NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Repeal "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned] Repeal "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking"

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Mon May 04, 2020 2:31 am

Well, that is going to have a pretty title.
Repeal "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking"

Category: Repeal || Target: link

The World Assembly,

Applauding the aim of GAR#23 to end the despicable practices of slavery, forced labour, and trafficking of persons,

Agreeing with classification of these practices as a violation of basic rights,

Worried that in the aforementioned resolution slavery is defined as holding another person to be one’s possession, property, etc. “under the law”, which means that slavery without the official sanction of the law is not banned by GAR#23;

Dismayed by the numerous exclusions from legal definitions present in GAR#23, which diminish its readability;

Perplexed that prison labour is excluded from the ban on forced labour, even if such labour would be dehumanizing or debilitating for the inmates;

Noting that what constitutes “normal civic duties” varies from nation to nation, thus excluding them from the ban on forced labour without properly defining said duties can result in a destitution of citizenry into a form of semi-servitude in some nations;

Alarmed that the blanket ban on sending aid to the countries that employ slavery, for any other purpose than for emancipating the slaves, blocks many forms of humanitarian aid from being sent, even if such aid would benefit persons in the condition of servitude, like disaster relief or medical supplies;

Disgusted by the last exclamatory sentence of GAR#23 and wanting statements of such kind to be removed from the fair laws of the World Assembly;

Considering the aforementioned flaws of the resolution in question,

Having reasonable hope that a better regulation, written in accordance with the modern standards of legislation and avoiding the pitfalls pointed out above, can be passed quickly by the very same body that progressed so much since this attempt at eliminating slavery passed;

The World Assembly hereby repeals GAR#23.

I hope that reading through this made it sound less crazy than what the title suggests. I do not have a replacement ready at the moment, but I will work on it. Obviously not going forward with this until there is a replacement I'm satisfied with.

This is the first serious attempt to touch this piece of legislation. OOC: I've searched for drafts of repeals on this forum to see what problems people brought up and if some of my own were answered already, but all drafts were slavery is good, durrrrr.
Last edited by Sancta Romana Ecclesia on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paulus Asteorra

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Mon May 04, 2020 2:33 am

The World Assembly,

Applauding the aim of GAR#23 to end the despicable practices of slavery, forced labour, and trafficking of persons,

Agreeing with classification of these practices as a violation of basic rights,

Worried that in the aforementioned resolution slavery is defined as holding another person to be one’s possession, property, etc. “under the law”, which means that slavery without the official sanction of the law is not banned by GAR#23;

Dismayed by the numerous exclusions from legal definitions present in GAR#23, which exclusions diminish its readability;

Perplexed that prison labour is excluded from the ban on forced labour, even if such labour would be dehumanizing or debilitating for the inmates;

Noting that what constitutes “normal civic duties” varies from nation to nation, thus excluding them from the ban on forced labour without properly defining said duties can lead to the destitution of citizenry into a form of semi-servitude in some nations;

Alarmed that the blanket ban on sending aid to countries that employ slavery for any other purpose than for emancipating slaves blocks many forms of humanitarian aid from being sent, even if such aid would benefit persons in the condition of servitude, like disaster relief or medical supplies;

Disgusted by the last exclamatory sentence of GAR#23 and declaring that statements of such kind have no place in the fair laws of the World Assembly;

Considering the aforementioned flaws of the resolution in question,

Having reasonable hope that a better regulation, written in accordance with the modern standards of legislation and avoiding the pitfalls pointed out above, can be passed quickly by the very same body that progressed so much since this attempt at eliminating slavery passed;

The World Assembly hereby repeals GAR#23.
Last edited by Sancta Romana Ecclesia on Fri May 08, 2020 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulus Asteorra

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Mon May 04, 2020 11:20 am

OOC: Once my face recovered from the perplexed expression I made upon reading the title, I realize where you're coming from. I have to say I do oppose your proposal, but I do have some advice. Regarding prison labor, I think it would definitely be fair game to write a new proposal to ban/regulate it (assuming it has not been covered by other resolutions; you might want to check if you plan on taking my advice). If you want, you and I could write a proposal together to that effect.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Waldenes
Attaché

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldenes » Mon May 04, 2020 2:39 pm

“You want to do WHAT??? How can you even... oh... oh... hmm, I see. Ok. Forgive my rash outburst, ambassador. The title threw me for a bit of a loop there. We would need to see some replacement drafts, of course, before we can justify supporting this.”

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon May 04, 2020 2:45 pm

"Dependent on an adequate replacement being present, we support this endeavor."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon May 04, 2020 3:27 pm

"I am open to writing a replacement if the Italian delegation wishes to pursue this repeal effort."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Mon May 04, 2020 3:38 pm

"If the good ambassador from Sancta Romana Ecclesia wishes to work on a proposal regulating prison labor, I would be happy to serve as co-author, or anything else I can do to help. As for this proposal itself, however, I will oppose it with everything I have. Slavery is a blight on humanity, a fate worse than death, and any proposal that would legalize it, even for a day, is a firm no from me."

OOC: Telegram me if you want my help. I believe a proposal about prison/convict labor would be legal, existing resolutions notwithstanding.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Tue May 05, 2020 2:13 am

Thank you for your supportive words and offers, Ambassadors. I will be sure to consider them.

OOC: If I find out that the prison labour issue cannot be reasonably regulated in a replacement resolution for this, I would be interested in any offers for co-authoring a draft on it alone. I'll also check out for any potential existing resolutions on the topic (although while reading Treatment of Inmates nothing has struck me as resolving the problem).

I'll probably tg when I have the time to work on a replacement, if you say that you would be interested in drafting it, so be warned ;)
Paulus Asteorra

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue May 05, 2020 4:38 am

“This draft has my support. I think the ‘dismayed’ clause would be more readable if the second ‘exclusions’ were to be removed, but this is currently my only quibble.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly