NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] End Conversion Therapy

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chiloshia
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 05, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Chiloshia » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Trellania wrote:
just as this proposal bans the use of conversion therapy even for volunteers, the earlier ban on torture bans people from volunteering to have a car battery hooked up to their chest and be alternatively beaten and waterboarded by their government.

"Then the forms of conversion therapy that inflict severe pain are already banned, and with that in concert with GAR #437, this resolution is unnecessary and unworthy of its own bureaucracy."

"Venereal disease can be dealt with using proper birth control devices.

"And increased government healthcare costs for the terminally ill can be dealt with on the side of economic policy, either increasing taxes or the GDP, depending on which increase maintains more national stability at the present time. This does not nullify the claim that a decrease in the amount of homosexual encounters, especially among men, by any consensual and life-respecting means, would result in a sufficient decrease in the transmissions of venereal disease to make it a comparable calculation to the cost argument for why the WA permits euthanasia legality."

"I must admit confusion as to why traffic in June is such an issue; are people having flash..." She pauses as she remembers where she is and that these transcripts are public."... 'adult group fun events' in the streets? I cannot imagine any other reason, as everything else can be handled with proper planning and response training. I must admire the willingness of your nation to allow such events if that is the case, though I admit I must wonder why you have not developed proper planning and response procedures for such. Unless... is it your law enforcement doing the flash 'adult group fun events?' Oh my..." The knight puts her hand over her mouth in mock shock. "That is one way to ensure your police forces feel comfortable with each other.

"I am sure that the existence of the activist liturgical festival known as 'pride month' is understood to exist by both the delegate from Trellania and the World Assembly, that its main features are parades and that the size of these parades correlates to the number of people who are active in the formal activist community of persons with same-sex attraction (exclusive or otherwise) and gender dysphoria. The suppression in society of any viewpoint offering a different course of action for such persons to pursue than involvement in said community will cause such events to grow in size and have a larger footprint on the commute times of hardworking citizens in urban areas.

Furthermore, not every particular case of potential state utility applies to Chiloshia. The WA affects all nations within its voting pool and therefore arguments can be made for the conditions of all these nations, including whichever ones do partake in those 'Public adult group fun events'"

If you want [birth rates] to rise

"Obviously that's what we were suggesting! We do already offer tax breaks. If the portion of people whose attractions are sufficiently malleable (the malleability of sexuality varying from person to person) as to not merely defeat their attraction to the same sex, but to develop heterosexuality, are allowed, if they so choose, to pursue said therapy in their own striving for it to work, the result could further augment the repopulation rate in favor of growth."

Regards,

- Lady Ərańa
H.I.M, DACU II, FIRST EMPEROR OF HOUSE KÆBEGIŠ, IS CROWNED.

Chiloshian summers are too sunny for many rainbows to form.

Trellania
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Libervalley wrote:The government of Libervalley will not ban activity that the government it has no business banning and let a free people make their own choices. If an adult under their own free will wants to engage in conversion therapy there is no reason for the government to intervene. In addition minors are not old enough to fully understand, and make those life changing decisions at such an early age and therefore the responsibility should be left to the parents/guardians, not the government. The Libervalley government questions whether the conversion therapy itself has negative effects or the confused state of mind and search for meaning is responsible for the mental health deterioration. If the conversion therapy was the cause of negative health effects than why do people of different sexual orientation continue to have extremely elevated levels of suicide and mental health problems even after being "accepted"? For the reasons stated above the government of Libervalley will not be supporting this resolution.

"It sounds to me like your nation needs to improve its mental health services, ambassador. We do not have those issues with high levels of suicide and mental health problems for those who have... what is the word in this assembly? ...transitioned. But the science is clear: The conversion therapy causes severe mental health effects."

Chiloshia wrote:"Then the forms of conversion therapy that inflict severe pain are already banned, and with that in concert with GAR #437, this resolution is unnecessary and unworthy of its own bureaucracy."

"I would advise you to read over the transcript of the drafting phase, ambassador. This resolution is a replacement of that one. The repeal of 437 will follow this one being passed, predicated on the idea this one covers the same ground that one does. It's a replace-and-repeal. A strange way of doing things by Trellanian standards, but given the nature of some of the arguments presented against I can see the elegance and necessity of it."

"And increased government healthcare costs for the terminally ill can be dealt with on the side of economic policy, either increasing taxes or the GDP, depending on which increase maintains more national stability at the present time. This does not nullify the claim that a decrease in the amount of homosexual encounters, especially among men, by any consensual and life-respecting means, would result in a sufficient decrease in the transmissions of venereal disease to make it a comparable calculation to the cost argument for why the WA permits euthanasia legality."

"A decrease of sexual encounters of any sort will result in a decrease of venereal disease. Your focus on homosexual men does not suggest any truthfulness in this statement, given that homosexual women would logically be at risk as well. Or the fact people who use unregulated prostitutes in other nations would be at far greater risk than any other group. This honestly stinks of a 'gay men are icky' argument disguised as being about disease prevention."

"I am sure that the existence of the activist liturgical festival known as 'pride month' is understood to exist by both the delegate from Trellania and the World Assembly, that its main features are parades and that the size of these parades correlates to the number of people who are active in the formal activist community of persons with same-sex attraction (exclusive or otherwise) and gender dysphoria. The suppression in society of any viewpoint offering a different course of action for such persons to pursue than involvement in said community will cause such events to grow in size and have a larger footprint on the commute times of hardworking citizens in urban areas.

Dame Allania simply stares at the delegate from Chiloshia like she grew three heads, stripped naked, turned purple, and started flinging manure while hopping up and down on the table and making noises like an irate ape. One can tell by the specific quirk of eyebrow and the exact degree her head is turned.

The knight stands, walks to the door, and calls in her nameless assistant. After she explains what the delegate from Chiloshia said to him, the nameless assistant gives the Chiloshian ambassador the same exact stare Dame Allania had. Finally, after a bit of whispering while the two confer, Dame Allania wanders back over as the assistant leaves the room. The assistant can be seen shaking his head sadly as he leaves.

"Ambassador, please forgive me. I think whatever translation program this place uses suffered a massive glitch. Because what you said doesn't make any sense. You're... implying there is some kind of month where people worship same sex attraction and gender dysphoria? I don't see how that connects in any way to pride, either. Such a concept does not exist in Trellania, and frankly we don't care what other nations worship as long as they understand that Trellania does not give any special treatment to religious organizations no matter what. So, um, you're free to come to Trellania and worship gay people if you wish?"

She gives a confused shrug.

"But, um, don't be surprised if Trellanians in general don't join in your festivities. Most of us honestly do not care what gender you are or who you find attractive. Or how many people you find attractive and choose to partner with. The Queen and Dukes have more pressing concerns than what people do in their bedrooms."

Furthermore, not every particular case of potential state utility applies to Chiloshia. The WA affects all nations within its voting pool and therefore arguments can be made for the conditions of all these nations, including whichever ones do partake in those 'Public adult group fun events'"

"If it does not apply to you, then I do not see why you are wasting the time of this assembly and those voting by talking about it. Though, by the sounds of things, maybe you should partake in more of those 'public adult group fun events.' You could use the relaxation."

"Obviously that's what we were suggesting! We do already offer tax breaks. If the portion of people whose attractions are sufficiently malleable (the malleability of sexuality varying from person to person) as to not merely defeat their attraction to the same sex, but to develop heterosexuality, are allowed, if they so choose, to pursue said therapy in their own striving for it to work, the result could further augment the repopulation rate in favor of growth."

"And a unicorn could fly out of my butt, prance around repealing all of the World Assembly resolutions, and then destroy the world's nuclear stockpiles before being defeated by a ninja who is also a doctor. We deal with what is likely to happen, and conversion therapy is less likely to get the results you wish than the aforementioned unicorn is to make a showing during this discussion. And that is according to the science on the matter."
Last edited by Trellania on Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Canasius
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 06, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Canasius » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Canasius is voting against this proposal on account of part (d).

Chiloshia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiloshia » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 pm

Notes of Clarification on Chiloshian statements.

"We are aware that the intention of this bill is to obliterate existing and appropriate law to immediately install more draconian measures. That is not a refutation of the fact that this will be an unworthy and strenuous bureaucratic undertaking."

"We also remind nations present that it has been frequently found that the typical method of intercourse that occurs in male homosexuality bears a statistically higher transmission rate for several venereal diseases, among them the most deadly, than that of the typical method of heterosexuality or female homosexuality. Chiloshia is also unaware of any resolution banning member states from forming whatever prostitution laws they see fit to curb their role in transmission. In other words, it is left to a nation's own interpretation of state utility."

You're... implying there is some kind of month where people worship same sex attraction and gender dysphoria?

"Ha! Basically! Some countries (not Chiloshia) even supplement, edit or replace their flags with banners representing the activist movements. Our version tends to lack certain parts of said community given what the traditional status quo has been for us. But they still make some nuisances of themselves frequently in the sixth month of the year"

"Furthermore, using our power as WA voters to subvert the will of countries with larger movements to pursue the potential state utility. If they judge it favorable to allow the presence of a voluntary alternative to the activist monoculture in the form of voluntary conversion therapy, that is their business. Therefore, any selection of issues they may have is valid in this debate."

maybe you should partake in more of those 'public adult group fun events.' You could use the relaxation."

"The private ones more than suffice. I'm quite satisfied by my husband and co-wife already."

"This is about defending liberty and the national self-determination to keep victimless actions legal if they wish. As you said, abuses like electroshock are banned by existing torture statutes as they do result in victimization. What is so wrong about a consenting man deciding he wants help in dissociating other men from his sexual arousal, or a consenting woman seeking compassionate and loving assistance in becoming comfortable with the reality of her female body?"

-Lady Ərańa
Last edited by Chiloshia on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:08 pm

Chiloshia wrote:"We are aware that the intention of this bill is to obliterate existing and appropriate law to immediately install more draconian measures. That is not a refutation of the fact that this will be an unworthy and strenuous bureaucratic undertaking."

"I do not see how it would be any more strenuous than enforcing any of the already-existing legislation of this assembly."

"We also remind nations present that it has been frequently found that the typical method of intercourse that occurs in male homosexuality bears a statistically higher transmission rate for several venereal diseases, among them the most deadly, than that of the typical method of heterosexuality or female homosexuality. Chiloshia is also unaware of any resolution banning member states from forming whatever prostitution laws they see fit to curb their role in transmission. In other words, it is left to a nation's own interpretation of state utility."

"Given statements made by your delegation thus far, I must question how much of this results from actual research and how much results from discrimination policies having consequences that reach beyond sexual orientation. And no amount of attempting to evade being called out on that will change the fact it is clearly present, especially when you seem to be fixated upon that particular group."

OOC: And it's actually factually wrong that only men who have sex with men have a higher rate; women who have sex with women and women who have sex with men and women also show an elevation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3575167/ Now, back to IC.

"Ha! Basically! Some countries (not Chiloshia) even supplement, edit or replace their flags with banners representing the activist movements. Our version tends to lack certain parts of said community given what the traditional status quo has been for us. But they still make some nuisances of themselves frequently in the sixth month of the year"

Dame Allania narrows her eyes. "Given the strangeness of what you are saying, I have severe doubts about the veracity of your statements. Nations do not simply change their flag for a month for a religious ceremony of only part of their population. This is beginning to sound like you are letting your obviously-rampant homophobia color your views and statements."

"Furthermore, using our power as WA voters to subvert the will of countries with larger movements to pursue the potential state utility. If they judge it favorable to allow the presence of a voluntary alternative to the activist monoculture in the form of voluntary conversion therapy, that is their business. Therefore, any selection of issues they may have is valid in this debate."

"You still are not providing any proof that people of sound mind would seek conversion therapy. As long as they are not of sound mind, they do not have a chance at truly making a decision of their free will."

"The private ones more than suffice. I'm quite satisfied by my husband and co-wife already."

"Does anyone in your nation have co-husbands? Or is it co-wives only?"

"This is about defending liberty and the national self-determination to keep victimless actions legal if they wish. As you said, abuses like electroshock are banned by existing torture statutes as they do result in victimization. What is so wrong about a consenting man deciding he wants help in dissociating other men from his sexual arousal, or a consenting woman seeking compassionate and loving assistance in becoming comfortable with the reality of her female body?"

"I'm beginning to get an idea of why this had to be its own specific legislation rather than covered by the general ban on torture. And I will note you argue self-determination while providing no evidence of a sound mind to make the decision. And you claim it is victimless, yet people can be lured or deceived into making harmful decisions; just because a person made the choice does not mean they are not a victim.

"And I note what you say about 'consenting,' yet given your obvious distaste about homosexuality and the fact I've already caught you lying about whatever this Pride Month is without any knowledge of the subject leads me to suspect that 'consenting' is another falsehood and they are instead pressured into it.

"I think it is obvious why you are so concerned about the text of this resolution. It would ban your sneaky way of forcing people into conversion therapy."
Last edited by Trellania on Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Controlist Ferwerter Union
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 24, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Controlist Ferwerter Union » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:42 am

Our people wish to remain a harmonious union. All people must be the same and if conversion therapy of any kind helps ensure this uniformity it should be widely implemented, not banned.
All hail Stahitmao!

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:50 am

The United Regions Alliance recommends that nations vote for this resolution. https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1562575
Scalizagasti | iiwiki page | he/him

URA WA Affairs Department Head
Senator in Mariner Trench
Former President of The Great Experiment

Don't let them tell you it can't be done - Jack Layton

Chiloshia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiloshia » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:32 am

"You still are not providing any proof that people of sound mind would seek conversion therapy.

"'All who don't behave as I believe they should in a hard situation are insane,' is a tempting philosophy. But we are not so ignorant as to believe it. The majority of your people may disagree with the reasoning of someone in their community who would want medical assistance in living in accordance with conservative ideals in which religions view some of their habits as unsavory, and the majority of our people may disagree with the reasoning that anyone should live a life of unfettered epicurean pleasure seeking in ways that are utterly and definitionally unproductive as a category, but the person in our country who does so is not branded insane, nor referred by the state at any point whatsoever to such a practice as the resolution at vote would prohibit, nor incarcerated. Nor is any minor permitted to be subjected to conversion therapy, nor anyone over whom a power of attorney exists. Accusations to the contrary are baseless slander colored by a dangerous tendency for cultural paternalism over the world by those who levy them."

Nations do not simply change their flag for a month for a religious ceremony of only part of their population.

"'Don't believe your lying eyes, o people of Chiloshia. What you have seen occur among several nation states doesn't really happen, and why would you care if it does, anyway?' We understand if whatever cultural history of religion your nation has narrows your view of what religion is to doctrinal beliefs about a deity or multiple, rather than any collection of practices that are done in service some non-falsifiable and non-confirmable belief about hyper-reality: the state of the human nature and spirit in the universe, and how we should therefore live. Pride Month and its parades are categorically in line with this latter definition. As for the flags, oh yes some do. We care because we do not wish to submit to a globe-spanning empire that seeks to instruct us on how to think, and are beginning to suspect that that is what the WA intends to be, something we feared, but hoped was not the case."

"We understand the likely futility of any further debate with a nation so culturally incompatible with our own."

Regards,

-İ.Ə

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:00 am

Chiloshia wrote:"'All who don't behave as I believe they should in a hard situation are insane,' is a tempting philosophy. But we are not so ignorant as to believe it. The majority of your people may disagree with the reasoning of someone in their community who would want medical assistance in living in accordance with conservative ideals in which religions view some of their habits as unsavory, and the majority of our people may disagree with the reasoning that anyone should live a life of unfettered epicurean pleasure seeking in ways that are utterly and definitionally unproductive as a category, but the person in our country who does so is not branded insane, nor referred by the state at any point whatsoever to such a practice as the resolution at vote would prohibit, nor incarcerated. Nor is any minor permitted to be subjected to conversion therapy, nor anyone over whom a power of attorney exists. Accusations to the contrary are baseless slander colored by a dangerous tendency for cultural paternalism over the world by those who levy them."

"In other words, you have no scientific evidence at all and are trying to bluff your way out of it."

"'Don't believe your lying eyes, o people of Chiloshia. What you have seen occur among several nation states doesn't really happen, and why would you care if it does, anyway?' We understand if whatever cultural history of religion your nation has narrows your view of what religion is to doctrinal beliefs about a deity or multiple, rather than any collection of practices that are done in service some non-falsifiable and non-confirmable belief about hyper-reality: the state of the human nature and spirit in the universe, and how we should therefore live. Pride Month and its parades are categorically in line with this latter definition. As for the flags, oh yes some do. We care because we do not wish to submit to a globe-spanning empire that seeks to instruct us on how to think, and are beginning to suspect that that is what the WA intends to be, something we feared, but hoped was not the case."

"I'm still not buying that it's a religious celebration, and frankly you've not spouted one single bit of evidence it is. Just a bunch of useless rhetoric that doesn't convince anyone with an education above that of a grade schooler."

"We understand the likely futility of any further debate with a nation so culturally incompatible with our own."

"If you actually had evidence or bothered to legitimately debate, it would be a different matter."

Laka Strolistandiler
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 am

Trellania wrote:"If it does not apply to you, then I do not see why you are wasting the time of this assembly and those voting by talking about it. Though, by the sounds of things, maybe you should partake in more of those 'public adult group fun events.' You could use the relaxation."

How dare you suggest something this outrageous and disdainful? Should I, or I suppose the Ambassador, even think of doing something like this, we couldn’t possibly even remotely clean ourselves from the disdain and the dishonor! Most likely I would’ve been pressed into honorable death, pretty much like they did with my pre-predecessor.
||||||||||||||||||||
I am not a Russian but a Cameroonian born in this POS.
An autocratic semi feudal monarchy with elements of aristocracy. Society absurdly hierarchical, cosplaying Edwardian Britain. A British-ish colonial empire incorporating some partially democratic nations who just want some WMD’s
Pronouns up to your choice I can be a girl if I want to so refer to me as she/her.
I reserve the right to /stillme any one-liners if my post is at least two lines long

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:25 am

Laka Strolistandiler wrote:How dare you suggest something this outrageous and disdainful? Should I, or I suppose the Ambassador, even think of doing something like this, we couldn’t possibly even remotely clean ourselves from the disdain and the dishonor! Most likely I would’ve been pressed into honorable death, pretty much like they did with my pre-predecessor.

"Ambassador, given that is the only thing I said you are taking offense to, it sounds like you are jealous that Lady Ərańa and I are getting more action in the bedroom than you are. Which, I assure you, is not a topic of discussion for this assembly; if you wish to vent your jealousy, feel free to take up drinking in the bar and speak to the staff. I'm certain that with a suitably sizable tip, you can convince one of them to listen."

Laka Strolistandiler
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:28 am

Trellania wrote:"Ambassador, given that is the only thing I said you are taking offense to, it sounds like you are jealous that Lady Ərańa and I are getting more action in the bedroom than you are. Which, I assure you, is not a topic of discussion for this assembly; if you wish to vent your jealousy, feel free to take up drinking in the bar and speak to the staff. I'm certain that with a suitably sizable tip, you can convince one of them to listen."

That’s… Not the only thing that offended me (OOC: I had to publish the post unfinished because reasons). However your continual appealing to “scientific data that proves conversion therapy is a barbaric and inhuman practice” is my most notable offense. This is a purely technical subject and during our many years of experiments and research in post-birth human genetic modifications we were able to find ways to alter person’s mind on a genetic level, which is one of the prime ways of how our conversion therapy works. It’s far more successful than the backwards methods many less technologically advanced nations use.
||||||||||||||||||||
An autocratic semi feudal monarchy with elements of aristocracy. Society absurdly hierarchical, cosplaying Edwardian Britain. A British-ish colonial empire incorporating some partially democratic nations who just want some WMD’s
Pronouns up to your choice I can be a girl if I want to so refer to me as she/her.
I reserve the right to /stillme any one-liners if my post is at least two lines long

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:36 am

Laka Strolistandiler wrote:That’s… Not the only thing that offended me (OOC: I had to publish the post unfinished because reasons). However your continual appealing to “scientific data that proves conversion therapy is a barbaric and inhuman practice” is my most notable offense. This is a purely technical subject and during our many years of experiments and research in post-birth human genetic modifications we were able to find ways to alter person’s mind on a genetic level, which is one of the prime ways of how our conversion therapy works. It’s far more successful than the backwards methods many less technologically advanced nations use.

Dame Allania raises an eyebrow at the fact her accusation of jealousy was not denied. But she decides not to address it.

"And do you have evidence people of sound mind would seek such a procedure?"

Laka Strolistandiler
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:40 am

Trellania wrote:Dame Allania raises an eyebrow at the fact her accusation of jealousy was not denied. But she decides not to address it.

"And do you have evidence people of sound mind would seek such a procedure?"

Upon noticing the Ambassador raise an eyebrow, Obraztsova would sigh: “Amd why would I deny this! Yes, I somewhat envy you, but pursing such desires will eventually lead to my demise in both mental, religious and physical sense. You remember what I’ve said about being volunteered into honorable death, right?
Yes of course I do! Our nation’s views and ideals differ greatly from those that the general world holds. Our culture holds little to no regard for an individual, instead focusing almost entirely on the collective. An average Lakan would’ve had completely no problem with changing his genetics to become who he wishes to be to be a more effective member of the society. As simple as it gets, Ambasador.”
||||||||||||||||||||

Chiloshia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiloshia » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:54 pm

Trellania wrote: "And do you have evidence people of sound mind would seek such a procedure?"

"Your logic is circular, your experts say that 'only insane people would voluntarily seek this treatment, therefore any who would voluntarily seek this treatment are insane, and because they are regarded as insane rather than of sound mind, they cannot be counted as evidence that people of sound mind would seek this treatment, so all the evidence says that only insane people would voluntarily seek this treatment.' We can trade the banal, contrived sophistries of our respective intelligentsias (funded studies) for the whole voting period and neither of us will change anyone's mind. I know you will remain unconvinced and so I allow us both to not waste our time."

"We cannot abide your definitions, because they are circular, debate fails because we both become, in the eyes of the other, a pigeon defecating on the chessboard."

"It is typically reasonable, however, that it is changes to the status quo (like this resolution) that must justify themselves beyond a reasonable doubt. The status quo is the defendant in the consideration of any legislation, and our nation has fully concluded that the status quo is not guilty in this affair, and will not be party to its conviction."

-İ.Ə
Last edited by Chiloshia on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Laka Strolistandiler wrote:Upon noticing the Ambassador raise an eyebrow, Obraztsova would sigh: “Amd why would I deny this! Yes, I somewhat envy you, but pursing such desires will eventually lead to my demise in both mental, religious and physical sense. You remember what I’ve said about being volunteered into honorable death, right?

"I wasn't going to say anything, ambassador."

Yes of course I do! Our nation’s views and ideals differ greatly from those that the general world holds. Our culture holds little to no regard for an individual, instead focusing almost entirely on the collective. An average Lakan would’ve had completely no problem with changing his genetics to become who he wishes to be to be a more effective member of the society. As simple as it gets, Ambasador.”

"That's not sounding like you have any evidence. That's just sounding like your society never bothered to collect any because it does not value the individual enough to consider the study."

Chiloshia wrote:"Your logic is circular, your experts say that 'only insane people would voluntarily seek this treatment, therefore any who would voluntarily seek this treatment are insane, and because they are regarded as insane rather than of sound mind, they cannot be counted as evidence that people of sound mind would seek this treatment, so all the evidence says that only insane people would voluntarily seek this treatment.' We can trade the banal, contrived sophistries of our respective intelligentsias (funded studies) for the whole voting period and neither of us will change anyone's mind. I know you will remain unconvinced and so I allow us both to not waste our time."

"We cannot abide your definitions, because they are circular, debate fails because we both become, in the eyes of the other, a pigeon defecating on the chessboard."

"It is typically reasonable, however, that it is changes to the status quo (like this resolution) that must justify themselves beyond a reasonable doubt. The status quo is the defendant in the consideration of any legislation, and our nation has fully concluded that the status quo is not guilty in this affair, and will not be party to its conviction."

"Ambassador, my nation sits on a polar continent. The majority of our territory is covered by a land-bound glaciar. Getting the science right, regardless of if it agrees with the common consensus or not, can be life or death for a good portion of my people. Any time one of our scientists has doubts about how important this is, they are free to go to any window and take a long, hard look at the walls of ice that surround what little livable land we have. You are welcome to pay a visit and stare at it yourself sometime.

"So stop the posturing, stop the empty rhetoric, and either provide some studies from your own nation or admit you're just lying to cover the fact you only have dogma to spew. Because, frankly, I think everyone would like to hear something that makes some kind of logical sense."

Laka Strolistandiler
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Trellania wrote:
Laka Strolistandiler wrote:Upon noticing the Ambassador raise an eyebrow, Obraztsova would sigh: “Amd why would I deny this! Yes, I somewhat envy you, but pursing such desires will eventually lead to my demise in both mental, religious and physical sense. You remember what I’ve said about being volunteered into honorable death, right?

"I wasn't going to say anything, ambassador."

"That's not sounding like you have any evidence. That's just sounding like your society never bothered to collect any because it does not value the individual enough to consider the study."

OOC: How do you expect me to provide studies for a PMT nation…
Well, we could give you some studies, however I am afraid that the very name of the instituting that performed the research will prompt you to discard it. I have a research paper from the Waffen SS Subsidiary 11, also know as Human Genetic Modification Institute which directly proves the effectiveness and acceptable failure rate amongst those that undergo gender conversion therapy amongst our citizens. I also can offer you a document from Populace Control and Command Research Institute about the consequences of Lakan genetics-including conversion therapy… I could provide you with many more documents, however, the problem here is that most of the organizations who did such research either have a very “troubled” past or for some reasons are named as Evil Inc…
||||||||||||||||||||

Chiloshia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiloshia » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:16 pm

"'Trellanians be like 'its a bit chilly here, so I'm smarter than you because I'm too cold to ask questions."'

- A meme Lady Ərańa just posted to social media

"Post the study that says everyone who walks themselves into conversion therapy did so as the result of a mental disorder. You want to change existing law, you bear burden of proof that it will be better."

"Chiloshian studies of such individuals do not find such a result, but you will just say its biased because our government is comprised of people who tend to find the choice commendable."

-İ.Ə.
Last edited by Chiloshia on Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Chiloshia wrote:"Post the study that says everyone who walks themselves into conversion therapy did so as the result of a mental disorder. You want to change existing law, you bear burden of proof that it will be better."

"I'm not trying to change the law; that is the delegation from Tinhampton. I would suggest addressing that comment to Ambassador Smith, as he is the one who presented this legislation. My nation is not even a co-author. And while I do support this legislation, no law in Trellania would be changed by it; we are already in compliance.

"It does help to actually read the legislation and know the details of it before you comment, ambassador.

"Thus, under the conditions you state, I bear no burden of proof at all. And because it is you trying to convince people to go against this law, you still bear the sole burden of proof in our conversation."

"Chiloshian studies of such individuals do not find such a result, but you will just say its biased because our government is comprised of people who tend to find the choice commendable."

"You keep finding excuses not to present any evidence at all for what you say. That tells me you have no evidence and simply do not wish to admit it. Because if you did, given your demeanor thus far, you would have trumpeted it around the halls of this assembly already. There is, of course, one way to prove me wrong: Present me with the science."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:36 pm

Bell leans back in his chair and reaches for a cigar or a flask or any vice he can find. Alas, he comes up short. The Wads must have swung by his stash for a visit...Resignedly, he gives up his search and turns to a microphone.

"As poorly articulated as this proposal is in a technical sense, this delegation is willing to overlook all the flaws for the pleasure of seeing the various detractors forced to comply. This proposal has highlighted the worst that the diplomatic community has to offer, and a little schadenfreude may yet do us some good."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Figu
Secretary

Founded: May 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Figu » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:09 pm

The Republic of Figu apologizes for sending Peneltomo. A slight clerical error saw him as Chief Delegate when in reality James Rodgers was meant to be our spokesperson.

It is the genuine belief of the Republic that this legislation is designed as an act of cultural imperialism by Tinhampton and its supporters. It is designed to force nations that disagree with their ideals to adopt them. Figu does not adopt a stance on this issue domestically, because it believes in the rights of its people. This legislation would FORCE the Republic and all other nations that are in the WA to submit to blatant political partisanship.

We urge all delegates in favor to think hard about why they vote in favor of this. Do you believe that you have the right to force nations to believe what you do? Would it be okay if the situation were reversed? If it was voted that all homosexuals were to undergo conversion therapy? Why are you the arbiter of what is good? Does majority support really make it right? By that logic, suppression of minorities by the majority is justified.

Chiloshia wrote:"We care because we do not wish to submit to a globe-spanning empire that seeks to instruct us on how to think, and are beginning to suspect that that is what the WA intends to be, something we feared, but hoped was not the case."

The Republic of Figu agrees with this statement. The WA appears to be turning into a partisan organization, unwilling to compromise or consider outlying viewpoints. Should this pass, the Republic will be forced to withdraw from the WA, but will retain this delegation for purposes of diplomacy and national defense.

- Chief Delegate Rodgers
Last edited by Figu on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chiloshia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiloshia » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:33 pm

A notice from the Chiloshian World Assembly Foreign Relations Office:

"The CWAFRO has been informed of its pending redundancy, as the government has given the order to withdraw from the world assembly with haste. In this time between receiving this news and the zero hour of our departure, Lady Ərańa posted a meme that may be perceived as offensive by some members of the international community. The Emperor and Legislative speaker have both expressed their wishes for us to make clear that we do not care, and that the government will offer no condemnation for her conduct."

"A study published three years ago, in the Chiloshian Journal of Psychology, confirmed that people without any apparent mental disorder , who submitted themselves to RMHT (Relief from Male Homosexual Tendencies) and BSA (Biological Sex Acceptance) therapy practices (something, which, as a reminder, cannot be ordered by any authority figure under Chiloshian law), do in fact exist. At the time it was regarded as a case of stating the obvious, but as it turns out, redundancy has its uses. While offered this evidence, Ərańa judged its presentation would be futile, citing what is referred to in Chiloshian political thought as "the Ťomælıš Doctrine:" the real aim of debate when's one's chance of achieving the desired social result from it has already disappeared is to 'make the advance of the opposing position as obnoxious of a process for its champions as possible before disengaging.' The time has come to disengage, so that the compliance commission can be told to stand down in time."

"Finally, members of a legislative body who repeatedly voice their intentions to support a change in the law proposed by someone else in said legislature can fairly be counted among those who wish to change the law."

"The Government of Chiloshia has advised us to close this communique with an expression of regret at their inability to claim that our time in the WA has been a pleasure, a sentiment they are already aware is returned enthusiastically by many present for this debate. To our friends staying to continue resistance to the existing cultural hegemony in the WA, we extend our assurance that this is not the end of our solidarity, nor our support for our shared struggle. Let us no longer be those who impotently cry 'stop' to the march of history away from our goals, but the undeterred marchers of history towards them."

Trellania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Trellania » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Chiloshia wrote:"The CWAFRO has been informed of its pending redundancy, as the government has given the order to withdraw from the world assembly with haste.

"Then why do you waste everyone's time continuing to argue?"

In this time between receiving this news and the zero hour of our departure, Lady Ərańa posted a meme that may be perceived as offensive by some members of the international community. The Emperor and Legislative speaker have both expressed their wishes for us to make clear that we do not care, and that the government will offer no condemnation for her conduct."

"I can guarantee nobody cares what your delegate posted or if your government will offer condemnation or not."

"A study published three years ago, in the Chiloshian Journal of Psychology, confirmed that people without any apparent mental disorder , who submitted themselves to RMHT (Relief from Male Homosexual Tendencies) and BSA (Biological Sex Acceptance) therapy practices (something, which, as a reminder, cannot be ordered by any authority figure under Chiloshian law), do in fact exist. At the time it was regarded as a case of stating the obvious, but as it turns out, redundancy has its uses. While offered this evidence, Ərańa judged its presentation would be futile, citing what is referred to in Chiloshian political thought as "the Ťomælıš Doctrine:" the real aim of debate when's one's chance of achieving the desired social result from it has already disappeared is to 'make the advance of the opposing position as obnoxious of a process for its champions as possible before disengaging.' The time has come to disengage, so that the compliance commission can be told to stand down in time."

"This sounds a lot like you are inventing research that does not exist when simply providing it would have given you sufficient standing for reasonable discussion and sufficient reason to call out people who ignored it."

"Finally, members of a legislative body who repeatedly voice their intentions to support a change in the law proposed by someone else in said legislature can fairly be counted among those who wish to change the law."

"This statement is specious at best and you know it. That's why you're making it as part of your exit grandstand."

"The Government of Chiloshia has advised us to close this communique with an expression of regret at their inability to claim that our time in the WA has been a pleasure, a sentiment they are already aware is returned enthusiastically by many present for this debate. To our friends staying to continue resistance to the existing cultural hegemony in the WA, we extend our assurance that this is not the end of our solidarity, nor our support for our shared struggle. Let us no longer be those who impotently cry 'stop' to the march of history away from our goals, but the undeterred marchers of history towards them."

"And now we get into faux heroic speech pulled from a random movie made with the lowest budget and most incompetent writers. Really, why bother? You know the vote is lost and there's no chance it can be undone. Otherwise, we both know you would have repealed the earlier legislation this is replacing by now."

Figu
Secretary

Founded: May 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Figu » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

"It is sad to see so many justifying this blatant imperialism. This is not a resolution for mutual cooperation. This is a measure designed to force a belief on nations that may not want it. It's like when the Soviet Union set up communist governments in occupied territories. Same ideological motive. I understand I am preaching to the choir here, but I feel I must say something. This is imperialism, plain and simple. What's next, you fund rebels to overthrow our government because we don't think the way you do? You flat out invade? This resolution requires us to give money to people based on WHAT they are, rather than who they are. We oppose this BECAUSE we believe non-discrimination. We don't care what we are, we care WHO you are. We believe in the rights of independent countries to decide their own domestic policies. You would deny them that, based on your own subjective beliefs. Trelliania, for instance, justifies it as 'scientifically based' and 'brutal torture'. It is the opinion of the Republic that it is not Trelliania's choice to make. It is not Tinhampton's, it is not the World Assembly's. It is something for each nation to decide on its own. From the statements of the Separatist Peoples, it is ultimately an act of cultural and ideological imperialism, as they see it only as a stepping stone for their own ideological goals. We stand in solidarity with those who value national self-determination, such as Chiloshia. This is bigger than some rule helping LGBT people, but about an ever-encroaching World Assembly upon the rights of nations within it."

"It is the intent of the Republic to put forth a resolution to return the WA to being about mutual cooperation rather than ideological imperialism. Should that fail, we will have no choice but to withdraw. Know that we will not accept the result if the very likely outcome of it passing becomes reality. If you should attempt to force our nation to submit to this, we will fight back with all due force. If it is economic sanctions, we will trade with non-WA nations. If it is military force, we will retaliate with our nuclear weapons. We do not wish to start a war, but we will fight one to the end."

- Chief Delegate Rodgers
Last edited by Figu on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Laka Strolistandiler
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:22 pm

Figu wrote:
"It is the intent of the Republic to put forth a resolution to return the WA to being about mutual cooperation rather than ideological imperialism. Should that fail, we will have no choice but to withdraw. Know that we will not accept the result if the very likely outcome of it passing becomes reality. If you should attempt to force our nation to submit to this, we will fight back with all due force. If it is economic sanctions, we will trade with non-WA nations. If it is military force, we will retaliate with our nuclear weapons. We do not wish to start a war, but we will fight one to the end."

- Chief Delegate Rodgers

Obraztsova: Ambassador, I don’t want to sound too pessimistic, but I believe that your proposal will be either in violation of far too many resolutions or will not be able to acquire enough support even before the voting. The WA is extremely self-assured, holding little to no regard for the individual status and/or cultural traditions of member states, essentially being a unitari-ish state, the only thing that keeps it from being a truly dictatorial state being the fact that it’s free to leave. That’s one of the main reasons why in a mere two days my delegation will leave this body for good, a decision that in my opinion should’ve been done the moment “Repeal: On Abortion” had passed.
||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives