NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "GMO International Trade Accord"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 19, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

[PASSED] Repeal "GMO International Trade Accord"

Postby Regnum Italiae » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:25 am

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging that regulation of trade of genetically modified organisms, which General Assembly Resolution #509 “GMO International Trade Accord” tried to address, is an important area of legislation most likely in need of attention from the World Assembly; but

Noting that unclear measures lead to unforeseen consequences which can do more harm than good;

Concerned by many issues, including:

1. The exclusion of genetic modifications obtained through hybridisation or selective breeding as a result of the limited definition of biotechnology, which pose comparable threats to the environment;

2. The resolution’s failure to explicitly require member nations to enforce regulations created by the Committee for the Regulation of Modified Products, allowing for nations to easily dodge compliance of these provisions without penalty;

3. The vagueness of the term ‘reasonable’ that is used so often in regard to safety measures throughout the resolution, especially in sections 3 and 4, as the use of this term allows an excessively ambiguous and free interpretation of what is the best effort possible in the matter of safety. The term reasonable is in fact inherently relative in its definition and this implies that nations can set up measures as they see fit to their contingent situation, without any kind of control, thus making it possible for them to hugely disregard security when profitable;

4. The lack of regulations of intellectual property, thus granting undisciplined privileges to corporations and private institutions, like the possibility to stop outside research or create monopolies, which undermines the resolution's call for improving research and the exchange of information between member nations; and

5. The presence, in section 4, of exemptions to unsterilized plants GMOs, since requirements like “in cases where the environmental benefit [...] clearly outweigh any downsides of their use” are loose enough to let member nations set their own policies without any way to ascertain the truthfulness of their reasons especially since there are no overseeing authorities; and
Concluding that such overlooked flaws completely undermine the effectiveness of the resolution as a whole; hereby

Repeals General Assembly Resolution #509 “GMO International Trade Accord”.

Co-authored by Honeydewistania

Thanks to Imperium Anglorum and Honeydewistania for the inputs, comments and edits

Link to target resolution: https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /council=1

The World Assembly,
Believing the good intentions of General Assembly Resolution #509 “GMO International Trade Accord”,

Acknowledging that regulation of trade of genetically modified organisms is an important goal to achieve which requires special attention and care, but
Noting that unclear measures lead to unforeseen consequences which can do more harm than good,

Concerned by many issues, including:
  • The exclusion of genetic modifications obtained through hybridisation or selective breeding as a result of the limited definition of biotechnology, which pose analogue threats to the environment;
  • The resolution’s failure to explicitly require member nations to enforce regulations created by the Committee for the Regulation of Modified Products, allowing for nations to easily dodge compliance of these provisions without penalty,
  • The vagueness of the term ‘reasonable’ that is used so often in regard of safety measures throughout the resolution, especially in sections 3 and 4, as the use of this term allows an excessively ambiguous and free interpretation of what is the best effort possible in matter of safety;
  • The lack of regulations of intellectual property, thus granting undisciplined privileges to corporations and privates like the possibility to stop outside research or create monopolies; and
  • The presence, in section 4, of exemptions to unsterilized plants GMOs, since requirements like “in cases where the environmental benefit [...] clearly outweigh any downsides of their use” are loose enough to let member nations set their own policies with little to no control from external authorities; and

Concluding that such overlooked flaws completely undermine the effectiveness of the resolution as a whole, hereby
Repeals General Assembly Resolution #509 “GMO International Trade Accord”.
Last edited by Ransium on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:30 am, edited 18 times in total.
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:55 am

General support. A few notes:

1. "Believing the good intentions of [GA]#509?" Does that part of the proposal make grammatical/proper/common/whatever sense? :P
2. Please be consistent with whether you end your clauses with a comma or a semicolon.
3. Do IA or Honeydew seek to be recognised as coauthors in the actual text of this proposal?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Postby Regnum Italiae » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Tinhampton wrote:General support. A few notes:

1. "Believing the good intentions of [GA]#509?" Does that part of the proposal make grammatical/proper/common/whatever sense? :P
2. Please be consistent with whether you end your clauses with a comma or a semicolon.
3. Do IA or Honeydew seek to be recognised as coauthors in the actual text of this proposal?

Edited
I'm waiting for IA response for the coauthorship
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:14 pm

I was offered, but I sort of declined as I didn’t feel I contributed much to the actual text. I only made comments
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:33 pm

Regnum Italiae wrote:

Edited
I'm waiting for IA response for the coauthorship

I mean... why do your list items end in semicolons but your non-list items end in commas? >:P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Regnum Italiae wrote:requirements ... are loose enough to let member nations set their own policies with little to no control from external authorities

OOC: I think that was pretty much the idea.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Support. Some comments:

Regnum Italiae wrote:The exclusion of genetic modifications obtained through hybridisation or selective breeding as a result of the limited definition of biotechnology, which pose analogue threats to the environment;

This was intentional on my part, since I believed selective breeding and hybridization to be different enough from true genetic modification to warrant their own proposal down the line instead of being lumped in with this one.

Regnum Italiae wrote:The resolution’s failure to explicitly require member nations to enforce regulations created by the Committee for the Regulation of Modified Products, allowing for nations to easily dodge compliance of these provisions without penalty;

Fair enough, I suppose. Though this was also very intentional: I distinctly remember Araraukar throwing a fit over my committee enforcing its regulations. That's why I ended up changing it to guidelines. I won't be making this mistake in the future, I can tell you that. :p

Regnum Italiae wrote:The vagueness of the term ‘reasonable’ that is used so often in regard of safety measures throughout the resolution, especially in sections 3 and 4, as the use of this term allows an excessively ambiguous and free interpretation of what is the best effort possible in matter of safety;

Fair.

Regnum Italiae wrote:The lack of regulations of intellectual property, thus granting undisciplined privileges to corporations and privates like the possibility to stop outside research or create monopolies;

I don't really see how intellectual property regulations can't be covered by another resolution. Moreover, I don't see why these regulations should have been lumped in with the rest of the resolution, nor how this is grounds for repeal. IP regulations even in a single field are a complex area that really warrants its own resolution.

Regnum Italiae wrote:The presence, in section 4, of exemptions to unsterilized plants GMOs, since requirements like “in cases where the environmental benefit [...] clearly outweigh any downsides of their use” are loose enough to let member nations set their own policies with little to no control from external authorities;

I remember the GA throwing a collective fit over this same section "forcing member nations to use sterilized seeds" or something equally silly. Now you're complaining that the resolution doesn't force member nations to use sterilized seeds? Outstanding :clap:

On a serious note, I'd revise this portion of the repeal to more clearly express what the problem here is, and to be worded a bit more professionally in general. At least to me, it reads like "This section is bad because it has exceptions to plants being unsterilized, which means that member nations can just set their own policies, meaning that these exceptions aren't actually exceptions, which is the problem."

Additionally, this section was intended to serve as a blocker, and I don't really see a good faith interpretation that allows member nations to ignore the "clearly outweighs" part. Seriously though, didn't I just listen to half the GA chanting that section 4 somehow nefariously forces nations to use sterilized seeds? And now it's being repealed because it doesn't actually do the nefarious thing? :blink:

Overall, not bad, especially for a first proposal. Could definitely use revision and polishing, but not bad!

Edit:

Araraukar wrote:
Regnum Italiae wrote:requirements ... are loose enough to let member nations set their own policies with little to no control from external authorities

OOC: I think that was pretty much the idea.

Correct. It's pretty straightforward as blockers go.
Last edited by Cretox State on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:35 am

Cretox State wrote:Support. Some comments:

Regnum Italiae wrote:The exclusion of genetic modifications obtained through hybridisation or selective breeding as a result of the limited definition of biotechnology, which pose analogue threats to the environment;

This was intentional on my part, since I believed selective breeding and hybridization to be different enough from true genetic modification to warrant their own proposal down the line instead of being lumped in with this one.

I mean, since you already have the committee, why not let it write a few more guidelines on those?
Regnum Italiae wrote:The resolution’s failure to explicitly require member nations to enforce regulations created by the Committee for the Regulation of Modified Products, allowing for nations to easily dodge compliance of these provisions without penalty;

Fair enough, I suppose. Though this was also very intentional: I distinctly remember Araraukar throwing a fit over my committee enforcing its regulations. That's why I ended up changing it to guidelines. I won't be making this mistake in the future, I can tell you that. :p

I think the problem was giving a committee so much power. I’m pretty sure Ara told you to write procedures yourself or something.

I don't really see how intellectual property regulations can't be covered by another resolution. Moreover, I don't see why these regulations should have been lumped in with the rest of the resolution, nor how this is grounds for repeal. IP regulations even in a single field are a complex area that really warrants its own resolution.

I think the author was trying to say that corporations can build monopolies without much regulations at all.

Regnum Italiae wrote:The presence, in section 4, of exemptions to unsterilized plants GMOs, since requirements like “in cases where the environmental benefit [...] clearly outweigh any downsides of their use” are loose enough to let member nations set their own policies with little to no control from external authorities;

I remember the GA throwing a collective fit over this same section "forcing member nations to use sterilized seeds" or something equally silly. Now you're complaining that the resolution doesn't force member nations to use sterilized seeds? Outstanding :clap:

On a serious note, I'd revise this portion of the repeal to more clearly express what the problem here is, and to be worded a bit more professionally in general. At least to me, it reads like "This section is bad because it has exceptions to plants being unsterilized, which means that member nations can just set their own policies, meaning that these exceptions aren't actually exceptions, which is the problem."

Additionally, this section was intended to serve as a blocker, and I don't really see a good faith interpretation that allows member nations to ignore the "clearly outweighs" part. Seriously though, didn't I just listen to half the GA chanting that section 4 somehow nefariously forces nations to use sterilized seeds? And now it's being repealed because it doesn't actually do the nefarious thing? :blink:

Hmm... THIS is the part that could be covered by standalone legislation. Limping a topic like that into one clause with vague regulations is a bad idea.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:46 am

Wtf are "analogue threats to the environment"?
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Postby Regnum Italiae » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:37 am

Bananaistan wrote:Wtf are "analogue threats to the environment"?

analogue
noun [ C ]
formal (US usually analog)
something that is similar to or can be used instead of something else

Re: Cretox
My reasons are the ones Honeydew stated
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

South St Maarten
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 16, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby South St Maarten » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:15 pm

Regnum Italiae wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:Wtf are "analogue threats to the environment"?

analogue
noun [ C ]
formal (US usually analog)
something that is similar to or can be used instead of something else

Re: Cretox
My reasons are the ones Honeydew stated

I'd use a synonym for simplicitiy's sake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former First & Second Deputy Commissioner Of Europe
European Undersecretary For Culture
European Ambassador To The Western Isles
Member Of The European Home & Foreign Offices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of character unless noted otherwise. Any Questions, Comments, or Concerns, feel free to telegram me! :D

Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Postby Regnum Italiae » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 am

South St Maarten wrote:I'd use a synonym for simplicitiy's sake

Fine :/
Anyway I'll edit a bit more later
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:52 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Cretox State wrote:Fair enough, I suppose. Though this was also very intentional: I distinctly remember Araraukar throwing a fit over my committee enforcing its regulations. That's why I ended up changing it to guidelines. I won't be making this mistake in the future, I can tell you that. :p

I think the problem was giving a committee so much power. I’m pretty sure Ara told you to write procedures yourself or something.

OOC: ^This. CS, I objected to you - as I do when others try to do the same - wanting to give the committee the right to write "invisible" regulations/procedures that nations would then have to apply. Invisible in the sense that, not written into the resolution text, people voting for or against the proposal wouldn't really know what they were voting on. If you'd actually taken the trouble to write the procedures into it, it would've been clearer what you envisioned the committee to actually accomplish.

To the author of this repeal, the link to the target: https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /council=1
You might want to post it somewhere in the first post.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Postby Regnum Italiae » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:09 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: ^This. CS, I objected to you - as I do when others try to do the same - wanting to give the committee the right to write "invisible" regulations/procedures that nations would then have to apply. Invisible in the sense that, not written into the resolution text, people voting for or against the proposal wouldn't really know what they were voting on. If you'd actually taken the trouble to write the procedures into it, it would've been clearer what you envisioned the committee to actually accomplish.

To the author of this repeal, the link to the target: https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /council=1
You might want to post it somewhere in the first post.

Thanks
Noted
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 pm

"Who will propose a replacement?"

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:37 pm

I guess I'll have to be Mousebumples' echo: Why do we need one?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:43 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:"Who will propose a replacement?"

Is there a compelling reason for one?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:53 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:"Who will propose a replacement?"

Is there a compelling reason for one?

I don’t care but the proposal says that regulating trade is important so if you mention that you’ll probably want a replacement

Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Postby Regnum Italiae » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:29 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I guess I'll have to be Mousebumples' echo: Why do we need one?

Honeydewistania wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Is there a compelling reason for one?

I don’t care but the proposal says that regulating trade is important so if you mention that you’ll probably want a replacement

I think that regulating affectively GMOs is important enough to be done without flaws compromising it's affectiveness, yet I'm not necessarely implying we must have a replacement.
Also, I think that the author is surely capable to address these flaws if he want to give it another shot
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:23 am

Regnum Italiae wrote:I think that regulating affectively GMOs is important enough to be done without flaws compromising it's affectiveness, yet I'm not necessarely implying we must have a replacement.

OOC: Then you might want to change "is an important goal to achieve which requires special attention and care" to something more like "is an important area of legislation most likely in need of attention from the World Assembly".

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:31 am

Araraukar wrote:
Regnum Italiae wrote:I think that regulating affectively GMOs is important enough to be done without flaws compromising it's affectiveness, yet I'm not necessarely implying we must have a replacement.

OOC: Then you might want to change "is an important goal to achieve which requires special attention and care" to something more like "is an important area of legislation most likely in need of attention from the World Assembly".

I agree

Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Postby Regnum Italiae » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:41 am

Araraukar wrote:

Edited
Thanks for the input
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:44 am

as the use of this term allows an excessively ambiguous and free interpretation of what is the best effort possible in the matter of safety

I’d advise inserting slightly more elaboration on why this is bad e.g. […] in the matter of the safety, defeating the purpose of this resolution

Regnum Italiae
Lobbyist

Postby Regnum Italiae » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:34 am

Honeydewistania wrote:I’d advise inserting slightly more elaboration on why this is bad e.g. […] in the matter of the safety, defeating the purpose of this resolution

Done, along with some minor corrections
Home Secretary of Europe
WA Resolution Author
Generally a quiet guy

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:52 am

since there are no overseeing authorities; and

Minor correction.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives