NATION

PASSWORD

DOMA

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
ForwardPlus
Political Columnist

Founded: May 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

DOMA

Postby ForwardPlus » Sat May 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat May 09, 2020 3:38 pm

If enacted Same-Sex marriage will become illegal in all of NationStates and civil unions will be the norm for Same-Sex couples.

(OOC: Welcome to the General Assembly. This proposal is illegal for contradiction of Defending the Rights of Sexual and Gender Minorities, which guarantees equal marriage rights for people of all sexualities and genders. In future, it is strongly recommended to draft proposals on this form before submitting them. That way, people who are experienced with the GA can provide feedback.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

ForwardPlus
Political Columnist

Founded: May 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby ForwardPlus » Sat May 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
If enacted Same-Sex marriage will become illegal in all of NationStates and civil unions will be the norm for Same-Sex couples.

(OOC: Welcome to the General Assembly. This proposal is illegal for contradiction of Defending the Rights of Sexual and Gender Minorities, which guarantees equal marriage rights for people of all sexualities and genders. In future, it is strongly recommended to draft proposals on this form before submitting them. That way, people who are experienced with the GA can provide feedback.)

Alright, I updated with a repeal of the act would that make it legal?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat May 09, 2020 3:53 pm

ForwardPlus wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:

Alright, I updated with a repeal of the act would that make it legal?

(OOC: If you were to successfully repeal Defending the Rights of Sexual and Gender Minorities, then this proposal wouldn't be illegal for contradicting that particular resolution. However, there are still other issues.

Firstly, you can’t mention ‘NationStates’ in a proposal. The legislation is all written in-character as though actual nations were following it, and ‘NationStates’ as a game doesn’t exist. Secondly, the Charter of Civil Rights bans discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, along with discrimination generally. There’s more wiggle room with that piece of legislation, but it’s still a concern.

Also, repealing Defending the Rights of Sexual and Gender Minorities will be incredibly hard, since it doesn’t really have many flaws. The GA as a body is committed, in numerous resolutions, to upholding the rights of LGBT+ people. Unless you find a gaping hole in the resolution, a repeal probably won’t work.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Return to General Assembly