NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Freshwater Conservation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Freshwater Conservation Act

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm

The second part of the ideal replacement for COFS (my proposed repeal is here), the draft is coupled with the Oceanic Hazardous Waste Disposal Ban, to fill in all the gaps to make a replacement set stronger than the resolution it is replacing!

Any advice is appreciated.

The World Assembly,

Aware that shortages in safe-to-drink freshwater is a growing problem in many World Assembly member states that poses an existential threat to the public,

Desiring to ensure that freshwater remains or is restored to abundance for posterity,

Hereby,

1. Requires Member Nations to monitor the water table and supply of freshwater in their nations on an annual basis, and to use the findings to devise thoughtful and insightful policies to maintain or replenish the supply, with the results to be swiftly submitted to the Joint Water Resources Management Panel,

2. Instructs Member Nations to perform regular and reasonable inspections of freshwater processing plants, freshwater pipelines, and reservoirs to deduce if water is contaminated, pipes need to be replaced, or other problems which need immediate attention are present,

3. Mandates nations educate the general public on strategies regarding water conservation, the impacts of shortages of freshwater economically, environmentally, and socially, as well as how to avoid polluting drinking water sources as to create a more mindful and less wasteful population,

4. Encourages nations to, as a means to conserve freshwater and effectively avoid water shortage:

1. Construct reservoirs to store usable and treatable freshwater, as well as build effective, or analyse and evaluate their current, agricultural irrigation systems to increase freshwater usage productivity,

2. Implement yearly limits on maximum water usage for given organisations and industries in accordance with the total supply as to prevent the overuse of freshwater,

3. Recycle and potentially purify used water for drinking or usage in other areas that are in need of freshwater,

5. Extends the jurisdiction of the Joint Water Resources Management Panel to include the education of farmers in irrigation techniques, offering fiscal assistance or providing the tools necessary to monitor freshwater as outlined in clause one, and aiding nations in need of the tools, or humanitarian assistance to recover from a shortage,

The wording certainly needs work, but I covered all the bases (I think).
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:57 pm

Solid draft! Keep going with this!

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 am

United Massachusetts wrote:Solid draft! Keep going with this!

...the draft was only up for like 8 minutes.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:38 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Solid draft! Keep going with this!

...the draft was only up for like 8 minutes.

The pro-life pro-raiding faction have to support each other regardless.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:30 am

"Opposed. The proposing delegation represents a nation which refuses to comply in good faith with mandates of this assembly and wishes to pick and choose which mandates of World Assembly law they apply. We will not facilitate the assembly and its members being treated in such contempt."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:08 pm

OOC post.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Aware that shortages in safe-to-drink freshwater is a growing problem in many World Assembly member states that poses an existential threat to the public,

Desiring to ensure that freshwater remains or is restored to abundance for posterity,

Need more logic applied. The preamble should answer WHAT is the problem, WHY is it an international problem and WHY it hasn't been dealt with, by earlier legislation. You have basically only sort of outlined the WHAT of those questions.

Also, use "member nations" in the first clause there. Member nations are the "physical nations", member states are the system that runs the nations, and you're wanting to refer to the nations, not the states, with the current sentence structure.

So you need more arguments for why this is an international issue, and why previous resolutions such as Clean Water Act and Preventing Groundwater Contamination and Transboundary Water Use Act (that is, if you manage to repeal #441) don't already deal with the issue properly.

Requires Member Nations to monitor the water table and supply of freshwater in their nations on an annual basis, and to use the findings to devise thoughtful and insightful policies to maintain or replenish the supply, with the results to be swiftly submitted to the Joint Water Resources Management Panel,

"Thoughtful and insightful" doesn't actually mean anything. You want to use something like "adequate". And if you're creating a committee, you need to create it before you use it, and if you're just giving an existing committee new tasks (such as do something about those reports they get, other than use them as confetti after shredding them gleefully), you need to spell that out as well.

Instructs Member Nations to perform regular and reasonable inspections of freshwater processing plants, freshwater pipelines, and reservoirs to deduce if water is contaminated, pipes need to be replaced, or other problems which need immediate attention are present,

You can instruct me to jump off a bridge and fly instead of falling, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't still fall, even though I'd much rather fly. If you want to make the nations do something, use "mandates" or "requires" instead. It's good you're going with just "regular" instead of some annoying time limit, but what does "reasonable" mean here? If you want them to be thorough, use that word instead. Also, you don't "deduce" if water is contaminated, because most water contaminants are dissolved in it and invisible to the naked eye. You need to test the water itself, not just the pipes it travels through. The inspections on the infrastructure would be more useful in detecting and patching any leaks where you'd be wasting potentially drinkable water. And I think you're missing an "if" from the "or other problems". The sentence ending only makes sense with "or if other problems". The wording in general could use some rework.

Mandates nations educate the general public on strategies regarding water conservation, the impacts of shortages of freshwater economically, environmentally, and socially, as well as how to avoid polluting drinking water sources as to create a more mindful and less wasteful population,

The struck out bit is meaningless fluff, leave it out. You SHOULD put in your preamble some meaningless fluff about how a population that has been given clear instructions on how to save water and whatnot, can make a big difference. And I don't really see how this is an improvement from the existing resolution?

Encourages nations to, as a means to conserve freshwater and effectively avoid water shortage:

Have you checked the three resolutions that have to do with freshwater that you're NOT trying to repeal?

Construct reservoirs to store usable and treatable freshwater, as well as build effective, or analyse and evaluate their current, agricultural irrigation systems to increase freshwater usage productivity,

Okay, the wording is off, and you shouldn't put "storage" and "use" into the same clause.

Implement yearly limits on maximum water usage for given organisations and industries in accordance with the total supply as to prevent the overuse of freshwater,

But people in California can freely keep watering their lawns and washing their cars with drinkable water without any need to think about conservation? :eyebrow: Also, what do you do when there's a drought for several years and there just isn't water to go around? (Actually READ the other three resolutions on freshwater use and protections.)

Recycle and potentially purify used water for drinking or usage in other areas that are in need of freshwater,

USING UNPURIFIED "USED" WATER FOR DRINKING WATER WOULD VIOLATE Clean Water Act, so you need to seriously rethink this one. What are you after with it?

Extends the jurisdiction of the Joint Water Resources Management Panel to include the education of farmers in irrigation techniques, offering fiscal assistance or providing the tools necessary to monitor freshwater as outlined in clause one, and aiding nations in need of the tools, or humanitarian assistance to recover from a shortage,

No, no, no, no, no. Committees don't have jurisdictions, they have mandates. Why that particular committee anyway? Do you know that the "joint" there refers to different nations, not different people? You're making the nations educate people already, do you think farmers are such idiots that they need to be educated twice? Committees use money that comes from ALL nations, including the drought-striken poverty trap ones. Don't throw it away so casually. Make nations petition for the money and only grant it if the nations can prove they absolutely can't provide it themselves (by, say, buying a few fewer fighter jets or missiles). Also, if you're pulling humanitarian issues to this, you have 4 or 6 other resolutions to wade through, and "shortage" doesn't usually mean "no drinking water", but rather indeed the whole "don't try to grow a grass lawn in California a desert by using drinkable water" thing.

I know at least two Californians who would agree with me on the bits about California, so not being unnecessarily mean. And they might be annoyed if I left out the mention that the place is always on fire.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:00 am

“Using ‘member nations’ in clauses 1 and 2 but ‘nations’ in clauses 3 and 4 makes it look as though you are trying to affect non-members. I recommend sticking with ‘member nations’ or ‘member states’ throughout.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly