NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Strategic Environmental Assessment System

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 07, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[DRAFT] Strategic Environmental Assessment System

Postby Blyskalia » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:16 pm

This is Draft 3, my other drafts can be seen in the spoiler below:

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of effect: Eduction

The General Assembly,

Recognizing the importance of the climate which is shared in trust between all nations,

Intending to create a structured environmental data system aiming to ensure that environmental and other sustainable projects are considered effectively in policy, plan, and program making.

Hereby,

1. Establishes the Strategic Environmental Assessment System, also known as SEAS, which will be tasked with:
      a. Gathering existing relevant climatic and environmental information (herein referred to simply as "information") from Member States,
      b. Conducting original climatic and environmental research regarding:
        i. Current and potential future environmental hazards, especially hazards related to global air pollution/quality,
        ii. Potential improvements that can be made to Member State's general environmental policy and specifically towards air quality controls and hazards,
        iii. The efficacy of sustainability programs which may already be underway in a Member State,
        iv. The environmental impact of proposed public projects or developments within a Member State,
      c. Systematizing information into comprehensive Environmental Assessment Reports, or EAR's, which shall:
        i. Provide Member States:
          1. Recommendations for future sustainable development with several longitudinal outlooks measuring potential air quality and ecological contaminants based on pursued policy initiatives,
          2. Warnings regarding harmful environmental hazards,
          3. A report on the efficacy of current sustainability projects,
      d. Creating publicly available Environmental Research Reports, or ERR's, which are generalized reports meant for universal consumption by all Member States for the purpose of advancing general knowledge in climatic and environmental research,
    2. Urges all Member States provide to SEAS any existing research or data which is both declassified/public in nature AND deemed by SEAS to be valuable to the formulation of EAR or ERR reports,
    3. Permits non-governmental scientific research groups to contribute environmental research in the organization phase of the formulation of EAR and/or ERR reports with the understanding that they may negotiate compensation for the licensing of such material to SEAS,
    4. Mandates all reports are published free of charge,
    5. Permits Member States to restrict public access to their respective EAR reports on an unconditional basis,

The General Assembly,

Recognizing the importance of the climate which is shared in trust between all nations,

Intending to create a structured environmental data system aiming to ensure that environmental and other sustainable projects are considered effectively in policy, plan, and program making.

Hereby,

1. Defines "structured environmental data" herein referred to as "data", as raw information relating to the environment, climate, and clearly measurable environmental changes,

a. Defines "raw information" as basic environmental data that is easily obtained through routine measurement,

2. Establishes the Strategic Environmental Assessment System, herein referred to as "SEAS", which is tasked with:

a. The collection, organization, synthesis, and delivery of packaged environmental data for the purpose of,

b. Preparing for all member states, a structured, rigorous, participative, open, and transparent SEAS report,

i. The information which will be collected and utilized in the formation of SEAS reports are:

1. Temperature, wind speeds, humidity, water toxicity, air pollution, soil composition, tidal current mapping, jet stream patterns, and hazardous weather incidences,

c. Making publically available environmental research collected to promote the general welfare of nations, to create and maintain conditions under which member states and nature can exist in productive harmony,

3. Mandates member states submit to SEAS any environmental or climate information which can be used in the compilation of SEAS reports,

4. Permits non-governmental scientific research groups to contribute environmental research in the organization phase of the formulation of SEAS report with the understanding that they may negotiate compensation for the transfer of ownership of such material to SEAS,

5. Requires all SEAS reports be released free of charge to member states,

This is Draft 2, my first draft can be seen in the spoiler below:

The General Assembly,

Hereby,

1. Establishes the Strategic Environmental Assessment System, also known as SEAS, which will be tasked with:
      a. Gathering existing relevant climatic and environmental information (herein referred to simply as "information") from Member States,
      b. Conducting original climatic and environmental research regarding:
        i. Current and potential future environmental hazards,
        ii. Potential improvements that can be made to Member State's environmental policy,
        iii. The efficacy of sustainability programs which may already be underway in a Member State,
        iv. The environmental impact of proposed public projects or developments within a Member State,
      c. Systematizing information into comprehensive Environmental Assessment Reports, or EAR's, which shall:
        i. Provide Member States:
          1. Recommendations for future sustainable development,
          2. Warnings regarding harmful environmental hazards,
          3. A report on the efficacy of current sustainability projects,
      d. Creating publicly available Environmental Research Reports, or ERR's, which are generalized reports meant for universal consumption by all Member States for the purpose of advancing general knowledge in climatic and environmental research,
    2. Urges all Member States provide to SEAS any existing research or data which is both declassified/public in nature AND deemed by SEAS to be valuable to the formulation of EAR or ERR reports,
    3. Permits non-governmental scientific research groups to contribute environmental research in the organization phase of the formulation of EAR and/or ERR reports with the understanding that they may negotiate compensation for the licensing of such material to SEAS,
    4. Mandates all reports are published free of charge,
    5. Permits Member States to restrict public access to their respective EAR reports on an unconditional basis,
Last edited by Blyskalia on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:25 am, edited 15 times in total.
  • My History (to the best of my recollection)
    DEN: January 2015 until the Fall of DEN on April 2nd, 2016
    HYDRA Command & The Invaders: April 2016 until late 2017
    Various Bumping Around & The Black Hawks: 2017 until mid-2018
    Main Hiatus: mid-2018 until late 2020
    The North Pacific: Late 2020 to the Present Day serving as Deputy Speaker

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:26 pm

"Ambassador, what exactly do you mean by 'basic instrumentation'? And more importantly, what is the overall goal of this proposal?"
OOC: what is the category and strength/aoe of this proposal?
Last edited by Ardiveds on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Ardiveds wrote:"Ambassador, what exactly do you mean by 'basic instrumentation'? And more importantly, what is the overall goal of this proposal?"

OOC: fixed

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Blyskalia wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:"Ambassador, what exactly do you mean by 'basic instrumentation'? And more importantly, what is the overall goal of this proposal?"

OOC: fixed

'What is the overall goal of this proposal?'

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:10 pm

You don't use your definitions anywhere in the proposal text.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Blyskalia wrote:OOC: fixed

I share the question.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:24 pm

Cretox State wrote:You don't use your definitions anywhere in the proposal text.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:'What is the overall goal of this proposal?'

I share the question.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Blyskalia wrote:OOC: fixed

The goal is to create a WA agency designed to collect and freely share climate and environmental data for the general advancement of scientific knowledge through international cooperation.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:55 am

Blyskalia wrote:
Cretox State wrote:You don't use your definitions anywhere in the proposal text.

I share the question.

The goal is to create a WA agency designed to collect and freely share climate and environmental data for the general advancement of scientific knowledge through international cooperation.

(OOC: I think you will have difficulty trying to create such a legislation, because GA proposals are usually supposed to focus on actions taken by member states, rather than on committees. There is additionally rule called the ‘committee only rule’, which bans legislation that just mandates things that a committee or agency should do. I encourage you to try to see if you could make this proposal focus more on member states.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:42 am

[
Blyskalia wrote:

I share the question.

"How exactly will the public knowing:
Temperature, wind speeds, humidity, water toxicity, air pollution, soil composition, tidal current mapping, jet stream patterns, and hazardous weather incidences,
of every member nation promote 'general welfare' and 'general advancement of scientific knowledge'? Sounds more like waste of resources and purposeless bureaucracy. Perhaps you should be less general and more specific with your legislation."
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:59 am

Blyskalia wrote:The goal is to create a WA agency designed to collect and freely share climate and environmental data for the general advancement of scientific knowledge through international cooperation.

What problem does this solve?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:51 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Blyskalia wrote:The goal is to create a WA agency designed to collect and freely share climate and environmental data for the general advancement of scientific knowledge through international cooperation.

What problem does this solve?

It creates a unified base of knowledge for environmental and climate research.

The resolution is a little bit different in its format, I know this. Basically the resolution aims to create a basic and apolitical committee to begin international cooperation in research on the environment and climate.

If forced to answer the question of, "but still, what does this solve?" I would answer that no such cooperation exists but yet has the potential, even through simple means, to improve international knowledge of climate and environmental issues.
Last edited by Blyskalia on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:21 am

Blyskalia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:What problem does this solve?

It creates a unified base of knowledge for environmental and climate research.

The resolution is a little bit different in its format, I know this. Basically the resolution aims to create a basic and apolitical committee to begin international cooperation in research on the environment and climate.

If forced to answer the question of, "but still, what does this solve?" I would answer that no such cooperation exists but yet has the potential, even through simple means, to improve international knowledge of climate and environmental issues.

We already do research on the climate and the weather. Meteorological Cooperation viewtopic.php?p=1821884#p1821884. We already solved global warming. Greenhouse Gas Cap and Trade Program viewtopic.php?p=35010138#p35010138. We already do research at the ecosystem level. Researching Unique Ecosystems viewtopic.php?p=26911900#p26911900.

That said... saying that 'it solves a lack of cooperation on climactic and environmental research' isn't a clear explanation as to why we care about those things and why they are important. What societal goal does such cooperation or funding solve? If we have a limited amount of funds to disburse, why is this specific goal worthy of consideration?
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:51 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Blyskalia wrote:It creates a unified base of knowledge for environmental and climate research.

We already do research on the climate and the weather. Meteorological Cooperation viewtopic.php?p=1821884#p1821884. We already solved global warming. Greenhouse Gas Cap and Trade Program viewtopic.php?p=35010138#p35010138. We already do research at the ecosystem level. Researching Unique Ecosystems viewtopic.php?p=26911900#p26911900.

That said... saying that 'it solves a lack of cooperation on climactic and environmental research' isn't a clear explanation as to why we care about those things and why they are important. What societal goal does such cooperation or funding solve? If we have a limited amount of funds to disburse, why is this specific goal worthy of consideration?

Great point, I will try to develop a stronger and more specific purpose to the resolution.

My proposal is the only proposal that prioritizes the compilation of free, public, neatly packaged, and syndicated environmental data. This resolution is also the only one offering suggestions for nations to improve their sustainability and giving nations options regarding sustainable development as a result of the collection of a wide berth of different data. This resolution specifically assists any nation which is unsure of possible sustainability projects or is unsure of environmental policy in an era when environmental policy is more important than ever.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:25 am

How is Meteorological Cooperation not already providing climactic data to the people who want it?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:35 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:How is Meteorological Cooperation not already providing climactic data to the people who want it?

Meteorological Cooperation is providing that information, but SEAS is providing a syndicated dossier of climatic, and most importantly environmental information along with recommendations for sustainable development, it is both an expansion of the scope of Meteorological Cooperation, as well as an entirely new effort towards providing environmental data and doing so on a global scale, which only currently is done in unique ecosystems.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Blyskalia wrote:it is both an expansion of the scope of Meteorological Cooperation, as well as an entirely new effort towards providing environmental data and doing so on a global scale, which only currently is done in unique ecosystems.

How is the WA Development Foundation not already doing this? viewtopic.php?p=12008764#p12008764.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Blyskalia wrote:it is both an expansion of the scope of Meteorological Cooperation, as well as an entirely new effort towards providing environmental data and doing so on a global scale, which only currently is done in unique ecosystems.

How is the WA Development Foundation not already doing this? viewtopic.php?p=12008764#p12008764.

The WA Development Foundation is not conducting environmental and climatic research at the depth nor the scale which SEAS would. The WADF is focused primarily on economic development projects and attracting foreign investment whilst SEAS is focused on preparing reports for member states to directly address matters of environmental and climatic concern, potential areas of improvement, and the efficacy of its current programs. SEAS is also different in that is has the goal of international cooperative research regarding the climate and the environment as a secondary objective, the open and transparent exchange of knowledge is important.
Last edited by Blyskalia on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:32 am

Blyskalia wrote:The WA Development Foundation is not conducting environmental and climatic research at the depth nor the scale which SEAS would. The WADF is focused primarily on economic development projects and attracting foreign investment whilst SEAS is focused on preparing reports for member states to directly address matters of environmental and climatic concern, potential areas of improvement, and the efficacy of its current programs. SEAS is also different in that is has the goal of international cooperative research regarding the climate and the environment as a secondary objective, the open and transparent exchange of knowledge is important.

And the nexus of existing resolutions all do the things you claim your programme would do; at that point, it merely duplicates existing work and wastes limited Assembly funds.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:04 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Blyskalia wrote:The WA Development Foundation is not conducting environmental and climatic research at the depth nor the scale which SEAS would. The WADF is focused primarily on economic development projects and attracting foreign investment whilst SEAS is focused on preparing reports for member states to directly address matters of environmental and climatic concern, potential areas of improvement, and the efficacy of its current programs. SEAS is also different in that is has the goal of international cooperative research regarding the climate and the environment as a secondary objective, the open and transparent exchange of knowledge is important.

And the nexus of existing resolutions all do the things you claim your programme would do; at that point, it merely duplicates existing work and wastes limited Assembly funds.

I understand why you might think that, but I think this is because of a gap between my intentions for the goal of this resolution versus their actual effects. I am trying to write this resolution in such a way that it is a full resolution whose topic has only been given the shortest of breath in other resolutions, I see this as a major problem deserving its own resolution.

Modessia
Secretary

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Modessia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:56 am

Good evening, gentlemen and gentlewomen. I'm new here, so please help me with any mistakes I May make. Based on my knowledge, this looks legal, and Modessia puts our government's full support, for the time being, behind it.
Stylan's in-character roleplaying puppet.

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

Since you re so active in giving good feedback, can I ask you what your specific recommendations might be?

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:25 am

Bumped for feedback

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Blyskalia wrote:Since you re so active in giving good feedback, can I ask you what your specific recommendations might be?

I don't think the idea is a good one. My specific recommendation would be not to pursue it.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:35 am

I am working on more drafting and considering the feedback, I am going to try to focus the resolution on the global monitoring of air quality/pollution. Any feedback on this idea?
Last edited by Blyskalia on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blyskalia
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Blyskalia » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Bumped for feedback

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:58 pm

I don't see anything in this proposal that isn't already covered by the ESWA in Responsible Land Management, in addition to the resolutions IA has mentioned. But the ESWA is already a catch-all for any environmental changes, including those that are caused by sapient inhabitants, including predicting where there will be environmental threats or hazards in the future. That's already published for member nations to use.

I would also wonder if this proposal would be hit by the "committee only" rule, since I'm not sure it passes muster for "more strenuous than simply filing paperwork." Your requirements are to submit information and make it available. What else? No one needs to act on this information, you only wish it to be gathered for trivia purposes. Well, we're already doing that but for actual reasons.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly