NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Restrictions on Blood Sports

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:54 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:
Newark Aristocracy wrote:
"No,Let's settle this crap show like real men do. A DUEL! HUMPHREY,GET MY WAX DUELING PISTOL SET,WE ARE SETTLING THIS WITH A GUN DUEL."

“Excuse me but you are creating a fuss. The members of this assembly would much prefer to get back on topic, rather than engage in unnecessary violence!”

"Hell no." *throws a wax dueling pistol over to Seperatist Peoples* "Wanna do a gun duel outside? These babies are wax dueling pistols,so we should be safe. If not,well then,I'll just duel my leader with these wax dueling pistols."

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 6:56 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:“Excuse me but you are creating a fuss. The members of this assembly would much prefer to get back on topic, rather than engage in unnecessary violence!”

"Hell no." *throws a wax dueling pistol over to Seperatist Peoples* "Wanna do a gun duel outside? These babies are wax dueling pistols,so we should be safe. If not,well then,I'll just duel my leader with these wax dueling pistols."

“If you could keep the dueling to yourself, it’d be greatly appreciated. And outside.”

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:59 am

“If you could keep the dueling to yourself, it’d be greatly appreciated. And outside.”

"AT LEAST I'M TRYING TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE DESPITE ME SHOOTING AT YOU WITH A 9 MIL!"

Old Zealand Founder
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Zealand Founder » Wed May 06, 2020 7:00 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:Category: Moral Decency
Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging that sports such as bullfighting, cockfighting and dogfighting are popular amongst member nations;

Horrified that in most of these cases at least one of the participants in such competitions are forced to participate, usually resulting in their death or serious injury;

Believing that for the sake of moral decency, legislation in the form of a General Assembly resolution is needed to prevent such cruel and barbaric practises;

The General Assembly Hereby:

Defines the following for the purpose of this resolution:
      'Blood sports' as a sport between two living beings in which the aim is to injure or kill the opponent, not including competitive hunting and fishing

Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which one or more of the participants did not provide consent;

Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which the aim is to kill the opponent, despite consent;

Requires member states to relocate all captive blood sport participants to a healthier, safer environment.

(ooc)

The idea is good, but the way it is written is not optimal in my opinion. I would write it as such.
The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that sports such as bullfighting, cockfighting and dogfighting are popular amongst member nations;

HORRIFIED that in most of these cases at least one of the participants in such competitions are forced to participate, usually resulting in their death or serious injury;

BELIEVING that, for the safety and protection of all sentient beings, legislation in the form of a General Assembly resolution is needed to prevent such cruel and barbaric practises;

Hereby:

Defines a "blood sport" as a form of entertainment between two or more living beings in which the aim is to injure or kill the opponent;

Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which one or more of the participants did not provide consent;

Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which the aim is to kill the opponent, despite consent;

Requires member states to relocate all captive blood sport participants to a healthier, safer environment.
JUCHE GANG

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:“Excuse me but you are creating a fuss. The members of this assembly would much prefer to get back on topic, rather than engage in unnecessary violence!”

"Ambassador, I dont particularly want to speak with you, let alone play war with you." Bell tosses the pistol to the aisle floor.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 am

:ugeek:
Separatist Peoples wrote:

"Ambassador, I dont particularly want to speak with you, let alone play war with you." Bell tosses the pistol to the aisle floor.

"FINE! I'LL JUST SHOOT AT YA WITH EM!"

WA Ambassador of the Newark Aristocracy is mad,and wants to attack Bell!
HP:|||||||||||||||100/100||||||||||||||||||||
Last edited by Newark Aristocracy on Wed May 06, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 7:06 am

Newark Aristocracy wrote::ugeek:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Ambassador, I dont particularly want to speak with you, let alone play war with you." Bell tosses the pistol to the aisle floor.

Bell, hearing the blow hum of the ACME Nullifiers, shrugs and returns to the draft.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Newark Aristocracy wrote::ugeek:

Bell, hearing the blow hum of the ACME Nullifiers, shrugs and returns to the draft.

OOC note:Wax Dueling pistols are intended for bloodless gun duels. Wax dueling pistols only fire wax bullets,witch are intended to not harm people.
Last edited by Newark Aristocracy on Wed May 06, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 am

"I think that there should be different provisions for sapient blood sports and deliberately pitting non-sapient creatures against each other - and that the latter of which probably belongs in a broader proposal alongside other prevention of animal abuse. If I were you, I'd focus solely on gladiatorial and other similar forms of sport for this proposal, but it's ultimately up to you."

"If you do heed my advice, I'd also recommend changing 'injure' to 'maim' in the definition of the proposal, as well as taking out the hunting/fishing clarification, as it would no longer be needed."

OOC:
Best of luck!
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 7:16 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Bell, hearing the blow hum of the ACME Nullifiers, shrugs and returns to the draft.

OOC note:Wax Dueling pistols are intended for bloodless gun duels. Wax dueling pistols only fire wax bullets,witch are intended to not harm people.

Ooc: both I and my ambassador presumed as much.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed May 06, 2020 7:23 am

OOC: Notamod™, but @Newark Aristocracy - your posts are getting close to outright threadjacking at this point. This thread is for discussing the draft at hand. You have made it crystal clear to everyone here that you oppose it. Great job, mission accomplished. Everyone else has made it equally clear to everyone here - except you, apparently - that they don't fucking want to roleplay a gunfight with your dumbass ambassador. Please just stop.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 06, 2020 7:26 am

Old Zealand Founder wrote: -snip-

(OOC: I agree with the idea of removing the indentation, since there isn’t much need for it given that there aren’t any lists or sublists. However, capitalisation of the opening words in the preamble, in my opinion, doesn’t add anything to the draft.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Old Zealand Founder
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Zealand Founder » Wed May 06, 2020 7:35 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Old Zealand Founder wrote: -snip-

(OOC: I agree with the idea of removing the indentation, since there isn’t much need for it given that there aren’t any lists or sublists. However, capitalisation of the opening words in the preamble, in my opinion, doesn’t add anything to the draft.)

The capitalization is just a personal thing. For me it looks better, but I don't mind if it gets removed.
JUCHE GANG

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 7:56 am

Thank you Old Zealand Founder, the draft has been updated.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 am

“I think you should have ‘involving’ rather than ‘between’ in your definition. It doesn’t really make sense to refer to entertainment as being between people.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kardashev III Civilization
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 07, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kardashev III Civilization » Wed May 06, 2020 9:40 am

The obelisk enters the debate chamber, a battle droid in close pursuit. The droid fires an energy weapon from its torso, which the obelisk masterfully deflects into the ceiling.

"This World Assembly would do well not to step on the cultural touchstones of its member states. Violence is a fact of life, and can make for great entertainment. We have every right to pit sapient creatures against each other, let alone non-sapients. Let the means of distributing essential resources throughout one's physical form flow!"

The obelisk opens up at its apex, from which a turret rains rockettes down at the droid.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:OOC: Yes it does, but in boxing most cases is that you’re a willing participant. What would be outlawed is gladiator fights, especially when you’re not consenting.

OOC: Gladiators were the sports stars of their day, it's convicted prisoners being executed in fights against one another and aggressive animals that you're thinking of. Gladiators were professionals - think show wrestling in RL for how it looks much more dangerous than it is - and highly paid. And vegans, which amuses me.

EDIT: I suggest numbering the clauses, starting from the definition. Always makes referring to them easier.

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Ambassador, I dont particularly want to speak with you, let alone play war with you." Bell tosses the pistol to the aisle floor.

Kardashev III Civilization wrote:
The obelisk enters the debate chamber, a battle droid in close pursuit. The droid fires an energy weapon from its torso, which the obelisk masterfully deflects into the ceiling.

"This World Assembly would do well not to step on the cultural touchstones of its member states. Violence is a fact of life, and can make for great entertainment. We have every right to pit sapient creatures against each other, let alone non-sapients. Let the means of distributing essential resources throughout one's physical form flow!"

The obelisk opens up at its apex, from which a turret rains rockettes down at the droid.

OOC: Take the combat fuckery elsewhere. Nobody's impressed. You're just making yourself look stupid.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed May 06, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Old Zealand Founder
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Zealand Founder » Wed May 06, 2020 5:32 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Ancient Greek Empire wrote:OOC: Yes it does, but in boxing most cases is that you’re a willing participant. What would be outlawed is gladiator fights, especially when you’re not consenting.

OOC: Gladiators were the sports stars of their day, it's convicted prisoners being executed in fights against one another and aggressive animals that you're thinking of. Gladiators were professionals - think show wrestling in RL for how it looks much more dangerous than it is - and highly paid. And vegans, which amuses me.

EDIT: I suggest numbering the clauses, starting from the definition. Always makes referring to them easier.

Kardashev III Civilization wrote:

OOC: Take the stupidass combat fuckery elsewhere. Nobody's impressed. You're just making yourself look stupid.

1. True.
2. True.
JUCHE GANG

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed May 06, 2020 6:15 pm

"I agree that we should restrict blood sports that includes animals fighting each other it is inhumane for any animal to suffer from these fights. I am also against blood sports where human life is at risk of being killed. If this draft were to reach the voting floors of the World Assembly I would vote for it."-Ambassador Alex Ha'mil.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 6:26 pm

Aeritai wrote:"I agree that we should restrict blood sports that includes animals fighting each other it is inhumane for any animal to suffer from these fights. I am also against blood sports where human life is at risk of being killed. If this draft were to reach the voting floors of the World Assembly I would vote for it."-Ambassador Alex Ha'mil.

“Thank you Ambassador for you support.”

Alraibris
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Alraibris » Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 pm

"The Empire agrees that there should be restrictions on Blood Sports. If and when this Draft comes to a vote of the entirety of the World Assembly, we will gladly vote in favor of this."

Ambassador Leotardia then turns his attention to the Ambassador from The Newark Aristocracy, "I have a note here from the Imperial Ministry of Foreign Affairs that your nation was just granted an Embassy within the Empire. If the attitude and temperament of your nation are compatible with that of yourself, Ambassador, the Ministry may rethink the Status level of your Embassy and place major restrictions upon the staff and limit your Embassy to Status Silver. I suggest that you adjust your attitude here within these Chambers. I hope that is understood."
Imperial Delegate to the World Assembly: Mr. Antuan D. Flaberghast
Colony of The Shazbotdom Empire +6,450 from Jolt
Factbook + Q&A || Embassies v6.0 || ShazWeb || IIWiki
TWITTER/INSTAGRAM: TheShazMan999 || Fair Debates
DOES NOT MAINTAIN TELEGRAM BOX FOR THIS NATION!

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"If I might offer some support," Bell says to the author, ignoring the nearby tantrum, "you might want to expand upon what constitutes a safe and healthy environment. It sounds like you intend to detail minimal precautions for arenas. I would advise that you spell some of those factors out."

“What would you suggest in lieu of a safe and healthy environment? Would defining safe environment as the natural habitat suffice? What is your suggestion?

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Thu May 07, 2020 6:41 am

"As well as Ambassador Bell's suggestion to explicitly specify minimum standards for the housing of captive blood sport participants, in doing so I recommend that you not use comparative adjectives or the word "relocate" and instead have these standards set as absolute, self-standing criteria (instead of being relative to current standards). That way, arenas already keeping their captive combatants in good conditions would not be forced to move them unnecessarily."
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu May 07, 2020 9:24 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"If I might offer some support," Bell says to the author, ignoring the nearby tantrum, "you might want to expand upon what constitutes a safe and healthy environment. It sounds like you intend to detail minimal precautions for arenas. I would advise that you spell some of those factors out."

“What would you suggest in lieu of a safe and healthy environment? Would defining safe environment as the natural habitat suffice? What is your suggestion?

IC: "Animals that have been trained to fight to the death or have been bred for aggressiveness, should be put down humanely, as they will never be safe to each other - including more docile individuals of their species - or handlers in the case of domesticated animals that could not survive outside of care. This is not something you can change, so it should be added in the mandates."

OOC: In RL, too, when they bust illegal cockfighting or dogfighting rings, the animals are put down, exactly because they're not safe to one another or handlers.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu May 07, 2020 9:53 am

Newark Aristocracy, I'd like to bring your attention to this post before you parcitipate further in this thread.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives