NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal "Promotion of Clean Energy"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Wed May 06, 2020 11:52 am

OOC: It seems like what you want to do is address consumption patterns. My strong recommendation would be to write a resolution trying to reduce consumption rather than repealing a resolution which to most people here seems to be a net positive.
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed May 06, 2020 12:01 pm

Umeria wrote:
Araraukar wrote:And both are VERY durable.

Maybe under normal circumstances, but power plants put these materials under a lot of stress. Wind turbines, for example, only last for a few decades.

OOC: Something lasting "a few decades" is pretty much the definition of "VERY durable".

Araraukar wrote:But they're not sources of energy, so I'm not entirely certain why you've brought them up.

You need a steady supply of them in order to maintain a power plant.

Only once in a few decades according to you. I wouldn't call that "steady supply" need. And even then, so what? If the alternative is to have nonstop pollution, green tech is still green by comparison.

Araraukar wrote:If the alternative to green tech energy was to burn wood (an ACTUALLY renewable energy source)

I'd call wood semi-renewable; it takes a while for it to grow back.

...you need to check your references again. Wood is 100% renewable. "Renewable" doesn't mean "renews itself every time the sun sets", but rather "we're never going to run out". And since we can always grow more wood, we're never going to run out.

Burning wood also releases CO2.

Which was my entire point. Something that is fully renewable is still not zero-emissions deal. So expecting anything else to be either, is insanity. Also, technically the wood just releases the CO2 back to the atmosphere where it came from. Plants create their bodies largely out of the atmosphere. Which is cool and creepy at the same time.

A huge problem IRL is that burning trees for fuel is considered to be green energy and given subsidies.

...given it's fully renewable, which seems to be what you're hung up on, I don't see the problem?

I mean, if you want non-polluting energy, you'll go for "green tech" energy solutions, which require some polluting energy tech - in current RL, not necessarily everywhere in NS (I could honestly give you a 5-hour lecture on the subject) - to set up and maintain, but which replace with non-polluting energy production so much polluting energy production that they're worth it.

But if you want fully renewable energy, then you'll go for something like wood, for which the supply will never run out of, and ignore stuff like CO2 and such, since they're not part of the problem for you.

If you want fully renewable and non-polluting, you need to learn something about this little thing called "entropy" and what it does, and why that combination is likely MT-impossible.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed May 06, 2020 5:42 pm

"Germany relies primarily on nuclear energy as it's the safest and most efficient source. Whilst I support the repeal, I do not appreciate your attacks on nuclear which are needless scaremongering."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Thu May 07, 2020 9:36 am

Astrobolt wrote:OOC: It seems like what you want to do is address consumption patterns. My strong recommendation would be to write a resolution trying to reduce consumption rather than repealing a resolution which to most people here seems to be a net positive.

357 GA is not a net positive. If the binding clause isn't a mandate for an increase in destructive practices, it's certainly an incentive for it. It's true that there are people here with a different view. I hope I can convince them.

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Something lasting "a few decades" is pretty much the definition of "VERY durable".

Not really? These are massive machines, and replacing them is expensive.

Araraukar wrote:Only once in a few decades according to you. I wouldn't call that "steady supply" need. And even then, so what? If the alternative is to have nonstop pollution, green tech is still green by comparison.

That's the misconception here, that 357 GA encourages alternative energy as a replacement for fossil fuels. In reality it encourages alternative energy in addition to fossil fuels.

Araraukar wrote:...you need to check your references again. Wood is 100% renewable. "Renewable" doesn't mean "renews itself every time the sun sets", but rather "we're never going to run out". And since we can always grow more wood, we're never going to run out.

The Lorax says otherwise. :p

But seriously, if you cut down all the trees, there won't be any trees left. I suppose you could keep a seed bank, but you'd still need to wait for them to grow, and finding good soil might be hard.

Araraukar wrote:Which was my entire point. Something that is fully renewable is still not zero-emissions deal. So expecting anything else to be either, is insanity.

I 100% agree. There is no magical energy solution. That's why the only way to save the planet is to reduce the demand for energy to a level that the planet can sustain.

Marxist Germany wrote:"Germany relies primarily on nuclear energy as it's the safest and most efficient source. Whilst I support the repeal, I do not appreciate your attacks on nuclear which are needless scaremongering."

"The proposal lists the downsides of all forms of energy production. Why should it exclude nuclear?"
Last edited by Umeria on Thu May 07, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Previous

Return to General Assembly