NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Promotion of Recycling"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal "Promotion of Recycling"

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:21 am

Replacement Link
Category: Repeal
Target: 483
Proposed by: Honeydewistania

"General Assembly Resolution #483 "Promotion Of Recycling" (Category: Environmental; Industry Affected: All Businesses - Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void."

The General Assembly,

Acknowledging and praising GAR#483 for its attempt to promote recycling of materials, thereby reducing waste;

Disappointed, however, at the numerous critical flaws in GAR#483 that render it unable to achieve its commendable goal;

Annoyed at the garbled language littered throughout GAR#483, rendering clauses incoherent and unable to be enforced even in good faith, such as clause 3’s bizarre phrasing 'the usage of through recycling recovered materials';

Concerned that despite defining ‘recyclable waste material’ in Clause 1(a), the term is not used in Clause 2(b), which as a result mandates that member nations implement separate systems to collect all refuse containing even a small portion of recyclable material;

Further concerned that this mandate is infeasible and incredibly costly, as it arguably requires the collection of goods that are:
  1. a serious environmental, occupational or processing hazard;
  2. extremely difficult or expensive to salvage or recycle; or
  3. of incredibly low use in a member nation's economy;

Irritated by the resolution's apparent insistence on domestic handling of all materials, without any allowance made for possible trade or transshipment of recyclable waste products to reduce costs among all member states;

Saddened by the resolution’s lack of insistence on full upgrade and update measures for nations claiming to have recycling programs already in place, allowing pre-existing substandard recycling programs to pass without penalty; and

Hoping that by repealing this legislation, a more effective resolution to promote good recycling practices can be passed;

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution 483, "Promotion Of Recycling."

Co-authored by Sierra Lyricalia.

Replacement currently in the works right now, will be released in a few days. Leave comments below. (even: this is crap!!!!)
Last edited by Ransium on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:13 am, edited 21 times in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:07 pm

Update: Kenmoria and I are working on a replacement, it’ll be posted when done
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm

“I think you wanted ‘bizarre’ rather than ‘blizzard’ in the ‘irritated’ clause.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“I think you wanted ‘bizarre’ rather than ‘blizzard’ in the ‘irritated’ clause.”

Done.

Also, this is up.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:52 am

Leo clears his throat briefly and stands to address the central podium. "I believe you've got most of what needs mentioning in here, Ambassador. My interns were frankly shitty at getting me the messages you left my office; my apologies for that. I would suggest adding back in the piece about trade or transshipment, that was present in our previous draft. If one member state has an existing program for recycling certain materials that would be simply discarded in another member state, that other state will likely find it cheaper to pay the first state to recycle those materials, than to create its own program from scratch. Protections against exploitation - for example, where poorer nations host quick-and-dirty recycling operations for a disproportionate load of electronic waste to the detriment of their environment and public health, or else simply take it and pile it up in great toxic mounds - would be good fodder for a separate resolution."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:23 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Leo clears his throat briefly and stands to address the central podium. "I believe you've got most of what needs mentioning in here, Ambassador. My interns were frankly shitty at getting me the messages you left my office; my apologies for that. I would suggest adding back in the piece about trade or transshipment, that was present in our previous draft. If one member state has an existing program for recycling certain materials that would be simply discarded in another member state, that other state will likely find it cheaper to pay the first state to recycle those materials, than to create its own program from scratch. Protections against exploitation - for example, where poorer nations host quick-and-dirty recycling operations for a disproportionate load of electronic waste to the detriment of their environment and public health, or else simply take it and pile it up in great toxic mounds - would be good fodder for a separate resolution."

"Thank you for the suggestion, Ambassador Leo."

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:45 pm

Planning on submitting this in around a week, maybe earlier depending on further comments

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:31 am

I plan to submit this either 5pm GMT Wednesday or 5am GMT Thursday

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:38 am

“In subclause 1, a ‘negligible’ environmental hazard wouldn’t do any harm. I think you mean a serious hazard.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:42 am

Kenmoria wrote:“In subclause 1, a ‘negligible’ environmental hazard wouldn’t do any harm. I think you mean a serious hazard.”

"We did indeed mean that. Will be changed soon."

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 am

OOC: I would make the following changes for language clarity/flow:

Honeydewistania wrote:Concerned that despite defining ‘recyclable waste material’ in Clause 1(a), the term is not used in Clause 2(b), which as a result mandates that member nations must implement collection systems to recycle all materials; [underline added]

Further concerned that mandating as such is incredibly unfeasible and costly this mandate is infeasible and incredibly costly, as it could mean mandating arguably requires the collection and possible recycling of goods that are:...
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:14 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: I would make the following changes for language clarity/flow:

Honeydewistania wrote:Concerned that despite defining ‘recyclable waste material’ in Clause 1(a), the term is not used in Clause 2(b), which as a result mandates that member nations must implement collection systems to recycle all materials; [underline added]

Further concerned that mandating as such is incredibly unfeasible and costly this mandate is infeasible and incredibly costly, as it could mean mandating arguably requires the collection and possible recycling of goods that are:...

Gotcha

Attancia
Attaché

Founded: May 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Attancia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:15 am

"As a nation that maintains a portentous dislike of the WA's basically supranational resolutions, we support nearly all repeals -- especially those written well, such as yours, Ambassador. We shall therefore be voting FOR this resolution."
"If I had a nickel for every time Attancia attempted to use the media to get the Furbish public on his side but backfired miserably I'd have two nickels...Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice" -Furbish Islands

"Attancia proved last night that he isn't a clown" -Furbish Islands

"Attancia is slightly less retarded now" -I forgot the name someone in TL discord once

Also...Attancia types too well to be 13, if I'm honest. Something doesn't add up. -Fluvannia

Lime82
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 19, 2015

Postby Lime82 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:54 pm

"This is a well written repeal which highlights the shortcomings of GAR#483. We will support the repeal in the hopes that a better proposal can be produced and ultimately implemented.
Europeia

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:41 am

"If there are no further comments, this will be submitted at minor"

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:36 am

OOC:

Concerned that despite defining ‘recyclable waste material’ in Clause 1(a), the term is not used in Clause 2(b), which as a result mandates that member nations implement collection systems to recycle all materials;

I don't think this clause 2(b) actually mandates that all materials are recycled or collected for recycling. It specifically states that "recyclable materials and salvageable objects" are the subject of the collection system. "Recyclable materials and salvageable objects" =/= "all materials".
Last edited by Bananaistan on Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC:

Concerned that despite defining ‘recyclable waste material’ in Clause 1(a), the term is not used in Clause 2(b), which as a result mandates that member nations implement collection systems to recycle all materials;

I don't think this clause 2(b) actually mandates that all materials are recycled or collected for recycling. It specifically states that "recyclable materials and salvageable objects" are the subject of the collection system. "Recyclable materials and salvageable objects" =/= "all materials".

I’ll change it to all recyclable materials

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 am

I will not be submitting at minor. I have edited a bit, please leave your comments below (if you can point out a potential HM or other rules violation, that'd be great too)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:50 am

(OOC: This is incredibly minor, but you have a mixture of curly and straight quotation marks throughout the proposal. I suggest standardising.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:52 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: This is incredibly minor, but you have a mixture of curly and straight quotation marks throughout the proposal. I suggest standardising.)

Mobile is annoying. It'll be fixed.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:32 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC:

I’ll change it to all recyclable materials

OOC: Is there a reason why a requirement to collect all recyclable materials is a problem in a resolution to promote recycling?
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:I’ll change it to all recyclable materials

OOC: Is there a reason why a requirement to collect all recyclable materials is a problem in a resolution to promote recycling?

Many materials are able to be recycled. However, doing so can be incredibly expensive, since recycling is a very expensive process. You'll end up collecting everything that could possibly be recycled, and even if you end up throwing away everything you collect you still would had wasted lots of money. This is especially important for this resolution, since it allows subpar existing recycling systems to continue their subpar existence, and if it's very environmentally unfriendly/expensive then there's a problem.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:30 pm

How's it now?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:21 am

Honeydewistania wrote:How's it now?

OOC: Won't have time to check it or your other ones until evening, sorry, but I'm adding them all on my To Do list so I don't forget!
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:25 am

Araraukar wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:How's it now?

OOC: Won't have time to check it or your other ones until evening, sorry, but I'm adding them all on my To Do list so I don't forget!

Heh, thanks.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives