NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Global Reparations Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 09, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] The Global Reparations Act

Postby Adriatican » Thu May 14, 2020 8:05 pm

THE GLOBAL REPARATIONS ACT
CATEGORY: SOCIAL JUSTICE | STRENGTH: SIGNIFICANT
WHEREAS, the international histories of the Members of the World Assembly are ones uniquely entwined with injustices and inequalities, current and former;

WHEREAS, the Members of the World Assembly have codified their outrage towards fellow Members who still perpetuate these historical injustices in the modern era, via condemnations issued by the most esteemed Security Council, and have outlawed outlawing many of them the very same in Resolutions emanating from the Chamber of the General Assembly;

NOTING, that, despite the robust legislative reformation undertaken by the World Assembly, injustices committed have not been paid for;

ASSERTING, that, until which time the international community, as represented by the World Assembly, does so pay for these crimes, inflictions, and injustices, any reforms and rebukes delivered, will be hallowed justice;

AS SUCH, the World Assembly does hereby establish the following institution, mechanisms, and mandates, in a full throated effort to finally serve payment for wrongdoing, present and former;

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY, hereby establishes the General Fund for Reparations, hereafter referred to as "the Fund";

ALL MEMBER NATIONS, shall contribute to the Fund, every year, in an amount deemed appropriate by the Member Nations so donating, so long as said amount is no less than the equivalent of one (1) percent of the donor nation's nominal GDP;

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY, so establishes the General Fund for Reparations Board of Governors who shall, as a Board of nine (9) members, be so charged with determining who should receive a disbursement from the Fund, and in what amount, in addition to the general oversight and administration of the institution as a whole. All other aspects of the Fund and its Board of Governors shall be determined by the World Assembly;

MAY IT BE KNOWN, that this Resolution shall not circumvent or supersede complementary or like legislation which may exist, or which may be made, in a stricter or more comprehensive fashion than the Resolution presented here;

IT IS SO RESOLVED.

*Plesse note: edits made to the original Draft of this Resolution are presented in red, via strikes, or both*
Last edited by Adriatican on Thu May 14, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
First and Third Prime Minister of the IFC
Fmr. Chair, and current Commissioner of ISEC (a W.A organization)
Member of the Board of Directors of the Bank of Yohannes
Lazarene Ambassador to the South Pacific and Europeia

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Thu May 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Heillandia wrote:lol eat a bag of d***s

Charmingly constructive.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu May 14, 2020 8:35 pm

The Security Council does not exist, as per Gruenberg vs Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act." That is immaterial, however, when you consider that I do not have a fucking clue as to what this resolution does. You're putting an unknown amount of money in the hands of nine gnomes on a committee (hint: you can't say how many gnomes are on your committee) and asking them to redistribute unknown amounts of that unknown amount of money to unknown nations for unknown purposes?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Final Universal Order
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Final Universal Order » Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 pm

And why should leader be forced to raise taxes for countries we have no responsibility towards. The Final Universal Order will dole out foreign aid when imperialists vote for it.

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Tinhampton wrote:The Security Council does not exist, as per Gruenberg vs Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act." That is immaterial, however, when you consider that I do not have a fucking clue as to what this resolution does. You're putting an unknown amount of money in the hands of nine gnomes on a committee (hint: you can't say how many gnomes are on your committee) and asking them to redistribute unknown amounts of that unknown amount of money to unknown nations for unknown purposes?

The Security Council doesn't exist?

See, I felt like this might've been the case, so I can take that out.

Same with the number of gnomes.

As for what the resolution does, it's a mechanism for paying Reparations, in this case, monetary payments, garnered from donations from all nations in the W.A (in an amount determined by the donating nation), in an effort to make amends for historical and present injustices and atrocities committed by Member Nations present and former, on particular groups.

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Thu May 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Final Universal Order wrote:And why should leader be forced to raise taxes for countries we have no responsibility towards. The Final Universal Order will dole out foreign aid when imperialists vote for it.

I mean, feel free to vote against it, but I'm looking for collaboration on legalities, etc.

Alraibris
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Alraibris » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 pm

The Imperial Ambassador clears his throat and pulls the microphone at his station down, beginning to speak into it, "So it says a Member State MUST donate, but why should we? IT seems like all this does is create a Committee and has no real teeth, not to mention that this is a completely unnecessary resolution. Or what, if by a nation's laws, should they pass something that would be considered an Amendment within their national laws that makes it so that they shall donate $0.05 yearly?"
Imperial Delegate to the World Assembly: Mr. Antuan D. Flaberghast
Colony of The Shazbotdom Empire +6,450 from Jolt
Factbook + Q&A || Embassies v6.0 || ShazWeb || IIWiki
TWITTER/INSTAGRAM: TheShazMan999 || Fair Debates
DOES NOT MAINTAIN TELEGRAM BOX FOR THIS NATION!

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Alraibris wrote:The Imperial Ambassador clears his throat and pulls the microphone at his station down, beginning to speak into it, "So it says a Member State MUST donate, but why should we? IT seems like all this does is create a Committee and has no real teeth, not to mention that this is a completely unnecessary resolution. Or what, if by a nation's laws, should they pass something that would be considered an Amendment within their national laws that makes it so that they shall donate $0.05 yearly?"

The Adriari Ambassador pulls her microphone closer, "The Gentleman presents a fine point, the legislative draft shall be adjusted forthwith."

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Fri May 15, 2020 1:16 am

No. Just no!

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 1:23 am

The Palentine wrote:No. Just no!

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

Why's that?

Alraibris
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Alraibris » Fri May 15, 2020 1:28 am

Adriatican wrote:

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

Why's that?

Antuan shakes his head and then speaks into his microphone, "Probably because, like many of us, we feel that we should not be forced to pay into a fund for 'reparations' for things that we, in the history of our nations, have never done. I do know that the Empire will never pay into a fund to pay reparations for injustices. If this ever gets to a vote, I will be voting against it."
Imperial Delegate to the World Assembly: Mr. Antuan D. Flaberghast
Colony of The Shazbotdom Empire +6,450 from Jolt
Factbook + Q&A || Embassies v6.0 || ShazWeb || IIWiki
TWITTER/INSTAGRAM: TheShazMan999 || Fair Debates
DOES NOT MAINTAIN TELEGRAM BOX FOR THIS NATION!

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Fri May 15, 2020 2:07 am

Adriatican wrote:

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

Why's that?

This might come as a suprise(and shock) to you, since I'm guessing you're of the progressive and fluffy political persuation, but I feel no guilt or responsibility for anything my ancestors or my nation may have committed in the long past. I have enough guilt for sins and wrongs I have personally committed, than to stew over what Great Great Great Grandpa George may or may have not done to some benighted savage long ago. I certainly don't give a rat's ass what somebody else's ancestor or nation have done in the past either.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Fri May 15, 2020 2:32 am

OOC: A question:
How does committe choose what groups are to be payed these reparations?
I mean a lot of different kinds of groups can can face oppression: ethnic minorities, racial minorities, sexual minorities, national minorities, socio-economoc classes (aka the poor),the mentally handicapped etc. More over a single person can belong to more than one group, in which case, do they get more reperations?

Why so much red in there?

How does the committee choose who gets these reperations?
I mean paying a rich guy tons of money just cause he happens to be part of an once oppresed group seems awfully dumb... esepcially since he might not even understand what his ancestors had to face....
Last edited by Ardiveds on Fri May 15, 2020 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri May 15, 2020 2:34 am

(OOC: This proposal would be divisive in the real-world, let alone in a multiversal alliance. I suggest pursuing different ideas.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 2:58 am

Ardiveds wrote:OOC: A question:
How does committe choose what groups are to be payed these reparations?
I mean a lot of different kinds of groups can can face oppression: ethnic minorities, racial minorities, sexual minorities, national minorities, socio-economoc classes (aka the poor),the mentally handicapped etc. More over a single person can belong to more than one group, in which case, do they get more reperations?

Why so much red in there?

How does the committee choose who gets these reperations?
I mean paying a rich guy tons of money just cause he happens to be part of an once oppresed group seems awfully dumb... esepcially since he might not even understand what his ancestors had to face....

The following answers your entire question portfolio; it is my impression that existing rules prevent me from establishing the committee's operative procedures. I can't even say how many people get to even BE on the Board, let alone how the Board disburses funds. I totally would do all that if I could, but I apparently can't.

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 2:59 am

The Palentine wrote:
Adriatican wrote:
Why's that?

This might come as a suprise(and shock) to you, since I'm guessing you're of the progressive and fluffy political persuation, but I feel no guilt or responsibility for anything my ancestors or my nation may have committed in the long past. I have enough guilt for sins and wrongs I have personally committed, than to stew over what Great Great Great Grandpa George may or may have not done to some benighted savage long ago. I certainly don't give a rat's ass what somebody else's ancestor or nation have done in the past either.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

Then there you go.

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 3:01 am

Alraibris wrote:
Adriatican wrote:
Why's that?

Antuan shakes his head and then speaks into his microphone, "Probably because, like many of us, we feel that we should not be forced to pay into a fund for 'reparations' for things that we, in the history of our nations, have never done. I do know that the Empire will never pay into a fund to pay reparations for injustices. If this ever gets to a vote, I will be voting against it."

That may be your assessment, but it is not mine. I will be moving forward with the Proposal regardless of this.

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 3:02 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: This proposal would be divisive in the real-world, let alone in a multiversal alliance. I suggest pursuing different ideas.)

If the only things pursued were issues that weren't divisive then the W.A wouldn't have a legislative record.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 am

Adriatican wrote:
Alraibris wrote:

That may be your assessment, but it is not mine. I will be moving forward with the Proposal regardless of this.

"Damn the widespread opposition, full speed ahead!" :facepalm:

Adriatican wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: This proposal would be divisive in the real-world, let alone in a multiversal alliance. I suggest pursuing different ideas.)

If the only things pursued were issues that weren't divisive then the W.A wouldn't have a legislative record.

Everybody agrees that torture and genocide are bad and the WA has legislated on those matters. ;)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 3:20 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Adriatican wrote:

"Damn the widespread opposition, full speed ahead!" :facepalm:

Adriatican wrote:

Everybody agrees that torture and genocide are bad and the WA has legislated on those matters. ;)

"Widespread" = the 4 people on this thread

Indeed torture and genocide HAVE been legislated on, but previous experience does not a future make.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri May 15, 2020 3:30 am

MAY IT BE KNOWN, that this Resolution shall not circumvent or supersede complementary or like legislation which may exist, or which may be made, in a stricter or more comprehensive fashion than the Resolution presented here;

Get rid of this. It makes no difference how your cute little disclaimer is worded, it can not and will not ever be sufficient to circumvent the rules. Ever.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 3:34 am

Grays Harbor wrote:

Get rid of this. It makes no difference how your cute little disclaimer is worded, it can not and will not ever be sufficient to circumvent the rules. Ever.

It's not meant for such. If you read as much, you'd see it was meant for commentary resolutions.

Also, don't command me to do anything.
Last edited by Adriatican on Fri May 15, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 15, 2020 3:39 am

Adriatican wrote:Also, don't command me to do anything.

Grays Harbor - contrary to popular belief - is not some random newbie with eight posts. He is a very well-respected member of the General Assembly community who has risen to become a member of the GA Secretariat, which rules on the legality of proposals. If you do not listen to his advice on proposal legality (on any occasion, not just this one), you run the risk of having your proposal declared illegal, which means that it cannot become a piece of international law.

Adriatican wrote:"Widespread" = the 4 people on this thread

A sense of scale: Nobody else on this thread supports your proposal. Opinions on the forum are often a good barometer of how popular a proposal will be.

Adriatican
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adriatican » Fri May 15, 2020 3:43 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Adriatican wrote:Also, don't command me to do anything.

Grays Harbor - contrary to popular belief - is not some random newbie with eight posts. He is a very well-respected member of the General Assembly community who has risen to become a member of the GA Secretariat, which rules on the legality of proposals. If you do not listen to his advice on proposal legality (on any occasion, not just this one), you run the risk of having your proposal declared illegal, which means that it cannot become a piece of international law.

Adriatican wrote:"Widespread" = the 4 people on this thread

A sense of scale: Nobody else on this thread supports your proposal. Opinions on the forum are often a good barometer of how popular a proposal will be.

Okay then. It's gone. I just hope you know how massively counterproductive this so-called collaboration process is.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri May 15, 2020 3:45 am

Also, this contradicts Resolution 17, WA General Fund

1. Declares that the World Assembly shall be funded by donations from member states; the WA will not levy taxes directly upon the citizens or residents of any nation;

2. Establishes the WA General Fund, which shall be the central source for the funding of WA operations, and the monies from which shall be spent only on maintaining the administration of the WA and missions established by a vote of the World Assembly;

3. Establishes the WA General Accounting Office (GAO), to collect donations to the General Fund, calculate available and projected funds for each fiscal year, publish an annual budget for the World Assembly, and certify that all appropriations therein are disbursed and utilized in a responsible manner;

4. Provides that national donations to the General Fund shall be assessed annually by the GAO, according to donors' national wealth and ability to give;
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly