NATION

PASSWORD

[SUB'D] Repeal "Marine Protection Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[SUB'D] Repeal "Marine Protection Act"

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:33 pm

The World Assembly finds as follows:

1. Resolutions may not be amended, but may be repealed and resubmitted with modifications. Repeals, therefore, are the only way to correct errors.

2. GA 510 "Marine Protection Act" would have the World Assembly create environmental regulations for international waters over which it has no enforcement mechanism or exclusive jurisdiction. GA 2 "Rights and Duties of WA States" prohibits the World Assembly from legislating into existence a police force that would enforce such policies, including marine police or deputisation of member nation naval forces.

3. It is foolish for the Assembly to create regulations over areas it does not and cannot control. Nor would it be wise to place enforcement of international law into the hands of vigilante nations acting without the authorisation of the international legislature. Without any coordinated economic or forceful response to such violations, any such regulations serve mostly to displace member nation activities in regulated areas while giving a wide berth for non-member nations to continue their exploitative practices unimpeded. This is for two reasons:

1. Violations by member nations or persons within member nations can be addressed either by public action or private injunction under GA 440 "Administrative Compliance Act". Therefore, there is indirect enforcement or inducement of enforcement over ships registered in member nations.

2. On the other hand, non-member nations could simply sail in to places under World Assembly protection and destroy them without falling under any effective enforcement, making a dead letter of Assembly marine regulations.
  4. Moreover, the meaning of "regulations" in section 1 of GA 510 "Marine Protection Act" is profoundly unclear: no tests or guidance are provided as to the meaning of a "reasonable restriction". Restrictions banning most forms of economic activity or even visitation could be held as reasonable for the goal of protecting marine life, just as restrictions which fail to prohibit destructive economic activities could also be held as reasonable on the basis of reducing food insecurity for local fishermen. The actual effect of such regulations is highly dependent on the Assembly's executive or bureaucratic apparatuses, which could be subject to regional or corporate influence.

5. Clearer standards than "reasonable" are necessary on this topic. Moreover, the Assembly broadly ought to refrain from passing resolutions which heavily rely on reasonableness tests without clear and legislatively-defined standards with which reasonableness can be determined. In that vein, the sense of the Assembly is that resolutions which rely so heavily on such nebulous standards ought to be repealed.
Now, therefore, be GA 510 "Marine Protection Act" repealed.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Target in Rexis. viewtopic.php?p=37827862#p37827862
Target discussion thread. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=488107.
"Just saying ‘reasonable’ is not a standard". https://imperiumanglorum.wordpress.com/ ... -standard/

[*]Strangely, there is no explicit requirement in the target resolution requiring member nations to enforce regulations created by the Committee for the Preservation of Marine Environments. Nor does the resolution state explicitly to whom such regulations apply. Both of these omissions create difficulties in clearly establishing the legal basis on which the resolution attempts to protect marine sanctuaries.

The World Assembly finds as follows:

1. Resolutions may not be amended, but may be repealed and resubmitted with modifications. Repeals, therefore, are the only way to correct errors.

2. GA 510 "Marine Protection Act" would have the World Assembly create environmental regulations over international waters indirectly. GA 2 "Rights and Duties of WA States" prohibits the World Assembly from legislating into existence a police force that would enforce such policies, regardless of their jurisdiction. This includes marine police that could do things such as fight piracy on the open seas or enforce these regulations. Nor does GA 2 permit the World Assembly to deputise member nation naval forces to execute this function on its behalf.

3. It is foolish for the Assembly to create regulations over areas it does not and cannot control. Nor would it be wise to place enforcement of international law into the hands of vigilante nations acting without the authorisation of the international legislature. Without any coordinated economic or forceful response to such violations, any such regulations serve mostly to displace member nation activities in regulated areas, while giving a wide berth for non-member nations to continue their exploitative practices unimpeded.

4. The definition of "regulations" in section 1 of GA 510 "Marine Protection Act" is profoundly unclear: no tests or guidance are provided as to the meaning of a "reasonable restriction". Restrictions banning most forms of economic activity or even visitation could be held as reasonable for the goal of protecting the area, just as restrictions which fail to prohibit destructive economic activities could also be held as reasonable on the basis of reducing poverty for local fishermen.

5. Clearer standards than "reasonable" are necessary on this topic. Moreover, the Assembly broadly ought to refrain from passing resolutions which heavily rely on reasonableness tests without clear and legislatively-defined standards with which reasonableness can be determined. The sense of the Assembly also is that resolutions which rely so heavily on such nebulous standards ought to be repealed.
Now, therefore, be GA 510 "Marine Protection Act" repealed.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:22 am

Support. The World Assembly should not (go about/have gone about) enforcing its laws in territories that it does not technically control.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

North American Imperial State
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:26 am

Tinhampton wrote:Support. The World Assembly should not (go about/have gone about) enforcing its laws in territories that it does not technically control.

OOC: Sounds like the EU right now

IC: I can get behind this Repeal, as Tin pointed out the WA should not enforce what it does not control.
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:31 am

“I think you are missing the word ‘do’ before ‘things’ in clause 2. Nevertheless, this repeal has my full support.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

New Carthagea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Carthagea » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:34 am

We wholeheartedly support this repeal. The WA should have no authority to implement such influential laws in areas outside of its sovereign jurisdiction.
The Phoenician Kingdom of New Carthagea
Brief Overview | ♛ Government | ♖ People
The Father Has Come:  The Pope has started his 5 day visit to New Carthagea today in Phoenicia. He will meet HM The King later this day, and will address the joint session of the Parliament.
America Leaves Egypt! In a surprising turn of events, US President Biden has announced that he will be ordering the retreat of all American troops from American-occupied Egypt, says will work towards restoration of democracy.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:57 am

OOC: Not a huge fan of the court verdict format, but very much for the repeal in general.

IC: "Support. I won't needlessly echo the words of those who have already spoken in support, here, so will instead add the words of agreement that regulations, which, when they are meant to restrict the activities of member nations and their citizens whether at home or abroad, should definitely be clearly specified by resolutions, not left up in the air as some vague to-do list to be sorted out later."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Bad resolution, good repeal. Absolute support
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:15 pm

"We're hoping someone would write up a repeal for this travesty. Full support."
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 am

Bump. I submitted because I don't want the GA activity chain to break.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:53 pm

Why did I get three telegrams from you about this?
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:10 pm

Haganham wrote:Why did I get three telegrams from you about this?

Three campaign telegrams have been sent out in the past few hours: one for this by IA, one for Repeal "Elections and Assistance Act" by Hulldom, and one for Commend Kyorgia by Toerana. (One was sent out at 3am BST today for Condemn Thaecia by New Burnet.)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:10 pm

It's possible that I accidentally sent you three telegrams while I was debugging my telegram client. I've been doing a test for a (mostly) rewritten version of Communique, my telegram client. My apologies about the telegrams, if they were sent in triplicate.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Gonswanza
Senator

Founded: Aug 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gonswanza » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:18 pm

"This has my support, as stated before, this only grants WA the authority to enforce laws which are far too vague to be enforced properly, while also enabling them to act on behalf of member nations in international waters rather than allowing the member nations to come to terms as they wish and try to get in line within their own territorial waters. Hence, at any moment, WA can easily stop world trade for member nations and claim in defense that it was in the best interests of the environment, while also scrambling to get a fleet from the member nations to enforce this policy... Which won't go over well with anyone."
Praise our glorious leader Laura Ortiz!
Yea, I sell things. Lots of things. KTO Member!
[GNN] Check [hyperlink blocked] for further instructions or [frequency blocked]. /// Finland holds off Russian advance, Baltic sea turned into a "bathtub from hell". /// Strange signals from space, likely a dysfunctional probe /// New body armor rolling off the line, onto Gonswanzan soldiers /// Canada declares war against the US after a bloody coup. /// Japan deploys infantry to Korea, post-unification.

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

It's possible that I accidentally sent you three telegrams while I was debugging my telegram client. I've been doing a test for a (mostly) rewritten version of Communique, my telegram client. My apologies about the telegrams, if they were sent in triplicate.

ah, that would also explain why the couriers were all identical. -.-
Last edited by Haganham on Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:17 am

THIS SHOULD BE RESUBMITTED

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED that this failed to make quorum and FIRMLY BELIEVE that every World Assembly nation deserves to vote on the future of one of the most bureaucratic and overreaching resolutions on the books!!!

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Tinhampton wrote:THIS SHOULD BE RESUBMITTED

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED that this failed to make quorum and FIRMLY BELIEVE that every World Assembly nation deserves to vote on the future of one of the most bureaucratic and overreaching resolutions on the books!!!

For gods sake. You, yourself are the queen of minutiae and complain about bureaucracy?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly