NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Marine Protection Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fractalnavel
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2005
Anarchy

Postby Fractalnavel » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:01 pm

The WA acts as if all of its members have bottomless treasuries. Every new resolution tanks the economy further. Are there any resolutions about budgets, and limiting WA actions and/or members compliance based on such? Going to have to leave if this keeps up...

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Fractalnavel wrote:The WA acts as if all of its members have bottomless treasuries. Every new resolution tanks the economy further. Are there any resolutions about budgets, and limiting WA actions and/or members compliance based on such? Going to have to leave if this keeps up...

“Although you do what many consider a good point with regards to the limited funds of members, this proposal doesn’t really affect states much. It is much more focused on having the World Assembly perform actions through the mechanism of a committee. However, with regards to the funds of member states generally, I consider this is net gain. Money is less important than civil rights, contrary to what many others might say.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Fearann Dorcha
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fearann Dorcha » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:00 pm

"Since a great deal of my citizens live in water, I support this 100%."
- KING BOWSER, Ruler and Sea Lover of Fearann Dorcha
"Finally! You got here just in time to see the creation of my galaxy in the center of the universe! WATCH AND WEEP! From this galaxy, I'll rule a great galactic empire with Peach by my side. It will last forever! I will rule every pitiful corner of the universe. So, as you can see, I got big plans. And stomping you is at the top of my list!"
- KING BOWSER, Diabolical King of Fearann Dorcha

JC Cavs
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Protecting the Environment

Postby JC Cavs » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 pm

I think protecting our environment is incredibly important and relevant to human life. There should be a greater focus on preserving the planet. It should start within governments and continue through communities and individuals. Simply planting a tree and recycling used materials is highly beneficial to maintaining the planet’s health and does not require a lot of work.

JC Cavs
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby JC Cavs » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Fearann Dorcha wrote:"Since a great deal of my citizens live in water, I support this 100%."

Similar to your country, clean and safe waters are vital to the survival of my country, as fishing is a large part of my country’s economy and food source.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:46 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Your legality argument

OOC: What legality argument? I made no legality arguments on the proposal that I'm aware of. I just said that the WA having jurisdiction over international areas makes no sense in IC given how we're supposed to view the WA in IC, even according to you (you often compare it to the EU).

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Law abiding nations which are not required to know what the regulations are? *snip*

And that is exactly why I hate the current trend of the "make a committee, make it make invisible regulations" approach. Why aren't you complaining about that instead, rather than the enforcement? The enforcement should be easy, given it'd be one committee telling another what the regulations are, and then Wine And Crouton Conference pouncing at any nation not compliant with it. That process involved something about nations being given a chance to correct their behaviour before sanctions coming in, I think? That, at latest, is the nation being made aware of the regulations AND enforcing them in the same go. You created that system, making something like this possible, so rejoice on it being taken to its bureaucratic perfection, now. :p
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Gaen Vale Queendom
Civil Servant

Founded: May 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaen Vale Queendom » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:28 am

JC Cavs wrote:
Fearann Dorcha wrote:"Since a great deal of my citizens live in water, I support this 100%."

Similar to your country, clean and safe waters are vital to the survival of my country, as fishing is a large part of my country’s economy and food source.

You can just be a little bugger like me and sneak out of the World Assembly for a day before the resolution passes. That way you won't be affected by this rediculous law. I don't know if this is technicaly in the rules or not, but if you can exploit something to your advantage, you may as well do it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:46 am

Gaen Vale Queendom wrote:
JC Cavs wrote:

You can just be a little bugger like me and sneak out of the World Assembly for a day before the resolution passes. That way you won't be affected by this rediculous law. I don't know if this is technicaly in the rules or not, but if you can exploit something to your advantage, you may as well do it.

(OOC: Just on this point, that only affects things stat-wise. Your nation is still affected from a legal perspective by any extant resolutions, regardless of whether you were currently in the WA when it passed. The stats, however, don’t change if you aren’t in the WA for technical reasons.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Eluney
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Eluney » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm

“Although The Federal Republic of Eluney does not have sea coasts, we believe that environmental protection related to the seas is an issue that should concern humanity as a whole and, therefore, all Nations.

We see pertinent the concerns of some nations regarding the competence of the General Assembly to legislate on international waters. Indeed, GA #293 -which has nothing to do with international waters- "NOTES that the jurisdiction of the World Assembly (...) is limited to only acting within WA member nations or through their actions within their territories ".

However, we see that the creation of the CPME does not go against this principle. There are other resolutions of the General Assembly that legislate actions of Member Nations in relation to international waters (GA #20, GA #50; GA #95; GA #168; GA #199; GA #441, among others) and that even some of they recognize state jurisdiction within international waters (GA #168, Clause 3: “A nation's territorial jurisdiction also extends over offshore installations located within its EEZ, and over ships registered in that nation while those are in International Waters”).

We understand that if the General Assembly has recognized Member Nations the power to carry out activities of all kinds in international waters, then the creation of an organism that is in charge of issuing legislation aimed at the environmental protection of certain areas within territorial waters -despite obviously not being applicable to non-Member Nations-, is a valid step. On the other hand, we also understand that the power granted to the CPME to legislate is correct, since this gives it the necessary flexibility to avoid that issues not contemplated in this Resolution should be covered later by another Resolution.

For all the above, Eluney will vote in favor of this proposal”.

Mr. Carlos Alejandro Herrera.
Permanent Representative of the Federal Republic of Eluney to the World Assembly.
Last edited by Eluney on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Federal Republic of Eluney
Councillor in Union of Christian Nations
Moral compass: Matthew 25: 31-46
National Factbook Overview:
Posts IC unless marked otherwise.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Marine Protection Act was passed 11,880 votes to 3,672.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:08 am

"Pardon my language, but holy crap, our weather was significantly improved over a small dip in the Trout Fishing industry. This is a worthwhile trade to us, but I wonder what happened with countries that has Trout Fishing as their primary industry?"
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 am

Picairn wrote:"Pardon my language, but holy crap, our weather was significantly improved over a small dip in the Trout Fishing industry. This is a worthwhile trade to us, but I wonder what happened with countries that has Trout Fishing as their primary industry?"

"Enjoying the sunshine while they still have cash in pocket I imagine."
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives