NATION

PASSWORD

A resolution that needs to be repealed

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Quartia and Karafuto
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 26, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

A resolution that needs to be repealed

Postby Quartia and Karafuto » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:13 pm

https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /council=1

Let me give an example to demonstrate the problem with this resolution: Suppose Turkey, Georgia, and Azerbaijan are working together and want to stop Armenia from being part of the international community. Obviously they can block all land trade, but before this resolution, Armenia would still have had a way out through the air. But now, "Member nations shall have sole sovereignty over their territorial airspace with regards to the movement of aircraft". This means that, since "Airspace" is the portion of the atmosphere above the land or water surface and below the height where airfoil-based powered flight becomes impossible, Armenia cannot bring any military aircraft in or out of their territory, and is subject to the whims of Turkey.

What we need is a provision for a height at which aircraft can safely pass without requiring consent from the nation they're passing over, without being low enough that it's a threat to the sovereignty of that nation.
My nation - which is pretty much just a unified Korea with some extra territory - represents my real views. NS stats only broadly correct, trust the factbooks over them. Feel free to call me Q&K, Quartia, or any other nickname.

Return to General Assembly