NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Repeal "International Criminal Protocol"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

[Passed] Repeal "International Criminal Protocol"

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:40 pm

Replacement Draft for protecting Prison Conditions: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=496123
General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Protocol" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol" for its intended goal, which was ostensibly to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses,

Reassuring member states that a replacement resolution has been drafted to carry on the vital protections GA #500 offered concerning prison conditions,

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties,

Cognizant that many ambassadors were unaware of the resolution’s toleration of the death penalty at the time of its passage, perhaps because of its focus on the rights of prisoners,

Referring to the fact that this body has previously repealed otherwise well-meaning resolutions on such grounds (see also GA#438 Repeal: “Crime And Punishment”),

In particular, it must be noted that:
  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination,
Further noting that since the justifications presented for the use of the death penalty are insufficient to allow member states to legalize it, this esteemed Assembly ought to prohibit it - which cannot occur in the presence of the target resolution,

Appalled that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit, an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force,

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties, a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it,

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:00 am, edited 25 times in total.

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:40 pm

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Accord" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly;

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Accord" for its goal, which was to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses;

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties;

Appalled by the resolution's acceptance of a mother being separated from her child upon birth to be executed, as permitted by the following provision: "That, in the case of a pregnant individual being sentenced to capital punishment, that execution be stayed until such time as the prisoner is no longer pregnant,";

Observing that the resolution poses a barrier to the potential abolition of capital punishment by a future resolution;

Horrified that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force;

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it;

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Accord"

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Accord" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly;

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Accord" for its goal, which was to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses;

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties;

Appalled by the resolution's acceptance of a mother being separated from her child upon birth to be executed, as permitted by the following clause: "That, in the case of a pregnant individual being sentenced to capital punishment, that execution be stayed until such time as the prisoner is no longer pregnant,";

Sickened by the potential of compelled or forced abortions occurring as a result of the aforementioned clause; either due to a mother not wishing to inflict the emotional and psychological trauma on their child that would inevitably occur upon the child learning of the circumstances of their birth and their mother's execution, or due to a state forcing a mother to undergo an abortion in order to permit her execution;

Observing that the resolution poses a barrier to the potential abolition of capital punishment by a future resolution;

Horrified that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force;

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it;

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Accord".

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Accord" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly;

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Accord" for its goal, which was to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses;

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties;

In particular, it must be noted that:

  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination;
Appalled by the resolution's acceptance of a mother being separated from her child upon birth to be executed, as permitted by the following clause: "That, in the case of a pregnant individual being sentenced to capital punishment, that execution be stayed until such time as the prisoner is no longer pregnant,";

Observing that the resolution poses a barrier to the potential abolition of capital punishment by a future resolution;

Horrified that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force;

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it;

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Accord".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Accord" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly;

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Accord" for its intended goal, which was ostensibly to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses;

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties;

Cognizant that many ambassadors were unaware of the resolution’s toleration of the death penalty at the time of its passage, perhaps because of its focus on the rights of prisoners;

Referring to the fact that this body has previously repealed otherwise well-meaning resolutions on such grounds (see also GA#438 “Repeal: “Crime And Punishment”);

In particular, it must be noted that:
  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination;
Further noting that since the justifications presented for the use of the death penalty are insufficient to allow member states to legalize it, this esteemed Assembly ought to prohibit it - a ban which cannot be imposed in the presence of the target resolution;

Observing that the resolution poses a barrier to the potential abolition of capital punishment by a future resolution;

Appalled by the resolution's acceptance of a mother being separated from her child upon birth to be executed, as permitted by the following clause: "That, in the case of a pregnant individual being sentenced to capital punishment, that execution be stayed until such time as the prisoner is no longer pregnant,";

Horrified that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force;

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it;

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Accord".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Accord" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly;

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Accord" for its intended goal, which was ostensibly to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses;

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties;

Cognizant that many ambassadors were unaware of the resolution’s toleration of the death penalty at the time of its passage, perhaps because of its focus on the rights of prisoners;

Referring to the fact that this body has previously repealed otherwise well-meaning resolutions on such grounds (see also GA#438 “Repeal: “Crime And Punishment”);

In particular, it must be noted that:
  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination;
Further noting that since the justifications presented for the use of the death penalty are insufficient to allow member states to legalize it, this esteemed Assembly ought to prohibit it - a ban which cannot be imposed in the presence of the target resolution;

Appalled by the resolution's acceptance of a mother being separated from her child upon birth to be executed, as permitted by the following clause: "That, in the case of a pregnant individual being sentenced to capital punishment, that execution be stayed until such time as the prisoner is no longer pregnant,";

Horrified that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force;

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it;

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Accord".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Protocol" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol" for its intended goal, which was ostensibly to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses,

Believing, however, that the well-meaning provisions of this resolution are unnecessary due to the existence of GA #9 "Prevention of Torture"; which prohibits the holding of a prisoner under inhumane conditions, the holding of a prisoner under punitive confinement, the denial of sustenance and/or medical care, and the holding of a prisoner in severely confined positions,

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties,

Cognizant that many ambassadors were unaware of the resolution’s toleration of the death penalty at the time of its passage, perhaps because of its focus on the rights of prisoners,

Referring to the fact that this body has previously repealed otherwise well-meaning resolutions on such grounds (see also GA#438 “Repeal: “Crime And Punishment”),

In particular, it must be noted that:
  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination,
Further noting that since the justifications presented for the use of the death penalty are insufficient to allow member states to legalize it, this esteemed Assembly ought to prohibit it - which cannot occur in the presence of the target resolution,

Appalled by the resolution's acceptance of a mother being separated from her child upon birth to be executed, as permitted by the following clause: "That, in the case of a pregnant individual being sentenced to capital punishment, that execution be stayed until such time as the prisoner is no longer pregnant,",

Horrified that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force,

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it,

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Accord".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Protocol" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol" for its intended goal, which was ostensibly to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses,

Dismayed that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties,

Cognizant that many ambassadors were unaware of the resolution’s toleration of the death penalty at the time of its passage, perhaps because of its focus on the rights of prisoners,

Referring to the fact that this body has previously repealed otherwise well-meaning resolutions on such grounds (see also GA#438 Repeal: “Crime And Punishment”),

In particular, it must be noted that:
  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination,
Further noting that since the justifications presented for the use of the death penalty are insufficient to allow member states to legalize it, this esteemed Assembly ought to prohibit it - which cannot occur in the presence of the target resolution,

Appalled that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force,

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it,

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Protocol" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol" for its intended goal, which was ostensibly to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses,

Reassuring member states that a replacement resolution has been drafted; and is intended to carry on the vital protections offered by GA #500,

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties,

Cognizant that many ambassadors were unaware of the resolution’s toleration of the death penalty at the time of its passage, perhaps because of its focus on the rights of prisoners,

Referring to the fact that this body has previously repealed otherwise well-meaning resolutions on such grounds (see also GA#438 Repeal: “Crime And Punishment”),

In particular, it must be noted that:
  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination,
Further noting that since the justifications presented for the use of the death penalty are insufficient to allow member states to legalize it, this esteemed Assembly ought to prohibit it - which cannot occur in the presence of the target resolution,

Appalled that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit; an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force,

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties; a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it,

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.

General Assembly Resolution #500 "International Criminal Protocol" (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Applauding GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol" for its intended goal, which was ostensibly to preserve the civil liberties of those imprisoned from the horrors of state-sanctioned legal abuses,

Reassuring member states that a replacement resolution has been drafted to carry on the vital protections GA #500 offered concerning prison conditions,

Dismayed, however, that the resolution permits member states to decide the legality of capital punishment; a state-sanctioned penalty that this Assembly regards as inherently abhorrent and as posing a devastating detriment to civil liberties,

Cognizant that many ambassadors were unaware of the resolution’s toleration of the death penalty at the time of its passage, perhaps because of its focus on the rights of prisoners,

Referring to the fact that this body has previously repealed otherwise well-meaning resolutions on such grounds (see also GA#438 Repeal: “Crime And Punishment”),

In particular, it must be noted that:
  • The death penalty is always inconsistent with the inherent dignity of the person,
  • The costs of the administrative effort necessary to fully prove the guilt of the convicted almost always outweighs any of its possible financial benefits,
  • The presumption that the death penalty lowers violent crime rates is based on the empirically false assumption that the circumstances of violent crime can be considered in a vacuum where criminals act rationally,
  • The death penalty rarely aids the family of homicide victims, as it merely adds the emotional baggage of yet another life lost, and
  • The use of such a severe, irreversible penalty can further exacerbate disparities in justice systems, especially those with existing widespread discrimination,
Further noting that since the justifications presented for the use of the death penalty are insufficient to allow member states to legalize it, this esteemed Assembly ought to prohibit it - which cannot occur in the presence of the target resolution,

Appalled that this resolution stands in the way of preventing the execution of innocent persons for crimes they did not commit, an atrocity that will continue to occur so as long as this resolution remains in force,

Resolved that the numerous benefits and protections this resolution brings forth does not outweigh the crippling blow it inflicts upon civil liberties, a disservice to the good intentions that fostered it,

Hereby repeals GA #500 "International Criminal Protocol".

Co-authored by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle and Tinhampton.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:00 am, edited 9 times in total.

User avatar
Pope Saint Peter the Apostle
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 479
Founded: May 19, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pope Saint Peter the Apostle » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:48 pm

OOC: I support in principle although Tinhampton, with whom I was working on a new version of the draft, and perhaps someone else too I think also already have drafts for such a repeal. But multiple drafts is fine.
Last edited by Pope Saint Peter the Apostle on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep alert, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. 1 Cor. 16:13 (NRSVCE)
Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs, The North Pacific
Author of GAR 513

Pro: Catholicism, Consistent ethic of life, Second Amendment, Welfare, Zionism.
Anti: Fascism, Sedevacantism, Socialism, Trump, Utilitarianism.
WA member. IC comments made by patron saints, representing the Holy See.

User avatar
Pope Saint Peter the Apostle
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 479
Founded: May 19, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pope Saint Peter the Apostle » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:22 pm

Pope Saint Peter the Apostle wrote:OOC: I support in principle although Tinhampton, with whom I was working on a new version of the draft, and perhaps someone else too I think also already have drafts for such a repeal. But multiple drafts is fine.

...and resolved.
Keep alert, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. 1 Cor. 16:13 (NRSVCE)
Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs, The North Pacific
Author of GAR 513

Pro: Catholicism, Consistent ethic of life, Second Amendment, Welfare, Zionism.
Anti: Fascism, Sedevacantism, Socialism, Trump, Utilitarianism.
WA member. IC comments made by patron saints, representing the Holy See.

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:24 pm

Pope Saint Peter the Apostle wrote:
Pope Saint Peter the Apostle wrote:OOC: I support in principle although Tinhampton, with whom I was working on a new version of the draft, and perhaps someone else too I think also already have drafts for such a repeal. But multiple drafts is fine.

...and resolved.

Indeed.

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2751
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:42 pm

I also do not support this repeal.
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:I also do not support this repeal.

Are there any particular reasons why not?

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2751
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:I also do not support this repeal.

Are there any particular reasons why not?

1. Preventing the Execution of Innocents already enforces strong regulations on capital punishment, so basically only the genocidal dictators and the other worst of the worst get executed. I would like it to remain this way.

2. I don't get the 'appalled' clause. Are you saying it would be better for the mother to be separated from the child behind bars, in solitary confinement or something?
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Are there any particular reasons why not?

1. Preventing the Execution of Innocents already enforces strong regulations on capital punishment, so basically only the genocidal dictators and the other worst of the worst get executed. I would like it to remain this way.

2. I don't get the 'appalled' clause. Are you saying it would be better for the mother to be separated from the child behind bars, in solitary confinement or something?

Regarding the 'appalled' clause: I believe that it is indeed depraved that a mother should carry her baby to term only to be executed once the baby has been born. I do believe that it would be better for the mother to live, as this negates the potential of an innocent's execution, no matter how minute the odds may be. It is for this reason, and those that have been listed in the repeal itself that I believe capital punishment as a practice to be inherently cruel and unjust.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10380
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:36 pm

I think the target ought to be repealed.

Author: 1 SC and 42 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Desmosthenes and Burke
Envoy
 
Posts: 343
Founded: Oct 07, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:25 pm

The reasons given in this repeal are a hard pass, though I would like to see the target repealed.
香港加油!林郑月娥一定要去!自由香港万岁!五毛回家!| Carrie Lam must go! Long Live Free Hong Kong | La France pour les Français et Ceux Qu'en Veut Devenir Un.



User avatar
Maowi
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1165
Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:41 am

OOC: The target resolution is called "International Criminal Protocol" (not "Accord").

Edit: will there be a replacement resolution prepared with some of the non-death-penalty-related provisions of the target in place (e.g. the portions addressing solitary confinement)?
Last edited by Maowi on Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author of GARs 457, 480, 486, 489, 508, and 537
Co-author of GARs 479 and 536, and SCR 341

Factbooks

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:47 am

Maowi wrote:OOC: The target resolution is called "International Criminal Protocol" (not "Accord").

Edit: will there be a replacement resolution prepared with some of the non-death-penalty-related provisions of the target in place (e.g. the portions addressing solitary confinement)?

That is my intent, to get a replacement draft lined up. Also, good catch :P

EDIT: I'm actually writing a replacement draft right now.

EDIT 2: I've decided to renege on the replacement, as per the new 'Believing' clause.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Added the following clause:
Believing, however, that the well-meaning provisions of this resolution are unnecessary due to the existence of GA #9 "Prevention of Torture"; which prohibits the holding of a prisoner under inhumane conditions, the holding of a prisoner under punitive confinement, the denial of sustenance and/or medical care, and the holding of a prisoner in severely confined positions,

This essentially adds juicy substance to the repeal besides the opposition to capital punishment.

User avatar
Wayneactia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1708
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wayneactia » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:22 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:Added the following clause:
Believing, however, that the well-meaning provisions of this resolution are unnecessary due to the existence of GA #9 "Prevention of Torture"; which prohibits the holding of a prisoner under inhumane conditions, the holding of a prisoner under punitive confinement, the denial of sustenance and/or medical care, and the holding of a prisoner in severely confined positions,

This essentially adds juicy substance to the repeal besides the opposition to capital punishment.

"Most of this repeal pertains solely to capital punishment, which has been defacto banned by the WA anyway. I see no reason to repeal this."

Wayne

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2751
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:30 am

Believing, however, that the well-meaning provisions of this resolution are unnecessary due to the existence of GA #9 "Prevention of Torture"; which prohibits the holding of a prisoner under inhumane conditions, the holding of a prisoner under punitive confinement, the denial of sustenance and/or medical care, and the holding of a prisoner in severely confined positions,


Are they though? If there was nothing new being added to international law GA#500 would had been ruled illegal for duplication.
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:20 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Believing, however, that the well-meaning provisions of this resolution are unnecessary due to the existence of GA #9 "Prevention of Torture"; which prohibits the holding of a prisoner under inhumane conditions, the holding of a prisoner under punitive confinement, the denial of sustenance and/or medical care, and the holding of a prisoner in severely confined positions,


Are they though? If there was nothing new being added to international law GA#500 would had been ruled illegal for duplication.

This is what Sep said in regards to my replacement attempt: viewtopic.php?p=38122277#p38122277
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Tinfect
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5166
Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tinfect » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:54 pm

OOC:
Like certain prior repeal attempts, literally all this does, is construct a strawman unrelated to the target, (combined with some utterly unfounded claims, otherwise) and proceed to knock it down. It's an unimpressive effort to repeal critical civil rights legislation so as to try and shove through deeply unpopular policy.

Certain you'll get no support from me.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female


Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: Preliminary trials of Military Doctrinal Reform prototypes to begin; IRPC 5-115, 5-298, 5-076 public details, Project Lead interviews released | Aeravahn occupation expands to 17% of the Exterior Territories, Internal Security orders full-stop to Civilian expeditions to Exterior | TCO - Vigilant Star declared missing following exit of Iraet orbital region | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Tinfect wrote:It's an unimpressive effort to repeal critical civil rights legislation so as to try and shove through deeply unpopular policy.

OOC: I encourage you to read my replacement draft attempt in regards to the civil rights protections that ICP offers. As for the death penalty: I believe that banning it directly is a matter of critical importance; considering that PEoI is also having a repeal drafted for it.

EDIT: So I've moved that above draft back to draftspace. So now a replacement is lined up to preserve the civil rights that ICP sought to protect.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2751
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:32 pm

No replacement, no support.
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
Greater Cesnica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7033
Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:No replacement, no support.

I've moved the replacement back to draftspace.

User avatar
Potted Plants United
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1033
Founded: Jan 14, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Potted Plants United » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:As for the death penalty: I believe that banning it directly is a matter of critical importance;

"As long as killing sapients in a war is entirely legal, given how many die in wars compared to how many are executed, anyone not also suggesting banning all killing of sapients for militaristic reasons, is a hypocrite who doesn't believe their own words."
This nation is a plant-based hivemind. It's current ambassador for interacting with humanoids is a bipedal plant creature standing at almost two metres tall. In IC in the WA.
My main nation is Araraukar.
Separatist Peoples wrote:"NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE!"
- Mr. Bell, when introduced to PPU's newest moving plant

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads