -- under the applicable conditions -- in your nation would be legal anyway. If you restrict or outright ban domestic use of a a particular species then you can similarly restrict or ban importation of that species.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:01 pm

OOC: Welcome to the General Assembly forums. Nice to see a first-time poster take the time to draft here! I would suggest keeping different iterations of your drafts in your OP within spoilers ("Draft One", "Draft Two", etc.)

I will read over this draft further, but for now, if I were you I'd focus on amending the "all bees" part. This is inaccurate as Bears Armed has pointed out, and is considered an "Honest Mistake". This will render your proposal illegal if it is submitted, so that's the most pressing concern for you to address right now.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Gudicia
Civil Servant

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gudicia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:47 am

Understood, I'll work on redrafting now. Thanks for the clarification!

Return to General Assembly