NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Native Prairies and Grasslands

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:57 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:
Ok, I'll withdraw the proposal.

Although it pains me to do so.

You're definitely better off by doing so. Drafting in the GA forums helps you get feedback and advice from others on how to make your proposal better.


Yes, I think you might be right. I just edited the preamble a bit, let me know what you think about it.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am

*bump*
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Calamari Lands
Attaché
 
Posts: 99
Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Calamari Lands » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Big Boyz wrote:*bump*

"LAMENTING that only a tiny fraction of tall grass prairies remain today, usually in areas which were previously inaccessible to agriculture,"

"OBSERVING that, in many WA member nations, the conversion of large tracts of land for agricultural purposes has severely decreased the abundance of tall grass prairies, which in turn has led to a reduction in biodiversity among pollinators,"

"CONCERNED that failing to protect native prairies will lead to the extinction of several currently endangered species, many of which rely heavily on tall grass prairies,"

"APPLAUDING the efforts of some nations to restore tall grass prairies by replanting native grasses in their historic range and periodically conducting controlled burns to prevent the encroachment of saplings into prairies, which would otherwise lead to the conversion of prairies into forests,"

Again, these paragraphs are RL references. These will make your proposal unappealing to most nations at best and illegal at worst. Proposed rewrite:

"OBSERVING that not protecting tall grass prairies can affect biodiversity very negatively and thus endanger the economy, the agricultural ecosystem and the enviornment as a whole,"

A lot shorter, a lot simpler, a lot more straight to the point, and no RL references. It can replace all the paragraphs I mentioned.

Nothing to say on the actually legislative part of the resolution for now. Maybe when I read it more closely I will have criticisms.
☆☆☆☆ Glory to Calamari Lands ☆☆☆☆
Proud members of Mariner Trench's Regional Government:
> WA Delegate
> URA voting member
> Mariner of RP
> Senator
Authorship -> SC#350, Commend Honeydewistania

IC: Comrade Vanya, WA Delegacy representative.

User avatar
Bananaistan
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 2879
Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:39 pm

OOC: There's an awful lot of bad advice in this thread about the RL references rule. Generic references are permitted.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281

User avatar
Wayneactia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1714
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wayneactia » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"This has the potential to be an excellent proposal. I disagree with many of my colleagues here regarding the policy justification. While you could certainly go further, what you have argued is sufficient.

"I am concerned that member states are required to engage in controlled burns regardless of whether a deliberate and artificial burn is the best management tool available. While controlled burns are adequate in disturbed ecosystems with an extreme buildup of duff, the practice is not always indicated where such prairies either adapt to irregular burning or do not require artificial burning. Otherwise, this delegation lacks any particularly strong objection to the proposed policy.

"I am pleased and excited to see this concept develop, ambassador. Well done."

"I concur, with my esteem colleague. This is definitely an area of legislation worthy of international concern, and I don't say those words very often. I am also concerned as to the mandates about controlled burns. Controlled burns, especially those done when the environment is not conducive to burning, can rapidly become out of control burns, which have the ability to cause immense damage. Remove that particular mandate and I will happily vote for this."

Wayne

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:49 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"This has the potential to be an excellent proposal. I disagree with many of my colleagues here regarding the policy justification. While you could certainly go further, what you have argued is sufficient.

"I am concerned that member states are required to engage in controlled burns regardless of whether a deliberate and artificial burn is the best management tool available. While controlled burns are adequate in disturbed ecosystems with an extreme buildup of duff, the practice is not always indicated where such prairies either adapt to irregular burning or do not require artificial burning. Otherwise, this delegation lacks any particularly strong objection to the proposed policy.

"I am pleased and excited to see this concept develop, ambassador. Well done."

"I concur, with my esteem colleague. This is definitely an area of legislation worthy of international concern, and I don't say those words very often. I am also concerned as to the mandates about controlled burns. Controlled burns, especially those done when the environment is not conducive to burning, can rapidly become out of control burns, which have the ability to cause immense damage. Remove that particular mandate and I will happily vote for this."

Wayne

Ok, I'll change that in the next draft. It's still important to recognize the role of controlled burns in most cases, but I do agree that it might not be the best solution in every situation.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11671
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:54 pm

Big Boyz wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:"I concur, with my esteem colleague. This is definitely an area of legislation worthy of international concern, and I don't say those words very often. I am also concerned as to the mandates about controlled burns. Controlled burns, especially those done when the environment is not conducive to burning, can rapidly become out of control burns, which have the ability to cause immense damage. Remove that particular mandate and I will happily vote for this."

Wayne

Ok, I'll change that in the next draft. It's still important to recognize the role of controlled burns in most cases, but I do agree that it might not be the best solution in every situation.

True, controlled burns are important but obviously not every country will be suited to conduct controlled burns. Maybe say "encourages member nations to conduct controlled burns if the circumstances permit" or something like that.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Calamari Lands wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:*bump*

"LAMENTING that only a tiny fraction of tall grass prairies remain today, usually in areas which were previously inaccessible to agriculture,"

"OBSERVING that, in many WA member nations, the conversion of large tracts of land for agricultural purposes has severely decreased the abundance of tall grass prairies, which in turn has led to a reduction in biodiversity among pollinators,"

"CONCERNED that failing to protect native prairies will lead to the extinction of several currently endangered species, many of which rely heavily on tall grass prairies,"

"APPLAUDING the efforts of some nations to restore tall grass prairies by replanting native grasses in their historic range and periodically conducting controlled burns to prevent the encroachment of saplings into prairies, which would otherwise lead to the conversion of prairies into forests,"

Again, these paragraphs are RL references. These will make your proposal unappealing to most nations at best and illegal at worst. Proposed rewrite:

"OBSERVING that not protecting tall grass prairies can affect biodiversity very negatively and thus endanger the economy, the agricultural ecosystem and the enviornment as a whole,"

A lot shorter, a lot simpler, a lot more straight to the point, and no RL references. It can replace all the paragraphs I mentioned.

Nothing to say on the actually legislative part of the resolution for now. Maybe when I read it more closely I will have criticisms.


It seems like Bananaistan and Separatist Peoples disagree with you on the problem of RL references, but you might have a point about being more succinct. I'll keep it in mind in my next rendition.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:Ok, I'll change that in the next draft. It's still important to recognize the role of controlled burns in most cases, but I do agree that it might not be the best solution in every situation.

True, controlled burns are important but obviously not every country will be suited to conduct controlled burns. Maybe say "encourages member nations to conduct controlled burns if the circumstances permit" or something like that.

Yes, I'll try to keep it more open-ended like that.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Calamari Lands
Attaché
 
Posts: 99
Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Calamari Lands » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:57 pm

Big Boyz wrote:
Calamari Lands wrote:"LAMENTING that only a tiny fraction of tall grass prairies remain today, usually in areas which were previously inaccessible to agriculture,"

"OBSERVING that, in many WA member nations, the conversion of large tracts of land for agricultural purposes has severely decreased the abundance of tall grass prairies, which in turn has led to a reduction in biodiversity among pollinators,"

"CONCERNED that failing to protect native prairies will lead to the extinction of several currently endangered species, many of which rely heavily on tall grass prairies,"

"APPLAUDING the efforts of some nations to restore tall grass prairies by replanting native grasses in their historic range and periodically conducting controlled burns to prevent the encroachment of saplings into prairies, which would otherwise lead to the conversion of prairies into forests,"

Again, these paragraphs are RL references. These will make your proposal unappealing to most nations at best and illegal at worst. Proposed rewrite:

"OBSERVING that not protecting tall grass prairies can affect biodiversity very negatively and thus endanger the economy, the agricultural ecosystem and the enviornment as a whole,"

A lot shorter, a lot simpler, a lot more straight to the point, and no RL references. It can replace all the paragraphs I mentioned.

Nothing to say on the actually legislative part of the resolution for now. Maybe when I read it more closely I will have criticisms.


It seems like Bananaistan and Separatist Peoples disagree with you on the problem of RL references, but you might have a point about being more succinct. I'll keep it in mind in my next rendition.

Fair enough, just trying to give the best advice I can. It does seem too in depth for the preamble either way to me personally.
☆☆☆☆ Glory to Calamari Lands ☆☆☆☆
Proud members of Mariner Trench's Regional Government:
> WA Delegate
> URA voting member
> Mariner of RP
> Senator
Authorship -> SC#350, Commend Honeydewistania

IC: Comrade Vanya, WA Delegacy representative.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10386
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:True, controlled burns are important but obviously not every country will be suited to conduct controlled burns. Maybe say "encourages member nations to conduct controlled burns if the circumstances permit" or something like that.

Perhaps if there are circumstances where they are preferred, they ought to be done, rather than just where they are permitted.

Calamari Lands wrote:
"LAMENTING that only a tiny fraction of tall grass prairies remain today, usually in areas which were previously inaccessible to agriculture,"

"OBSERVING that, in many WA member nations, the conversion of large tracts of land for agricultural purposes has severely decreased the abundance of tall grass prairies, which in turn has led to a reduction in biodiversity among pollinators,"

"CONCERNED that failing to protect native prairies will lead to the extinction of several currently endangered species, many of which rely heavily on tall grass prairies,"

"APPLAUDING the efforts of some nations to restore tall grass prairies by replanting native grasses in their historic range and periodically conducting controlled burns to prevent the encroachment of saplings into prairies, which would otherwise lead to the conversion of prairies into forests,"


Again, these paragraphs are RL references. These will make your proposal unappealing to most nations at best and illegal at worst.

These are not real life references.

Author: 1 SC and 42 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:Ok, I'll change that in the next draft. It's still important to recognize the role of controlled burns in most cases, but I do agree that it might not be the best solution in every situation.

True, controlled burns are important but obviously not every country will be suited to conduct controlled burns. Maybe say "encourages member nations to conduct controlled burns if the circumstances permit" or something like that.


How does this sound?

Maintain current tall grass prairies by performing periodic controlled burns when it is ecologically in the best interest of the prairie and the surrounding area and unlikely to lead to the development of a wildfire,
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11671
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Big Boyz wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:True, controlled burns are important but obviously not every country will be suited to conduct controlled burns. Maybe say "encourages member nations to conduct controlled burns if the circumstances permit" or something like that.


How does this sound?

Maintain current tall grass prairies by performing periodic controlled burns when it is ecologically in the best interest of the prairie and the surrounding area and unlikely to lead to the development of a wildfire,

Yes, that looks good since it encourages the use of controlled burns but doesn't mandate them.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:22 am

Outer Sparta wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:
How does this sound?

Maintain current tall grass prairies by performing periodic controlled burns when it is ecologically in the best interest of the prairie and the surrounding area and unlikely to lead to the development of a wildfire,

Yes, that looks good since it encourages the use of controlled burns but doesn't mandate them.


Ok, I've amended the proposal to create alternatives to performing controlled burns.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
South St Maarten
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 151
Founded: Apr 16, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby South St Maarten » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:26 am

IC: "For an ambassador new to the hallowed halls of the world assembly, this is excellent work. South St Maarten is pleased to announce its full support for the proposal at hand"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former First & Second Deputy Commissioner Of Europe
European Undersecretary For Culture
European Ambassador To The Western Isles
Member Of The European Home & Foreign Offices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of character unless noted otherwise. Any Questions, Comments, or Concerns, feel free to telegram me! :D

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:11 am

South St Maarten wrote:IC: "For an ambassador new to the hallowed halls of the world assembly, this is excellent work. South St Maarten is pleased to announce its full support for the proposal at hand"

Thank you! I appreciate your support!
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Jedinsto
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 482
Founded: Nov 12, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Jedinsto » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:24 am

Finally found the time/strength to read this and nitpick and make suggestions. To start, you're always better off doing the same thing with a proposal in few words than an essay. You should definitely cut back on the preamble a lot, it's way too long for you to expect many people to read all of that. I'll give suggestions on where to do so.

RECOGNIZING the importance of high-quality native habitats in the protection of local ecosystems


Why say "local" and "native" here? It works just as well if not better without those words.

NOTICING that tall grass prairies support a wide range of biodiversity, often including hundreds plant species, thousands insect species, several large mammals, and several prominent keystone species,

NOTING that tall grass prairies are often desirable for conversion to agricultural purposes, due to high nutrient levels in the soil, moderate levels of rainfall, and a lack of trees, which would otherwise have to be cut down for land conversion,


You could cut this whole thing out and still convince just as many if not more people to vote for.

LAMENTING that only a tiny fraction of tall grass prairies remain today, usually in areas which were previously inaccessible to agriculture,


Might as well cut everything after the comma.

OBSERVING that, in many WA member nations, the conversion of large tracts of land for agricultural purposes has severely decreased the abundance of tall grass prairies, which in turn has led to a reduction in biodiversity among pollinators,

TROUBLED that a lack of biodiversity among pollinators may be detrimental, not only to the ecosystem, but also to agriculture by creating, in many cases, an unstable 1 to 1 relationship between crop yield and a single pollinator species, which has the potential to collapse the agricultural industry of some nations, should said pollinator become extinct due to external factors,


Almost complete fluff. I recommend either a complete removal of these clauses or significant changes.

APPLAUDING the efforts of some nations to restore tall grass prairies by replanting native grasses in their historic range and periodically conducting controlled burns to prevent the encroachment of saplings into prairies, which would otherwise lead to the conversion of prairies into forests,


Complete fluff, doesn't really do anything to convince voters.

Next- the actual operatives
My drafts
James DuBois
Capitalism, centrism, environment, civil rights
Communism, socialism, nukes, fascism, Trump

User avatar
Jedinsto
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 482
Founded: Nov 12, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Jedinsto » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 am

Part two of the Jedin nitpick-

a. ‘tall grass prairie’ as a biome featuring the dominance of tall grass species, typically averaging from 1.5 - 2 meters in height, moderate levels of annual rainfall, usually between 700 - 900 millimeters each year, and the presence of periodic wildfires, which prevents the encroachment of saplings and invasive plant species,


Is the 1.5-2 meters grass a requirement? Is the 700-900 millimeter part a requirement to meet the definition? How about the wildfires? All of the stuff that isn't a requirement to meet the definition should be removed so there is no confusion. If the wildfire part is a requirement, how long is periodic? Be clear with what you are defining, we will let you know if it gets too micromanage-y.

c. ‘land development’ as any sapient activity which permanently alters the landscape from its naturally occurring form,


Which landscape are we talking about here? It would be better to use "a landscape" instead of "the landscape."

2. TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) to conduct the following:


Perhaps it would read better to say "TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) with the following:" Right now it reads as such- "The World Assembly hereby TASKS the WASP to conduct the following: Research bla bla bla, determine x, Perform z, etc.

e. Communicate their findings with the WA and the environmental agencies of member nations,


How about "communicate their findings with all WA member nations?"

e. Record all native species found to exist within a tall grass prairie, and collect seed samples from all native prairie plants,


This issue may have come up before and I missed it but, there are plenty of non-animal species such as bacteria, not sure if the members should be required to find all these species.

Other than that, be sure to stay within the character limit with all of this. That is all.
My drafts
James DuBois
Capitalism, centrism, environment, civil rights
Communism, socialism, nukes, fascism, Trump

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 am

Jedinsto wrote:Part two of the Jedin nitpick-

a. ‘tall grass prairie’ as a biome featuring the dominance of tall grass species, typically averaging from 1.5 - 2 meters in height, moderate levels of annual rainfall, usually between 700 - 900 millimeters each year, and the presence of periodic wildfires, which prevents the encroachment of saplings and invasive plant species,


Is the 1.5-2 meters grass a requirement? Is the 700-900 millimeter part a requirement to meet the definition? How about the wildfires? All of the stuff that isn't a requirement to meet the definition should be removed so there is no confusion. If the wildfire part is a requirement, how long is periodic? Be clear with what you are defining, we will let you know if it gets too micromanage-y.

c. ‘land development’ as any sapient activity which permanently alters the landscape from its naturally occurring form,


Which landscape are we talking about here? It would be better to use "a landscape" instead of "the landscape."

2. TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) to conduct the following:


Perhaps it would read better to say "TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) with the following:" Right now it reads as such- "The World Assembly hereby TASKS the WASP to conduct the following: Research bla bla bla, determine x, Perform z, etc.

e. Communicate their findings with the WA and the environmental agencies of member nations,


How about "communicate their findings with all WA member nations?"

e. Record all native species found to exist within a tall grass prairie, and collect seed samples from all native prairie plants,


This issue may have come up before and I missed it but, there are plenty of non-animal species such as bacteria, not sure if the members should be required to find all these species.

Other than that, be sure to stay within the character limit with all of this. That is all.


Thanks for the advice! I'll try to implement these changes in my next draft.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Barfleur
Diplomat
 
Posts: 503
Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Jedinsto wrote:
NOTICING that tall grass prairies support a wide range of biodiversity, often including hundreds plant species, thousands insect species, several large mammals, and several prominent keystone species,

NOTING that tall grass prairies are often desirable for conversion to agricultural purposes, due to high nutrient levels in the soil, moderate levels of rainfall, and a lack of trees, which would otherwise have to be cut down for land conversion,


You could cut this whole thing out and still convince just as many if not more people to vote for.

OOC: On this, I disagree. The average user is probably not aware of the intricacies of tall grass prairies and why they are so important to local ecosystems and to the environment as a whole. The proposal author would benefit, in my mind, from informing the voters of why it is desirable to protect these biomes.

LAMENTING that only a tiny fraction of tall grass prairies remain today, usually in areas which were previously inaccessible to agriculture,


Might as well cut everything after the comma.

OOC: With you on that.

OBSERVING that, in many WA member nations, the conversion of large tracts of land for agricultural purposes has severely decreased the abundance of tall grass prairies, which in turn has led to a reduction in biodiversity among pollinators,

TROUBLED that a lack of biodiversity among pollinators may be detrimental, not only to the ecosystem, but also to agriculture by creating, in many cases, an unstable 1 to 1 relationship between crop yield and a single pollinator species, which has the potential to collapse the agricultural industry of some nations, should said pollinator become extinct due to external factors,


Almost complete fluff. I recommend either a complete removal of these clauses or significant changes.

OOC: I respectfully disagree. To be sure, these clauses certainly are cumbersome and would benefit from revision, but like I said above, the average user does not know the intricacies of the subject in question. It is just as important to demonstrate that these biomes are in danger as it is to show why they are needed in the fist place.

APPLAUDING the efforts of some nations to restore tall grass prairies by replanting native grasses in their historic range and periodically conducting controlled burns to prevent the encroachment of saplings into prairies, which would otherwise lead to the conversion of prairies into forests,


Complete fluff, doesn't really do anything to convince voters.

OOC: Agreed.

IC: "I find the proposal laudable, especially given the often overlooked nature (heh) of this specific topic. My one objection is that it is not particularly global or even multinational in scope--not every nation even has native prairies and grasslands, and many nations which do have probably given some thought to preservation. Nevertheless, because the intrusion into national affairs is so minor in this proposal, I do not think that the lack of an international objective is particularly worrisome."


Also, formatting.
1. DEFINES for the purposes of this resolution:
  1. ‘tall grass prairie’ as a biome featuring the dominance of tall grass species, typically averaging from 1.5 - 2 meters in height, moderate levels of annual rainfall, usually between 700 - 900 millimeters each year, and the presence of periodic wildfires, which prevents the encroachment of saplings and invasive plant species;
  2. ‘pollinators’ as species that frequently spread pollen between the male and female components of a plant species, allowing said plants to fertilize the female ovules for reproduction; and
  3. ‘land development’ as any sapient activity which permanently alters the landscape from its naturally occurring form;

2. TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) with:
  1. researching the historical prevalence of tall grass prairies in all WA member nations;
  2. determining the impact that agriculture and land development has had on the decline of tall grass prairies and the loss of pollinators in all WA member nations;
  3. performing ecological surveys to assess the feasibility of restoring tall grass prairies in nations with significantly diminished tall grass prairie ranges;
  4. researching methods and creating guidelines for maintaining tall grass prairies in areas where periodic controlled burns have the potential to be ecologically damaging;
  5. communicating their findings with the WA and the environmental agencies of member nations; and
  6. assisting member nations in conducting independent research into native tall grass prairies when adequate resources are lacking;

3. MANDATES all member nations:
  1. determine areas where tall grass prairies currently exist within their borders;
  2. conduct environmental impact studies to determine the effect of any land development proposal within 5 kilometers of areas recognized as containing tall grass prairies;
  3. share raw data on all research pertaining to tall grass prairies with the WASP;
  4. maintain current tall grass prairies by:
    1. performing periodic controlled burns when it is ecologically in the best interest of the prairie and the surrounding area and unlikely to lead to the development of a wildfire, or else following the guidance set forth by the WASP in clause 2d;
    2. preventing land development for any purpose in tall grass prairies; and
    3. preventing sapient activities that have been found to be detrimental to the ecosystem, according to clause 3b, in the areas surrounding tall grass prairies; and
  5. record all native species found to exist within a tall grass prairie, and collect seed samples from all native prairie plants; and

4. STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that member nations:
  1. work to restore and maintain tall grass prairies in all ecologically feasible areas, as determined by the findings of the WASP;
  2. create economic incentives for private entities to restore and maintain tall grass prairies when direct government action is infeasible; and
  3. research methods of reducing land use and pollution associated with agriculture.
Last edited by Barfleur on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barfleur: Unus pro omnibus et omnes pro uno
Citizen of The East Pacific
“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
― Karl Lagerfeld
Ambassador: Roger MacGeorge
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission can be found at Room 1903, Floor 19, WAHQ.

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Barfleur wrote:*snip*


OOC: Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Draft 4 has been added.
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8173
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Big Boyz wrote:share raw data on all research pertaining to tall grass prairies with the World Assembly Science Program (WASP);

The above reworking of your Clause 3c (proposed alterations in blue) is all I have to say on this right now. You have already told us what the WASP is in Article 2; there is no need to do so again.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; -45 Darkspawn Kill Points; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 45yo Tory woman; Cambridge graduate; possibly very controversial; currently reading 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari

I STAND WITH PAM DUNCAN-GLANCY

User avatar
Jedinsto
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 482
Founded: Nov 12, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Jedinsto » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:04 am

Barfleur wrote:snip

You may be right about that, I am fine with this draft as long as some cuts are made to the preamble.

Seems like some cuts have been made, but I think there should be some more. So, to the author, I suggest you look back through the preamble and cut whatever you think isn't really necessary, but this has my full support. Good luck!
My drafts
James DuBois
Capitalism, centrism, environment, civil rights
Communism, socialism, nukes, fascism, Trump

User avatar
Big Boyz
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:23 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:share raw data on all research pertaining to tall grass prairies with the World Assembly Science Program (WASP);

The above reworking of your Clause 3c (proposed alterations in blue) is all I have to say on this right now. You have already told us what the WASP is in Article 2; there is no need to do so again.

fair point
I'm not psychotic, the voices tell me I'm sane!
Pretending to give my citizens freedom
Actually giving my citizens freedom

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Godka Moogleyles

Advertisement

Remove ads