NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Supporting and Valuing the Humanities"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[PASSED] Repeal "Supporting and Valuing the Humanities"

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:13 pm

The World Assembly finds as follows:

1. Subtle unintended consequences should not be ignored or dismissed just because they are difficult to understand. The target resolution (GA 495) has subtle unintended consequences that need explanation at length.

2. GA 495 establishes a fundamentally broken control mechanism which states that another committee will '[ensure] that money accepted by nations or organisations from the WHF is used for the above established purpose'. It also states that 'if incorrect use of funds is reported, the GAO will cease the allowance of funds to the transgressing nation or organisation' (emphasis not in original). This anti-corruption mechanism creates massive harms. The passive construction of the section 5 suggests that the mere reporting of an incorrect use of funds triggers an embargo on General Accounting Office money. The Office has no explicit statutory authority to reject false or malicious reports. The Assembly supports many projects in member nations: GAO money in GA 263 'Uranium Mining Standards Act' s 8 helps prevent radiological accidents, GAO funds given in GA 97 'Quality in Health Services' support universal healthcare in poor countries, and funds disbursed by GA 80 'A Promotion of Basic Education' ensure that disadvantaged children are educated (including in the humanities).

3. The target embargoes money until a member nation receives a favourable verdict, instead of ordering funds to stop only when a tribunal determines a violation has occurred. The extent of the embargo is also not limited to the specific project which is allegedly corrupt, as the resolution applies to the 'transgressing nation'. An education department buying school supplies with money allocated for building repairs can thus defund health services and schools on the opposite side of a nation.

4. GA 495 also states '[t]he WHF shall exist to provide funding to constituent nations and non profit organisations within them to accomplish either in part or in full the following objectives'. There is no clause requiring that requestors only get money for projects which they could not pay for themselves, suggesting indirect diversion of funds, as nations can purposefully defund their schools, fill holes in the budget with General Fund money, and pocket the difference. Member nations should not be allowed to take Assembly funds dishonestly.

5. The kinds of projects the WHF approves are not limited only to projects which have a primary effect in achieving the goals listed in the resolution. Section 3's 'accomplish either in part or in full' does not put a floor on how little is accomplished, opening the sewer doors to:

1. Building a lazy river for university students to relax on, as the project in part helps to 'strengthen the academic enrichment of courses and create [humanities] electives', if people may paint murals on the walls or a chapel is attached.

2. Organisations sending theology professors from across the country to theme parks, as it in part helps to 'hold nationwide symposiums to put on ... advancements in the various areas of the humanities'.

3. A nation defunding its own humanities departments and shuffling the freed-up money to foreign bank accounts would create a need to 'support university degree programs that fall within the definition of the humanities', a problem at which this committee could then throw money.
  6. '[E]nsuring that money accepted by nations or organisations from the WHF is used for the above established purpose' in section 4(a) does nothing when the money is given for wasteful purposes. The clause seems as if it is supposed to stop nations from taking the money they receive and directly diverting it to other purposes. The clause does not stop indirect diversion as described above.

7. Wasteful spending programs mean less money for food aid, pandemic relief, and basic education. Feel-good resolutions should not be supported when they are coupled with draconian punishments and provisions which leave open massive doors for squandering limited Assembly funds. Nor is it just to deprive member nations – without due process and, at best, on minor irregularities – of what they need to educate, heal, and protect their citizens. Repeal of GA 495 also will cause no substantial harm due to the provisions of GA 80 'A Promotion of Basic Education', which promote the same goals, without the overbearing penalties or the deficient anti-graft mechanisms of the target resolution.
Now, therefore, be GA 495 'Supporting and Valuing the Humanities' repealed.
Last edited by Jakker on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 29 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:14 pm

See also Spending without controls (2020) WA L Rev working paper 2020/01; Interpreting committee provisions (2020) WA L Rev working paper 2020/02 (TNP Symposium version here).

I find it very annoying that the problems with the target resolution are subtle to the point that they are difficult to explain within the word limit. When adapting from my working paper to this proposal, I flew straight to 5300 characters. I'll try to put a shortened explanation for a few concepts here.

Indirect diversion. A how-to:

1. Start by giving 100 million pounds to the humanities programmes at universities
  2. Take away 100 million pounds from the humanities programmes
  3. Get funds for your now-impoverished professors from the WHF, which is not permitted to make determinations on whether your nation has any need for this money
  4. Spend the money for the WHF purposes only on the professors in line with section 4
  5. Put (100 million – what you got from the WHF) into your personal bank account
Does this happen in real life? Yes. Eg Spending without controls (2020) WA L Rev working paper 2020/01, 2 (citing Dambisa Moyo, Dead Aid (2009) 52–3):

[Aid of this sort] release[s] tax receipts that are “then diverted to unproductive and often wasteful programmes rather than productive public expenditure (education, health infrastructure) for which they were ostensibly intended”.

How would the committee interpret the clauses? This question emerges a lot. If you assume the WA committees are not only perfect, but also entirely benevolent, then you might find yourself in the position where you would try to make that work. I would counter with two things. First, the law does what the law says. If a committee could undivert funds or take actions outside what they are permitted to do, the resolution would say so. It does not. Important to note here is that the text of the target does not embargo funds by project. It embargoes funds by nation: "if incorrect use of funds is reported, the GAO will cease the allowance of funds to the transgressing nation or organisation". The text of the target does not give the GAO discretion to reject reports. If it did, it would say so.

Second, even if we throw into the bin the textualist view that the World Assembly has long adopted,

we have held to the convention that there exists some kind of executive in the World Assembly. Regardless of its structure – be it feuding separately headed directories or a single unitary executive under a Secretary-General – turnover at any level would necessarily create different interpretations at different times, in the same way that new leadership in government changes how the government interprets legislation. Interpreting committee provisions (2020) WA L Rev working paper 2020/02, 2–3.

Version at 2020-09-11 20:24 NS time is 4547 characters long.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Does this draft intend to signal that you do not support the queued repeal proposal on which you are presently listed as a co-author?
Last edited by Refuge Isle on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:16 pm

“I believe there was a typing error with regards to the appearance of ‘s 8’ in clause 4. This is regardless a well-argued and persuasive repeal, and I have no other issues with it.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Refuge Isle wrote:Does this draft intend to signal that you do not support the queued repeal proposal on which you are presently listed as a co-author?

I intend to support the queued proposal.

Kenmoria wrote:“I believe there was a typing error with regards to the appearance of ‘s 8’ in clause 4. This is regardless a well-argued and persuasive repeal, and I have no other issues with it.”

Could you clarify?
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“I believe there was a typing error with regards to the appearance of ‘s 8’ in clause 4. This is regardless a well-argued and persuasive repeal, and I have no other issues with it.”

Could you clarify?

(OOC: Looking back, I somehow didn’t recognise ‘s 8’ as being ‘section 8’, and assumed it was just random symbols that had been put into the draft. With that sorted, I can’t see anything wrong with the current draft.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:39 am

Are you willing to attempt an in-character argument in favor of your proposal?
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:01 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Building a lazy river for university students to relax on counts

"...we should petition the Building Management to build one for the ambassadors here. That sounds very relaxing. Oh and support for the repeal."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Bump. Pope, Wondress, and I also are working on a replacement which addresses the identified flaws.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:56 am

This is at vote and has been for an amazing 28 hours without getting a reply here. :blink:

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:58 am

Refuge Isle wrote:This is at vote and has been for an amazing 28 hours without getting a reply here. :blink:

Smh broke the streak
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:09 am

We support the repeal and encourage the Empire of the Angles to not put forth any replacement resolution.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Republica JIM
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica JIM » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 am

Republica JIM apoya la derogacion!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives