NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Repeal GA 508 "Restrictions on Forced Eugenics"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Acronis
Civil Servant

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Repeal GA 508 "Restrictions on Forced Eugenics"

Postby Acronis » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:21 pm

OOC: This is the first time I've posted a draft for a WA resolution. I see that there was another repeal for the same resolution posted last week. It's my understanding that it has now been abandoned, but it isn't my intention to step on any toes. I'm happy to withdraw if that would be appropriate. I welcome any comments/suggestions.

------

The World Assembly,

Respecting the intention behind General Assembly Resolution #508, “Restrictions on Forced Eugenics,” to outlaw the mandate of genetic modification of children before birth without the informed consent of guardians;

Condemning without equivocation the act of forced eugenics;

Concerned that the resolution provides an exception on the incentivising of eugenics to allow for “incentivising the remedy or elimination of disorders, disabilities, or diseases” without delimiting what may be considered a disorder, disability, or disease;

Holding that without such definitions, the resolution creates a loophole in which governments seeking to circumvent the resolution could use the explanation of “disorder” or “disability” to justify the incentivization of the modification of nearly any trait or factor based in genetics;

Further concerned that the resolution provides no legal recourse regarding a situation in which legal guardians give consent of their own volition to genetic modification that would otherwise be illegal, effectively giving permission to legal guardians to genetically modify their own children for any reason;

Believing that such loopholes significantly weaken the resolution’s power to effectively prevent what it was written to do;

Maintaining that any gap in legislation dealing with the issue of eugenics, and thereby issues that follow from eugenics such as genocide, stands to endanger entire ethnic groups, cultures, or nations and that as such, legislation in this area should be as all-encompassing and as capable to withstand legal challenge as possible;

Acknowledging that to address the topic of forced eugenics properly, this resolution must be repealed so that future legislation may be enacted to address its shortcomings;

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution #508, “Restrictions on Forced Eugenics”
Last edited by Acronis on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some guy from The East Pacific

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:05 pm

Concerned that the resolution provides an exception on the incentivising of eugenics to allow for “incentivising the remedy or elimination of disorders, disabilities, or diseases” without delimiting what may be considered a disorder, disability, or disease;

"Open a dictionary, ambassador."

Holding that without such definitions, the resolution creates a loophole in which governments seeking to circumvent the resolution could use the explanation of “disorder” or “disability” to justify the incentivization of the modification of nearly any trait or factor based in genetics;

"The existance of a clear definition of both those terms and the existance of the good faith clause in GA 002 means declaring random genetics traits as “disorder” or “disability” would be a violation of GA 002."

Further concerned that the resolution provides no legal recourse regarding a situation in which legal guardians give consent of their own volition to genetic modification that would otherwise be illegal, effectively giving permission to legal guardians to genetically modify their own children for any reason;

"The resolution was specifially targetted at governments trying to force genetic modification down its citizens' throats using incentives. Also, 'I can't do X without your consent or force you to consent to X' doesn't equal 'I can't stop you from doing X.'"

Believing that such loopholes significantly weaken the resolution’s power to effectively prevent what it was written to do;

Maintaining that any gap in legislation dealing with the issue of eugenics, and thereby issues that follow from eugenics such as genocide, stands to endanger entire ethnic groups, cultures, or nations and that as such, legislation in this area should be as all-encompassing and as capable to withstand legal challenge as possible;

"An all-encompassing ban on human genetic modification would proably ban things like gene therapy so..."
Last edited by Ardiveds on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Return to General Assembly