NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal GA#37 (Fairness in Criminal Trials)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Repeal GA#37 (Fairness in Criminal Trials)

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Thu May 07, 2020 7:09 pm

APPLAUDING the noble intention of GA #37 in establishing the right to a fair trial and ancillary rights.

NOTING the need for the maintenance of good order and discipline in the military requires a different set of rights be afforded to defendants than in the system of civilian justice.

CONCERNED that GA #37 makes no distinction between military and civilian justice nor exceptions for extraordinary circumstances such as the imposition of martial law.

HORRIFIED that GA #37 does not require the provision of government-funded public defender services, instead only mandating "governmental or charitable mechanisms."

RECOGNIZING that just privately-operated charitable services may prove insufficient to provide counsel free of charge to all those financially incapable of retaining legal assistance.

CONVINCED that charitable services should only supplement government-provided public defender services.

NOTING that the universal right to counsel is may be compromised if a nation does not set up government-funded public defender services, which GA #37 does not mandate.

RECOMMENDING a replacement resolution be passed remedying these issues.

HEREBY repeals GA #37.

This is my first WA proposal; I welcome any criticism or suggestions you guys have!

Edits:

Following line struck: BELIEVING that abrogation of certain civil rights such as the right to a fair trial may be necessary in certain times of general civil disorder or threats to national sovereignty or territorial integrity such as periods of rebellion or invasion.
Last edited by Conservative Republic Of Huang on Sun May 10, 2020 11:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Fri May 08, 2020 7:59 am

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:BELIEVING that abrogation of certain civil rights such as the right to a fair trial is necessary in certain times of general civil disorder or threats to national sovereignty or territorial integrity such as periods of rebellion or invasion.

:eyebrow: What would the alternative be? Execute without a trial? Release without a trial?
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Fri May 08, 2020 11:32 am

Barfleur wrote:
Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:BELIEVING that abrogation of certain civil rights such as the right to a fair trial is necessary in certain times of general civil disorder or threats to national sovereignty or territorial integrity such as periods of rebellion or invasion.

:eyebrow: What would the alternative be? Execute without a trial? Release without a trial?

Usually indefinite detention. For example, in the US Civil War, Confederate sympathizers were often detained without charge for extended periods of time, and habeas corpus was also suspended in some areas of the South in Reconstruction to stamp out the KKK.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
Transparency

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:Usually indefinite detention. For example, in the US Civil War, Confederate sympathizers were often detained without charge for extended periods of time

OOC: So why do you want to remove one of the resolutions that makes that impossible?
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri May 08, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri May 08, 2020 1:40 pm

A writ of habeas corpus isn't touched on in GA 37; that's why we have Habeas Corpus (viewtopic.php?p=9653153#p9653153).

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Fri May 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:A writ of habeas corpus isn't touched on in GA 37; that's why we have Habeas Corpus (viewtopic.php?p=9653153#p9653153).

I know-I'm just pointing out cases in which indefinite detention was used as a tool to suppress civil unrest.

Transparency

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Fri May 08, 2020 2:48 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:Usually indefinite detention. For example, in the US Civil War, Confederate sympathizers were often detained without charge for extended periods of time

OOC: So why do you want to remove one of the resolutions that makes that impossible?

My point is that the abrogation of the right to a fair trial is at times necessary in the course of military conflict.

Transparency

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Fri May 08, 2020 4:27 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: So why do you want to remove one of the resolutions that makes that impossible?

My point is that the abrogation of the right to a fair trial is at times necessary in the course of military conflict.

As someone who grew up in one of the boarder states where this happened, I can tell you over 160 years ago it still gets talked about almost exclusively as a stain on Lincoln’s Presidential record. Lincoln violated the Constitution on this matter. Rights are not suspended in hardship because they are not the government’s’s to Suspended at will.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Fri May 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Liberimery wrote:
Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:My point is that the abrogation of the right to a fair trial is at times necessary in the course of military conflict.

As someone who grew up in one of the boarder states where this happened, I can tell you over 160 years ago it still gets talked about almost exclusively as a stain on Lincoln’s Presidential record. Lincoln violated the Constitution on this matter. Rights are not suspended in hardship because they are not the government’s’s to Suspended at will.

The Constitution explicitly provides for the suspension of habeas corpus in times of "rebellion or invasion." What Lincoln did was indeed ruled unconstitutional, but only because he had not gotten congressional approval, since Congress could not be called into session because of the genuine military threat to DC at the time. Congress later did approve a bill absolving Lincoln and his subordinates of legal responsibility and approving the suspension of habeas corpus.

Another example of a time in which certain rights were rightly suspended was Defense Regulation 18B, allowing for the indefinite internment of Oswald Mosely, leader of the British Union of Fascists during WWII, who despite his fascist agitation didn't actually do anything that he could be charged for, and allowed for easier internment of elements of the IRA who launched a sabotage campaign.

The point is, no exceptions at all is impractical. Nations should have some discretion to suspend certain rights when absolutely necessary.
Last edited by Conservative Republic Of Huang on Fri May 08, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transparency

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri May 08, 2020 6:25 pm

OOC: What happened in the American Civil War is, at best, tenuously related to GAR#37. Let us not deviate into the land of General.

Araraukar wrote:OOC: So why do you want to remove one of the resolutions that makes that impossible?

"It may be useful, ambassador. But it is not necessary."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Fri May 08, 2020 7:55 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: What happened in the American Civil War is, at best, tenuously related to GAR#37. Let us not deviate into the land of General.

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:My point is that the abrogation of the right to a fair trial is at times necessary in the course of military conflict.

"It may be useful, ambassador. But it is not necessary."

The controversial line has been struck.

Transparency

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Sat May 09, 2020 7:09 am

"Yeah but no Mr. Ambassador. This proposal would never pass a WA vote. It is enshrined in our Constitution that Sapient Being whether human or non human have a right to a fair and impartial trial. You won't get support from the Galactic Republic."
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Sat May 09, 2020 11:21 am

American Pere Housh wrote:"Yeah but no Mr. Ambassador. This proposal would never pass a WA vote. It is enshrined in our Constitution that Sapient Being whether human or non human have a right to a fair and impartial trial. You won't get support from the Galactic Republic."

APPLAUDING the noble intention of GA #37 in establishing the right to a fair trial and ancillary rights.
RECOMMENDING a replacement resolution be passed remedying these issues.

Transparency

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat May 09, 2020 1:07 pm

“You have two arguments here. The first of these I simply do not accept on a personal level; justice is not something that ought to occur when it is convenient, and criminal trials should not be made unfair in any circumstances.

The second is based around a lack of guarantee in GA #37 to governmental services. Here, I do not see the issue. If charitable services are unable to provide for individuals in a member state, then the government must step in. This seems to be a very workable system. For a proposal to mandate either a governmental or charitable system would be micromanagement.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Sat May 09, 2020 2:04 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“You have two arguments here. The first of these I simply do not accept on a personal level; justice is not something that ought to occur when it is convenient, and criminal trials should not be made unfair in any circumstances.

The second is based around a lack of guarantee in GA #37 to governmental services. Here, I do not see the issue. If charitable services are unable to provide for individuals in a member state, then the government must step in. This seems to be a very workable system. For a proposal to mandate either a governmental or charitable system would be micromanagement.”

The original line from GA #37 is "FURTHER INSISTS that governmental or charitable mechanisms be set up to provide such representation to those accused otherwise unable to afford it," the only implicit reference to the universal right to counsel in the resolution. As the line is, nations have no obligation to step in even if charitable mechanisms are insufficient, essentially a loophole to get out of ensuring universal right to counsel.
Last edited by Conservative Republic Of Huang on Sat May 09, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transparency

Daves Computer
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm

OOC: This a great start. However, I only think this repeal has a chance of passing if a sufficient replacement bill is proposed. Otherwise, many of GAR#37's achievements such as offering necessary accommodations to the accused such as translators and requiring competent officials to lead trials may go unprotected for a long time. Unless there is a quick repeal and replace that offers the protections of GAR#37 and rectifies the issues you assert in the repeal, I highly doubt this repeal will make it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat May 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“You have two arguments here. The first of these I simply do not accept on a personal level; justice is not something that ought to occur when it is convenient, and criminal trials should not be made unfair in any circumstances.

The original line from GA #37 is "FURTHER INSISTS that governmental or charitable mechanisms be set up to provide such representation to those accused otherwise unable to afford it," the only implicit reference to the universal right to counsel in the resolution. As the line is, nations have no obligation to step in even if charitable mechanisms are insufficient, essentially a loophole to get out of ensuring universal right to counsel.

(OOC: I read that clause as meaning that the accused must be provided representation if unable to afford it, either through governmental or through charitable means. However, your interpretation does also seem reasonable, where it is possible for only charitable mechanisms to be in place and therefore for a defendant to be provided with no legal representation.

In this case, I do not see a repeal as being the correct answer. In a case where there is a gap in legislation, the most appropriate response is to fill that gap with a resolution, which can be done without needing a repeal.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sat May 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC: I read that clause as meaning that the accused must be provided representation if unable to afford it, either through governmental or through charitable means. However, your interpretation does also seem reasonable, where it is possible for only charitable mechanisms to be in place and therefore for a defendant to be provided with no legal representation.

In this case, I do not see a repeal as being the correct answer. In a case where there is a gap in legislation, the most appropriate response is to fill that gap with a resolution, which can be done without needing a repeal.)

OOC: Out of curiosity, how favorable has the WA been to people making legislation that aims specifically to fill small gaps in prior proposals? Would people rather see a repeal and replace, or does the WA tend lean towards people making proposals that, while may be small or insignificant on their own, can fill in these gaps without conflicting with the house of cards rule?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 10, 2020 2:07 am

Daves Computer wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I read that clause as meaning that the accused must be provided representation if unable to afford it, either through governmental or through charitable means. However, your interpretation does also seem reasonable, where it is possible for only charitable mechanisms to be in place and therefore for a defendant to be provided with no legal representation.

OOC: Out of curiosity, how favorable has the WA been to people making legislation that aims specifically to fill small gaps in prior proposals? Would people rather see a repeal and replace, or does the WA tend lean towards people making proposals that, while may be small or insignificant on their own, can fill in these gaps without conflicting with the house of cards rule?

(OOC: I’ve seen both happen with varying amounts of success, but the general feeling is that unnecessary proposals don’t really need to be created. If a topic can be accurately legislated on with just one proposal to fill a loophole, then there isn’t much need for a repeal to take place. Repeals do still happen in this circumstance, especially if the prior resolution would be awkward to avoid, but a separate piece of legislation works just as well, if not better.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sun May 10, 2020 6:38 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Daves Computer wrote:OOC: Out of curiosity, how favorable has the WA been to people making legislation that aims specifically to fill small gaps in prior proposals? Would people rather see a repeal and replace, or does the WA tend lean towards people making proposals that, while may be small or insignificant on their own, can fill in these gaps without conflicting with the house of cards rule?

(OOC: I’ve seen both happen with varying amounts of success, but the general feeling is that unnecessary proposals don’t really need to be created. If a topic can be accurately legislated on with just one proposal to fill a loophole, then there isn’t much need for a repeal to take place. Repeals do still happen in this circumstance, especially if the prior resolution would be awkward to avoid, but a separate piece of legislation works just as well, if not better.)

OOC: Cool, thank you. Definitely something to remember for future instances. :¬)

Stellonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 am

"Is there a replacement proposal?"

Daves Computer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sun May 10, 2020 9:06 am

Stellonia wrote:"Is there a replacement proposal?"

OOC: As of right now, there is no replacement. The author is, however, recommending in his proposal that someone else step in to write one. Because we don't presently have a replacement lined up, this means we'll be left without a proper replacement indefinitely if this repeal were to pass.

Stellonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Sun May 10, 2020 9:08 am

Daves Computer wrote:
Stellonia wrote:"Is there a replacement proposal?"

OOC: As of right now, there is no replacement. The author is, however, recommending in his proposal that someone else step in to write one. Because we don't presently have a replacement lined up, this means we'll be left without a proper replacement indefinitely if this repeal were to pass.

OOC: I could work on a proposal then. I should have a first draft within the next hour.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sun May 10, 2020 9:13 am

Stellonia wrote:
Daves Computer wrote:OOC: As of right now, there is no replacement. The author is, however, recommending in his proposal that someone else step in to write one. Because we don't presently have a replacement lined up, this means we'll be left without a proper replacement indefinitely if this repeal were to pass.

OOC: I could work on a proposal then. I should have a first draft within the next hour.

OOC: I believe the only point of contention with GAR#37 is the level of charitable services member states are required to offer to the accused. Like Kenmoria said, determining specifics like that might infringe on micromanagement of nations. But if it is your prerogative to rectify what the author of the repeal finds issue with, it might be best to do as Kenmoria advises and, "when there is a gap in legislation, the most appropriate response is to fill that gap with a resolution, which can be done without needing a repeal."

Stellonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 am

Daves Computer wrote:
Stellonia wrote:OOC: I could work on a proposal then. I should have a first draft within the next hour.

OOC: I believe the only point of contention with GAR#37 is the level of charitable services member states are required to offer to the accused. Like Kenmoria said, determining specifics like that might infringe on micromanagement of nations. But if it is your prerogative to rectify what the author of the repeal finds issue with, it might be best to do as Kenmoria advises and, "when there is a gap in legislation, the most appropriate response is to fill that gap with a resolution, which can be done without needing a repeal."

OOC: I have written a proposal to outright replace GA#37, but I might write a narrower proposal that builds upon GA#37 as well.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly