NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protected Working Leave

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:42 am

Retired WerePenguins wrote:There seems to be an implicit assumption that employment is continual and perpetual but that is not the case in the resolution, "a 'worker' as any individual bound by a contract ..."

The full definition in the proposal is "a 'worker' [is] any individual bound by a contract to perform work or services for an employer, whose employment contract mandates the work or services be performed specifically by that worker, involves an obligation for the worker to perform work and the employer to provide it, and implies the employer having some degree of control over the manner in which the work is performed." The last part is important; this is the common-law test, and is used to distinguish employment relationships by the US IRS and other agencies.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 am

Retired WerePenguins wrote:<snip>

OOC: Good to see you back buddy. Hope all is well.

Cretox State wrote:The full definition in the proposal is "a 'worker' [is] any individual bound by a contract to perform work or services for an employer, whose employment contract mandates the work or services be performed specifically by that worker, involves an obligation for the worker to perform work and the employer to provide it, and implies the employer having some degree of control over the manner in which the work is performed." The last part is important; this is the common-law test, and is used to distinguish employment relationships by the US IRS and other agencies.

OOC: The problem isn't workers vs contractors, it's employees on time limited contracts. These are a thing IRL and are often used to temporarily replace an employee on leave. I don't know what they are referred to in other countries but in UK and Ireland they're generally called "contract jobs". EG: https://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/HRIS-Anal ... 31066.aspx
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:51 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Good to see you back buddy. Hope all is well.

Let's just say that 2020 has and continues to be an interesting year.

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: The problem isn't workers vs contractors, it's employees on time limited contracts. These are a thing IRL and are often used to temporarily replace an employee on leave. I don't know what they are referred to in other countries but in UK and Ireland they're generally called "contract jobs". EG: https://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/HRIS-Anal ... 31066.aspx

That's my point but since this also includes positions that are only filled within a certain time period (the census example I gave was the best because if you miss that window then there isn't another work window for another ten years) where a significant portion of that period being spend on "paid leave" would be a significant hardship for the employer. Ideally the "contract" needs to either be open ended or for a duration significantly greater than that of the potential paid leave period. That is made harder by having that paid period itself be open ended.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:08 pm

It's a fair concern. Though in that case, those people would not be covered under this resolution's definition.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

North American Imperial State
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:27 am

Protected Working Leave was passed 12,324 votes to 2,954.

Well done :)
Last edited by North American Imperial State on Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:35 am

Nooooooooooooooo wrote:Congratulations!

North American Imperial State wrote:Protected Working Leave was passed 12,324 votes to 2,954.

Well done :)

What a momentous occasion, Cretox crashing economies (again)
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives