NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Preventing Unprovoked Use of WMDs

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:37 am

Qhevak wrote:"Aside from the impact on advanced starfaring nations such as us, who wage war at a scale where even mass carpet nuking is a tactical tool, this would keep nukes from being used in response to attacks from biological, chemical and radiological weapons, as well as conventional attacks with similar effects such as mass firebombing.

It would also effectively remove one of the primary reasons to have nuclear warheads, that is allowing smaller nations to have a credible deterrent against larger ones. We cannot support the resolution as is and would leave the WA were it passed."

“I will work on edits according to your first paragraph. As for the second, I see your point, but this proposal seeks to prevent the initiation of a nuclear war, which would be far more destructive than a conventional war. If we do allow unprovoked attacks with nukes anyhow, those large nations, likely nuclear-capable, would be able to launch strikes against smaller nations. I hope that you reconsider.”
Last edited by The New Cordian Empire on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save yourself the trouble and call me NCE.
My views and actions do not reflect those of my respective regions unless I specifically state otherwise.
Former Executive Director of Founderless
Kannap: It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers
Zizou: like every time i look at lenin's picture i start thinking about onions
Senkaku: with respect, please shut the fuck up about norway

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:02 pm

“Opposed. This proposal is too easy to circumvent.”
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Godular wrote:“Opposed. This proposal is too easy to circumvent.”

“Could you give a reason/way for this to happen?
My views and actions do not reflect those of my respective regions unless I specifically state otherwise.
Kannap: It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:09 pm

New draft up. This current version affects all weapons of mass destruction without changing the base layout, hopefully the definition is up to the task. Let's get some more edits in!

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:19 am

"If we're reading this right, if a nation is so big and technologically advanced that what a information age nation would call a WMD is basically a regular weapon to them, those WMDs-but-not-WMDs are exempted from the mandates of this proposal for those advanced nations?"
OOC: Sorry if this entire question was a bit... poorly constructed.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:14 pm

A WMD is a weapon which is not X and does Y. And also it is X that does Y. Just drop the X and go with Y.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:52 pm

The New Cordian Empire wrote:The reason that this act prohibits "first srike" nuclear doctrine and not all nukes is that non-member states will not have to comply with this resolution the single most unrepealable resolution in history guarantees all member nations' possession of nuclear weapons.

OOC: FTFY :p
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:A WMD is a weapon which is not X and does Y. And also it is X that does Y. Just drop the X and go with Y.

My concern, and the reason I made that so complicated, is that with just a Y, as you suggest, it would be possible for normal weapons, such as machine guns or rifles, to fall under this legislation. I'm not well-versed in this, so help would be welcome, and please address that concern.

Ardiveds wrote:"If we're reading this right, if a nation is so big and technologically advanced that what a information age nation would call a WMD is basically a regular weapon to them, those WMDs-but-not-WMDs are exempted from the mandates of this proposal for those advanced nations?"

My interpretation is that it depends on the nation that the WMDs-but-supposedly-not-WMDs were to be used against.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
The New Cordian Empire wrote:The reason that this act prohibits "first srike" nuclear doctrine and not all nukes is that non-member states will not have to comply with this resolution the single most unrepealable resolution in history guarantees all member nations' possession of nuclear weapons.

OOC: FTFY :p

OOC: :clap:

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:10 pm

The New Cordian Empire wrote:bump (hope that's politically correct)

Time for another.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:08 pm

OOC: These never pass. Trust me - I’ve tried.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Comfed wrote:OOC: These never pass. Trust me - I’ve tried.

OOC: Well, we need to at least try.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:54 pm

The New Cordian Empire wrote:

OOC: It has been tried and failed.

Also, the latter subclause of the mandates bit is unnecessary, as there already are committees that deal with noncompliance. Your first mandate makes it so that anyone not obeying the mandate has to deal with the WA administration to address it.

Oh and the definition of a WMD could easily be rewritten as "A weapon of mass destruction, or WMD as an unconventional a weapon capable of causing massive structural damage and/or loss of human life, or a conventional weapon, used against civilians, that accomplishes the same." Not all inhabitants of member nations are human, and there's no need to specify both unconventional and conventional weapons, if their effect is the deciding factor.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Araraukar wrote:
The New Cordian Empire wrote:OOC: Well, we need to at least try.

OOC: It has been tried and failed.

Also, the latter subclause of the mandates bit is unnecessary, as there already are committees that deal with noncompliance. Your first mandate makes it so that anyone not obeying the mandate has to deal with the WA administration to address it.

Oh and the definition of a WMD could easily be rewritten as "A weapon of mass destruction, or WMD as an unconventional a weapon capable of causing massive structural damage and/or loss of human life, or a conventional weapon, used against civilians, that accomplishes the same." Not all inhabitants of member nations are human, and there's no need to specify both unconventional and conventional weapons, if their effect is the deciding factor.

Thank you. Edits implemented.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:20 pm

Preventing Unprovoked Use of Weapons of Mass Destruction
Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Significant

The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of weapons of mass destruction to attack other nations can cause extreme amounts of destruction and loss of life within that nation.

Noting that many often unsavory nations permit themselves to use such weapons unprovoked.

Realizing that many wars could be avoided should this practice be banned by international law, hereby:

• Defines:
    • A weapon of mass destruction, or WMD as a weapon capable of causing massive structural damage and/or loss of life.
    • An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of WMDs against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use in the near future or had recently used weapons of mass destruction against that nation or an allied nation
  • Mandates:
    • That no member state shall, unprovoked, use WMDs against another member state.

Preventing Unprovoked Use of Nuclear Weapons

The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of nuclear weapons can cause extreme amounts of destruction.

Noting that many often unsavory nations permit themselves to use such weapons unprovoked.

Realizing that many wars could be avoided should this practice be banned by international law, hereby:

• Defines:
    • A nuclear weapon as any object that uses nuclear fusion or fission in a way that allows it to cause mass destruction through purposeful use.
    • An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of nuclear weapons against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use in the near future or had recently used nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction against that nation or an allied nation.
  • Mandates:
    • That no member state shall, unprovoked, use nuclear weapons against another member state.
    • That a World Assembly Nuclear Investigation Committee, or WANIC, be formed to investigate uses of nuclear weapons by member states that have a significant possibility of violating this act.

Minor quibble here, but if the title of the thread is what you intend to do, why not also include provisions which would prevent the use of biological, chemical, and radiological weapons?
Last edited by Starblaydia on Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing the thread - [list] and [spoiler] tags broke it
Then save me, or the passed day will shine…

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Boston Castle wrote:
Preventing Unprovoked Use of Weapons of Mass Destruction

The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of weapons of mass destruction to attack other nations can cause extreme amounts of destruction and loss of life within that nation.

• Defines:
    • A weapon of mass destruction, or WMD as a weapon capable of causing massive structural damage and/or loss of life.
    • An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of WMDs against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use in the near future or had recently used weapons of mass destruction against that nation or an allied nation
  • Mandates:
    • That no member state shall, unprovoked, use WMDs against another member state.

Preventing Unprovoked Use of Nuclear Weapons

The World Assembly,

Understanding that the use of nuclear weapons can cause extreme amounts of destruction.

• Defines:
    • A nuclear weapon as any object that uses nuclear fusion or fission in a way that allows it to cause mass destruction through purposeful use.
    • An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of nuclear weapons against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use in the near future or had recently used nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction against that nation or an allied nation.
  • Mandates:
    • That no member state shall, unprovoked, use nuclear weapons against another member state.
    • That a World Assembly Nuclear Investigation Committee, or WANIC, be formed to investigate uses of nuclear weapons by member states that have a significant possibility of violating this act.

Minor quibble here, but if the title of the thread is what you intend to do, why not also include provisions which would prevent the use of biological, chemical, and radiological weapons?

(OOC: Biological and chemical weapons have both already been addressed by extant law, so it would be either contradiction or duplication for the author to address them here.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Biological and chemical weapons have both already been addressed by extant law, so it would be either contradiction or duplication for the author to address them here.)

Ah, was not aware of that.
Then save me, or the passed day will shine…

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:05 pm

It's illegal as written.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:19 am

Wayneactia wrote:It's illegal as written.

OOC: In what way? Chemical weapons are allowed to be used defensively only, that's hardly an unprovoked use. NAPA lets member nations OWN nukes, it says nothing about using them. The category is correct. The strength appears correct. What exactly is the illegality that you see?

The only thing I can even imagine being slightly contradictory, is the chance of the unprovoked definition and the mandate to be read so as to allow, when provoked, the use of bioweapons, which have been banned entirely. Author, to avoid the contradiction, just put in "within the restrictions of previously passed and still extant resolutions" before the word "hereby", and you're good with that issue.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:36 pm

Araraukar wrote:

OOC: In what way? Chemical weapons are allowed to be used defensively only, that's hardly an unprovoked use. NAPA lets member nations OWN nukes, it says nothing about using them. The category is correct. The strength appears correct. What exactly is the illegality that you see?

The only thing I can even imagine being slightly contradictory, is the chance of the unprovoked definition and the mandate to be read so as to allow, when provoked, the use of bioweapons, which have been banned entirely. Author, to avoid the contradiction, just put in "within the restrictions of previously passed and still extant resolutions" before the word "hereby", and you're good with that issue.

OOC: Thank you. Edits will be made shortly.
Last edited by The New Cordian Empire on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:

OOC: Which resolution banned bioweapons? The only one I could find is GA 65 but that one's already repealed.
Last edited by Ardiveds on Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Willingdon and Jevington
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Willingdon and Jevington » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:27 am

What is defined as provoking another nation? Sending an angry letter? Drone strikes? What’s the bar here. If it isn’t defined well enough any nation could easily claim to be provoked and unleash nuclear weapons

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:17 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Araraukar wrote:

OOC: Which resolution banned bioweapons? The only one I could find is GA 65 but that one's already repealed.

OOC: 242.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

The New Cordian Empire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Cordian Empire » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:30 am

• An unprovoked use of such weapons as a use of WMDs against a nation without evidence that said nation intended to use in the near future or had recently used weapons of mass destruction against that nation or an allied nation.

Willingdon and Jevington wrote:What is defined as provoking another nation? Sending an angry letter? Drone strikes? What’s the bar here. If it isn’t defined well enough any nation could easily claim to be provoked and unleash nuclear weapons

The definition is in there. Did you actually READ, or just glance at it, or just skim it? Provoking another nation is not explicitly defined, as this prevents the UNPROVOKED use of WMDs. And no, nations cannot easily claim to be provoked without this definition as you say. They must have concrete proof of the above.
Last edited by The New Cordian Empire on Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:44 am

Evidence seems too high of a standard here, if a nation nuked somebody in the past it justifies suspicion that they will use it against you, but isn't by itself an evidence of their intention to do that. Similarly if the nation is known for wiping its butt with GA resolutions on warfare. This is not enough to be called evidence.

If their leader said "X WILL PERISH IN THE NUCLEAR FIRE", if your intel caught a transmission saying that they plan to attack, that would be evidence.

I would suggest changing the evidence requirement, into something else. A justifiable suspicion? Maybe that would work, though it is a tad vague what "justifies" the suspicion. Then again, evidence of intention also has vagueness to it.

Edit: I don't believe that a ban on the usage of WMDs in certain situation contradicts the existing ban on using certain types of WMDs. It isn't written as "the use of WMDs is allowed unless it's unprovoked", it's written as "the use of WMDs is banned when unprovoked," there's no permission given here. If you put the two bans together in one law, there is no internal contradiction.

You may add what was suggested for clarity, if you want.
Last edited by Sancta Romana Ecclesia on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulus Asteorra

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 pm

"Ah, such a delightfully well meaning attempt to prevent nuclear war. Disappointing that your draft would eliminate the ability to use tactical nuclear weapons and completely invalidate the deterrent effect of Mutually Assured Destruction."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly