NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT #4] End Corporal Punishment

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unified Communist Councils
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Unified Communist Councils » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:12 pm

"We are pledging our support for the termination of draconian entitlement to abuse reserved by teachers and caregivers. Children deserve better, there are alternate ways to go about rebuking your child without the need for physical violence. We decry the barbaric practice of corporal punishment and endorse the humanistic concessions that this draft proposal represents." – Secretariat Kim Dokja, Appointed Spokesperson of the Supreme Congress
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀〖⠀E.A.U | 统一的人民公社⠀〗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀『All Proles, emancipated in harmony, in Yan Sooyoung.』⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀「1 PAE, first year of the Yan Calender, when our dearest Archon rescued a dying world.」⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
OVERVIEW | MILITARY | ANTHEM OF THE ALL-UNION | EMBASSY
【Seonjeon TV:】『Erudia Achieves New Space Milestone with Successful Launch of 'Unity Star' Satellite!』| 『Renowned Artist Kim Minji Unveils Stunning Exhibition at Erudian National Gallery!』|『Unity and Solidarity Prevail: Erudia Celebrates 57th Anniversary of All-Union Formation』|『Cybersecurity Breach Exposes Sensitive State Secrets: General Secretary Yevgeny Novikov Blames Foreign Hackers!』

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:34 pm

Some refinements have been made to Article c(i) after consultation with my co-author.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Thousand Branches
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thousand Branches » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:19 pm

Apologies in advance Tin ;) I really tore into some of the clauses on this one :lol:

Tinhampton wrote:Reaffirming the principles of GA#5xx "LEO Force Restrictions," which bans on-duty police officers from using excessive force,

Why is it “5xx”?

Comma should be after the quotation mark.

“Bans” feels like a weird wording? Maybe that’s just me.

Tinhampton wrote:Noting that corporal punishment is a form of violence which, while disproportionately carried out against children, can affect almost anyone of any age (usually with scant notice), and

“Noting” is sort of uninspired? This should be more grim than matter of fact imo.

“while” —> “despite being”

“almost anyone” is dumb in both that it’s a repetition with “any” and that it’s actually just anyone. I would straight up do “individuals” to replace it.

What is the parentheses bit supposed to mean?

Tinhampton wrote:Believing that - for the sake of all inhabitants of the World Assembly's member states, especially the most vulnerable - it is imperative that this body forbid such forms of violence as soon as possible...

Rewrite (I just really dislike this clause):

“Believing it imperative to forbid such forms of violence in an effort to protect against abuse or mistreatment of vulnerable individuals.”

Slightly different vibes and wildly different language, but I think it works a lot better here.

Tinhampton wrote:defines "corporal punishment" as causing physical harm or pain to any person in order to penalise any person, where such punishment is delivered without the consent of either the person harmed or the person intended to be penalised,

Actually, rewrite again (also curious little suggestion here, why is it being limited only to physical pain? I mean sure emotional/mental pain is sort of a different category, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be included.):

“defines "corporal punishment" as the act of causing any kind of non-consensual physical harm or pain to another individual as punishment,”

Tinhampton wrote:requires members to outlaw corporal punishment, regardless of where it occurs, and to abolish all defences to the same,

“members” —> “member states”

Commas can maybe be em dashes.

It’s unclear what “and to abolish all defences to the same” means.

Potential rewrite just for fun:

“establishes a complete prohibition of corporal punishment in member states, and abolishes all defences to the same,”

Tinhampton wrote:all primary and secondary schools in member states inform all of their pupils about Articles a and b, as well as the maximum penalty established for corporal punishment by law, prominently and (where feasible) on a regular basis,

Repetition of “all” in the first bit, I’d recommend just nixing the opening “all” (honestly you could remove both).

“inform” —> “educate” (more fitting) Id you do take this edit, “about” —> “on”

Why is “Articles” capitalized?

“prominently… basis” either needs to be removed or reworded cuz it is gross rn :p

Tinhampton wrote:members regularly raise awareness about Articles a and b among all people whose employment requires them to regularly and intentionally interact with children,

Again, “members” —> “member states”

“about” —> “of”

“people” —> “individuals”

“and intentionally”? Ehhhhh idk, I think that could maybe be included too (wtf would unintentional consistent contact with children even be?).

Tinhampton wrote:members additionally forbid the guardians of a person without legal competence (including parents and carers of children) from granting consent for that person to be subject to corporal punishment in any context, and that

“additionally” kills flow and is not needed, kill it.

“the guardians” —> “any guardian”

“parents and” —> “parents or”

“carers of children” is in equal parts a synonym for guardian and really confusing, I’d rewrite that wording.

Tinhampton wrote:all clauses in all contracts in force while this resolution is in effect which have the effect of allowing any direct or indirect signatory of that contract to be subject to corporal punishment be immediately voided and not enforced by any party,

Jesus christ this took me about 8 times through to understand and I’m still not even sure I know what’s going on here. This really needs a rewrite but I don’t quite know how to write one so I’ll leave it up to you.

Tinhampton wrote:the use of force in defence of oneself or others, in the course of organised armed conflict, or during sexual activity by consenting adults, nor

Okay this is utterly unnecessary. Self defense is not violence as a punishment, armed conflict is not violence as a punishment unless you’re going really really indirectly, and the consensual bit was clarified already in the definition.

Tinhampton wrote:any requirement for any person to engage in reasonable physical activity that harms no other person as a condition of their being employed at any institution or a student at any school (including, but not limited to, soldiers being required to complete a fitness course at a training camp as a condition of remaining a member of the military they serve in), and

This clause reads really badly, and again, seems wildly unnecessary. Unless the violence is a punishment (as clarified in the definition), it doesn’t affect that. The only example of this in a military circumstance I can think of would be mildly abusive drill sergeants forcing kids to do ridiculous amounts of pushups or run a million laps, and honestly I don’t think that’s such a horrible thing to ban (and it’s not all that well covered in this clause either). If anything, I think this just allows loopholes to happen, and that doesn’t need to be a thing.

Edits done (hope they were helpful). Have a great day!

-A
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at QueenAramantha for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Failed General Assembly Resolutions Archive || The Grand (Newspaper Archive) •○•
○•○ Have an awesome day you! ○•○

Y3K Earth
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Y3K Earth » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:23 pm

Against
Earth in the universe of Futurama
SUBMIT TO NIXON

Bender Supremacist
IRL beliefs are best summed up as Catholic Taliban, but I'm also a big fan of gun rights and I'm cool with weed.
I think these guys are cool and/or interesting:
Savonarola
Charlemagne
Francis Parker Yockey
Nick Land
G.K. Chesterton
J.R.R. Tolkien
Mansa Musa
Ahmed Godane

Thamesholm and Wallborough
Envoy

Founded: Dec 07, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Thamesholm and Wallborough » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:31 am

Couldn’t this also affect slight infliction of judicial corporal punishment, arguably more humane than the much more drawn-out punishment of incarceration?
Re-established 8th of March 2022

Currently an imperialist dictatorship ruled by Lord-President Hereward the Woke.

News:
Woke governments installed in Swat and Favrskov.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:48 am

Thousand Branches wrote:The only example of this in a military circumstance I can think of would be mildly abusive drill sergeants forcing kids to do ridiculous amounts of pushups or run a million laps, and honestly I don’t think that’s such a horrible thing to ban

I understand why someone may come to this conclusion, but regimentation and strictness is a positive in the context of a fighting force.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Thousand Branches
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2021

Postby Thousand Branches » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:49 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Thousand Branches wrote:The only example of this in a military circumstance I can think of would be mildly abusive drill sergeants forcing kids to do ridiculous amounts of pushups or run a million laps, and honestly I don’t think that’s such a horrible thing to ban

I understand why someone may come to this conclusion, but regimentation and strictness is a positive in the context of a fighting force.

Fair, if that’s what you want to legislate on, but I do think the clause could be worded a little better
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at QueenAramantha for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Failed General Assembly Resolutions Archive || The Grand (Newspaper Archive) •○•
○•○ Have an awesome day you! ○•○

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Thousand Branches wrote:Apologies in advance Tin ;) I really tore into some of the clauses on this one :lol:

I know, right? :P

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Reaffirming the principles of GA#5xx "LEO Force Restrictions," which bans on-duty police officers from using excessive force,

Why is it “5xx”?

Comma should be after the quotation mark.

“Bans” feels like a weird wording? Maybe that’s just me.

1. Because LEO Force Restrictions has not yet passed and does not have a resolution number. I will edit its actual res. no. in when it looks like passing.
2. disagreed :P
3. "bans" ---> "prohibits"

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Noting that corporal punishment is a form of violence which, while disproportionately carried out against children, can affect almost anyone of any age (usually with scant notice), and

“Noting” is sort of uninspired? This should be more grim than matter of fact imo.

“while” —> “despite being”

“almost anyone” is dumb in both that it’s a repetition with “any” and that it’s actually just anyone. I would straight up do “individuals” to replace it.

What is the parentheses bit supposed to mean?

1. I'd say it's both :P
2-3. Changes have been made
4. that little notice of corporal punishment is generally given to its victim - but cut.

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Believing that - for the sake of all inhabitants of the World Assembly's member states, especially the most vulnerable - it is imperative that this body forbid such forms of violence as soon as possible...

Rewrite (I just really dislike this clause):

“Believing it imperative to forbid such forms of violence in an effort to protect against abuse or mistreatment of vulnerable individuals.”

Slightly different vibes and wildly different language, but I think it works a lot better here.

I'm assuming that people will read the entire preamble (which isn't that long). People were complaining that my old-school preamble was too targetted - given that the corporal punishment, then as now, covered everyone rather than just children/the vulnerable - and I'd rather not fall into the same trap here :P

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:defines "corporal punishment" as causing physical harm or pain to any person in order to penalise any person, where such punishment is delivered without the consent of either the person harmed or the person intended to be penalised,

Actually, rewrite again (also curious little suggestion here, why is it being limited only to physical pain? I mean sure emotional/mental pain is sort of a different category, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be included.):

“defines "corporal punishment" as the act of causing any kind of non-consensual physical harm or pain to another individual as punishment,”

GC doesn't really mind whether or not I adopt your version; I continue to believe that the additional clarity is necessary.

"[E]motional/mental pain" is far more subjective than physical pain - and is not the kind of harm that corporal punishment is generally intended to cause anyway. sorry =P

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:requires members to outlaw corporal punishment, regardless of where it occurs, and to abolish all defences to the same,

Commas can maybe be em dashes.

It’s unclear what “and to abolish all defences to the same” means.

Potential rewrite just for fun:

“establishes a complete prohibition of corporal punishment in member states, and abolishes all defences to the same,”

1. My general preference is to use "member states" on first mention and then "members" afterwards.
2. Mayyyyyybe... but I'm not too convinced myself lol.
3. To stop parents from saying "But it was reasonable chastisement!" in court. See OP.

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:all primary and secondary schools in member states inform all of their pupils about Articles a and b, as well as the maximum penalty established for corporal punishment by law, prominently and (where feasible) on a regular basis,

Repetition of “all” in the first bit, I’d recommend just nixing the opening “all” (honestly you could remove both).

“inform” —> “educate” (more fitting) I[f] you do take this edit, “about” —> “on”

Why is “Articles” capitalized?

“prominently… basis” either needs to be removed or reworded cuz it is gross rn :p

I accidentally rewrote the entire section after GC suggested removing the maximum penalty bit. Ooooooops :lol: and I might have rewritten it again

("Articles" is generally capitalised as a matter of personal style)

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:members regularly raise awareness about Articles a and b among all people whose employment requires them to regularly and intentionally interact with children,

Again, “members” —> “member states”

“about” —> “of”

“people” —> “individuals”

“and intentionally”? Ehhhhh idk, I think that could maybe be included too (wtf would unintentional consistent contact with children even be?).

1. Again, personal style.
2-4. Done.

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:members additionally forbid the guardians of a person without legal competence (including parents and carers of children) from granting consent for that person to be subject to corporal punishment in any context, and that

“additionally” kills flow and is not needed, kill it.

“the guardians” —> “any guardian”

“parents and” —> “parents or”

“carers of children” is in equal parts a synonym for guardian and really confusing, I’d rewrite that wording.

1. More personal style.
2-4. Done.
5. Not everybody who is legally incompetent is a child - but I've cut it out entirely regardless.

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:all clauses in all contracts in force while this resolution is in effect which have the effect of allowing any direct or indirect signatory of that contract to be subject to corporal punishment be immediately voided and not enforced by any party,

Jesus christ this took me about 8 times through to understand and I’m still not even sure I know what’s going on here. This really needs a rewrite but I don’t quite know how to write one so I’ll leave it up to you.

Em said of my previous attempt at this that "I could definitely see this being taken to court time and time again over whether a private school contract allows for teachers to strike the children anyway, because it was part of the deal when the student began attending. It would also likely begin being put in contracts for a lot of things that would previously have involved physical punishment."
Article c(iv) exists mainly to satisfy her objections (as Article c(iii) does Sanctaria's). Between URA vote counts being binding (including upon Duby, GA sceptic and wielder of some 290 votes - and I'm confident that the other big URA regions will support this as they did last time), TEP switching to votes involving all citizens (guiding Albrook's 750 votes, typically in favour of all well-written proposals), and my definition of corporal punishment being exactly the same one that Boston Castle complained about last time, it is not unreasonable to imagine that Em's 80 votes could decide the fate of this resolution.

Thousand Branches wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:the use of force in defence of oneself or others, in the course of organised armed conflict, or during sexual activity by consenting adults, nor

Okay this is utterly unnecessary. Self defense is not violence as a punishment, armed conflict is not violence as a punishment unless you’re going really really indirectly, and the consensual bit was clarified already in the definition.

Excised. (Greater Cesnica summarises my thoughts on Article d(ii) - now just Article d - pretty well.)

Thousand Branches wrote:Edits done (hope they were helpful). Have a great day!

-A

And you! :)
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Feyrisshire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 27, 2019
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Feyrisshire » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:03 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:What we have here is Tinhampton giving a whole pile of UN reports that say that children ought not to be beaten. Then she writes a proposal saying that nobody anywhere is to be beaten. Do we not see how the former does not support the latter?

OOC: I agree with this - all of the UN reports gathered and evidences cited seem to be related to children and pedagogy in general, and seems to be the general intent of the resolution as implied in Article c and e, but the definition in Article a is simply too broad.

The only examples that seem to be cited outside of pedadogy and children's rights seem to be judicial corporate punishment and caning in Singapore, but I can think of things that are unrelated to both pedadogy and children's rights and judicial corporate punishment - such as traditional cultural and religious activities that involves recreation of punishments of some kind, such as Catholic flagellations and reenactment of crucifixions, esp. in Catholic countries during Holy Week, or cultural activities, such as porn and hentai BDSM.

Article a does note the inclusion of consent, but considering how vague and over-arching its definition is, it might ban other activities that are outside the intent of this resolution such as school pedadogy or judicial corporal punishment - See above.

Edit: After reading the definition for a few more times, it simply is too vague and broad as the word "penalize" can mean anything, and the definition can be interpreted to mean anything from assault, to inflicting physical injuries over a minor squabble to domestic battery, etc. - meaning that this legislates on too many crimes that are far outside of the resolution's scope.

I suggest changing the definition from it to something like —> "causing physical harm or pain by a school authority or teacher to a child, pupil or student for pedagogy., a parent to a child........and a state, polity, judicial body to any criminal, accused for judicial punishment....."

Something like that, so it couldn't be interpreted to literally anything, or broadly legislate on other crimes, or ban traditional religious activities or cultural activities, etc.
Last edited by Feyrisshire on Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:47 pm

As you know, I am famous for responding to feedback as soon as I get it. I support Feyrisshire's criticisms in principle and have asked her for clarification about the circumstances in which corporal punishment ought to be impermissible beyond those she has outlined. I'll update Article a as soon as there's an obvious consensus list.

This was originally scheduled to be submitted after LEO Force Restrictions - a draft written 2y4m ago to facilitate the passage of a corporal punishment ban of some description - passed. Since the last reply was made, LEOFR passed, was repealed and I am now drafting a replacement. This will now be submitted after that replacement passes, which I expect to be at some point in November 2023, if not next year entirely. Holy mother of wild goose chases.

Cessarea
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 02, 2023
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Cessarea » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:53 pm

Tinhampton wrote:As you know, I am famous for responding to feedback as soon as I get it. I support Feyrisshire's criticisms in principle and have asked her for clarification about the circumstances in which corporal punishment ought to be impermissible beyond those she has outlined. I'll update Article a as soon as there's an obvious consensus list.

This was originally scheduled to be submitted after LEO Force Restrictions - a draft written 2y4m ago to facilitate the passage of a corporal punishment ban of some description - passed. Since the last reply was made, LEOFR passed, was repealed and I am now drafting a replacement. This will now be submitted after that replacement passes, which I expect to be at some point in November 2023, if not next year entirely. Holy mother of wild goose chases.

Holy passage of time, Batman! Two years! This may be a record :p

Will give this a read later, probably suggest a stricter definition and a few exceptions.
Completely undecided on everything I guess

Makko Oko
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 20, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Makko Oko » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:22 pm

"His Emperor's Government is in full solidarity and wish for this proposal's quick and hasteful enactment as soon as possible. A name change to better fit context would be helpful though. You are not ending corporal punishment completely Ambassador, but merely banning it for the abuse of children and that alone. Maybe 'End Corporal Punishment In Schooling' would be a better fit." - Minister of Health Danika Hicks
OBC Current News: First-Ever Anti-Terrorism Act Enacted | Emperor launches plans to expand trade | Danika Hicks Case: NOT GUILTY VERDICT! Court rules 3-2
Information:
IIWiki Factbooks
NS Factbooks

NOTE: This nation does not reflect my real beliefs in any way, shape or form

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:52 am

(OOC: Clause c-i seems to assume the British model of schooling. I don’t think that Americans use primary and secondary schools.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:57 am

This resolution covers corporal punishment in many settings, not only in schools. Regarding specifics, I'm awaiting Feyrisshire's response.

I've added "(or equivalent)" to Article c(i), to reflect i.e. member states with elementary, middle and high school settings - while at the same time understanding that it may be difficult for nurseries or kindergartens, who may be caught in the simple set of "schools," to deliver the education required.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:01 pm

"Ambassador, this certainly appears to be a noble concept, however whether such a wholesale ban is merited would likely be a controversial subject necessitating heavy debate within our mission. I cannot say that we are necessarily opposed to the concept, however regardless, there are still matters of the proposal text itself we would seek clarification on. Particularly, could your mission provide an example of a practical application wherein a contract which would be voided under Section c.iv is likely to exist?"

~Robert Desak,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

Ooc: For reasons I'd rather not get into this is a topic I feel strongly about, and apart from my Ambassador's Ic query above I see no issues with the proposal text. Full support.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:25 am

(IC)

Bears are cannibals. We can eat our own kids under WA laws but can't beat them? Shurely shome mistake?

(OOC)

This is very culture dependent (28 jurisdictions permit judicial corporal punishment according to Wikipedia, I don't know how reliable that figure is as I think it's not a well researched article).

The resolution indirectly bans judicial corporal punishment since "anyone penalised" would include judicial by default, not just schools.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:10 am

Feyrisshire will no longer be responding, contrary to what I said earlier. However, following some conversations I've just had with her, she has: (A) given me permission to include the three example cases she listed here as specific cases where corporal punishment is forbidden (with some more expansive adaptations I made myself: all corporal punishment against children or for penal purposes is now proscribed); and (B) requested that she be listed as a co-author alongside Greatest Cesnica.

I intend to submit this in approximately two months. My intention is that the new examples - to be found in Article b - serve as building blocks, from which you can suggest potential further cases in which corporal punishment should be forbidden. Even if you cannot, I have inserted a new Article e encouraging the further eradication of corporal punishment.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:07 am

Full support; I have no real objections to this as written. I would, however, suggest to make it clearer that Section b.iii applies only where that constitutes corporal punishment. I would also suggest, also for clarity, to change 'penalise' to 'punish' in the definition of CP; otherwise a (bad faith) reading would be that it means only penalties enforced by law.
Last edited by The Ice States on Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Tigrisia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 22, 2023
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tigrisia » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:21 am

As the delegation of a nation that strives being a child-friendly nation, with childrens' rights enshrined in our constitution, including the right of every child to a non-violent upbringing, we the Delegation of Tigrisia are supporting this resolution. We will definitely vote for it.

The Tigrisian Delegation

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:11 pm

"Barfleur strongly supports this proposal. There is no reason why a person in a position of authority in respect of another, especially a child, should be permitted to inflict physical harm or pain on that person. And from a crime-control standpoint, it is a sad but recognized fact that the children who are most subject to corporal punishment in their youth will be most represented in the justice system later on in life, due to the fact that subjecting a child to aggression alters their psychological landscape, almost entirely for the worse, and makes them more prone to engage in aggression of their own. This is a major step forward for any society that considers itself civilized."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Tootswana
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 23, 2024
Corporate Police State

Postby Tootswana » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:03 pm

Tootswana is opposed to this awful legislation. Spanking is a national pastime of ours.

The Dinland
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 26, 2024
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Dinland » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:12 pm

The Dinland strongly supports this WA legislation. The right of the child should include protection from assault in the same way a legal adult is, in the conscience backed opinion of the Government.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:05 am

The Ice States wrote:Full support; I have no real objections to this as written. I would, however, suggest to make it clearer that Section b.iii applies only where that constitutes corporal punishment. I would also suggest, also for clarity, to change 'penalise' to 'punish' in the definition of CP; otherwise a (bad faith) reading would be that it means only penalties enforced by law.

All of Articles b(i-iii) outline examples of corporal punishment. If anything described in those Articles is done, but it is not corporal punishment as defined in Article a, then it is patently not corporal punishment nor should it be treated as such. The other change you suggest has been made.

The old Article e ("strongly encourages members to forbid corporal punishment in all contexts not listed in Article b") is now Article c. The awareness-raising measures in what are now Articles d(i-ii) now cover Articles a, b, and c.

As always, if you have suggestions for additional manifestation of corporal punishment which you believe to be so egregious that Article b should specify them, please do let me know. I will at the very least consider them, if not discuss their potential inclusion alongside GC.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:16 pm

Bump.

I will not be submitting this until there is a resolution restricting the use of force by police officers. Please read this dispatch for the rationale behind my decision.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly