NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal GA#27: Freedom of Assembly

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Libertarian Police State

[PASSED] Repeal GA#27: Freedom of Assembly

Postby Wymondham » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Repeal “Freedom of Assembly”
Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#27

The General Assembly,

Applauding the efforts of General Assembly Resolution #27 to establish and safeguard the fundamental right to freely associate and assemble,

Regretting the many loopholes that the resolution presents which could allow despotic governments to clamp down on free assembly, such as the lack of a definition or qualifier for “harm” in clause 3, potentially obligating governments to forbid protests or demonstrations based on minor, technical and irrelevant harms, such as increased taxes on the most wealthy in society,

Believing, despite this, that there are also many situations in which the resolution protects assemblies which cause severe threats to public safety, as detailed below,

Noting that Clause 1 of the resolution establishes the right to “peacefully assemble, associate, and protest to promote, pursue, and express any goal, cause, or view”,

Concerned, however, that Clause 1 allows denizens to abuse the rights granted by it to evade incarceration, punishment, or other repercussions for their crimes - a significant hindrance to the execution of justice, by extending the right to assemble to “all individuals” regardless of their criminal status,

Worried that clause 2 of the resolution does not prevent protests which cause harm to members of the public, for example protests organised on a public highway, those which would block the route of emergency vehicles, or protests that take place in dangerous or unhealthy conditions, as clause 2 states governments may only restrict the freedom of assembly when “individuals organizing are trespassing on private property and/or if circumstances beyond the control of the Government threaten the safety of those organizing”,

Saddened that, while it bars those who call for violence via direct action from its protections, the resolution shields those who do so via calls for deliberate inaction, such as by urging law enforcement officers to refrain from protecting individuals of a certain racial group,

Appalled that clause 3 does not extend its prohibition to demonstrations that call for violence against the imprisoned, accused or convicted, only applying its protections to the nebulously defined group of “innocent people”,

Believing that more detailed and comprehensive legislation is required to address the issues raised in this resolution,

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution #27 “Freedom of Assembly”.

Co-authored by Maowi

The General Assembly,

Applauding the efforts of General Assembly Resolution #27 to establish and safeguard the fundamental right to freely associate and assemble,

Noting that clause 1 of the resolution establishes the right to “peacefully assemble, associate, and protest to promote, pursue, and express any goal, cause, or view”,

Concerned, however, that clause 1 allows denizens to abuse the rights granted by it to evade incarceration, punishment, or other repercussions for their crimes - a significant hindrance to the execution of justice, by extending the right to assemble to “all individuals” regardless of their criminal status,

Worried that clause 2 of the resolution does not prevent protests which cause harm to members of the public, for example protests organised on a public highway, those which would block the route of emergency vehicles, or protests that take place in dangerous or unhealthy conditions, as clause 2 states governments may only restrict the freedom of assembly when “individuals organizing are trespassing on private property and/or if circumstances beyond the control of the Government threaten the safety of those organizing”,

Regretting the many loopholes that the resolution presents which could allow despotic governments to clamp down on free assembly, such as the lack of a definition or qualifier for “harm” in clause 3, potentially obligating governments to forbid protests or demonstrations based on minor, technical and irrelevant harms, such as increased taxes on the most wealthy in society,

Saddened that the resolution does not acknowledge that deliberate inaction, such as failure by law enforcement officers to protect individuals of a certain racial group, can be incredibly damaging and that assembly for the purpose of calling for such inaction ought not to fall under its protections,

Appalled that clause 3 does not extend its prohibition to demonstrations that call for violence against the imprisoned, accused or convicted, only applying its protections to the nebulously defined group of “innocent people”,

Believing that more detailed and comprehensive legislation is required to address the issues raised in this resolution,

The General Assembly,

Believing, despite this, that there are also many situations in which the resolution protects assemblies which cause severe threats to public safety, as detailed below,

Noting that Clause 1 of the resolution establishes the right to “peacefully assemble, associate, and protest to promote, pursue, and express any goal, cause, or view”,

Concerned, however, that Clause 1 allows denizens to abuse the rights granted by it to evade incarceration, punishment, or other repercussions for their crimes - a significant hindrance to the execution of justice, by extending the right to assemble to “all individuals” regardless of their criminal status,

Saddened that the resolution does not acknowledge that deliberate inaction, such as failure by law enforcement officers to protect individuals of a certain racial group, can be incredibly damaging and that assembly for the purpose of calling for such inaction ought not to fall under its protections,

The General Assembly,

Disappointed that the resolution allows denizens to impede the proper function of government under the pretence of an assembly, as Clause 2 does not extend its provisions to public property, or to assemblies which prevent the government from functioning, such as occupying the legislative assembly of a member state,

Co-authored by Maowi

The General Assembly,

Disappointed that the resolution allows denizens to impede the proper function of government under the pretence of an assembly, as Clause 2 does not extend its provisions to public property, or to assemblies which prevent the government from functioning, such as occupying the legislative assembly of a member state,

Saddened that, while it bars those who call for violence via direct action from its protections, the resolution shields those who do so via calls for deliberate inaction, such as by urging law enforcement officers to refrain from protecting individuals of a certain racial group,

Co-authored by Maowi
[/quote]

Link to original resolution.
OOC: Draft No1, first GA proposal draft ever so comments are very much appreciated. Replacement draft avaliable here.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Reason: This WA Resolution is now officially AT VOTE.
Doer of the things and the stuffs.
That British dude who does the charity fundraiser.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Support.

Does the proposed replacement substantively improve on this deficiency?
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Wymondham wrote:OOC: Draft No1, first GA proposal draft ever so comments are very much appreciated. Replacement draft avaliable here.

It looks like some of the objections raised n the repeal are not addressed by the replacement. "protests organised on a public highway" is not directly covered, assuming it does not block emergency vehicles. A p[rotest that blocked every vehicle but emergency vehicles would be fine under the replacement. It doesn't help the repeal when the replacement is guilty of some of the same sins as the original is being accused of.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:58 pm

OOC: yeah, if we’re going to be repealing this, I want to see a replacement first. I have no doubt this has the best of intentions, but a right as fundamental as this needs to spend as little time not enshrined as possible.
Then save me, or the passed day will shine…

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:46 pm

OOC: It's good form to link to the target in the OP.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:26 pm

OOC: Firstly to the comments around issues raised in the repeal that the replacement does not cover, I will of course liase with Maowi, who is the main author of the replacement, to seek to ensure said issues are fully covered by the replacement which is currently in drafting in its own thread.
Boston Castle wrote:OOC: yeah, if we’re going to be repealing this, I want to see a replacement first. I have no doubt this has the best of intentions, but a right as fundamental as this needs to spend as little time not enshrined as possible.

OOC: The draft replacement is already up on the forums, and is linked in the OP, it can be found here.
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: It's good form to link to the target in the OP.

OOC: My apologies, is it better to link to the resolution on the GA passed resolutions page on the main site, or the post in the GA resolutions thread on the forums?
Last edited by Wymondham on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Wymondham wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: It's good form to link to the target in the OP.

OOC: My apologies, is it better to link to the resolution on the GA passed resolutions page on the main site, or the post in the GA resolutions thread on the forums?

OOC: Either is acceptable but the post in the passed resolutions thread is easier to get for you.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:03 pm

“You capitalise ‘clause’ in your ‘noting’ and ‘concerned’ clauses, but not anywhere else. This needs to be standardised, preferably with the non-capitalised variant. Regardless, this repeal has my full support.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:29 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Wymondham wrote:OOC: My apologies, is it better to link to the resolution on the GA passed resolutions page on the main site, or the post in the GA resolutions thread on the forums?

OOC: Either is acceptable but the post in the passed resolutions thread is easier to get for you.

OOC: I have edited it into the OP :)
Kenmoria wrote:“You capitalise ‘clause’ in your ‘noting’ and ‘concerned’ clauses, but not anywhere else. This needs to be standardised, preferably with the non-capitalised variant. Regardless, this repeal has my full support.”

"Our apologies, it appears our ambassdor wrote this at the end of a particularly long word day, the capitaliation error has been corrected with the non-capitalised variant. In the future we shall ensure our ambassador writes his proposals at a more resonable hour."

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:02 pm

"You have a jumble of arguments that are either slamming the resolution for not protecting the right to assembly in certain cases and slamming it for protecting the right to assemble in certain cases. I wonder if it will be beneficial to stick to just one narrative (I recommend the not doing enough one) as some people may support some arguments but oppose others, therefore losing you more support."
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:05 pm

Big agree; pick one consistent position to defend in your repeal.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:23 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:"You have a jumble of arguments that are either slamming the resolution for not protecting the right to assembly in certain cases and slamming it for protecting the right to assemble in certain cases. I wonder if it will be beneficial to stick to just one narrative (I recommend the not doing enough one) as some people may support some arguments but oppose others, therefore losing you more support."

"I understand your concerns, I have restructured the resolution to provide a coherent narrative whilst still addressing all of the issues my government perceives with the resolution in question"

Modessia
Secretary

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Modessia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Hmm. As the other members have said, could you immediately put forward new legislation after the old was repealed? Striking this act down without a replacement would be extremely dangerous.
Stylan's in-character roleplaying puppet.

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Modessia wrote:Hmm. As the other members have said, could you immediately put forward new legislation after the old was repealed? Striking this act down without a replacement would be extremely dangerous.

OOC: The replacement draft is linked in the OP and can be found here

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:43 am

OOC: Bump. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated as this is my first time in the GA

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:03 pm

OOC: I've added in the following clause:
Disappointed that the resolution allows denizens to impede the proper function of government under the pretence of an assembly,

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:23 pm

Wymondham wrote:OOC: I've added in the following clause:
Disappointed that the resolution allows denizens to impede the proper function of government under the pretence of an assembly,

How?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:

How?

That is a legitimate question.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:10 am

Honeydewistania wrote:

How?

"Our delegation has expanded the clause to read as follows in an attempt to explain how GA27 allows this to occur"

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 pm

OOC: Bump, feedback much appreciated

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:06 pm

Last call for comments on this - will be submitted for approval at the weekend

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:59 pm

In respond to feedback via discord the following change has been made

Has been altered to:

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:23 am

This has been submitted for approval here

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:16 am

I support this repeal, and have approved it.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:46 pm

OOC: I have marked this Illegal in the queue for an Honest Mistake: the clause beginning "Disappointed..." asserts that assemblies which result in the occupation of legislative assemblies are protected under the target resolution. The target clearly states that "individuals shall have the right to peacefully assemble" (emphasis added) - non-peaceful assemblies are not protected here and I don't see how anyone could argue that such occupations are "peaceful."

I apologize for not catching this prior to submission; the last time I looked at this thread I don't recall seeing it, but that was a while back.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives