NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Preventing Unprovoked Use of WMDs

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:18 pm

Draft of final clause is out, I need some help with wording.
Save yourself the trouble and call me NCE.
My views and actions do not reflect those of my respective regions unless I specifically state otherwise.
Former Executive Director of Founderless
Kannap: It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers
Zizou: like every time i look at lenin's picture i start thinking about onions
Senkaku: with respect, please shut the fuck up about norway

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:45 pm

So now it's just a weregild for using the weapons of mass destruction. Why would such a thing not heavily favour industrialised and rich countries in dealing harshly (perhaps an understatement) with poorer nations' populations?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:45 pm

"Ambassador, do you realise that payment clause could either be impossible to fulfill or a trivial payment depending on the relative size and wealth of the two nations? For instance, a multi-system empire can nuke the largest city of a information age nation and basically ignore this because the cost of a single city worth of damage is pocket change for a nation controlling multiple planets, each with dozens of cities and yet the lives lost can't possibly be repaid."
Last edited by Ardiveds on Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 am

OOC: So I need to think of another way.
My views and actions do not reflect those of my respective regions unless I specifically state otherwise.
Kannap: It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:05 am

The New Cordian Empire wrote:OOC: So I need to think of another way.

OOC: what was wrong with the previous way?... you know, you nuke first, everybody can nuke u first.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 pm

Ardiveds wrote:
The New Cordian Empire wrote:OOC: So I need to think of another way.

OOC: what was wrong with the previous way?... you know, you nuke first, everybody can nuke u first.

OOC: I felt like it needed some teeth. The previous way did that, sure, but there was no punishment for nuking unprovoked, so, as long as you destroy the enemy nation in the first volley, you’re fine and can’t be harmed (the original way)

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:18 pm

The New Cordian Empire wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: what was wrong with the previous way?... you know, you nuke first, everybody can nuke u first.

OOC: I felt like it needed some teeth. The previous way did that, sure, but there was no punishment for nuking unprovoked, so, as long as you destroy the enemy nation in the first volley, you’re fine and can’t be harmed (the original way)

OOC: I dunno about that. Not only will they face the standard sanctions and stuff for violating clause 1, they'll have giant target on their back for any WA nation to nuke them without any repercussions. The only issue I can think of is that there is no time limit for this. I guess you could mandate something like they will be back under protection if they don't use any nukes for like ten years or something after the the unprovoked attack. The best option obviously would've been forcing a nuclear disarmament but I dount that's legal under NAPA.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:42 pm

New idea. How is it? (shameless bump)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:50 pm

“What’s clause 2-2 intended to represent in terms of a mandate? The protections of the proposal only apply in event of WMD warfare, so you appear to be saying the protections of the legislation don’t apply until someone does something that causes the protections to be used.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 am

The New Cordian Empire wrote:[align=center]
[*]That any nation found to be in violation of this resolution by the WACC shall no longer be subject to the protections of this resolution until a nation attempts to use WMDs against it.

OOC: So basically, they're no longer under this resolution's protection until they need the protection again? Isn't this like locking up a man for murder until he wishes to be free?
Last edited by Ardiveds on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm

OOC: I'm thinking of eliminating clause 2.2. What the proposal needs is something to enforce it. The WACC can introduce damaging sanctions and such for the violation of a WA resolution. When Cretox said they didn't like the concept, one of their problems was that it was the policy most commonly used by nations anyway. The point of this draft is to make policy law, and the WACC has the tools to enforce it well. Provided that nobody rips up this draft in the next two weeks, which is extremely unlikely, my plan is to submit on the 23rd.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:32 pm

*calls out into the inactivity void* Plan is to submit on Tuesday unless anyone has a problem with this draft.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Proposed rewrite (plz do not credit Tinhampton as co-author thx):
The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of weapons of mass destruction to attack other nations can lead to high levels of death and destruction in those nations,

Noting that many often unsavory nations have proven complicit in using such weapons arbitrarily, and

Realizing that many wars could be avoided should this practice be banned by international law, within the restrictions of previously passed and still extant resolutions, hereby:

1. Defines "weapons of mass destruction" as weapons that are capable of causing massive structural damage or large-scale loss of life; and
  2. Declares that no member state may use weapons of mass destruction against another member state, without evidence that the other member had recently used (or intends to use in the near future) such weapons against that nation or an allied nation.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:15 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Proposed rewrite (plz do not credit Tinhampton as co-author thx):
The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of weapons of mass destruction to attack other nations can lead to high levels of death and destruction in those nations,

Noting that many often unsavory nations have proven complicit in using such weapons arbitrarily, and

Realizing that many wars could be avoided should this practice be banned by international law, within the restrictions of previously passed and still extant resolutions, hereby:

1. Defines "weapons of mass destruction" as weapons that are capable of causing massive structural damage or large-scale loss of life; and
  2. Declares that no member state may use weapons of mass destruction against another member state, without evidence that the other member had recently used (or intends to use in the near future) such weapons against that nation or an allied nation.

Thx, will edit soon.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Edited, planning to submit around 7:30-8:00 US West time on Tuesday.

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Preventing Unprovoked Use of Weapons of Mass Destruction
Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Significant

The World Assembly,

Is the leader of a nation threatening to use nuclear weapons at a political rally considered sufficient evidence to justify another member state preemptively firing a nuclear warhead at the first?

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:41 pm

This has definitely come a long way since the first draft!

I personally can’t support this, however, simply because I find the premise more than a bit silly. Let’s say a member nation uses a nuclear weapon in contravention of this resolution. What, exactly, is the WACC going to do? Sanction an apocalyptic wasteland?

You could say that WMDs are not limited to nuclear weapons, and I agree with that. However, this makes some more problems apparent. The proposal defines WMDs as such:
Defines "weapons of mass destruction" as weapons that are capable of causing massive structural damage or large-scale loss of life;

What, exactly, qualifies a weapon as “capable of causing massive structural damage or large-scale loss of life”? Let’s say I detonate a small-yield explosive in a cavern, causing it to collapse and bury 10,000 people. Does that explosive qualify as a WMD? Any old rifle is “capable” of causing large-scale loss of life with enough reloading. Does this proposal ban the preemptive use of guns? How about swords? Is this proposal intended to prevent war?

Additionally, what constitutes “evidence”?
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 am

Cretox State wrote:This has definitely come a long way since the first draft!

I personally can’t support this, however, simply because I find the premise more than a bit silly. Let’s say a member nation uses a nuclear weapon in contravention of this resolution. What, exactly, is the WACC going to do? Sanction an apocalyptic wasteland?

You could say that WMDs are not limited to nuclear weapons, and I agree with that. However, this makes some more problems apparent. The proposal defines WMDs as such:
Defines "weapons of mass destruction" as weapons that are capable of causing massive structural damage or large-scale loss of life;

What, exactly, qualifies a weapon as “capable of causing massive structural damage or large-scale loss of life”? Let’s say I detonate a small-yield explosive in a cavern, causing it to collapse and bury 10,000 people. Does that explosive qualify as a WMD? Any old rifle is “capable” of causing large-scale loss of life with enough reloading. Does this proposal ban the preemptive use of guns? How about swords? Is this proposal intended to prevent war?

Additionally, what constitutes “evidence”?

I will add the following to the text of the “Defines” clause: “To the nations affected by the use of the weapon.” That way, if the 10000 people belong to a small nation, the resolution would come into affect, but if they were from a very large country, it would have no effect. I will also work on adding a part to address the “old rifle problem”. Evidence means enough evidence to convince the gnomes at the WACC.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Alright, I've addressed most, if not all, of Cretox's concerns. Planning to submit tomorrow morning.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:14 am

OOC: A "series of strikes" doesn't sound like "a single use". If you drop enough anti-personnel explosives on a city in a series of strikes, you're going to kill enough people and cause enough damage for them to collectively count as WMD, but few would think classifying a regular hand grenade as a WMD would make any sense.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:23 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: A "series of strikes" doesn't sound like "a single use". If you drop enough anti-personnel explosives on a city in a series of strikes, you're going to kill enough people and cause enough damage for them to collectively count as WMD, but few would think classifying a regular hand grenade as a WMD would make any sense.

OOC: Carpet bombing and other such practices make complete sense in WMD legislation. Think: The US' carpet and firebombing of Japan caused more death than both nuclear bombs combined.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:36 am

The New Cordian Empire wrote:OOC: Carpet bombing and other such practices make complete sense in WMD legislation. Think: The US' carpet and firebombing of Japan caused more death than both nuclear bombs combined.

OOC: Was literally thinking of the firebombing of Japan when I wrote what I wrote. And I repeat that calling a single firebomb of that type a Weapon of Mass Destruction would make no sense whatsoever. You should pull the submission and work on that issue.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:32 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: A "series of strikes" doesn't sound like "a single use". If you drop enough anti-personnel explosives on a city in a series of strikes, you're going to kill enough people and cause enough damage for them to collectively count as WMD, but few would think classifying a regular hand grenade as a WMD would make any sense.

OOC: Carpet bombing and other such practices make complete sense in WMD legislation. Think: The US' carpet and firebombing of Japan caused more death than both nuclear bombs combined.

OOC: An assault rifle can potentially cause more deaths than both nuclear bombs. If you take multiple small weapons as one WMD then all the guns used by the wehrmacht throughout the war was one giant WMD.
Last edited by Ardiveds on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:31 am

Araraukar wrote:
The New Cordian Empire wrote:OOC: Carpet bombing and other such practices make complete sense in WMD legislation. Think: The US' carpet and firebombing of Japan caused more death than both nuclear bombs combined.

OOC: Was literally thinking of the firebombing of Japan when I wrote what I wrote. And I repeat that calling a single firebomb of that type a Weapon of Mass Destruction would make no sense whatsoever. You should pull the submission and work on that issue.

OOC: I see. Pulling and changing the text. It doesn’t have any apps yet anyway.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:54 am

Ardiveds wrote:

OOC: An assault rifle can potentially cause more deaths than both nuclear bombs. If you take multiple small weapons as one WMD then all the guns used by the wehrmacht throughout the war was one giant WMD.

OOC: Made an edit to nullify that, thank you for your input.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly