NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT #1] Welfare Equity Compact

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT #1] Welfare Equity Compact

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:07 am

Character count: 1,915
Word count: 319
IC: Please take up your quibbles with Bianca Venkman, assistant to the Delegate-Ambassador.
OOC:
Welfare Equity Compact
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.
Category: Social Justice
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Tinhampton

Aware that member states are allowed, but not required, to make regular cash payments to individuals in need under GA#344 "Minimum Standard of Living Act,"

Concerned that member states that do conduct such payments are not currently prohibited by resolution from denying any person access to these payments on the basis that they live with somebody who themselves make too much money to access them, and

Believing that this injustice - and the inevitable result of forcing said rejects to seek uncertain (and sometimes virtually nonexistent) financial help from friends, family, and romantic partners instead of allowing them to benefit from a reliable social security net - should be prohibited on an international scale...

The General Assembly hereby:
  1. defines, for the purposes of this resolution:
    1. "P" as a person who has a genuine need of any form of regular cash payment from their government, and would be legally eligible to receive that form of payment in the circumstances they were in at the time such a need arose had they been living on their own at that time,
    2. "P's partner" as any person who is married to, in a civil union with, or otherwise cohabiting with P, and
    3. "income" as including income earned or savings made by a person,
  2. orders member governments not to prohibit P from receiving any form of regular cash payment from them simply because, at the time of P seeking such payment, the combined annual income of P and (all of) P's partner(s) would have rendered P ineligible for such payment,
  3. urges members in the strongest possible terms to ensure that any regular cash payments they dispense are given to individual applicants rather than households, and
  4. clarifies that Article b still applies to a member state even when any part of the process of applying for regular cash payments from that member's government has been outsourced.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:31 am

Dame Marie vyn Nysen: "The intent of this proposal seems fair to me, and I find myself in agreement with it in broad terms. An applicant for welfare should not be rejected simply because they have a partner who earns "too much". However, I do have a small gripe with one particular phrasing early on in the draft:

"who themselves make too much money to access them"

Perhaps it is because I immediately translate this phrase to my native language, but the current phrasing sounds somewhat casual. Wouldn’t something along the lines of "who themselves earn a living" sound more distinguished?"
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:33 am

"While we agree that this is a difficult situation for people, we are opposed to this being blanket policy. It is too much meddling in member states' internal taxation and welfare systems. Married couples being jointly assessed for such things is hardly unreasonable, there's no good reason to have the state supporting a millionaire's spouse. Merely cohabitating young people or temporary roommates is another question. If the proposal solely addressed these last two we would perhaps reconsider our opposition.

"Incidentally, in all situations in Bananaistan, a person claiming temporary social assistance having already made a certain level of social insurance contributions is exempt from any means test for the first 12 months of a claim. This is a better solution to the issue than having lifetime payments being made to someone who is already supported by their spouse. "
Last edited by Bananaistan on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:58 am

"Poorly written, domestic concern, and bad policy to boot. The trifrcta! Opposed."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:27 am

"We concur with the Separatist delegation. In fact, we encourage the Tinhamptonian delegation to look into the criminalization of failing to support one's spouse as a far better policy alternative than wasteful government spending."

OOC:
See generally: Chapter 14 Section 322 of the North Carolina General Statutes or 13 Arizona Revised Statutes 3610 off the top of my head or Chapitre VI of the Code Civile.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:09 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:"We concur with the Separatist delegation. In fact, we encourage the Tinhamptonian delegation to look into the criminalization of failing to support one's spouse as a far better policy alternative than wasteful government spending."

"Forgive me, Ambassador, but is the government not meant to be the caretaker of its people? The people entrust their safety, their wellbeing, their very existence to the state from the moment they are born, or choose a nation as their home. How could providing for those citizens be "wasteful government spending", I wonder? Does a parent not take care of its child? As an infant as well as when it endures hard times as an adult? In much the same way, the citizens are children of the state. It is good when the children are capable to take care of themselves, but they need to be able to have a safety net, a place of refuge when times are hard.

Naturally, the wife of a millionaire should not receive welfare support, unless there are extreme circumstances involved that would warrant support. However, everyone deserves to be treated equally in equal circumstances. While this proposal could definitely benefit from a lot of polishing, I would not consider the intent behind the proposal as bad, namely to provide a larger security net for those who need and deserve it. If such a security net can't be provided domestically, then at least this international body could elicit it coming into existence by legislation on this subject."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 am

“Against. If you are partners living together, which in Thermodolia considered to be common law marriage, and one of these partners makes more than is necessary to apply for benefits then don’t apply for benefits as you can clearly rely on your partner for assistance.”
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Thermodolia wrote:“Against. If you are partners living together, which in Thermodolia considered to be common law marriage, and one of these partners makes more than is necessary to apply for benefits then don’t apply for benefits as you can clearly rely on your partner for assistance.”

"Ambassador, yet does the "solution" that you propose not force someone who is already in a vulnerable position into a state of economic dependence on their partner? I could imagine some very unpleasant, if not toxic, relationships arising from such a thing."

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:“Against. If you are partners living together, which in Thermodolia considered to be common law marriage, and one of these partners makes more than is necessary to apply for benefits then don’t apply for benefits as you can clearly rely on your partner for assistance.”

"Ambassador, yet does the "solution" that you propose not force someone who is already in a vulnerable position into a state of economic dependence on their partner? I could imagine some very unpleasant, if not toxic, relationships arising from such a thing."

“It is not our governments concern”
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:20 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:"Ambassador, yet does the "solution" that you propose not force someone who is already in a vulnerable position into a state of economic dependence on their partner? I could imagine some very unpleasant, if not toxic, relationships arising from such a thing."

“It is not our governments concern”

"Yet your government chose to become part of a greater whole, namely the WA. Surely your government must feel some sense of solidarity in this regard? Because if not for your citizens, then for whom did you join this international body? I can't imagine it is your intent to leave your citizens uncared for."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:“It is not our governments concern”

"Yet your government chose to become part of a greater whole, namely the WA. Surely your government must feel some sense of solidarity in this regard? Because if not for your citizens, then for whom did you join this international body? I can't imagine it is your intent to leave your citizens uncared for."

“Our citizens are cared for. However we do not believe it’s the governments concern if someone has a partner who has enough money to not qualify for more benefits. That is not our governments concern. We will not hand out benefits to those who have a lot.”
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:"Yet your government chose to become part of a greater whole, namely the WA. Surely your government must feel some sense of solidarity in this regard? Because if not for your citizens, then for whom did you join this international body? I can't imagine it is your intent to leave your citizens uncared for."

“Our citizens are cared for. However we do not believe it’s the governments concern if someone has a partner who has enough money to not qualify for more benefits. That is not our governments concern. We will not hand out benefits to those who have a lot.”

"I agree that such welfare aid should not be granted freely to those who don't need it. Yet I'd argue that attaching provisions to such a welfare programme would be more beneficial than to discard it entirely. That way benefits will be granted to those who truly need it, while being fair and honest in the process. Remember, Ambassador, that a term like 'a lot' is highly subjective and dependent on the situation. For example, 3.000 royales is a lot for a single individual living in a small apartment on their own. 3.000 royales for a family of five is an entirely different matter. Which is why I say 'equal treatment, in equal circumstances'."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads