NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Proposal to Mandate Nudity in Member States

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Wanarpu
Secretary

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Proposal to Mandate Nudity in Member States

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 3:27 pm

PROPOSAL IS NOW TO LEGALIZE, RATHER THAN MANDATE, NUDITY

World Assembly,

Realizing the social stigmas that arise from judgements upon individual clothing choices,

Staying aware that clothes are often used as a mechanism for victim blaming in cases of assault and rape,

Recognizing that buying clothing can be a significant cost incursion on low income families,

Reaffirming that most clothes are produced through exploitative and underpaid labor, which in turn can have severe negative economic repercussions,

Reiterating that clothes are often used as a way to buttress social inequalities and class structure

Acknowledging that the natural resources for clothes take a large toll on the environment and are a considerable factor in water scarcity

Making note that clothing is unnatural by design and is not a necessary part of human evolutionary design,

Noting the importance of body positivity and the scientifically backed fact that nudity in social settings can promote it,

Seeking to clarify that nudity is not inherently sexual and normalizing it can lead to lower levels of objectification, sexualization and fetishization of certain groups of peoples,

I. Defines, for the purpose of this legislation,
a. ‘nudity’ as an absence of any worn clothing with exception to footwear, headwear, accessories or assistive articles for people with disabilities
b. ‘public lewdness’ as any sexual act in public, including signs of arousal,
II. Mandates member nations to legalize nudity for citizens,
III. Mandates member nations to continue the criminalization of public lewdness,
V. Suggests that member nations begin body positivity campaigns and advocate for nudity as a solution to issues surrounding body positivity,
VI. Recommends that member nations require that workers in fields where nudity is an impracticality or a certain attire is required disallow those workers from attending their places of employment nude,

Edit: Operative clauses were re-drafted
Last edited by Wanarpu on Wed May 06, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Wed May 06, 2020 3:33 pm

String of profanities in the background from our leader
“We vehemently oppose this resolution. Much of our culture is centered around our armor, and this resolution would force us to ban wearing it. Under no circumstances will we support this resolution.”
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 3:41 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:String of profanities in the background from our leader
“We vehemently oppose this resolution. Much of our culture is centered around our armor, and this resolution would force us to ban wearing it. Under no circumstances will we support this resolution.”

would we gain your support if there was a cultural wear exception clause

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed May 06, 2020 3:42 pm

OOC: Joke proposals go here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=255807
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Wanarpu wrote:

In that case, I think you would see lots of nations proclaiming T-shirts and jeans to be “cultural wear.” I don’t see this proposal receiving enough support to pass, even with that loophole.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Monsone
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Wed May 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Wanarpu wrote:

In that case, I think you would see lots of nations proclaiming T-shirts and jeans to be “cultural wear.” I don’t see this proposal receiving enough support to pass, even with that loophole.

Not just that. The strict lewd laws would be unfollowable along with the amount of bodyshaming that might occur if this was actually enforced. And frankly the cultural provision is a bad idea not only because of what Kathol Rift said, but because countries may actually turn to their culturaly significant clothes and just wear them no matter how uncomfortable they are because sometimes nudity won't work in freezing weather.
Last edited by Monsone on Wed May 06, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 3:55 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Joke proposals go here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=255807

not a joke proposal

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed May 06, 2020 3:56 pm

HIGHWAY TO THE SAFETY ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNEEE
Wanarpu wrote:The World Assembly,

Realizing the social stigmas that arise from judgements upon individual clothing choices, And you propose to eliminate this stigma by forcing a one-size-fits-nobody-except-your-WA-ambassador solution upon the entire multiverse?

Staying aware that clothes are often used as a mechanism for victim blaming in cases of assault and rape I would assume that this would be illegal under GA#240's ban on clothing being referred to as "sexually provocative;" even then, lumping in ridiculously tight and showy clothing with an Inuit's fur coat is completely inappropriate,

Recognizing that buying clothing can be a significant cost incursion on low income families, Walmart exists.

Reaffirming that most clothes are produced through exploitative and underpaid labor Somewhat agreed - at least in relative Western terms, which in turn can have severe negative economic repercussions For whom? The "sweatshoppers" making the clothes do at least get at least as much money - if not more - than they would get without employment, while consumers like you and me are able to buy clothes at cheaper prices than ever before,

Reiterating that clothes are often used as a way to buttress social inequalities and class structure How?

Acknowledging that the natural resources for clothes take a large toll on the environment and are a considerable factor in water scarcity Agreed, but not a good reason to require nudity or even discourage the reuse of clothing.

Making note that clothing is unnatural by design and is not a necessary part of human evolutionary design, The computer I'm typing this on is unnatural and unnecessary for evolution. Should we ban that as well?

Noting the importance of body positivity Says who? What is "body positivity" and what does it entail? and the scientifically backed fact Since when has "science" confirmed anything about people's social reaction to "body positivity" - except maybe neuroscience or gasp psychology? that nudity in social settings can promote it Who says?,

Seeking to clarify that nudity is not inherently sexual and normalizing it You mean foisting it upon everybody in the WA... can lead to lower levels of objectification, sexualization and fetishization of certain groups of WA enforcement gnome?

a. ‘nudity’ as an absence of any worn clothing So if I just sellotape my clothes onto my front and back as appropriate, I'm not wearing it? with exception to footwear, headwear, accessories or assistive articles What explains the exceptions?,
II. Mandated member nations to ban the act of wearing clothes All of them, including the exempted items in Article Ia?
III. Requires member nations to legalize and enforce nudity Legalising nudity I can completely understand; enforcing it, however, is both unfeasible - especially in private - and something I am opposed to on the basis of individual freedom of choice.
IV. Mandates member nations to continue the criminalization of public lewdness You imply that all member states have already criminalised public displays of sexuality.
V. Suggests that member nations begin body positivity campaigns Dove does a perfectly good job at this in the real world, much more so than any government could possibly wish
VI. Allows member nations to allow clothes to be worn on certain national or cultural holidays if they so wish If this passes, every day in Tinhampton will be deemed a day of celebration of Tinhampton's great culture and great people, by Mayoral edict. So there!
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Monsone wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:In that case, I think you would see lots of nations proclaiming T-shirts and jeans to be “cultural wear.” I don’t see this proposal receiving enough support to pass, even with that loophole.

Not just that. The strict lewd laws would be unfollowable along with the amount of bodyshaming that might occur if this was actually enforced. And frankly the cultural provision is a bad idea not only because of what Kathol Rift said, but because countries may actually turn to their culturaly significant clothes and just wear them no matter how uncomfortable they are because sometimes nudity won't work in freezing weather.

I’d argue that body shaming would go down bcs a lot of body shaming stems from sexualization of the body and cultural norms for body shape. If the variety of body types becomes obviously abundant and the body is desexualized through normalization, the shaming would go down too.

That said, how would you suggest revising the cultural wear idea? do we have the idea only apply in weather and climate where nudity would be viable?

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Tinhampton wrote:HIGHWAY TO THE SAFETY ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNEEE
Wanarpu wrote:The World Assembly,

Realizing the social stigmas that arise from judgements upon individual clothing choices, And you propose to eliminate this stigma by forcing a one-size-fits-nobody-except-your-WA-ambassador solution upon the entire multiverse?

Staying aware that clothes are often used as a mechanism for victim blaming in cases of assault and rape I would assume that this would be illegal under GA#240's ban on clothing being referred to as "sexually provocative;" even then, lumping in ridiculously tight and showy clothing with an Inuit's fur coat is completely inappropriate,

Recognizing that buying clothing can be a significant cost incursion on low income families, Walmart exists.

Reaffirming that most clothes are produced through exploitative and underpaid labor Somewhat agreed - at least in relative Western terms, which in turn can have severe negative economic repercussions For whom? The "sweatshoppers" making the clothes do at least get at least as much money - if not more - than they would get without employment, while consumers like you and me are able to buy clothes at cheaper prices than ever before,

Reiterating that clothes are often used as a way to buttress social inequalities and class structure How?

Acknowledging that the natural resources for clothes take a large toll on the environment and are a considerable factor in water scarcity Agreed, but not a good reason to require nudity or even discourage the reuse of clothing.

Making note that clothing is unnatural by design and is not a necessary part of human evolutionary design, The computer I'm typing this on is unnatural and unnecessary for evolution. Should we ban that as well?

Noting the importance of body positivity Says who? What is "body positivity" and what does it entail? and the scientifically backed fact Since when has "science" confirmed anything about people's social reaction to "body positivity" - except maybe neuroscience or gasp psychology? that nudity in social settings can promote it Who says?,

Seeking to clarify that nudity is not inherently sexual and normalizing it You mean foisting it upon everybody in the WA... can lead to lower levels of objectification, sexualization and fetishization of certain groups of WA enforcement gnome?

a. ‘nudity’ as an absence of any worn clothing So if I just sellotape my clothes onto my front and back as appropriate, I'm not wearing it? with exception to footwear, headwear, accessories or assistive articles What explains the exceptions?,
II. Mandated member nations to ban the act of wearing clothes All of them, including the exempted items in Article Ia?
III. Requires member nations to legalize and enforce nudity Legalising nudity I can completely understand; enforcing it, however, is both unfeasible - especially in private - and something I am opposed to on the basis of individual freedom of choice.
IV. Mandates member nations to continue the criminalization of public lewdness You imply that all member states have already criminalised public displays of sexuality.
V. Suggests that member nations begin body positivity campaigns Dove does a perfectly good job at this in the real world, much more so than any government could possibly wish
VI. Allows member nations to allow clothes to be worn on certain national or cultural holidays if they so wish If this passes, every day in Tinhampton will be deemed a day of celebration of Tinhampton's great culture and great people, by Mayoral edict. So there!

Should I revise the draft to be in terms that are less strong and thereby legalize rather than force nudity and suggest other clauses?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed May 06, 2020 4:02 pm

Wanarpu wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Joke proposals go here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=255807

not a joke proposal

OOC: In that case contradiction of Child Abuse Ban. Subjecting children (honestly, ANYONE) to displays of adult arousal is likely not a good thing. Also, you'd make WA a pedophile paradise.

And it's just plain insanity because if it's minus 40 (Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same at -40, if memory serves) outside with windchill pushing it 10-20 degrees further, how the fuck are you going to be naked?

Oh and also contradiction of the Workplace Safety Act (whatever the exact name of the resolution is), because protective clothing is still clothing.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed May 06, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 4:06 pm

"Excellent. So, firefighters don't wear turnout gear. Police don't wear uniforms or body armor. Aircraft flaggers don't wear reflective vests. Everybody sits on the old streaks of the person before you on all public transit. No scrubs in hospitals. This is shaping up to be a disgusting and dangerous world. What about chefs? They're going to cook themselves. What happens in winter? This is terrible policy, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Wanarpu wrote:not a joke proposal

OOC: In that case contradiction of Child Abuse Ban. Subjecting children (honestly, ANYONE) to displays of adult arousal is likely not a good thing. Also, you'd make WA a pedophile paradise.

And it's just plain insanity because if it's minus 40 (Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same at -40, if memory serves) outside with windchill pushing it 10-20 degrees further, how the fuck are you going to be naked?

Oh and also contradiction of the Workplace Safety Act (whatever the exact name of the resolution is), because protective clothing is still clothing.

to counter the first point, public lewdness is illegal

to counter the second, what if i were to reword the definition of nudity to exclude protective equipment and necessary workplace attire

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Wanarpu wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: In that case contradiction of Child Abuse Ban. Subjecting children (honestly, ANYONE) to displays of adult arousal is likely not a good thing. Also, you'd make WA a pedophile paradise.

to counter the second, what if i were to reword the definition of nudity to exclude protective equipment and necessary workplace attire

"Excellent. All clothing is both protective and necessary workplace attire. Done."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:11 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Excellent. So, firefighters don't wear turnout gear. Police don't wear uniforms or body armor. Aircraft flaggers don't wear reflective vests. Everybody sits on the old streaks of the person before you on all public transit. No scrubs in hospitals. This is shaping up to be a disgusting and dangerous world. What about chefs? They're going to cook themselves. What happens in winter? This is terrible policy, ambassador."

as i noted above, i will be adding a clause that will allow for protective and necessary workplace equipment. As to the winter question, perhaps we can add a weather/climate exception? As to the public transport question, we could state that nudity would also include some type of backside covering so as to not create that seating situation

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Wed May 06, 2020 4:11 pm

Wanarpu wrote:
Monsone wrote:

I’d argue that body shaming would go down bcs a lot of body shaming stems from sexualization of the body and cultural norms for body shape. If the variety of body types becomes obviously abundant and the body is desexualized through normalization, the shaming would go down too.

That said, how would you suggest revising the cultural wear idea? do we have the idea only apply in weather and climate where nudity would be viable?

Body shaming won't go down until the stigma is gone. But that stigma needs to go away before implementing nudity. And frankly, the desexualization will not occur through normalization. If anything, the opposite will occur. Lastly, don't revisit the cultural wear. If anything, nudity only works in environments that are generally warm. But not everywhere is that way. In Monsone alone there is the chance of snow in May in many parts of Monsone. So if someone who lives in a snow place has the choice between going naked and wearing some uncomfortable, but still warm traditional clothes, the choice is obvious.

Simly put, the resolution plays heavily on assumptions and this is not even considering religious freedoms because many religions would not aprove of this proposal, and in effect, mandating this would fly in the face of religious freedoms as well as the freedom of expression.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Wanarpu wrote:

"Excellent. All clothing is both protective and necessary workplace attire. Done."

I could specify what protective and necessary workplace clothing entails

or, as i mentioned above, the resolution could be reworded to legalize, rather than mandate, nudity

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Monsone wrote:
Wanarpu wrote:

Body shaming won't go down until the stigma is gone. But that stigma needs to go away before implementing nudity. And frankly, the desexualization will not occur through normalization. If anything, the opposite will occur. Lastly, don't revisit the cultural wear. If anything, nudity only works in environments that are generally warm. But not everywhere is that way. In Monsone alone there is the chance of snow in May in many parts of Monsone. So if someone who lives in a snow place has the choice between going naked and wearing some uncomfortable, but still warm traditional clothes, the choice is obvious.

Simly put, the resolution plays heavily on assumptions and this is not even considering religious freedoms because many religions would not aprove of this proposal, and in effect, mandating this would fly in the face of religious freedoms as well as the freedom of expression.

in regards to personal and religious freedoms, i’m strongly considering rewording this resolution so as to legalize rather than mandate nudity.

In regards to the destigmatization argument, the argument you are making is very puritanical. Many scientists, nudists and psychologists alike state that constant non-sexual exposure to the naked body does in fact desexualize it. Likewise, the stigma will naturally subside as more people are not sequestered away from a natural part of life

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed May 06, 2020 4:27 pm

"Congratulations, ambassador - you've outlawed being a teenager! Gods know those little fuckers had it coming, but you, sir - by gum you've had the courage to shut down high school itself! Well done!"

"Also weddings - if two naked people kissing isn't 'public lewdness' I don't know what is - and all forms of dancing that don't involve being on stage. Truly a wondrously spartan society in the making, sir."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Kao End Rodois
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kao End Rodois » Wed May 06, 2020 4:33 pm

I totally agree with the opposition here.

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

"Congratulations, ambassador - you've outlawed being a teenager! Gods know those little fuckers had it coming, but you, sir - by gum you've had the courage to shut down high school itself! Well done!"

"Also weddings - if two naked people kissing isn't 'public lewdness' I don't know what is - and all forms of dancing that don't involve being on stage. Truly a wondrously spartan society in the making, sir."

while your sarcasm brings a great deal of light to my life, it isn’t especially useful information. Once again, I am suggesting that this bill require legalization, but not mandate of nudity.

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Wed May 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Wanarpu wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

while your sarcasm brings a great deal of light to my life, it isn’t especially useful information. Once again, I am suggesting that this bill require legalization, but not mandate of nudity.

That already exists as an issue for individual nations to work out.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Monsone wrote:
Wanarpu wrote:

That already exists as an issue for individual nations to work out.

as most WA resolutions are. This would simply apply that issue to all WA members, as many WA resolutions do. That issue still remains relevant as it gives an option to outright mandate it if that is what individual nations desire

The Sladerstan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sladerstan » Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm

Even if it passes I won't allow it! Doubt it will though... if people want to be naked, they can do so in their house. Clothing is necessary, especially in a nation with colder climates (like The Sladerstan). You're not taking into account the different climates of nations. What if a nation existed in Antarctica? What if they existed in Space? Or another planet which requires the citizens to wear suits?

This is a dry resolution I'm against.

Wanarpu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Wanarpu » Wed May 06, 2020 4:43 pm

The Sladerstan wrote:Even if it passes I won't allow it! Doubt it will though... if people want to be naked, they can do so in their house. Clothing is necessary, especially in a nation with colder climates (like The Sladerstan). You're not taking into account the different climates of nations. What if a nation existed in Antarctica? What if they existed in Space? Or another planet which requires the citizens to wear suits?

This is a dry resolution I'm against.

Again, the focus of the legislation is changing to legalization rather than mandate. This way, for nations where nudity is an impracticality, it isn’t forced upon them, but the option for personal freedom remains for the people.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly