NATION

PASSWORD

Repeal Law of the Seas! [Draft][Abandoned]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:34 am

New Proposal:

Innocent Passage, Archipelagic Nations, and Open Ocean Jurisdiction

The World Assembly,

NOTING that member nations currently have no right to open and free passage through other member nation’s waters, nor to freely traverse the open oceans,

TROUBLED that there is no definition of the baseline for archipelagic member nations,

UNDERSTANDING that this may lead to civil unrest and international disputes, and

WISHING to establish laws to prevent such disputes,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution,

• Baseline: the low tide mark of the member nation’s coast.

2. In the Territorial Sea, Contiguous Zone, and EEZ other member nations have the right to innocent passage and overflight. Passage is innocent so long as it does not include:
  • any threat or use of force against the sovereignty, territorial integrity or political
  • independence of the coastal State, or in any other manner in violation of the principles of international law embodied in the WA,
  • any exercise or practice with weapons of any kind,
  • any act aimed at collecting information regarding the defense or security of the coastal member nation,
  • any act of propaganda aimed at affecting the defense or security of the coastal member nation,
  • the launching, landing or taking on board of any military device,
  • the loading or unloading of any commodity, currency or person contrary to the laws and regulations of the coastal member nation,
  • any act of willful and serious pollution contrary to this resolution;
  • any fishing activities,
  • the carrying out of research or survey activities,
  • any act aimed at interfering with any systems of communication or any other facilities or installations of the coastal member nation,
  • the construction of military bases or artificial islands,
  • any other activity not having a direct bearing on passage.

3. In the open seas, all nations may freely exercise economic activity and commerce, as well as military exercises, but may not attack vessels for any purpose other than preventing piracy. Member nations may not build artificial islands in the open seas for any purpose other than as research facilities.
4. Archipelagic member nation’s baselines will be defined as a ring touching the outer edge of the outer islands of the archipelago, however, innocent passage is allowed in the seaways between islands.
Last edited by Abbeyverne on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

OP of Empire's End RP, Frequenter of P2TM, and part of the F7 delegation along with -Astoria, Valentine Z, Western Fardelshufflestein, La Xinga, and Nooooooooooooooo.
“...My only complaint is that this guy seems to have plot armor thicker than the hull of a battleship. What’s this Holy Grail thing, anyway? I tried looking it up using foreign information networks but I kept seeing footage of knights being butchered by a rabbit... I don’t think that was a legitimate source.”

...and Josephus sorta started a nuclear war, so I'll just ignore the fact that Kakistopia has almost 50% of deaths due in some part to the God-Empress, and I'll also ignore that Josephus XII was raised as a child-soldier, and I'll say Josephus is the more horrible leader.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 am

OOC: You should make a new thread for the resolution. This one was for the repeal which you have abandoned.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:00 am

Ardiveds wrote:This one was for the repeal which you have abandoned.

And which he hasn't even marked as abandoned, despite saying "Ok, done" immediately after my post :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Previous

Return to General Assembly