NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Declaration of Working Freedoms

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned] Declaration of Working Freedoms

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:46 am

"While Marxist Germany's proposed repeal of GAR#491 "Rights of the Employed" appears promising, we could not help but notice the lack of a potential replacement. Therefore, we have prepared a rough draft of such. Any feedback, especially regarding duplication and definitions, is always welcome."

OOC: This has been abandoned in favor of narrower-scope proposals that more effectively cover what this one attempts to.

Declaration of Working Freedoms

Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Labor Rights

The World Assembly,

Recognizing the importance of ensuring the protection of workers’ rights;

Commending the now-repealed GAR#491 "Rights of the Employed" for enumerating several such rights;

Wishing to provide a suitable replacement for the aforementioned resolution, and expand on its principles, hereby:
  1. Defines for the purposes of this resolution:
    1. A “worker” as any legally recognized person currently hired for a wage, salary, fee or payment to perform work or services for an employer, including those who set their own working hours;
    2. An “employee” as any worker bound by a contract to perform work or services for an employer, whose employment contract mandates the work or services be performed specifically by that worker, involves an obligation for the worker to perform work and the employer to provide it, and implies the employer having some degree of control over the manner in which the work is performed;
  2. Clarifies that:
    1. A worker is not considered an employee if said worker may, without penalty by their employer, refuse any given offer of work by the employer;
    2. An employment contract may be explicitly agreed upon in writing or orally, or may be implicit in the nature of the relationship between the worker and employer;
  3. Declares that all workers in member-nations shall enjoy protection from discrimination, suspension, dismissal, payment reduction, denial of work, hiring discrimination, and pay discrimination, on the grounds of or as a result of:
    1. Gender identity, sexual identity, or gender;
    2. Childbirth or claiming parental (including adoption) leave;
    3. Breastfeeding, being of childbearing age, or potentially needing to breastfeed as a result of childbirth or adoption;
  4. Clarifies that the above conditions may be considered when hiring, suspending, denying work to, or dismissing a worker, so long as said conditions severely and undeniably impede the worker's ability to perform the work they are being or have been hired to perform, and are not the sole reason for hiring, suspending, denying work to, or dismissing said worker;
  5. Declares that all workers in member-nations shall enjoy protection from retaliation by their employer for participating in a trial, tribunal, or other legal action with the goal of enforcing the rights enumerated in this resolution;
  6. Asserts that every employee in member-nations shall enjoy:
    1. The right to claim at least eight weeks of leave, during the time of their choosing, upon childbirth or the adoption of a child who requires special caregiver attention, for the duration of which the employee must receive their full expected monetary compensation for work, in addition to any other benefits granted by their employer for work;
    2. Clarifies that said leave must only be provided if it is not unreasonable to do so considering the nature of the employment;
    3. Further clarifies that said monetary compensation includes compensation for lost working opportunities, consistent with the monetary reward normally earned in the course of said opportunities;
    4. A private, hygienic, ventilated, and safe area in the workplace to be used for the purposes of breastfeeding, and a reasonable period of the working day set aside for breastfeeding, if the employee requires such, and if providing such does not place an unreasonable burden on the employer;
  7. Mandates that employees be granted by their employer a minimum of two months' notice prior to dismissal, so long as such notice can be reasonably expected, and that employees provide their employer a minimum of two months' notice prior to exiting their current employment, so long as such notice can be reasonably expected;
  8. Encourages member-nations to continue expanding the scope of workers’ rights and increasing the fairness and transparency of employers' practices with regards to workers.
Last edited by Cretox State on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:52 am

OOC: Will have more comments later, but what on earth is "breastfeeding age"? I think you mean "childbearing age"?

EDIT: Also, clause 6.a. is really hard to follow, clause 5.a. would make police, guard, bodyguard and many military jobs impossible, and clause 7 - does that apply even when the work they're contracted to do, say, a research project, lasts less than 2 months? Same goes for the 8 weeks in clause 6.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Will have more comments later, but what on earth is "breastfeeding age"? I think you mean "childbearing age"?

EDIT: Also, clause 6.a. is really hard to follow, clause 5.a. would make police, guard, bodyguard and many military jobs impossible, and clause 7 - does that apply even when the work they're contracted to do, say, a research project, lasts less than 2 months? Same goes for the 8 weeks in clause 6.

OOC: Should be better now. I didn't really like clause 5.a to begin with.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:12 pm

OOC: Bumping this, given that Marxist Germany intends to move forward with submitting their repeal. Also changed the name.
Last edited by Cretox State on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Assistant Bianca Venkman: Your new title's cringe, you're missing a bullet point between Articles 4 and 5, you cite "hiring discrimination and pay discrimination" as separate from discrimination, and I don't know what a "working opportunity is." Likely against for now.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:31 pm

“With regards to clause 3, I will cite GA #035: ‘except for compelling practical purposes, such as hiring only female staff to work with battered women who have sought refuge from their abusers’. Why do you not have a similar exemption? I acknowledge that 35 is very loosely-worded in this regard, but I think the idea of compelling practical purposes should be upheld.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm

OOC: The clarifications make the definitions really muddled, now. Especially the non-expicit contract - if it's generally understood that the worker may not turn down work (and so count as employee), but there's no contract saying they can't, then do they count as a worker or an employee?

Why do you need to make any separation between the two anyway?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 pm

“Now that I think about it, this is a really nice desk. What was that? Oh, of course. How could I forget?

First order of business: the genius who came up with the new title just got a free Capitol Balcony Skydiving lesson. So that’s nice.

Second order of business: earlier today, a group of surprisingly athletic World Assembly ambassadors broke in through the window and carried off my predecessor. As a result, I am hereby announcing that this proposal will be scrapped, and replaced with a series of more focused legislation that can actually accomplish the goals of this one. Such legislation will include parental leave, breastfeeding, freedom from retaliation, etc. I am not under duress; all is well!”

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly