NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal: "Military Identification Tag Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal: "Military Identification Tag Act"

Postby Morover » Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am

"While the soon-to-be-resolution would not negatively affect Morover due to our distinct lack of armed forces, we still feel that it would be detrimental to a number of other nations - particularly those fighting against non-member-state belligerents."

General Assembly Resolution #490 “Military Identification Tag Act” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Admiring the goal of GAR#490, Military Identification Tag Act, in trying to reunite lost soldiers with their families and to reduce the number of unknown soldiers,

Noting, however, that information such as that required by the resolution can be detrimental to member nations soldiers if it falls into the hands of an enemy belligerent,

Worried that some member nations which may add potentially compromising information such as religion to military identification tags in an attempt to ensure the proper burial of deceased soldiers when in conflict with good-faith and generally benevolent actors will not have the resources or general competence to redistribute the military identification tags to each soldier, should they come into conflict with more nefarious belligerents who may use this compromising information in order to employ somewhat creative forms of torture - a condition that ultimately detracts from the basic rights that the General Assembly attempts to uphold,

Dismaying that, as a result of section 7, combatants taken as prisoners of war cannot destroy their military identification tags to protect themselves from the creative forms of torture that may arise from these tags without violating international law, hindering the ability for soldiers to take their livelihood under their own discretion,

Considering the fact that section 8 lacks proper protocols for when a military identification tag is considered decommissioned, which, depending on interpretation, may disallow the repurposing of military identification tags by any entity,

Disheartened that section 8 neglects to allow the families or friends of fallen soldiers to repurpose former tags to whatever they see fit for closure - neglecting the impact that the loss of a loved one to war and the need to lessen that impact through a variety of channels, and

Believing that these issues only go to show that no one-size-fits-all legislation can cover the issue of military identification tags for all nations adequately, hereby

Repeals GAR#490, "Military Identification Tag Act."

OOC: I see that Stellonia has another draft for repeal up, but I wrote this before I saw it and waited on comments from somebody, so I'm a little behind the game. That being said, however, I don't feel that Stellonia's repeal adequately addresses the problems with the soon-to-be-resolution, so I've decided to proceed with this nonetheless.

This will be submitted in about a week and a half, exact date TBD.
Last edited by Ransium on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:09 am, edited 12 times in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 27, 2020 10:08 am

“As for the other draft, this has my support. I would add to the ‘dismaying’ clause or elsewhere the fact that WA member nation soldiers may be fighting non-members, who are under no obligation not to use torture.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Wed May 27, 2020 10:43 am

Kenmoria wrote:“As for the other draft, this has my support. I would add to the ‘dismaying’ clause or elsewhere the fact that WA member nation soldiers may be fighting non-members, who are under no obligation not to use torture.”

"I worry that, with the inclusion of that in the 'Noting' clause, it would become repetitive."

"Actually, come to think of it, if I included it in the 'Worried' clause, it would be essentially the same effect as if I included it in both of the surrounding clauses, so I'll just move it."

General Assembly Resolution #490 “Military Identification Tag Act” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Admiring the goal of GAR#490, Military Identification Tag Act, in trying to reunite lost soldiers with their families and to reduce the number of unknown soldiers,

Noting, however, that information such as that required by the resolution can be detrimental if it falls into the hands of an enemy belligerent, especially those who are not in the World Assembly,

Worried that, due to clause three, member-nations may add compromising information such as religion in an effort to ensure proper burial of fallen soldiers, that will make creative forms of torture or disgraceful burial possible if discovered by hostile or intolerant nations,

Dismaying the fact that combatants taken as prisoners-of-war cannot destroy their military identification tags to protect themselves from the creative forms of torture that may arise from these tags without violating international law,

Considering the fact that clause eight lacks proper protocols for when a military identification tag is considered decommissioned,

Disheartened by the fact that clause eight further forbids the families and friends of fallen or otherwise retired soldiers from repurposing former tags to whatever they see fit for closure,

And believing that these issues only go to show that no one-size-fits-all legislation can cover the issue of military identification tags for all nations adequately,

Hereby repeals GAR#490, "Military Identification Tag Act."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Wed May 27, 2020 6:02 pm

"I knew this would probably happen. Why Mr. Ambassador do you want this legislation repealed?"
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Wed May 27, 2020 6:09 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:"I knew this would probably happen. Why Mr. Ambassador do you want this legislation repealed?"

"I suggest you read the proposal."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

American Pere Housh
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Wed May 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Morover wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:"I knew this would probably happen. Why Mr. Ambassador do you want this legislation repealed?"

"I suggest you read the proposal."

"Ok, How are you going to get this pass the WA when the legislation you want repealed was pass by an overwhelming majority?"
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Wed May 27, 2020 6:32 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:
Morover wrote:"I suggest you read the proposal."

"Ok, How are you going to get this pass the WA when the legislation you want repealed was pass by an overwhelming majority?"

"Margin of passage does not adequately represent chance of repeal - quality does."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

American Pere Housh
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Wed May 27, 2020 6:51 pm

Morover wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:"Ok, How are you going to get this pass the WA when the legislation you want repealed was pass by an overwhelming majority?"

"Margin of passage does not adequately represent chance of repeal - quality does."

"Well we will see how this plays out."

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 pm

"The arguments are very convincing, Ambassador. Picairn would not like its soldiers to be tortured with... creative solutions either. But have you created a replacement?"
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Agualia
Secretary

Founded: Oct 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Agualia » Thu May 28, 2020 5:15 am

Morover wrote:
Noting, however, that information such as that required by the resolution can be detrimental if it falls into the hands of an enemy belligerent

Agualia would like to thank Morover for making this essential resolution to repeal what would be a dangerous resolution for all soldiers including the soldiers of the great nation of Agualia. However, I would like to know, if ever this does pass and the resolution gets repealed; will you work with Alba and Cymru to bring back the resolution but with a well-needed clause stating a solution to the problem stated in the quote above?
Agualia Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeiros de Agualia - Ministère des affaires étrangères de Agualia - Ministero dos Negoçios Extrageiros de Agualia
Ex fortitudine patria
Agualia

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 am

Picairn wrote:"The arguments are very convincing, Ambassador. Picairn would not like its soldiers to be tortured with... creative solutions either. But have you created a replacement?"

Agualia wrote:
Morover wrote:
Noting, however, that information such as that required by the resolution can be detrimental if it falls into the hands of an enemy belligerent

Agualia would like to thank Morover for making this essential resolution to repeal what would be a dangerous resolution for all soldiers including the soldiers of the great nation of Agualia. However, I would like to know, if ever this does pass and the resolution gets repealed; will you work with Alba and Cymru to bring back the resolution but with a well-needed clause stating a solution to the problem stated in the quote above?

(OOC: The following clause from Morover’s proposal addresses your concerns.
Morover wrote:And believing that these issues only go to show that no one-size-fits-all legislation can cover the issue of military identification tags for all nations adequately,

This is a sensible call, as military tags are not, in my opinion, an issue that necessarily needs to be handled by the World Assembly. National governments could do so far more effectively.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu May 28, 2020 9:28 am

OOC:

Kenmoria is correct. Should a replacement be drafted, I will give feedback to it - and I may even lend support if I feel it manages to achieve one-size-fits-all legislation adequately. I simply feel that such legislation cannot be made sufficiently inclusive to all WA Nations.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Thu May 28, 2020 10:49 am

"Barfleur supports this repeal effort. As noble as the proposal is, the delegation from Morover has pointed out several flaws that could very easily lead to the torture or execution of combatants, deliberate acts of disrespect towards the dead, and a lack of closure for grieving families. We will vote to repeal and not to replace."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu May 28, 2020 1:25 pm

OOC:

Barring further feedback, I'm going to try and submit this June 2.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sun May 31, 2020 9:43 am

OOC: This is still planned to be submitted in two majors from now (in approximately 35 hours)
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Sun May 31, 2020 12:49 pm

While it's technically true that the combatants cannot destroy their own id tags, if doing so is necessary for their safety, it should be noted that a private individual will suffer no sanction for breaking WA law in that regard. There is none given, therefore the penalties for noncompliance will only be applied to the member states. To an individual this clause is lex imperfecta, i.e. it is not backed by any meanigful sanction. I don't believe one bit that the soldiers would religiously follow WA law, even when no sanction threatened them for breaking it and actually obeying said law would be a suicide.

Therefore I do not think that the repeal has a satisfying argument on that point. I haven't looked on others though.
Paulus Asteorra

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 31, 2020 1:04 pm

Sancta Romana Ecclesia wrote:While it's technically true that the combatants cannot destroy their own id tags, if doing so is necessary for their safety, it should be noted that a private individual will suffer no sanction for breaking WA law in that regard. There is none given, therefore the penalties for noncompliance will only be applied to the member states. To an individual this clause is lex imperfecta, i.e. it is not backed by any meanigful sanction. I don't believe one bit that the soldiers would religiously follow WA law, even when no sanction threatened them for breaking it and actually obeying said law would be a suicide.

Therefore I do not think that the repeal has a satisfying argument on that point. I haven't looked on others though.

(OOC: Combatants would suffer no penalties from destroying their own ID tags, but member states would face fines if combatants were allowed to destroy their own ID tags. Plausible deniability would only extend so far if multiple soldiers were caught doing so.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sun May 31, 2020 1:12 pm

Sancta Romana Ecclesia wrote:While it's technically true that the combatants cannot destroy their own id tags, if doing so is necessary for their safety, it should be noted that a private individual will suffer no sanction for breaking WA law in that regard. There is none given, therefore the penalties for noncompliance will only be applied to the member states. To an individual this clause is lex imperfecta, i.e. it is not backed by any meanigful sanction. I don't believe one bit that the soldiers would religiously follow WA law, even when no sanction threatened them for breaking it and actually obeying said law would be a suicide.

"The proposed repeal does not say that the individual would suffer a sanction - it says that they would be in violation of international law, which is entirely true. Additionally, I can easily see member-states delegating the fines imposed upon them for their soldiers' destruction of their military identification tag towards the individual that committed the destruction itself, though it's not included in the text of the repeal because it would vary from state to state."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm

Morover wrote:Disheartened by the fact that clause eight further forbids the families and friends of fallen or otherwise retired soldiers from repurposing former tags to whatever they see fit for closure,

"How is this the case? Clause 8 allows for the re-purposing of "the materials in military identification tags." Note that the re-purposing of tags themselves would also count as re-purposing the materials within tags (as the tags now serve a different purpose)."
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sun May 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Astrobolt wrote:
Morover wrote:Disheartened by the fact that clause eight further forbids the families and friends of fallen or otherwise retired soldiers from repurposing former tags to whatever they see fit for closure,

"How is this the case? Clause 8 allows for the re-purposing of "the materials in military identification tags." Note that the re-purposing of tags themselves would also count as re-purposing the materials within tags (as the tags now serve a different purpose)."

“Is allows member nations to do so but makes no such exception for the families or friends of the former soldiers.”
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

WA Kitty Kops
Envoy

Founded: Oct 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby WA Kitty Kops » Sun May 31, 2020 5:10 pm

A dark grey kitten dozing on a desk cracked open one eye and then stretched thoroughly. "You's left out how the soldierrrs don't needs to be even wearing the thingsies," it remarked, "'cause it's not displaceded if it's just not carrrried but is left at home."
The Head Inshpekshuuner looks like a dark grey kitten with yellow eyes and a small white patch on his chest, he's about 4-5 months old. He's much smarter than you could guess from the way he talks.
-- my main nation is Araraukar
NERVUN wrote:And my life flashed in front of my eyes while I did and I honestly expected my computer to explode after I entered the warning.

American Pere Housh
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Sun May 31, 2020 6:16 pm

WA Kitty Kops wrote:A dark grey kitten dozing on a desk cracked open one eye and then stretched thoroughly. "You's left out how the soldierrrs don't needs to be even wearing the thingsies," it remarked, "'cause it's not displaceded if it's just not carrrried but is left at home."

Jonathan stares at the kitten with a shocked look, "Who let the cat in here?"

Mornicoder
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mornicoder » Sun May 31, 2020 7:38 pm

Morover wrote:"While the soon-to-be-resolution would not negatively affect Morover due to our distinct lack of armed forces, we still feel that it would be detrimental to a number of other nations - particularly those fighting against non-member-state belligerents."

The World Assembly,

Noting, however, that information such as that required by the resolution can be detrimental if it falls into the hands of an enemy belligerent,

Worried that, due to clause three, member-nations may add compromising information such as religion in an effort to ensure proper burial of fallen soldiers, that will make creative forms of torture or disgraceful burial possible if discovered by hostile or intolerant nations, especially if those nations are not members of the World Assembly,

Dismaying the fact that combatants taken as prisoners-of-war cannot destroy their military identification tags to protect themselves from the creative forms of torture that may arise from these tags without violating international law,

Considering the fact that clause eight lacks proper protocols for when a military identification tag is considered decommissioned,

Disheartened by the fact that clause eight further forbids the families and friends of fallen or otherwise retired soldiers from repurposing former tags to whatever they see fit for closure,

And believing that these issues only go to show that no one-size-fits-all legislation can cover the issue of military identification tags for all nations adequately,

Hereby repeals GAR#490, "Military Identification Tag Act."

OOC: I see that Stellonia has another draft for repeal up, but I wrote this before I saw it and waited on comments from somebody, so I'm a little behind the game. That being said, however, I don't feel that Stellonia's repeal adequately addresses the problems with the soon-to-be-resolution, so I've decided to proceed with this nonetheless.

This will be submitted in about a week and a half, exact date TBD.

Mornicoder shall vote 'For' for this repeal of the resolution.
-Astoria wrote:♪ It’s the Mickey Mouse Courthouse, come inside; it’s homicide ♫

Rojava Free State wrote:Violence against McDonalds is even more justified because their food sucks ass, their managers are cocksuckers and they're represented by a creepy ass clown.
A 13.42 civilization, according to this index.
Totally not a rickroll

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:02 pm

World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 am

"Best of luck to you, Ambassador!"
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives