NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

[PASSED] Repeal "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc"

Postby Gorundu » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:03 am

Redrafted from: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=473616
Same author, different nation
The World Assembly,

Recognising the efforts made in GA #472, Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc to prevent unnecessary sterilisation of minors;

Asserting that the purpose of independent review can be achieved with individual qualified medical professionals;

Concerned that Institutional Review Boards, as defined by GA#111, are bureaucratic institutions that are not required to be staffed with medical experts and thus serve no real purpose, except wasting the state's resources in setting up and maintaining such institutions;

Worried that requiring the permission of an Independent Review Board could unnecessarily prolong decision making in an emergency or in time-sensitive cases;

Further alarmed that clause two allows the World Assembly Compliance Commission (WACC) to create further regulations on behalf of the World Assembly, without needing to consult the will of the combined member nations;

Convinced that this Assembly should not pass legislation that empowers committees to create secondary legislation, as there is little supervision, if at all, over the actions these committees make;

Confident that regulations to ensure the proper review procedures for the sterilisation of minors can be instituted by further legislation without reducing the relevancy of member nations in the decisions concerning their own future;

Hereby repeals GA#472 "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc".
Last edited by Jakker on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:05 am

ngl quite epic
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:34 am

OOC: Should likely have been "actions ... committees take" instead of make.

Why submitted right away?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 pm

The PRESIDING OFFICER: It being the appropriate hour, the Secretary will redesignate the resolution now pending before the General Assembly.

The GENERAL ASSEMBLY SECRETARY reported the title of the resolution:

Repeal “Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc”, a resolution to repeal Resolution GA#472, proposed by the Avo❤️Avo of Gorundu.

The PRESIDING OFFICER: Voting on this resolution will end in four days.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:21 am

I voted against the proposal due to its non-delegation doctrine argument. If that were not present, I would have voted in favour of the proposal due to the target resolution's redundancy.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Flarmsburg
Attaché

Founded: May 21, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Flarmsburg » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:53 am

So, if this passes does it mean we can sterilize minors for being terrible people?

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Flarmsburg wrote:So, if this passes does it mean we can sterilize minors for being terrible people?

OOC: Presumably, if this passes, it will be quickly replaced by a new resolution to similar effect, possibly with the provisions that the author of this repeal objects to removed.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Barfleur wrote:
Flarmsburg wrote:So, if this passes does it mean we can sterilize minors for being terrible people?

OOC: Presumably, if this passes, it will be quickly replaced by a new resolution to similar effect, possibly with the provisions that the author of this repeal objects to removed.

That won’t be needed, see: 486
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:27 am

Given the existence of 486, we consider the secondary legislation argument sufficient reason to vote in favour of passage of the repeal.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Eluney
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Eluney » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:Given the existence of 486, we consider the secondary legislation argument sufficient reason to vote in favour of passage of the repeal.

Herrera drinks a sip of mineral water, puts down the glass and clears his throat: “We agree with what was said by the previous representative, so this Delegation will vote in favor of this proposal".

Mr. Carlos Alejandro Herrera.
Permanent Representative of the Federal Republic of Eluney to the World Assembly.
The Federal Republic of Eluney
Councillor in Union of Christian Nations
Moral compass: Matthew 25: 31-46
National Factbook Overview:
Posts IC unless marked otherwise.

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:44 am

Gorundu wrote:Redrafted from: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=473616
Same author, different nation
The World Assembly,

Recognising the efforts made in GA #472, Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc to prevent unnecessary sterilisation of minors;

Asserting that the purpose of independent review can be achieved with individual qualified medical professionals;

Concerned that Institutional Review Boards, as defined by GA#111, are bureaucratic institutions that are not required to be staffed with medical experts and thus serve no real purpose, except wasting the state's resources in setting up and maintaining such institutions;

Worried that requiring the permission of an Independent Review Board could unnecessarily prolong decision making in an emergency or in time-sensitive cases;

Further alarmed that clause two allows the World Assembly Compliance Commission (WACC) to create further regulations on behalf of the World Assembly, without needing to consult the will of the combined member nations;

Convinced that this Assembly should not pass legislation that empowers committees to create secondary legislation, as there is little supervision, if at all, over the actions these committees make;

Confident that regulations to ensure the proper review procedures for the sterilisation of minors can be instituted by further legislation without reducing the relevancy of member nations in the decisions concerning their own future;

Hereby repeals GA#472 "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc".

The Untecnan ambassador views the document, and gives a stern look at the writer. "Ambassador, the legislation you are trying to repeal is supported by my nation. No support on this.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Betances
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Betances » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:36 pm

So, this reform is trying to repeal a law which does not sterilizes minors?

In other words... if this legislation passes.... it would be allowing minors to be sterilized?

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Betances wrote:So, this reform is trying to repeal a law which does not sterilizes minors?

In other words... if this legislation passes.... it would be allowing minors to be sterilized?

Which could lead to lower world populations. Children should be able to grow up and reproduce, and not have that choice taken away from them. There should be age limits and consent agreements, but not this.
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:33 pm

Untecna wrote:
Betances wrote:So, this reform is trying to repeal a law which does not sterilizes minors?

Which could lead to lower world populations. Children should be able to grow up and reproduce, and not have that choice taken away from them. There should be age limits and consent agreements, but not this.

"Ambassador, as other delegates have pointed out, GA 486 still exists so no, you won't be able to force sterilization of minors even if this repeal passes."
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Untecna wrote:Which could lead to lower world populations. Children should be able to grow up and reproduce, and not have that choice taken away from them. There should be age limits and consent agreements, but not this.

"Ambassador, as other delegates have pointed out, GA 486 still exists so no, you won't be able to force sterilization of minors even if this repeal passes."

THIS one, regardless of the choice, allows minors to be removed of the right to have chidren.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:59 am

Untecna wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:"Ambassador, as other delegates have pointed out, GA 486 still exists so no, you won't be able to force sterilization of minors even if this repeal passes."

THIS one, regardless of the choice, allows minors to be removed of the right to have chidren.

How?

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Untecna wrote:THIS one, regardless of the choice, allows minors to be removed of the right to have chidren.

How?

Jesus...

Can. You. Read? This proposal is not supported by us because it allows those under the age of adulthood (not sure if it defines that), or minors, to be sterilized, therefore meaning they can, yes, choose to not have children when they get older. It could potentially drop worldwide populations by such a margin that we could see it's effects almost immediately.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:40 am

Untecna wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:How?

Jesus...

Can. You. Read? This proposal is not supported by us because it allows those under the age of adulthood (not sure if it defines that), or minors, to be sterilized, therefore meaning they can, yes, choose to not have children when they get older. It could potentially drop worldwide populations by such a margin that we could see it's effects almost immediately.

OOC: Did. you. read. GA. 486? Why would underage people suddenly decide to have themselves sterilized?
Last edited by Ardiveds on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Bolingbroke
Civilian

Founded: Oct 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolingbroke » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 am

Yes.

Betances
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Betances » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Untecna wrote:

Completely agree. As a growing and new nation, I want to increase my population and be able to have my citizens reproduce as they will.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Betances wrote:
Untecna wrote:Which could lead to lower world populations. Children should be able to grow up and reproduce, and not have that choice taken away from them. There should be age limits and consent agreements, but not this.

Completely agree. As a growing and new nation, I want to increase my population and be able to have my citizens reproduce as they will.

OOCly, your gameside population increases automatically - and there is nothing you can do to decrease your population, make it grow faster or slower (although after about 24 days, when there are 62 million people in your nation, your national population will grow by 5-7 million every day) - while your roleplayed population can be set at will. The World Assembly is not telling you how many people live in your nation :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:25 pm

So this is the secret recipe for a successful repeal, huh? No drafting and just rush to submission?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Wayneactia wrote:So this is the secret recipe for a successful repeal, huh? No drafting and just rush to submission?

OOC: No. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=473616
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

JC Cavs
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby JC Cavs » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Eluney wrote:
Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:Given the existence of 486, we consider the secondary legislation argument sufficient reason to vote in favour of passage of the repeal.

Herrera drinks a sip of mineral water, puts down the glass and clears his throat: “We agree with what was said by the previous representative, so this Delegation will vote in favor of this proposal".

Mr. Carlos Alejandro Herrera.
Permanent Representative of the Federal Republic of Eluney to the World Assembly.

I completely agree with you and vote in favor of the repeal.

Brunalis
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Specific Changes in Repeal

Postby Brunalis » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 pm

[English]
To: The World Assembly

We consider that there should be specific changes in the revocation resolution

We believe that the stelirization review can be achieved with qualified medical professionals but there must also be consent from both the guardians and the person involved.

In a proven emergency, no approval review would be required to avoid unnecessarily prolonging decision-making.

The Government of Brunalis agrees with the rest of the content of the revocation

We hereby support the repeal of GA # 472 "Ban on Sterilization of Minors etc".

Approve, Notify, Communicate in GA Forum, South Pacific Message Board, and News Factbook of our country.

Yours sincerely: Bruno, President of Brunalis.

[Español]
Para: La Asamblea Mundial

Consideramos que debe haber cambios puntuales en la resolución de revocación

Consideramos que la revisión de la esterilización se puede lograr con profesionales médicos calificados pero también debe haber consentimiento tanto de los tutores como del involucrado.

En caso de emergencia probada, no se necesitaría pasar por ninguna revisión de aprobación para no prolongar innecesariamente la toma de decisiones.

El Gobierno de Brunalis está de acuerdo con el resto del contenido de la revocación.

Por la presente apoyamos la derogación de GA#472 "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc".

Apruébese, Notifíquese, Comuníquese en Forum de GA, Tablero de Mensajes del Sur Pacifico, y Factbook de Comunicados de nuestro país.

Atentamente: Bruno, Presidente de Brunalis

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives