NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Universal Basic Income Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:55 am

Against. Thermodolia is not in the interest of giving people money just because. UBI would destroy our economy and budget. We have billions of people it would be outrageously expensive to give them $1,000 a month let alone more than that
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:57 am

Thermodolia wrote:Against. Thermodolia is not in the interest of giving people money just because. UBI would destroy our economy and budget. We have billions of people it would be outrageously expensive to give them $1,000 a month let alone more than that

And standardizing it to 5,000 monetary units without any additional consideration has catastrophic consequences.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 am

Frontier Isles wrote:
The Blue Star Union wrote:The World Assembly:

2. Establishes a system in which an income free from taxation and/or deduction is given in equal amount to every citizen of majority regardless of religion, social status or class, sexuality, race, gender or gender identity, nationality, species (if it may apply to animal, extraterrestrial, or artificial or synthetic life), or occupation.

3. Encourages nations to pile on income in addition to the Universal Basic Income if said nations so choose.

4. Sets the minimum value of the Universal Basic Income to no less than five-thousand standard monetary units per month and recommends that nations raise the value of the Universal Basic Income.

I would think that 5000 per month is way to much: 5000*12=60000 per year. The average real-life person in the UK makes 42330 pounds sterling per year. Switching the focus back to NS, how do you expect governments to pay for all of that?

Secondly, you want this basic income to be tax-free. In other words, we're looking at the "Average Disposable Income" (ADI) of a nation. In the world rankings of NS for ADI, having an ADI at around 50000 currencies already places you in the top 20% in the world. In other words, more than 80% of NS nations can't achieve your proposed standard.

I would suggest lowering your standard by a lot. (I mean, Andrew Yang, who briefly ran for President of the United States, suggested $1000 per month).

Exactly this. Thermodolia is a nation of 5 billion people. 60,000 times 5 billion is 300 Trillion, which is way more than the Thermodolian budget allows for everything. Just a 1,000 a month gets you 60 Trillion which is also very expensive.
Last edited by Thermodolia on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Gongsi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Gongsi » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:01 am

The Blue Star Union wrote:
Frontier Isles wrote:I would think that 5000 per month is way to much: 5000*12=60000 per year. The average real-life person in the UK makes 42330 pounds sterling per year. Switching the focus back to NS, how do you expect governments to pay for all of that?

Secondly, you want this basic income to be tax-free. In other words, we're looking at the "Average Disposable Income" (ADI) of a nation. In the world rankings of NS for ADI, having an ADI at around 50000 currencies already places you in the top 20% in the world. In other words, more than 80% of NS nations can't achieve your proposed standard.

I would suggest lowering your standard by a lot. (I mean, Andrew Yang, who briefly ran for President of the United States, suggested $1000 per month).

This is, in fact, a valid point you make. In the most pessimistic scenario, newer nations without decent economies may struggle. However, newer nations would not be members of the WA and would not have to be in compliance with WA resolutions. Unfortunately, I see no solution for nations that have less than decent economies that are members of the WA.

So the solution is to let only the top 20% richest countries participate? That's straight up plutocratic!
Dharmists_Malays_Christians_Chinese_Muslims_
A Chinese Republic on the west coast of Borneo.

GPNS President De Dangnan officially ends State of Emergency, reopens country.| Anti-Vaccine conspiracy theorist sentenced to 5 years for role in attempted hospital raid.| 12 year old De Minxiau, daughter of President De Dangnan, still missing. Police report no leads yet.

Gongsi is not representative of my beliefs, political or otherwise.
Might be a puppet of KindaFreeXP.
Tries very hard not to use NSS

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:04 am

Ardiveds wrote:OOC: What about this? How did this not cover UBI?
Other than that how exactly is a an arbitrary five thousand units remotely viable for different econmies with different values of currency?

Because this is nationstates, every currency has EXACTLY the same value, like one of my Corras is equal to one of your Runadts. Economic output in NS is measured in Standard Monetary Units and five thousand is perfectly valid assuming population grows in proportion to economy.

No it’s not. One Therma is equal to two NSD. Which means if you mandate $5,000 NSD a month it means we only have to pay them $2,500 a month
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:10 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Because this is nationstates, every currency has EXACTLY the same value, like one of my Corras is equal to one of your Runadts. Economic output in NS is measured in Standard Monetary Units and five thousand is perfectly valid assuming population grows in proportion to economy.

No it’s not. One Therma is equal to two NSD. Which means if you mandate $5,000 NSD a month it means we only have to pay them $2,500 a month

Well they're running off the assumption that people only consider NS monetary units as a flat values equivalent to one another, which of course is not true.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:21 am

Thermodolia wrote:

Also, I think the author is heavily relying on gameside stats while GA is largely based on rp. I mean for god's sake, you can basically skip the gameside stat effects of a particular resolution by rejoining a day after it passes. Policies of hardly any nation reflects all the GA resolutions perfectly.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

The Blue Star Union
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 22, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Blue Star Union » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:21 am

Gongsi wrote:
This is, in fact, a valid point you make. In the most pessimistic scenario, newer nations without decent economies may struggle. However, newer nations would not be members of the WA and would not have to be in compliance with WA resolutions. Unfortunately, I see no solution for nations that have less than decent economies that are members of the WA.

So the solution is to let only the top 20% richest countries participate? That's straight up plutocratic!

You must consider the fact that a Universal Basic Income would actually stimulate the economy because the people would be redistributing the money they are given back into the economy instead of holding onto it without spending like the rich do.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:58 am

Gongsi wrote:So the solution is to let only the top 20% richest countries participate? That's straight up plutocratic!

You must consider the fact that a Universal Basic Income would actually stimulate the economy because the people would be redistributing the money they are given back into the economy instead of holding onto it without spending like the rich do.

We aren’t going to bankrupt our economy by spending close to 300 Trillion which is far more than what Thermodolia spends in a year for everything. At that point you’re basically just asking us to only spend on UBI and not defense, education, welfare, healthcare, or really anything
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Marshite Ponies
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Marshite Ponies » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:10 pm

"I am Ambassador Twilight Sparkle of the Republic of Akila, and I am here to explain the Republic's opposition to this proposed legislation. While it is well-intentioned and laudable to see any legislation that seeks to uplift the poor and raise the economic floor of the least fortunate citizens of WA member states, it does so in a haphazard way. There are limitless and boundless economic systems and national economic strength and weaknesses. A one-size fits all blanket amount of financial coverage fails to take into acocunt the prosperity of the nation involved, their economic system, their ability to offer this set amount of currency to however many citizens they have, and whether or not they already have a system in place.

The proposal itself has several flaws that we would be concerned about. The first clause defines income as monetary distribution given to citizens. By directing this at citizens and then defining income as being directed at citizens, this proposal offers enterprising foes the ability to simply reclassify individuals as non-citizens. And this does not even take into account nations where citizenship is acquired through other means- military service, church affiliation, etc. This could serve to only further exacerbate the economic disparity between citizens and non-citizens. To boot, most new immigrants to a nation- some of the most economically disenfranchised groups- are rarely considered citizens as well.

For the second clause, we can only assume you mean 'of majority age'.

For the third clause, we have great issues with a proposal for this august body saying we should 'pile on'. It comes across as unprofessional.

For the fourth clause, we take issue with a set amount. Five thousand of one currency is not the same as another.

For this reasons and more we oppose this legislation, despite its good intentions. Have a Harmonious day.”
Member of the Romani-Marshite Union.
Marshite Ponies is ranked 1st in Borealias for Largest Defense Forces.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Against. Thermodolia is not in the interest of giving people money just because. UBI would destroy our economy and budget. We have billions of people it would be outrageously expensive to give them $1,000 a month let alone more than that

And standardizing it to 5,000 monetary units without any additional consideration has catastrophic consequences.

Not in the WA anymore, but I think there's an easy way around this; take whatever currency a nation has and make the UBI equivalent to $5,000 in NSD.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly