NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal GA#37 (Fairness in Criminal Trials)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun May 10, 2020 11:10 am

OOC: How is the stuff regarding " governmental or charitable mechanisms" not an HM?

Two sections above the "governmental or charitable mechanisms" is a clause which states "INSISTS that the accused be permitted expert representation by a professional versed in the area of law concerned". If there's no charitable mechanism and the government doesn't step in, then there can be no trial and there's no problem: no trial and no compromised right to counsel.

Edit: Also, the singular other argument is poor. What exactly is the problem with military trials that the target blocks?
Last edited by Bananaistan on Sun May 10, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Sun May 10, 2020 11:57 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: How is the stuff regarding " governmental or charitable mechanisms" not an HM?

Two sections above the "governmental or charitable mechanisms" is a clause which states "INSISTS that the accused be permitted expert representation by a professional versed in the area of law concerned". If there's no charitable mechanism and the government doesn't step in, then there can be no trial and there's no problem: no trial and no compromised right to counsel.

Edit: Also, the singular other argument is poor. What exactly is the problem with military trials that the target blocks?

OOC: I interpreted the line from GA #37 narrowly, as simply precluding the government from preventing the defendant to retain counsel.

The system of military justice that at least one nation uses is a three-tiered system, of which the lowest level, summary court martial, does not obligate the government to provide counsel.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Previous

Return to General Assembly