NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Dark Sky Preserve Creation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Boston Castle
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Boston Castle » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:06 am

Maowi wrote:
Boston Castle wrote:
  1. Member nations must work to identify areas that are suitable to be designated as dark sky preserves.
    1. Criteria for designation as a dark sky preserve shall be up to the discretion of the Astronomical Science and Technical Research Organization, hereafter referred to as ASTRO, and will include factors including local light pollution conditions, technology used to improve dark sky conditions through new or improved sources of illumination, and the development of a plan for user education on the preserve's purpose and goals.

"The factors listed that must be included in ASTRO's criteria seem ambiguously worded to me. Should an area be designated as a dark sky preserve because technology is already being used to improve dark sky conditions there? Or should technologies be used to improve dark sky conditions there after it has been designated a dark sky preserve, in order to keep it suitable for that purpose? The wording makes it sound like the former, and I am not sure that makes full sense. Likewise with the plan for user education.

"Given that you later add a requirement for investigation and protection of wildlife in dark sky preserves, I believe it would be sensible to add criteria related to the presence of and potential disruption to wildlife in the area."

Done? Maybe?

Thanks, Maowi!
WA Ambassador: Avi Rosenborg
About Me-ish

Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs, The North Pacific
Views expressed not necessarily those of TNP and her government unless stated othewise.

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:12 am

Boston Castle wrote:Done? Maybe?

Thanks, Maowi!

OOC: That looks a bit clearer to me :D

Author of GARs 457, 480, 486, 489, 508, and 537
Co-author of GARs 479 and 536, and SCR 341

Factbooks

Bananaistan
GA Secretariat

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:57 pm

"What exactly does this vast bureaucracy achieve that member states can't manage on their own? Particularly when it literally can do nothing without the consent of the domestic government."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281

Sierra Lyricalia
GA Secretariat

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"What exactly does this vast bureaucracy achieve that member states can't manage on their own? Particularly when it literally can do nothing without the consent of the domestic government."

"I must echo my colleague's question, ambassador - I'm afraid this still has no teeth! Without a serious requirement - say, to designate all areas with less than some threshold population density as dark sky preserves, in which no new major sources of light may be constructed, and whose existing sources must be minimized or eliminated whenever a building permit is issued on their premises - why, this is just a boon to those bureaucrats who spend all day classifying things, and not an environmental regulation that helps anyone's biosphere or ecosystem. We favor the general idea, sir - my grand nephew tinkers with spyglasses and radio sources, keeps him out of trouble - but a stack of definitions topped with a couple of platitudes is worse than useless. Command the Assembly, ambassador! Issue rules and orders. If you're not stepping on someone's toes, you simply aren't doing your job."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral, The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Boston Castle
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Boston Castle » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback, thinking about how to go about things (not abandoning this, but am thinking about what to do), so it may be a few days before the next draft is up.
About Me-ish

Views expressed not necessarily those of TNP and her government unless stated othewise.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Boston Castle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:19 pm

Working on this again, but a light bump.
About Me-ish

Previous

Return to General Assembly