NATION

PASSWORD

Policing accountability act of 2021 [DRAFT]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Freedomist fighters
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Policing accountability act of 2021 [DRAFT]

Postby Freedomist fighters » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:59 am

ACKNOWLEDGES the vast importance policing play in the everyday lives of citizens, plays a pivotal role in keeping law and order, and ensuring the overall continuity of human advancement.

COMMENDS the various men and women risking their lives in all nations to protect the people they serve.

However, it may occur in some instances that members of the police force would use excessive force against members of society, sometimes leading to death.

This bill designates members of the WA to adhere to so as to prevent such egregious acts from happening.

This bill increases the accountability for policing and

1. PREVENTION
This bill requires for nations to,
a. Provide adequate funding for police officers to attend at least 80 hours of de-escalation technique, to manage and control situations, before allowing them to be hired as active members of the police force.
b. directs countries to create accreditation standards for law enforcement agencies and requires law enforcement officers to complete training on racial profiling, implicit bias, and the duty to intervene when another officer uses excessive force.
c. Prioritise de-escalation workshops over combat workshops.
d. Set up a mental health team, consisting of trained psychiatrists and councillor, in the police precinct to handle calls regarding mental health, such as breakdowns and suicide attempts.
e. Prohibits funding police forces to buy military equipment, such as tanks, assault weapons and bombs.
f. Prohibit any use of chemical weapons, including tear gas, on the citizens of their country.
g. Promise to spend more government funding on the Welfare of their citizens than law and order.
h. Limits qualified immunity as a defence to liability in a civil or criminal action against a law enforcement officer.
i. Prohibits the use of choke-holds and carotid holds for more than 20 seconds and after the suspect is restrained.

2. PUNISHMENT

ai. Nations must develop a task force to investigate any accusation of police excessive use of force.
aii. The task force would work with the prosecutors to charge the officer accused.
b. Laws must be enacted to prevent police officers from destroying crucial evidence from the scene.
c. Police officers must have their body cameras on at all times. Failure to do so well leads to misconduct on the officers part.

Therefore,
REAFFIRMING our commitment to protect the people we serve without harming them in the pursuit of justice.

COMMEMORATING the lives lost in the hands of police officers.

This is NOT complete and I would like to ask if there any provisions that would be better for the act if added. If there is any overlap to previous bills passed by the assembly, please do let me know so I can rectify it. All feedback and comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 am

The OP here is functionally the same as the OP there, except with a number before the word "PREVENTION." Is this supposed to be a separate draft? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 am

OOC: Why did you post your draft twice? You already have an exact same thread?
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Return to General Assembly