NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Repeal: "Ethical Treatment Of Animals In...

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Llorens
Spokesperson

Founded: May 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Llorens » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:43 am

OOC: The GA Secretariat has once again flipped my proposal to Illegal while providing no further explanation. For clarification, I received this comment 2+ days ago, which has not been followed up on, and now Bananaistan has decided to copy-paste Grays Harbor's same explanation for declaring it Illegal without any further comment.
Grays Harbor wrote:(At work now. I’ll go into depth later)

I paid for a stamp telegram to all Delegates on this, it was nearly at quorum after having been in a Legal status for several days, and now this happens without anything being said? I've been as transparent as I could be throughout this whole process, so to see that not reciprocated is a little annoying. At least some clarification would be nice. :/
LLO (@Llo#1475)
Check out all my NSToday articles here!
The Leftist Assembly
Co-founder: Mar 2018—Jul 2021
Discord head admin: Apr 2017—Jan 2021
Secretary: Jun—Dec 2017, Dec 2019—Jun 2020
Prime Minister: Dec 2016—Mar 2017

NationStates Today
Chief Executive Officer: Sep 2019—Feb 2020, Sep 2020—Jan 2021
Chief Content Officer: Mar 2019—Apr 2020, Jan—Apr 2021
Chief Publishing Officer: Feb 2019—Apr 2020
Chairperson: Sep 2019—Mar 2020, Dec 2020—Apr 2021
Editor: Jan 2019—Jun 2021
Daily reminder: You are cute, don't take this too seriously, and eat hot chip.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:46 am

Llorens wrote:OOC: The GA Secretariat has once again flipped my proposal to Illegal while providing no further explanation. For clarification, I received this comment 2+ days ago, which has not been followed up on, and now Bananaistan has decided to copy-paste Grays Harbor's same explanation for declaring it Illegal without any further comment.
Grays Harbor wrote:(At work now. I’ll go into depth later)

I paid for a stamp telegram to all Delegates on this, it was nearly at quorum after having been in a Legal status for several days, and now this happens without anything being said? I've been as transparent as I could be throughout this whole process, so to see that not reciprocated is a little annoying. At least some clarification would be nice. :/

OOC:
Honest mistake. Extinction is already adequately covered by resolution 465

Is this nothing?
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Llorens
Spokesperson

Founded: May 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Llorens » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 am

The New Nordic Union wrote:
Llorens wrote:OOC: The GA Secretariat has once again flipped my proposal to Illegal while providing no further explanation. For clarification, I received this comment 2+ days ago, which has not been followed up on, and now Bananaistan has decided to copy-paste Grays Harbor's same explanation for declaring it Illegal without any further comment.

OOC:
Honest mistake. Extinction is already adequately covered by resolution 465

Is this nothing?

I encourage you to read our previous 'discussion'. Here was my question on it, which I've received no follow up on:

Llorens wrote:I think this misses the point. The resolution I am attempting to repeal explicitly permits the killing of animals at risk of extinction if the animal research institute is unable to provide for it nor can they find another individual or body who can do so. GAR#465 just mandates conservation plans and provides certain rules by which those plans can be suspended - what clause, may I ask, contradicts the point I'm making in this repeal? I don't think I understand the point being made except that it pertains to the same topic.

If I may quote the advice I received from Sierra, who marked it Legal:

"#465 says nothing about lab animals, and if it handled literally everything to do with animals at risk of extinction, then the target resolution (#489) should have been illegal for contradiction"

Honestly, my problem is less so with the fact that it has been marked Illegal as it is that I've not really been provided a reason for it.
LLO (@Llo#1475)
Check out all my NSToday articles here!
The Leftist Assembly
Co-founder: Mar 2018—Jul 2021
Discord head admin: Apr 2017—Jan 2021
Secretary: Jun—Dec 2017, Dec 2019—Jun 2020
Prime Minister: Dec 2016—Mar 2017

NationStates Today
Chief Executive Officer: Sep 2019—Feb 2020, Sep 2020—Jan 2021
Chief Content Officer: Mar 2019—Apr 2020, Jan—Apr 2021
Chief Publishing Officer: Feb 2019—Apr 2020
Chairperson: Sep 2019—Mar 2020, Dec 2020—Apr 2021
Editor: Jan 2019—Jun 2021
Daily reminder: You are cute, don't take this too seriously, and eat hot chip.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:00 am

(OOC: I don’t fully understand the reason for the marked illegality. Although GA #465 does compel member nations to implement conservation plans made by the WAESC, it is presumably the case that the committee would not promulgate regulations that contradict any piece of prior or future legislation.

Therefore, the fact that GA #489 allows member states to kill animals, with no exceptions for if the animal is part of an endangered species, is a legitimate point to address in a repeal. Maybe it’s not a particularly strong point, but I can’t see it going anywhere near to an honest mistake.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 am

OOC: GAR#465, section 2(i) mandates a range of protections based on the risk of extinction of the species, ranging from monitoring for low risk, to outright prohibition of "all possible actions that are likely to negatively impact the at-risk species in any manner" for high risk, "or any level of protection in between".

The target in section 8 could be interpreted as permitting the killing of individual specimens of at risk species where the testing may have fallen within the exception provided for in section 2(c) - "unless in order to aid conservation efforts of the animal species".

However, between the target and GAR#465, I do not believe that the claim in the repeal that animal research institutes are able to kill animal species at risk is true. They might be able to kill individual specimens, even in keeping with the spirit of the target and GAR#465, where the testing was to aid conservation efforts and the species is not at high risk of extinction per GAR#465 but I don't think it's a fair reading to say that the species could be killed, which is the claim in the repeal.

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I don’t fully understand the reason for the marked illegality. Although GA #465 does compel member nations to implement conservation plans made by the WAESC, it is presumably the case that the committee would not promulgate regulations that contradict any piece of prior or future legislation.

Therefore, the fact that GA #489 allows member states to kill animals, with no exceptions for if the animal is part of an endangered species, is a legitimate point to address in a repeal. Maybe it’s not a particularly strong point, but I can’t see it going anywhere near to an honest mistake.)

Minor point here, not directly related to the proposed repeal's legality. In respect of high risk species, the plan by WAESC under GAR#465 can prevent all possible actions. One would imagine that this would include any killing of individual specimens. I would imagine that the committee would not change their policies merely because a later resolution says that such animals can be experimented on.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Previous

Return to General Assembly