NATION

PASSWORD

Innocent Passage ACT [Draft][Abandoned]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
The New Nordic Union wrote:
OOC: Well, no, it does not. Per Law of the Seas, each piece of land creates its own seaborder. 24 miles out from any seaborder is territorial waters.It does not matter where each piece of land is located, since the seaborder follows from the piece of land and the territorial water follow from the seaborder, thus it is not possible for a piece of land not to be surrounded by territorial waters.

OOC: Where are you getting that from? The resolution simply states: "DEFINES the term ‘sea border’ as the point where waters meet the land at mean low tide, or where such a border would exist at sea level in the case of undersea nations;" It does not specify whether this applies to all bodies. Also, I am changing what I wrote a bit. The waterways between islands should be treated as internal waters. While this term is not used in 168 or this bill, it means that innocent passage is not allowed.

OOC: There is no reasonable interpretation of this part that does not include all bodies of land. Otherwise, the definition would be useless in the first place.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
OOC: Well, no, it does not. Per Law of the Seas, each piece of land creates its own seaborder. 24 miles out from any seaborder is territorial waters.It does not matter where each piece of land is located, since the seaborder follows from the piece of land and the territorial water follow from the seaborder, thus it is not possible for a piece of land not to be surrounded by territorial waters.

OOC: Where are you getting that from? The resolution simply states: "DEFINES the term ‘sea border’ as the point where waters meet the land at mean low tide, or where such a border would exist at sea level in the case of undersea nations;" It does not specify whether this applies to all bodies. Also, I am changing what I wrote a bit. The waterways between islands should be treated as internal waters. While this term is not used in 168 or this bill, it means that innocent passage is not allowed.

Ooc: Well it is only reaonable to assume that 'land' means all bodies, not arbitrarily pick and choose different bodies like contients or islands.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 am

Abbeyverne wrote:

OOC: There is no reasonable interpretation of this part that does not include all bodies of land. Otherwise, the definition would be useless in the first place.

Ardiveds wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

Ooc: Well it is only reaonable to assume that 'land' means all bodies, not arbitrarily pick and choose different bodies like contients or islands.

OOC: Yes, it makes sense, but I see not absolutely ensuring it would allow archipelagic states to be targeted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what about this scenario:

Let's take a nation that includes a mainland and an archipelago a long way off. (My nation and the Rancarin Isles) Any member nation with a "differing definition" of what the resolution means could decide to build research facilities on the archipelago (The Rancarin Isles). The result would be either a war or a long and protracted debate with the WANC.

Another possibility is every island having its own "sea border." Now enemy warships can sail up and down the channels in the Rancarins, (via innocent passage) which are home to most of my nation's navy. That makes it super easy for a member nation to sneak attack my archipelago, crippling my nation's naval infrastructure, and potentially leading to the collapse of my nation.

I also think some distinction needs to be made between archipelagos and man made islands (Gotta prevent stuff like China in the SCS).

OP of Empire's End RP, Frequenter of P2TM, and part of the F7 delegation along with -Astoria, Valentine Z, Western Fardelshufflestein, La Xinga, and Nooooooooooooooo.
“...My only complaint is that this guy seems to have plot armor thicker than the hull of a battleship. What’s this Holy Grail thing, anyway? I tried looking it up using foreign information networks but I kept seeing footage of knights being butchered by a rabbit... I don’t think that was a legitimate source.”

...and Josephus sorta started a nuclear war, so I'll just ignore the fact that Kakistopia has almost 50% of deaths due in some part to the God-Empress, and I'll also ignore that Josephus XII was raised as a child-soldier, and I'll say Josephus is the more horrible leader.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:29 am

Abbeyverne wrote:

Ardiveds wrote:Ooc: Well it is only reaonable to assume that 'land' means all bodies, not arbitrarily pick and choose different bodies like contients or islands.

OOC: Yes, it makes sense, but I see not absolutely ensuring it would allow archipelagic states to be targeted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what about this scenario:

Let's take a nation that includes a mainland and an archipelago a long way off. (My nation and the Rancarin Isles) Any member nation with a "differing definition" of what the resolution means could decide to build research facilities on the archipelago (The Rancarin Isles). The result would be either a war or a long and protracted debate with the WANC.

OOC: Now I’m no GA veteran but afaik, the GA and its committees (and the gnomes working in them) seem to go for the most reasonable interpretation in cases like these so the different member nation would simply be in violation of WA law and the WANC couldn’t give two wanks about that nation’s ‘different’ interpretation.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:22 am

The resolution of that fact claim is impossible unless the committee actually existed; repeals therefore are not limited by special considerations arising from use of committees.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:30 am

Abbeyverne wrote:

Ardiveds wrote:Ooc: Well it is only reaonable to assume that 'land' means all bodies, not arbitrarily pick and choose different bodies like contients or islands.

Another possibility is every island having its own "sea border." Now enemy warships can sail up and down the channels in the Rancarins, (via innocent passage) which are home to most of my nation's navy. That makes it super easy for a member nation to sneak attack my archipelago, crippling my nation's naval infrastructure, and potentially leading to the collapse of my nation.

I also think some distinction needs to be made between archipelagos and man made islands (Gotta prevent stuff like China in the SCS).

OOC: No nation can be having a different opinion of the clause without being in noncompliance. If they are your archipelagic islands, they are your sovereign territory. Sea borders and territorial waters follow territorial lands, not the other way around.

The other possibility: Yes, if your islands are more than 48 miles apart, there should be a strip of non-territorial waters in between. That's the same for archipelagoes and all other islands. Otherwise, I see no reason why one should not propose continous territories for all nations. Which would be ridiculous and not feasible at all.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:09 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The resolution of that fact claim is impossible unless the committee actually existed; repeals therefore are not limited by special considerations arising from use of committees.

OOC: This is not a repeal.
Abbeyverne wrote:

OOC: No nation can be having a different opinion of the clause without being in noncompliance. If they are your archipelagic islands, they are your sovereign territory. Sea borders and territorial waters follow territorial lands, not the other way around.

The other possibility: Yes, if your islands are more than 48 miles apart, there should be a strip of non-territorial waters in between. That's the same for archipelagoes and all other islands. Otherwise, I see no reason why one should not propose continous territories for all nations. Which would be ridiculous and not feasible at all.

OOC: That's not exactly what I was saying. I am just saying that currently each island would have it's own 'sea border,' right? So that means the space between my islands (less than 1 NM) would be territorial waters. One part of my proposal says that territorial waters can have innocent passage, but I don't want that in these straights, (I don't think anyone else would either) so I added a part that makes it so there is no innocent passage there.

Also, if the islands are more that 48 NM away from each other, that's not an archipelago.

OP of Empire's End RP, Frequenter of P2TM, and part of the F7 delegation along with -Astoria, Valentine Z, Western Fardelshufflestein, La Xinga, and Nooooooooooooooo.
“...My only complaint is that this guy seems to have plot armor thicker than the hull of a battleship. What’s this Holy Grail thing, anyway? I tried looking it up using foreign information networks but I kept seeing footage of knights being butchered by a rabbit... I don’t think that was a legitimate source.”

...and Josephus sorta started a nuclear war, so I'll just ignore the fact that Kakistopia has almost 50% of deaths due in some part to the God-Empress, and I'll also ignore that Josephus XII was raised as a child-soldier, and I'll say Josephus is the more horrible leader.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The resolution of that fact claim is impossible unless the committee actually existed; repeals therefore are not limited by special considerations arising from use of committees.

OOC: That's not exactly what I was saying. I am just saying that currently each island would have it's own 'sea border,' right? So that means the space between my islands (less than 1 NM) would be territorial waters. One part of my proposal says that territorial waters can have innocent passage, but I don't want that in these straights, (I don't think anyone else would either) so I added a part that makes it so there is no innocent passage there.

Also, if the islands are more that 48 NM away from each other, that's not an archipelago.

OOC: Last sentece: Complete agreement.

Other: Again, what makes the straits so special? If your argument is 'Enemy ships can use innocent passage to creep up on me', how is this any different for archipelagoes vs. other parts of the country? Why couldn't enemy ships not 'sneak up' to your naval bases situated on the mainland? Also, shouldn't the definition of innocent passage be worded in a way to prevent this?

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:55 am

Abbeyverne wrote:

OOC: Wait a minute, does your 'innocent passage' involve allowing foreign military vessels into territorial waters?

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:15 am

Abbeyverne wrote:

OOC: Last sentece: Complete agreement.

Other: Again, what makes the straits so special? If your argument is 'Enemy ships can use innocent passage to creep up on me', how is this any different for archipelagoes vs. other parts of the country? Why couldn't enemy ships not 'sneak up' to your naval bases situated on the mainland? Also, shouldn't the definition of innocent passage be worded in a way to prevent this?

OOC: If the bases are situated on the coast, you are right, it would be pretty easy to get near to them, but if they are inland, say, on a river, well... Let me put it this way, I would like the straits between islands in an archipelago to be treated as rivers in terms of sovereignty and jurisdiction.

Ardiveds wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

OOC: Wait a minute, does your 'innocent passage' involve allowing foreign military vessels into territorial waters?

If the vessels comply with the provisions for innocent passage, (They must simply be passing through, maybe stopping at a port to take on supplies) then yes. However, I would consider adding provisions so that member nations may refuse to allow foreign military vessels in.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: Wait a minute, does your 'innocent passage' involve allowing foreign military vessels into territorial waters?

If the vessels comply with the provisions for innocent passage, (They must simply be passing through, maybe stopping at a port to take on supplies) then yes. However, I would consider adding provisions so that member nations may refuse to allow foreign military vessels in.

OOC: I think you should absolutely add such a provision otherwise pulling off a Pearl Harbor would be as easy as pretending to 'pass through'. Commercial and private vessels are one thing but we can't exactly do much if a bunch of destroyers and carriers 'passing through' suddenly start bombarding a naval base.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:32 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

OOC: I think you should absolutely add such a provision otherwise pulling off a Pearl Harbor would be as easy as pretending to 'pass through'. Commercial and private vessels are one thing but we can't exactly do much if a bunch of destroyers and carriers 'passing through' suddenly start bombarding a naval base.

Very well. I will add this.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:44 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: I think you should absolutely add such a provision otherwise pulling off a Pearl Harbor would be as easy as pretending to 'pass through'. Commercial and private vessels are one thing but we can't exactly do much if a bunch of destroyers and carriers 'passing through' suddenly start bombarding a naval base.

OOC: Now that we have established that you can't make up random interpretations of 'land' in 168 and with that provision for military vessels in this proposal, don't you think clause 5 stands redundant?

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Ardiveds wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

OOC: Now that we have established that you can't make up random interpretations of 'land' in 168 and with that provision for military vessels in this proposal, don't you think clause 5 stands redundant?

OOC: Is there a place outside of clause 5 that states "that you can't make up random interpretations of 'land' in 168"? I didn't see it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:31 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: Now that we have established that you can't make up random interpretations of 'land' in 168 and with that provision for military vessels in this proposal, don't you think clause 5 stands redundant?

OOC: Is there a place outside of clause 5 that states "that you can't make up random interpretations of 'land' in 168"? I didn't see it.

(OOC: GA #002 requires a good-faith interpretation and following of all General Assembly resolutions, which applies to the definition of ‘land’ in 168’.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:19 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

(OOC: GA #002 requires a good-faith interpretation and following of all General Assembly resolutions, which applies to the definition of ‘land’ in 168’.j

OOC: Ok, then I will remove clause 5

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:49 am

So, should I submit?

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:59 am

Abbeyverne wrote:So, should I submit?

OOC: No. You now have a useless definition of 'Archipelagic nation', and you do not use the defined term 'Open Ocean', instead, you use 'open seas'. For starters.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:So, should I submit?

OOC: No. You now have a useless definition of 'Archipelagic nation', and you do not use the defined term 'Open Ocean', instead, you use 'open seas'. For starters.

Ok, I thought I deleted that, and I'll fix the other one.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution,

• Open Ocean: (SNIP DEFINITION)

[...]

4. In the Open Oceans, all nations may freely exercise economic activity and commerce, as well as military exercises. Member nations may build artificial islands in the open seas for any purpose other than as military installations.

Again, you define "Open Ocean" but never use it, instead preferring "Open Oceans" (PLURAL) and "the open seas" in Article 4.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:08 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution,

• Open Ocean: (SNIP DEFINITION)

[...]

4. In the Open Oceans, all nations may freely exercise economic activity and commerce, as well as military exercises. Member nations may build artificial islands in the open seas for any purpose other than as military installations.

Again, you define "Open Ocean" but never use it, instead preferring "Open Oceans" (PLURAL) and "the open seas" in Article 4.

OOC: Sorry. Fixed it.

Anything else?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:Anything else?

OOC: Now you've gone too far the other way and made it contradict several resolutions that talk about what member nations' ships can and can't do in what you term as "open ocean".

And your "troubled" clause in preamble is still a lie.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:28 am

Araraukar wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:Anything else?

OOC: Now you've gone too far the other way and made it contradict several resolutions that talk about what member nations' ships can and can't do in what you term as "open ocean".

"Ambassador, I am afraid I am unaware of these resolutions. Would you please provide resolution numbers so we can find what must be changed? Thank you."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:28 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Now you've gone too far the other way and made it contradict several resolutions that talk about what member nations' ships can and can't do in what you term as "open ocean".

"Ambassador, I am afraid I am unaware of these resolutions. Would you please provide resolution numbers so we can find what must be changed? Thank you."

OOC: You realize you were responding in IC to an OOC comment that your IC ambassador cannot see/hear? You right now have your ambassador talking to thin air. :P

And right now I can't go trawling for those resolutions for you (lumbar disc thing causing massive backache again, which means my computer time is very limited), but if you go to the passed resolutions thread and search with "ocean" and then separately with "sea", you're going to be finding at least some of them. I'd suggest doing a separate search with "fishing" as well.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 am

OOC: Ok, thanks!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly