NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] GMO International Trade Accord

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:46 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Heavens Reach wrote:
OOC: hybridization is a form of genetic modification. The link between the banana, and the potato, and the sterile seed is the danger of monoculture, when farmers replace all of the genetically varied natural plantlife with a single infertile culture (e.g. bananas, again.)

OOC: Aren't most plant stuff we eat genetically modified? Everything like almost all fruits and most vegetables are no where close to their wild variants anymore. So how are these genetically diverse anymore?

OOC: They aren't, and from time to time they do experience mass die-offs due to monoculturing. It's not great.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:47 am

"Except the proposal does not mandate the use of sterilized seeds. Are you telling me that farmers will somehow be forced to purchase genetically modified sterilized crops?"

We think that you are confusing our concerns with the mandate with earlier concerns raised about it by someone else.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: It is quite a small section, but I can’t see any potential for abuse. A member nation being ‘demonstrably unable to otherwise implement’ isn’t very subjective, and seems fairly clear to me. The funds are additionally only for the purpose of ‘implementing measures pursuant to this resolution’, which is also quite clear.)

Oops, didn’t read the pursuant to resolution part. Carry on.

OOC: Reading is good. Everyone should read more. :D
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:51 am

Heavens Reach wrote:OOC: hybridization is a form of genetic modification. The link between the banana, and

OOC: Except it's not, according to proposal, because hybridization occurs naturally and/or is a traditional breeding method. Same for allopolyploidy (the two of which pretty much cover all existing crops in RL barring a few new ones).

the potato, and the sterile seed

I take it you don't actually know anything about potatoes, then. I really suggest looking up "potato varieties in the Andes" or something like that, because I promise you that you will be gobsmacked.

Also, potato is basically tomato, except we don't plant them from the seeds, instead propagating them vegetatively. That does not mean potatoes did not flower or produce seeds if allowed to. Have you ever farmed potatoes yourself? I have.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:58 am

Araraukar wrote:
Heavens Reach wrote:OOC: hybridization is a form of genetic modification. The link between the banana, and

OOC: Except it's not, according to proposal, because hybridization occurs naturally and/or is a traditional breeding method. Same for allopolyploidy (the two of which pretty much cover all existing crops in RL barring a few new ones).

the potato, and the sterile seed

I take it you don't actually know anything about potatoes, then. I really suggest looking up "potato varieties in the Andes" or something like that, because I promise you that you will be gobsmacked.

Also, potato is basically tomato, except we don't plant them from the seeds, instead propagating them vegetatively. That does not mean potatoes did not flower or produce seeds if allowed to. Have you ever farmed potatoes yourself? I have.

OOC: I'm not entirely sure you understand what my post is saying? Look up monoculturing and the Irish potato famine.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:24 am

Heavens Reach wrote:OOC: I'm not entirely sure you understand what my post is saying? Look up monoculturing and the Irish potato famine.

OOC: And you need to look up natural hybridization and pay attention to the proposal's definition.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

San Guglielmo
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby San Guglielmo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:53 am

Not seeing room in the proposal for nations to prohibit the cultivation, yet allow import.

Newenken
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Newenken » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:21 am

“The Federal Republic of Newenken welcomes that an issue of vital importance is so clearly covered by the General Assembly in a Resolution.

We understand the concerns of some Nations that the text of the proposal would prevent them from prohibiting the use of genetically modified crops (for example, “Clause 3 d” requires States to assist in scientific and technical training regarding GMOs, or “Clause 4 a” which has already been invoked by many of them).

However, we advance our support given that agriculture is a key sector of our economy, thanks in part to the advancement of biotechnology applied to crops”.

San Guglielmo
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby San Guglielmo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:50 am

Newenken wrote:“The Federal Republic of Newenken welcomes that an issue of vital importance is so clearly covered by the General Assembly in a Resolution.

We understand the concerns of some Nations that the text of the proposal would prevent them from prohibiting the use of genetically modified crops (for example, “Clause 3 d” requires States to assist in scientific and technical training regarding GMOs, or “Clause 4 a” which has already been invoked by many of them).

However, we advance our support given that agriculture is a key sector of our economy, thanks in part to the advancement of biotechnology applied to crops”.

Appreciate your reference to where in the text nations are concerned the proposal prevents them prohibiting use.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives