NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Regulations on Convict Labor

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:35 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Barfleur wrote:/bump

I'm thinking of reworking this proposal to make it more passable, and then submitting again.

(OOC: Did it not reach quorum? I can’t think why, except perhaps due to an error with campaigning. There doesn’t seem to be anything immediately wrong with the draft.)

Sadly, it did not reach quorum. I campaigned manually, though I think I'll use API next time.

Honeydewistania wrote:Clarification needed: Are prisons allowed to force everyone off their arse and work? Or is it an 'opt-in' thing?

Nations cannot force prisoners to work, as that would violate Int'l Criminal Protocol. What nations can do is decide whether or not prisoners are allowed to work, should they so choose.
Last edited by Barfleur on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:07 pm

I see. Well, support.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:01 am

I'll submit this tomorrow at minor. Promise.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Hanshire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanshire » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 am

Prisoners have given up all rights once a crime is committed. There should be no regulations. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
My in-character responses do not reflect my real life views

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:24 am

Hanshire wrote:Prisoners have given up all rights once a crime is committed. There should be no regulations. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

OOC: Nonsense.
IC: "My esteemed friend, I think you are looking at the criminal justice system the wrong way. The purpose of said system is not to cause suffering for the sake of suffering to the criminal, rather, to give them a punishment appropriate to the crime committed, and to rehabilitate them so that they will leave prison a better and more productive person than when they came in."
Co-author, GA#534.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:47 am

“In the ‘recognising’ clause, ‘incarcerated being’ sounds odd. Consider ‘incarcerated person’ instead. As before, full support.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 am

1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution, a "prisoner" as a sapient being confined to a certain location as punishment for a crime, with such location excluding one's home;

This will work better if you just removed the exclusion from the definition and apply a clarifying clause clarifying that it does not apply to house arrests.

Overall it's quite good.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Hanshire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanshire » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Barfleur wrote:
Hanshire wrote:Prisoners have given up all rights once a crime is committed. There should be no regulations. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

OOC: Nonsense.
IC: "My esteemed friend, I think you are looking at the criminal justice system the wrong way. The purpose of said system is not to cause suffering for the sake of suffering to the criminal, rather, to give them a punishment appropriate to the crime committed, and to rehabilitate them so that they will leave prison a better and more productive person than when they came in."

There are people who cannot be redeemed sadly. They, can only serve justice through other means. This is just our view.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Hanshire wrote:
Barfleur wrote:OOC: Nonsense.

There are people who cannot be redeemed sadly. They, can only serve justice through other means. This is just our view.

"There are very few people in the world who are truly irredeemable. Someone who steals a bottle of whiskey from a liquor store certainly is not one of them, and does not deserve to spend the rest of his life as a virtual slave--aside from the obvious human rights violation, society would be much better served by rehabilitating him and putting him back in the workforce, where he can take a job, provide for his family, pay taxes, and not have to resort to crime."
Co-author, GA#534.

Hanshire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanshire » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Barfleur wrote:
Hanshire wrote:

"There are very few people in the world who are truly irredeemable. Someone who steals a bottle of whiskey from a liquor store certainly is not one of them, and does not deserve to spend the rest of his life as a virtual slave--aside from the obvious human rights violation, society would be much better served by rehabilitating him and putting him back in the workforce, where he can take a job, provide for his family, pay taxes, and not have to resort to crime."

If only it were that easy. We try to bring them spiritual help but the WA is attempting to make it illegal to give these religious lifelines. It is a sad state of affairs, to say the least.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Barfleur wrote:1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution, a "prisoner" as a sapient being confined to a certain location as punishment for a crime;

OOC: Given you're excluding house arrest from this, that exclusion should definitely be included here. Otherwise it WILL come up (because it's buried as a sideswipe near the end of the proposal, currently). Maybe "...a prisoner as a sapient being confined to a certain location as punishment for a crime, barring house arrest at their own home or the home of a volunteer" instead? Because "house arrest" on its own is vague enough that you could claim it applies to all prisoners and thus they're excluded from your proposal. Not making it just "their own home", because they could be in house arrest at a relative's place or a friend's place or even the sheriff's home. But basically in someone's home. If they're locked up in other location (like a motel) and under guard, then that should count as being in prison for all applicable purposes, as they'd be better off if it did (because of all the prisoners' rights and such resolutions) than if it didn't.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:48 am

Hanshire wrote:
Barfleur wrote:"There are very few people in the world who are truly irredeemable. Someone who steals a bottle of whiskey from a liquor store certainly is not one of them, and does not deserve to spend the rest of his life as a virtual slave--aside from the obvious human rights violation, society would be much better served by rehabilitating him and putting him back in the workforce, where he can take a job, provide for his family, pay taxes, and not have to resort to crime."

If only it were that easy. We try to bring them spiritual help but the WA is attempting to make it illegal to give these religious lifelines. It is a sad state of affairs, to say the least.

"It certainly is a sad state of affairs that prisoners almost always leave prison worse for it than when they came in, and are unlikely to even be productive again. That is one of the many problems my proposal seeks to solve."

Araraukar wrote:
Barfleur wrote:1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution, a "prisoner" as a sapient being confined to a certain location as punishment for a crime;

OOC: Given you're excluding house arrest from this, that exclusion should definitely be included here. Otherwise it WILL come up (because it's buried as a sideswipe near the end of the proposal, currently). Maybe "...a prisoner as a sapient being confined to a certain location as punishment for a crime, barring house arrest at their own home or the home of a volunteer" instead? Because "house arrest" on its own is vague enough that you could claim it applies to all prisoners and thus they're excluded from your proposal. Not making it just "their own home", because they could be in house arrest at a relative's place or a friend's place or even the sheriff's home. But basically in someone's home. If they're locked up in other location (like a motel) and under guard, then that should count as being in prison for all applicable purposes, as they'd be better off if it did (because of all the prisoners' rights and such resolutions) than if it didn't.

OOC: Done.
Last edited by Barfleur on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Co-author, GA#534.

Hanshire
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanshire » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Esteemed Ambassador of Barfleur

It certainly is a sad state of affairs that prisoners almost always leave prison worse for it than when they came in, and are unlikely to even be productive again. That is one of the many problems my proposal seeks to solve."

From the desk of Daphanie Heenan, Head of Foreign Relations in Conjunction With Head of Justice, Lana Sullivan and Grand Spiritual Advisor, Hulette:

Humans, are a true gift from the gods and understand the concepts of morality and laws. Our law system is in place to catch any demons amongst our people. To quote our Grand Spiritual Advisor, Fiona Hutette: "Demons have somehow escaped eternal damnation and have been sent to tear the fabric of our society at the seams. They do not abide by laws." Therefore, criminal are demons in disguise.

May the Empress Bless You All

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly