NATION

PASSWORD

Voter Cognition Test Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Northwest Americana
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Voter Cognition Test Act

Postby Northwest Americana » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Just proposed this sometime ago and I thought I might as well see what others think of it. My first WA proposal, so constructive critisism would be appreciated:

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Voter Cognitition Test Act
A resolution to increase democratic freedoms.

Category: Furtherment of Democracy
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Northwest Americana

Description: Resolved-

That this WA Resolution states that in all democratic member nations-

1. Some voters "of voting age" are highly uneducated and illiterate to such an effect that a child could score a higher score on a test than them

2. Some young adults are just as literate as adults in terms of world affairs and internal politics (a 17 year old honor student may be more knowledgeable than a 40 high-school drop out)

3. An international test of voter intelligence should occur in all democratic member nations and those who are unintelligent should not be able to vote; and those who are but were unable to

The test would be created by a committee on which nation-states that have the highest population intelligence would chair. They would ensure the test:

1. Is difficult enough to clearly show the difference between the average adult voter and the average "empowered" child

2. That illiterates of society who don't take their education and furtherment of life seriously will NOT be allowed to vote

3. That those literate (AND ARE COMMON) will be able to

4. This would abolish all voting age restrictions; the test would be administered to those who want it.

5. The test must ensure the "wanntabee" voter has a proficient and adult-like knowledge of:

-science
-mathematics
-international affairs
-internal politics
-language arts
-literacy in reading

6. Other than as mandated in section 4, distribution of the test would be mandated by member states themselves
A Citizenist State.

"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!"- Emiliano Zapata

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Voter Cognition Test Act

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:07 pm

It's illegal, methinks.
Last edited by The Emmerian Unions on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Northwest Americana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northwest Americana » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Hm? How so?
A Citizenist State.

"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!"- Emiliano Zapata

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Changes the way people play the game.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Northwest Americana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northwest Americana » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:37 pm

:blink:

No it doesn't.....

I didn't write anything in there that would change the way people play the game (at least intentionally)
Last edited by Northwest Americana on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Citizenist State.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:02 pm

(OOC: It would be illegal because of a category violation. How in the world is an aptitude test 'Furtherment of Democracy'? Not to mention denying the right to vote, in some cases. Oh, and it's also illegal for committee violations; we don't get to decide who chairs committees.)
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:06 pm

OOC: Wouldn't it also be illegal for optionality? It allows any government that's not a 'democratic' form to ignore it. Or am I mistaken?

Robbenshire
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robbenshire » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:09 pm

I have some suggestions. Firstly, I will use the term "cognizance" instead of "intelligence", because in order to preserve democracy, the voters must retain their free will. Using the term "intelligence" implies right and wrong political answers, akin to mathematical certainty, of which there is none in politics. Should a government put a test in place in which the only right answers are ones that agree with the current government's policies, democracy would become very controlled. Instead, the test should focus on understanding of current issues and political actions being proposed, which is cognizance and not intelligence. In that regard I agree with you: democracy can only accurately represent the will of the people if the people understand the issues well enough to vote in a way that accurately represents their desires.

Now in terms of the formatting of your proposal.

Northwest Americana wrote:2. Some young adults are just as literate as adults in terms of world affairs and internal politics (a 17 year old honor student may be more knowledgeable than a 40 high-school drop out)

This (and the whole proposal) ought to have the example stripped. Your proposal should be stated and not explained: the wording should be solid enough to allow the reader to understand its intent without needing additional writing to explain it. Your proposal indicates that only the intelligent should be allowed to vote, thus you should not need to dumb down your proposal.

Northwest Americana wrote:3. An international test of voter intelligence should occur in all democratic member nations and those who are unintelligent should not be able to vote; and those who are but were unable to

This makes no sense. Those who are but were unable to what, will or are what? Please clarify this section.

This should be clarified:
Northwest Americana wrote:The test would be created by a committee on which nation-states that have the highest population intelligence would chair. They would ensure the test:

It currently does not indicate a desired level of cognizance to be achieved to chair the committee, or, if the committee is to be chaired by the top X percent of democratic nations, it does not indicate a specific percentage.

Northwest Americana wrote:3. That those literate (AND ARE COMMON) will be able to

Will be able to what? Please clarify this section.

I have condensed the purpose of the list with this entry in the list to show poor formatting:
Northwest Americana wrote:The test would be created by a committee on which nation-states that have the highest population intelligence would chair. They would ensure the test:
4. This would abolish all voting age restrictions; the test would be administered to those who want it.

This needs to be updated.

This section has numerous problems:
Northwest Americana wrote:5. The test must ensure the "wanntabee" voter has a proficient and adult-like knowledge of:
-science
-mathematics
-international affairs
-internal politics
-language arts
-literacy in reading

Not only is "wannabe" blatantly misspelled, it is slang and should not be in a formal proposal. In addition, a political cognizance test should only determine the voter's understanding of current political issues. The voter's literacy or understanding of science or mathematics is unimportant if they are able to gather and understand enough information to accurately determine the effect their vote will have. The test therefore needs to be updated for every election or proposition.

I urge you to more carefully consider how well constructed your proposals are before you post one suggesting that only intelligent people should be allowed to vote.

OOC: Now, in terms of gameplay, this mandates action as it applies to certain nations. This is not optional and does not break rules, any more than mandating that an incredibly poor government stockpile resources for humanitarian aid (as mandated by the Humanitarian Aid Coordination Act which is currently being voted on and seems likely to be passed, and gives no provision for nations of a very poor economy). All governments are required to adhere to WA resolutions as they are able. Another example would be a nuclear disarmament act, which would mandate shutting down the production of nuclear weapons, being considered illegal because not all WA nations have nuclear weapons programs in place.

EDIT: This is categorized as a furthering of democracy, and this categorization has been challenged. However, the proposal states at its opening that poorly educated citizens do not accurately represent the will of the people in their votes, and that this system is proposed to improve that accuracy. Thus it would make democracy more effective, which would, in fact, be an improvement,
if the proposal accomplishes what it claims.
Last edited by Robbenshire on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
His Majesty King Nenquir VII
Lord over all Robbenshire

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:25 am

This is a terribly unprofessional proposal. The language is coarse and informal, and the text descends into a recounting of the author's own personal gripes. If the author has issues with the intelligence of his voters, I suggest that he take up those problems with appropriate national legislation instead of wasting the world community's time.

Robbenshire wrote:This is categorized as a furthering of democracy, and this categorization has been challenged. However, the proposal states at its opening that poorly educated citizens do not accurately represent the will of the people in their votes, and that this system is proposed to improve that accuracy. Thus it would make democracy more effective, which would, in fact, be an improvement, if the proposal accomplishes what it claims.

How exactly does disenfranchising voters according to an arbitrary intelligence test constitute furthering democracy?
Last edited by Doctor Cyclops on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:03 am

The honoured ambassador does not agree with the idea because with democracy it is every registered single adult on the electoral roll that has the right to vote no matter how illiterate they are. That being said, this probably suggests why crosses in ballot papers came into being back in the early days of Charlotte Ryberg.

Yours,

Northwest Americana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Northwest Americana » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:27 am

I appreciate all the constructive critisism, truthfully.

This thing will die eventually right? It's kind of humiliating now xp
A Citizenist State.

Robbenshire
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Robbenshire » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 am

Doctor Cyclops wrote:
Robbenshire wrote:This is categorized as a furthering of democracy, and this categorization has been challenged. However, the proposal states at its opening that poorly educated citizens do not accurately represent the will of the people in their votes, and that this system is proposed to improve that accuracy. Thus it would make democracy more effective, which would, in fact, be an improvement, if the proposal accomplishes what it claims.

How exactly does disenfranchising voters according to an arbitrary intelligence test constitute furthering democracy?

By making it more effective and accurate. Granted, the proposed intelligence test needs to be replaced with a political cognizance test to be effective, but ultimately it isn't the real effect that determines the category but the intended effect. Basically, just because you don't think it will further democracy, doesn't mean it isn't intended to, or even in fact that it won't.

To use an analogy, suppose that you have a room full of 40 people, and you are going to ask them to vote on which color to paint the room. Unfortunately, five of the people are blind, and ten are colorblind. Ten more don't know how to differentiate between mauve and maroon. I think I can say with some certainty that if each of these people voted, the vote would not be a very useful representation of the people's wishes, in some cases because the people are physically incapable of knowing what they're voting for, and in other cases because the people are uneducated in color, and therefore may make shortsighted votes.

The proposition begins with a claim that the understanding of political issues limits the ability of voters to make informed choices, and that uninformed votes cripple democracy by limiting its actual representation of the people. It then (in an admittedly poorly formatted fashion) attempts to correct this issue. This is a proposed improvement to the democratic process, and therefore belongs in the "furtherment of democracy" category.

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 am

Try changing the resolution so that it administers the test to minors only. That way it doesn't have the power to stop people from voting. In a democratic country voting is a right, and shouldn't be taken away from a non-minor.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Robbenshire
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Robbenshire » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Malikov wrote:In a democratic country voting is a right.

Ah, true. But not all citizens have access to all rights. Criminals in the US, for example, do not have the right to vote. Therefore, if it is acceptable to strip a citizen of their right to vote by merit of their deeds, then it should also be acceptable to strip a citizen of their right to vote by merit of their cognizance.

Malikov
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:56 am

People can't help if their I.Q. is lower than someone elses. I do realize that I.Q. appears to have nothing to do with cognization, however, I.Q. has a strong co-relation. Criminals don't have to commit crimes, but some people shouldn't be stripped of the right to vote, when they can't help it.
Current flag request.
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate

Ezra Cornell
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ezra Cornell » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:32 pm

I think this is a good idea for an "Issue".

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Crininals Choose to commit crimes. Many people of low cognition/ IQ can understand the issues if people are willing to take the time to expalin them in a simple and understandable fashion!
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:16 pm

Robbenshire wrote:Basically, just because you don't think it will further democracy, doesn't mean it isn't intended to, or even in fact that it won't.

That argument works both ways. Just because you think it will further democracy, doesn't mean it will.

Robbenshire wrote:To use an analogy, suppose that you have a room full of 40 people, and you are going to ask them to vote on which color to paint the room. Unfortunately, five of the people are blind, and ten are colorblind. Ten more don't know how to differentiate between mauve and maroon. I think I can say with some certainty that if each of these people voted, the vote would not be a very useful representation of the people's wishes, in some cases because the people are physically incapable of knowing what they're voting for, and in other cases because the people are uneducated in color, and therefore may make shortsighted votes.

This is flawed reasoning. First, it assumes that blind people would even have an opinion on what color the wall should be painted. Second, political issues are seldom so cut and dry. Third, we run into a problem of qualifications. Why is only this bare minimum of knowledge adequate for voting? Why stop at this exam? Why not restrict voting only to people who have relevant knowledge of the issue at hand? In your example above, would colorblind people be denied a vote on the color of the wall just because they can't distinguish between red and green?

Robbenshire wrote:The proposition begins with a claim that the understanding of political issues limits the ability of voters to make informed choices, and that uninformed votes cripple democracy by limiting its actual representation of the people. It then (in an admittedly poorly formatted fashion) attempts to correct this issue. This is a proposed improvement to the democratic process, and therefore belongs in the "furtherment of democracy" category.

You are assuming that there is some kind of universal definition of "informed" that we can look to as a guide. The truth is that this exam would be written by human beings, in effect making a person's right to vote dependent upon the opinion of another person. How does that further democracy?
Last edited by Doctor Cyclops on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malikov
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Leave well enough alone. If someone is stupid enough to live in a democratic country, and vote for a communist party, because it ''sound neat'' or something, then tough beans. I doubt there are enough of them to actually get a communist party into power. So far, democracy has been working fine, so why try to fix something thats not broken?
Current flag request.
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly