NATION

PASSWORD

Pupils Principals for Planning a Proper Proposal

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Asterguard
Attaché

Founded: Feb 09, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Asterguard » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:05 pm

DRAFT UPDATE LOG

Version 1.1
- Removed Wall O' Text from "What Makes a Good General Assembly Proposal?"
- Fixed BB-code formatting errors
- Repaired spelling & punctuation mistakes throughout guide

P.P.P.P.P (5 P) Guide for World Assembly Proposals. You can already check the World Assembly proposal rules to see what’s allowed and what’s not, but I think that it’s better to actually show examples, and detail some of the stuff that the actual rules don’t.
Also note that this guide is FAIRLY LONG. If you dislike long literature in general, scroll to the bottom to see the TL;DR of the guide, which is only some short bulletin points for your convenience.

So you’ve joined the World Assembly and you see these little pieces of writing called ‘proposals.’ What are they? A proposal is a suggestion for a world assembly resolution that is meant for several purposes, such as improving rights, furthering democracy, or limiting things that are commonly considered ‘bad.’ They are extremely important to the game in the way that they are an important aspect to gameplay. This is more so in the Security Council, where people write resolutions to condemn or commend each other, and regions are liberated (removing password locks) to allow for attack. But that’s an entirely different subject, for now, let’s move onto General Assembly Proposals

General Assembly Proposals

What Makes a Good General Assembly Proposal?

The foremost thing I notice when reading the countless new and confident forum posts for proposals is that many people tend to go ‘off the bat’ with their ideas, which are often either under-worded or common-place and already passed years ago. The problem with many of these proposals is several things.

1. They don’t look at the forums to see if the proposal is already made, passed, or lost. If a good proposal got to quorum but still failed, the odds of someone making a new proposal with the same idea and actually getting it passed is slim to none, unless that proposal happens to be so incredibly polished and defined, it is ten folds better than the old one. This is mostly because that if the vote failed, its either one of two things; either the proposal wasn’t well polished after writing or it is just generally unsupported.

2. They don’t read the world assembly rules before posting. We should commend the people aspiring to be world assembly proposal writers, but the one thing I notice in a lot of proposals: they don’t read the rules. There’s a lot of areas to go wrong on, and one of them is improper formatting and slang terms. The most recent and most comical “help a brotha out” proposal is a perfect example. In its comedic gold moments, it held quite a few grammar errors, on top of being incredibly short, improperly worded and formatted, and used a lot of slang term. Another one that I found to be another great example was the oddly (when it shouldn’t have been) funny proposal where the writer resorted to speaking in a Scottish accent and using Scottish slang. Both of these are great examples (thank you to the authors of these if you are reading this) because the most common issue is a lack of formatting and a shortage of formal style.

3. They think of a proposal, and immediately write one. The problem with this is that it takes some time to even begin writing a proposal. Sure, you can get lucky and happen to stumble across one in your brilliant mind that is not passed, failed, or already proposed, but generally this type of proposal writing can lead to a serious disappointment. This is expressly when you post your proposal on the forums or, in a less desirable circumstance, immediately to the chambers of the General Assembly, and find out that a resolution for it is already passed, or it is illegal in some way. All that hard work can go down the drain.

4. They don’t research the topic. When you write a proposal, you need to understand WHAT you are writing about and WHY you are writing it. A simple “I’m writing about animal rights because I like animals” isn’t a good enough reason to write about it. I mean, sure, that can be your foundation, but you definitely need to do some research about animal rights and ways it is both commendable and condemnable first. You should also, at this stage, be asking yourself “How can I convince people to support it?” “How can I show while in the proposal WHY I am writing about it” and “How can I tell people that this is an absolute MUST for a resolution?” If you can answer all these questions, you are well on your way to writing a good proposal.

So, in all essentials, do the exact OPPOSITE of what many people choose to do in points 1-4, which means think of a proposal and check to make sure its legal, research the topic, read the world assembly proposal rules before posting, and ALWAYS use the forums; this includes posting it here so that many more experienced eyes can read over it and give you advice.

The next thing I want to point out that makes a good assembly proposal is that it SHOULD NOT be lengthy unless it’s absolutely required. If your proposal somehow manages to come out to over 1,000 words, that’s a bit too much to chew on and a lot of people probably won’t end up reading it. Keep it to the essentials. If your topic is so incredibly vast and expansive that you need to go over 1,000 words; that’s fine! People will recognize that when they read your draft title and immediately think “Oh! This is quite a topic.” If your draft is 1,000+ words on how food poisoning can be prevented, a lot of people (though not all,) will likely get bored after a couple hundred words and move on. But if your draft is 1,000+ words on national healthcare fallacies in underdeveloped nations, people will recognize “Oh, that’s a broad topic. I better buckle in for this one.” In short, make sure to keep your proposals trimmed and neat. Even if your proposal does require an unfathomable amount of words and characters, you should try to trim it as much as possible.

Which brings me to the next portion of this section: how would I trim a proposal down? There are several ways to do it. For one, you can avoid over describing things, or even make it psychological and avoid using overly-large words such as “Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia”, which ironically enough is the fear of long words. The only good time to use long words like that would be when you are being as specific as possible for the sake of science.
For example, if I was doing a proposal about the importance of preserving ancient fossils, I may want to use the scientific names in my examples, which will add to the professionality of the proposal as a whole. As a side note, you probably skipped over at least ¾ of that word that means “to fear long words,” because you can’t pronounce it all or you just thought that it is completely unnecessary to read or even say all together. That is exactly what some people will do if they see a long or overcomplicated and unneeded word in a proposal, and their expectations for it may or may not drop (this is just by human nature!) Leading by example, a draft clause for, say, work benefits, can be turned from:

Does hereby,
1: Mandate that employees currently working in dangerous locations such as mines, motor vehicle factories, factories that contain excessive amounts of heat, or pose a risk due to large amounts of loose, sharp, or heavy objects/machinery, are to receive work compensation for operating in such perilous climates such as those listed above, and that proper safety requirements are to be enlisted by the employer in order to ensure the overall safety of the employees on its premises.

To:

Does hereby,

1: Mandate that employees working in environments that can pose a significant physical or health threat are entitled to work compensation, and employers are required to enlist appropriate safety measures for the wellbeing of their employees.

That revised one is considerably less wordy and more universal under “significant physical or health threat” instead of specifics that can end up causing loop-holes and be able to be bypassed. This is in itself a must. Instead of including specific examples, keep it more universal with something similar to the example above so that there is absolutely no way that there are loop-holes present.

How Should I Format My Proposals?

The way proposals have been formatted have changed a lot since antiquity, where they were kept short, simple, and wildly un-similar to modern day proposals. A proposal should be formatted in a way that is both professional but also easy to read, which means if you are posting here you shouldn’t be using hot pink or a primary color that scorches the poor eyes that try to read it. Neither should you be using words like “bamboozled” or “skedaddled” unless you are writing a joke proposal. Instead, keep your colors defaulted, as they will automatically adjust to whatever fits the persons chosen website theme. A bright yellow, for example doesn’t go with the classic white and pale-skin colored site theme, and can be extremely hard and eye-straining to read.
The next thing you want to do when formatting your proposal is to use proper command words, which are the words that you use at the beginning of each clause, article, or term in your proposal.

For example,
TESTIFYING that electrical safety has been poorly regarded in many member nations, and largely overlooked by officials as a visible safety concern.

The word “testifying” is the command word in the clause. Do note, that using caps-lock for your command word isn’t necessarily good, but overall it is your preference. Instead, it should be more along the lines of Testifying. Note how it uses italics instead of bold and all capital letters. You may even choose to not format it at all when submitting, which some people will prefer to do to make it seem more simplistic and smooth. Additionally, the sentence(s) following your command word should be well-thought out and worded properly so that it flows with the purpose of the proposal, and is easily understood by most readers. For example,

Testifying that electrical safety has been extensively marginalized in many associate nations, and largely snubbed by bureaucrats as a perceptible safety alarm.

If this was part of your proposal, a lot of people will be thinking “why don’t they just say ‘officials’ instead of ‘bureaucrats,’ and what even is ‘marginalized?” To be honest, I didn’t even know marginalized was a word until I used a thesaurus to look up a synonym for ‘disregarded.’ That is exactly what many people will think unless they take the time to look it up in a dictionary, which a good majority will not. You may also want to use commas instead of periods so that your clauses flow as one. For example, taking the aforementioned example, instead of putting a period after “alarm”, replace it with “alarm,” and then continue onto your next clause, and repeat.

Additionally, when you actually get to the actual articles of your proposal, you should use common number and letter points, like an outline, which is exactly what your articles are; they are an outline for what the proposal intends to do if passed. For example:
1: Mandates that electrical companies are required to undergo a semi-extensive license check in which their capabilities for operation are tested, and their license either renewed yearly or terminated.
A.
Establishes the impartial Electrical Certification Committee to review, renew, and terminate electrical handling licenses.

Next, when you define something… Using the same draft topic, its suggested the definition for words or phrases related to your topic be at the TOP OF the articles. In other words, your definitions should be the first pieces of your articles. For example:

1: Defines “electrical malpractice” as the disregard of one or more safety procedures or protocols that can be disastrous, extremely costly, or dangerous if not addressed in an orderly and sufficient manner.

Once you have defined what you need to clarify, you will generally want to use that word at some point in your articles as you are defining a specific word, not a variant of it. For example, it would not be prudent to use the word “electrical misconduct,” as you defined “electrical malpractice” not “misconduct,” and while they, in all essentials, mean the same thing, it takes away from the organization and appearance of your overall draft.

Everything’s formatted and wrote, now what?

If you believe your draft is good to go, do not submit it to the General Assembly just yet. Instead, you should submit it to the General Assembly Forums for review by people with more experienced skillsets. Don’t be afraid to accept criticism! If you get some backlash or criticism from some forum posters, do not fret! Everyone needs criticism on the path to being a professional at it.

You should wait AT LEAST 20 days (sometimes longer) after submitting to the General Assembly Forums to allow for enough people to see it, and give suggestions for improvement. You should expect to revise your draft quite a bit on its path to perfection. This is the just of proposal writing to get you started. Again, I highly suggest reading proposal rules before writing or submitting a proposal to the General Assembly forum, or to the General Assembly it’s self. Also, don’t get discouraged by the lengthy wait and the work needed to be able to polish it for submission. When that time comes, it will feel great when you finally get to submit it!

TL;DR

1: Always research your proposal so you know more about it
2: Be able to answer why you want to write it, what you are writing about, and how you will persuade others to agree with you
3: Always review the general assembly forums and rules before posting a proposal to make sure it isn’t illegal
4: Keep your proposals tidy and trimmed
5: Always use proper command words such as “Testifying” “Mandating” “Proclaiming” or “Asserting” in your clauses.
6: Use of outline format for your article terms is always suggested:
1: Main Topic
A: Sub Topic 1
B: Sub Topic 2
C: Sub Topic 3
2: Main Topic 2

7: Avoid being redundant or lengthy when proposal writing
8: Always be creative! Don’t go for common problems because they are likely already a resolution.
9: Always properly format your proposals (don’t use strange or abnormal colors or words such as “bamboozled” or “skedaddled” unless it’s a joke proposal)

Happy proposal writing, and good luck with your path to joining the list of Resolution Writers!

- Asterguard
Last edited by Asterguard on Sun May 03, 2020 2:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
Almost 7 billion population and still a failed State. Everything has been 'coming soon' for decades now

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 01, 2020 5:17 pm

EDIT: For those coming here after the fact, the OP was the first draft of a proposal writing guide.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat May 02, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat May 02, 2020 5:08 am

I hope you retained your initial OP offline. It wasn't awful - much or even most of the advice was bang on IIRC.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Sat May 02, 2020 5:11 am

Bananaistan wrote:I hope you retained your initial OP offline. It wasn't awful - much or even most of the advice was bang on IIRC.

Especially the parts about what you should consider before starting a proposal, that was good. Way to discourage newcomers, Ara.
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat May 02, 2020 10:58 am

Gorundu wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:I hope you retained your initial OP offline. It wasn't awful - much or even most of the advice was bang on IIRC.

Especially the parts about what you should consider before starting a proposal, that was good. Way to discourage newcomers, Ara.

OOC: They're not so new around here that they wouldn't know criticism is a thing that happens, and also I didn't expect them to simply delete the whole thing. The wall-o-text would've been easy to break up into separate pieces, for example.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Asterguard
Attaché

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Asterguard » Sat May 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Oh, Okay! The original post is retained still in a word document. I'll re add it tonight.

Edit: The original reason that the post was deleted was because I was told a lot of the information was inaccurate.
Last edited by Asterguard on Sat May 02, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Almost 7 billion population and still a failed State. Everything has been 'coming soon' for decades now

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 02, 2020 9:04 pm

If you post it to something like Google docs (I recommend using a separate NS email by the way) I'll be happy to offer feedback or changes to it. (It really is just a lot easier on Google docs.)

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Asterguard
Attaché

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Asterguard » Sun May 03, 2020 12:56 am

Post restored with edits made. BB-code formatting is either broken or I'm just entirely screwing it up somehow (for parts of the original post)
Last edited by Asterguard on Sun May 03, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 03, 2020 1:38 am

This is a helpful guide; below is the fixed BBCode. You had a few missing closing tags.
Code: Select all
[quote="Asterguard";p="37047484"][b][u]DRAFT UPDATE LOG[/u][/b]

[b][size=150]BB-code formatting (for this post at least) is now officially broken as of 5/3/20, 12:53 AM (PST,) 3:53 AM (EST).[/size][/b]

[i]Version 1.1[/i]
[i][spoiler][u]Version 1.1[/u]
- Repaired spelling & punctuation mistakes throughout guide[/spoiler]
[/i]

[b][u]Pupils Principals for Planning a Proper Proposal[/u][/b]

P.P.P.P.P (5 P) Guide for World Assembly Proposals. You can already check the World Assembly proposal rules to see what’s allowed and what’s not, but I think that it’s better to actually show examples, and detail some of the stuff that the actual rules don’t.
Also note that this guide is [size=100]FAIRLY LONG[/size]. If you dislike long literature in general, scroll to the bottom to see the TL;DR of the guide, which is only some short bulletin points for your convenience.
[hr][/hr]

So you’ve joined the World Assembly and you see these little pieces of writing called ‘proposals.’ What are they? A [b]proposal[/b] is a suggestion for a world assembly resolution that is meant for several purposes, such as improving rights, furthering democracy, or limiting things that are commonly considered ‘bad.’ They are extremely important to the game in the way that they are an important aspect to gameplay. This is more so in the Security Council, where people write resolutions to condemn or commend each other, and regions are liberated (removing password locks) to allow for attack. But that’s an entirely different subject, for now, let’s move onto General Assembly Proposals

[size=200][b][u]General Assembly Proposals[/u][/b][/size]

[b][u]What Makes a Good General Assembly Proposal?[/u][/b]

The foremost thing I notice when reading the countless new and confident forum posts for proposals is that many people tend to go ‘off the bat’ with their ideas, which are often either under-worded or common-place and already passed years ago. The problem with many of these proposals is several things.

[b]1.[/b] They don’t look at the forums to see if the proposal is already made, passed, or lost. If a good proposal got to quorum but still failed, the odds of someone making a new proposal with the same idea and actually getting it passed is slim to none, unless that proposal happens to be so incredibly polished and defined, it is ten folds better than the old one. This is mostly because that if the vote failed, its either one of two things; either the proposal wasn’t well polished after writing or it is just generally unsupported.

[b]2.[/b] They don’t read the world assembly rules before posting. We should commend the people aspiring to be world assembly proposal writers, but the one thing I notice in a lot of proposals: they don’t read the rules. There’s a lot of areas to go wrong on, and one of them is improper formatting and slang terms. The most recent and most comical “help a brotha out” proposal is a perfect example. In its comedic gold moments, it held quite a few grammar errors, on top of being incredibly short, improperly worded and formatted, and used a lot of slang term. Another one that I found to be another great example was the oddly (when it shouldn’t have been) funny proposal where the writer resorted to speaking in a Scottish accent and using Scottish slang. Both of these are great examples (thank you to the authors of these if you are reading this) because the most common issue is a lack of formatting and a shortage of formal style.

[b]3.[/b] They think of a proposal, and immediately write one. The problem with this is that it takes some time to even begin writing a proposal. Sure, you can get lucky and happen to stumble across one in your brilliant mind that is not passed, failed, or already proposed, but generally this type of proposal writing can lead to a serious disappointment. This is expressly when you post your proposal on the forums or, in a less desirable circumstance, immediately to the chambers of the General Assembly, and find out that a resolution for it is already passed, or it is illegal in some way. All that hard work goes can go down the drain.

[b]4.[/b] They don’t research the topic. When you write a proposal, you need to understand WHAT you are writing about and WHY you are writing it. A simple “I’m writing about animal rights because I like animals” isn’t a good enough reason to write about it. I mean, sure, that can be your foundation, but you definitely need to do some research about animal rights and ways it is both commendable and condemnable first. You should also, at this stage, be asking yourself “How can I convince people to support it?” “How can I show while in the proposal WHY I am writing about it” and “How can I tell people that this is an absolute MUST for a resolution?” If you can answer all these questions, you are well on your way to writing a good proposal.

So, in all essentials, do the exact OPPOSITE of what many people choose to do in points 1-4, which means think of a proposal and check to make sure its legal, research the topic, read the world assembly proposal rules before posting, and ALWAYS use the forums; this includes posting it here so that many more experienced eyes can read over it and gave you advice.

The next thing I want to point out that makes a good assembly proposal is that it [b] SHOULD NOT[/b] be lengthy unless it’s absolutely required. If your proposal somehow manages to come out to over 1,000 words, that’s a bit too much to chew on and a lot of people probably won’t end up reading it. Keep it to the essentials. If your topic is so incredibly vast and expansive that you need to go over 1,000 words; that’s fine! People will recognize that when they read your draft title and immediately think “Oh! This is quite a topic.” If your draft is 1,000+ words on how food poisoning can be prevented, a lot of people (though not all,) will likely get bored after a couple hundred words and move on. But if your draft is 1,000+ words on national healthcare fallacies in underdeveloped nations, people will recognize “Oh, that’s a broad topic. I better buckle in for this one.” In short, make sure to keep your proposals trimmed and neat. Even if your proposal does require an unfathomable amount of words and characters you should try to trim it as much as possible.

Which brings me to the next portion of this section: how would I trim a proposal down? There are several ways to do it. For one, you can avoid over describing things, or even make it psychological and avoid using overly-large words such as “Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia”, which ironically enough is the fear of long words. The only good time to use long words like that would be when you are being as specific as possible for the sake of science.
For example, if I was doing a proposal about the importance of preserving ancient fossils, I may want to use the scientific names in my examples, which will add to the professionality of the proposal as a whole. As a side note, you probably skipped over at least ¾ of that word that means “to fear long words,” because you can’t pronounce it all or you just thought that it is completely unnecessary to read or even say all together. That is exactly what some people will do if they see a long or overcomplicated and unneeded word in a proposal, and their expectations for it may or may not drop (this is just by human nature!) Leading by example, a draft clause for, say, work benefits, can be turned from:

[box]Does hereby,
1: Mandate that employees currently working in dangerous locations such as mines, motor vehicle factories, factories that contain excessive amounts of heat, or pose a risk due to large amounts of loose, sharp, or heavy objects/machinery, are to receive work compensation for operating in such perilous climates such as those listed above, and that proper safety requirements are to be enlisted by the employer in order to ensure the overall safety of the employees on its premises.[/box]

To:

[box]Does hereby,

1: Mandate that employees working in environments that can pose a significant physical or health threat are entitled to work compensation, and employers are required to enlist appropriate safety measures for the wellbeing of their employees.[/box]

That revised one is considerably less wordy and more universal under “significant physical or health threat” instead of specifics that can end up causing loop-holes and be able to be bypassed. This is in itself a must. Instead of including specific examples, keep it more universal with something similar to the example above so that there is absolutely no way that there are loop-holes present.

[b][u]How Should I Format My Proposals?[/u][/b]

The way proposals have been formatted have changed a lot since antiquity, where they were kept short, simple, and wildly un-similar to modern day proposals. A proposal should be formatted in a way that is both professional but also easy to read, which means if you are posting here you shouldn’t be using hot pink or a primary color that scorches the poor eyes that try to read it. Neither should you be using words like “bamboozled” or “skedaddled” unless you are writing a joke proposal. Instead, keep your colors defaulted, as they will automatically adjust to whatever fits the persons chosen website theme. A bright yellow, for example doesn’t go with the classic white and pale-skin colored site theme, and can be extremely hard and eye-straining to read.
The next thing you want to do when formatting your proposal is to use proper [b]command[/b] words, which are the words that you use at the beginning of each clause, article, or term in your proposal.

For example,
[box][b]TESTIFYING[/b] that electrical safety has been poorly regarded in many member nations, and largely overlooked by officials as a visible safety concern.[/box]

The word “testifying” is the command word in the clause. Do note, that using caps-lock for your command word isn’t necessarily good, but overall it is your preference. Instead, it should be more along the lines of [i]Testifying[/i]. Note how it uses italics instead of bold and all capital letters. You may even choose to not format it at all when submitting, which some people will prefer to do to make it seem more simplistic and smooth. Additionally, the sentence(s) following your command word should be well-thought out and worded properly so that it flows with the purpose of the proposal, and is easily understood by most readers. For example,

[box][i]Testifying[/i] that electrical safety has been extensively marginalized in many associate nations, and largely snubbed by bureaucrats as a perceptible safety alarm.[/box]

If this was part of your proposal, a lot of people will be thinking “why don’t they just say ‘officials’ instead of ‘bureaucrats,’ and what even is ‘marginalized?” To be honest, I didn’t even know marginalized was a word until I used a thesaurus to look up a synonym for ‘disregarded.’ That is exactly what many people will think unless they take the time to look it up in a dictionary, which a good majority will not.  You may also want to use commas instead of periods so that your clauses flow as one. For example, taking the aforementioned example, instead of putting a period after “alarm”, replace it with “alarm,” and then continue onto your next clause, and repeat.

Additionally, when you actually get to the actual articles of your proposal, you should use common number and letter points, like an outline, which is exactly what your articles are; they are an outline for what the proposal intends to do if passed. For example:
[box]1: Mandates that electrical companies are required to undergo a semi-extensive license check in which their capabilities for operation are tested, and their license either renewed yearly or terminated.
A.
Establishes the impartial [i]Electrical Certification Committee[/i] to review, renew, and terminate electrical handling licenses.[/box]

Next, when you define something… Using the same draft topic, its suggested the definition for words or phrases related to your topic at the [b]TOP OF[/b] the articles. In other words, your definitions should be the first pieces of your articles. For example:

[box]1: Defines “electrical malpractice” as the disregard of one or more safety procedures or protocols that can be disastrous, extremely costly, or dangerous if not addressed in an orderly and sufficient manner.[/box]
Once you have defined what you need to clarify, you will generally want to use that word at some point in your articles as you are defining a specific word, not a variant of it. For example, it would not be prudent to use the word “electrical misconduct,” as you defined “electrical malpractice” not “misconduct,” and while they, in all essentials, mean the same thing, it takes away from the organization and appearance of your overall draft.

[b][u]Everything’s formatted and wrote, now what?[/u][/b]

If you believe your draft is good to go, do not submit it to the General Assembly just yet. Instead, you should submit it to the [url=https://forum.nationstates.net/viewforum.php?f=9]General Assembly Forums[/url] for review by people with more experienced skillsets. Don’t be afraid to accept criticism! If you get some backlash or criticism from some forum posters, do not fret! Everyone needs criticism on the path to being a professional at it.

You should wait AT LEAST 20 days (sometimes longer) after submitting to the General Assembly Forums to allow for enough people to see it, and give suggestions for improvement. You should expect to revise your draft quite a bit on its path to perfection. This is the just of proposal writing to get you started. Again, I highly suggest reading proposal rules before writing or submitting a proposal to the General Assembly forum, or to the General Assembly it’s self. Also, don’t get discouraged by the lengthy wait and the work needed to be able to polish it for submission. When that time comes, it will feel great when you finally get to submit it!

[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]

[size=150][b][u]TL;DR[/u][/b][/size]

2: Be able to answer why you want to write it, what you are writing about, and how you will persuade others to agree with you
3: Always review the general assembly forums and rules before posting a proposal to  make sure it isn’t illegal
5: Always use proper command words such as “Testifying” “Mandating” “Proclaiming” or “Asserting” in your clauses.
[box]1: Main Topic
2: Main Topic 2[/box]
8: Always be creative! Don’t go for common problems because they are likely already a resolution.
9: Always properly format your proposals (don’t use strange or abnormal colors or words such as “bamboozled” or “skedaddled” unless it’s a joke proposal)

Happy proposal writing, and good luck with your path to joining the list of Resolution Writers!

[hr][/hr]

- [nation]Asterguard[/nation][/quote]
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Asterguard
Attaché

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Asterguard » Sun May 03, 2020 1:57 am

Kenmoria wrote:This is a helpful guide; below is the fixed BBCode. You had a few missing closing tags.
[quote="Asterguard";p="37047484"][b][u]DRAFT UPDATE LOG[/u][/b]

[b][size=150]BB-code formatting (for this post at least) is now officially broken as of 5/3/20, 12:53 AM (PST,) 3:53 AM (EST).[/size][/b]

[i]Version 1.1[/i]
[i][spoiler][u]Version 1.1[/u]
- Repaired spelling & punctuation mistakes throughout guide[/spoiler]
[/i]

[b][u]Pupils Principals for Planning a Proper Proposal[/u][/b]

Also note that this guide is [size=100]FAIRLY LONG[/size]. If you dislike long literature in general, scroll to the bottom to see the TL;DR of the guide, which is only some short bulletin points for your convenience.
[hr][/hr]

So you’ve joined the World Assembly and you see these little pieces of writing called ‘proposals.’ What are they? A [b]proposal[/b] is a suggestion for a world assembly resolution that is meant for several purposes, such as improving rights, furthering democracy, or limiting things that are commonly considered ‘bad.’ They are extremely important to the game in the way that they are an important aspect to gameplay. This is more so in the Security Council, where people write resolutions to condemn or commend each other, and regions are liberated (removing password locks) to allow for attack. But that’s an entirely different subject, for now, let’s move onto General Assembly Proposals

[size=200][b][u]General Assembly Proposals[/u][/b][/size]

[b][u]What Makes a Good General Assembly Proposal?[/u][/b]

[b]1.[/b] They don’t look at the forums to see if the proposal is already made, passed, or lost. If a good proposal got to quorum but still failed, the odds of someone making a new proposal with the same idea and actually getting it passed is slim to none, unless that proposal happens to be so incredibly polished and defined, it is ten folds better than the old one. This is mostly because that if the vote failed, its either one of two things; either the proposal wasn’t well polished after writing or it is just generally unsupported.

[b]2.[/b] They don’t read the world assembly rules before posting. We should commend the people aspiring to be world assembly proposal writers, but the one thing I notice in a lot of proposals: they don’t read the rules. There’s a lot of areas to go wrong on, and one of them is improper formatting and slang terms. The most recent and most comical “help a brotha out” proposal is a perfect example. In its comedic gold moments, it held quite a few grammar errors, on top of being incredibly short, improperly worded and formatted, and used a lot of slang term. Another one that I found to be another great example was the oddly (when it shouldn’t have been) funny proposal where the writer resorted to speaking in a Scottish accent and using Scottish slang. Both of these are great examples (thank you to the authors of these if you are reading this) because the most common issue is a lack of formatting and a shortage of formal style.

[b]3.[/b] They think of a proposal, and immediately write one. The problem with this is that it takes some time to even begin writing a proposal. Sure, you can get lucky and happen to stumble across one in your brilliant mind that is not passed, failed, or already proposed, but generally this type of proposal writing can lead to a serious disappointment. This is expressly when you post your proposal on the forums or, in a less desirable circumstance, immediately to the chambers of the General Assembly, and find out that a resolution for it is already passed, or it is illegal in some way. All that hard work goes can go down the drain.

[b]4.[/b] They don’t research the topic. When you write a proposal, you need to understand WHAT you are writing about and WHY you are writing it. A simple “I’m writing about animal rights because I like animals” isn’t a good enough reason to write about it. I mean, sure, that can be your foundation, but you definitely need to do some research about animal rights and ways it is both commendable and condemnable first. You should also, at this stage, be asking yourself “How can I convince people to support it?” “How can I show while in the proposal WHY I am writing about it” and “How can I tell people that this is an absolute MUST for a resolution?” If you can answer all these questions, you are well on your way to writing a good proposal.

So, in all essentials, do the exact OPPOSITE of what many people choose to do in points 1-4, which means think of a proposal and check to make sure its legal, research the topic, read the world assembly proposal rules before posting, and ALWAYS use the forums; this includes posting it here so that many more experienced eyes can read over it and gave you advice.

The next thing I want to point out that makes a good assembly proposal is that it [b] SHOULD NOT[/b] be lengthy unless it’s absolutely required. If your proposal somehow manages to come out to over 1,000 words, that’s a bit too much to chew on and a lot of people probably won’t end up reading it. Keep it to the essentials. If your topic is so incredibly vast and expansive that you need to go over 1,000 words; that’s fine! People will recognize that when they read your draft title and immediately think “Oh! This is quite a topic.” If your draft is 1,000+ words on how food poisoning can be prevented, a lot of people (though not all,) will likely get bored after a couple hundred words and move on. But if your draft is 1,000+ words on national healthcare fallacies in underdeveloped nations, people will recognize “Oh, that’s a broad topic. I better buckle in for this one.” In short, make sure to keep your proposals trimmed and neat. Even if your proposal does require an unfathomable amount of words and characters you should try to trim it as much as possible.

[box]Does hereby,
1: Mandate that employees currently working in dangerous locations such as mines, motor vehicle factories, factories that contain excessive amounts of heat, or pose a risk due to large amounts of loose, sharp, or heavy objects/machinery, are to receive work compensation for operating in such perilous climates such as those listed above, and that proper safety requirements are to be enlisted by the employer in order to ensure the overall safety of the employees on its premises.[/box]

To:

[box]Does hereby,

1: Mandate that employees working in environments that can pose a significant physical or health threat are entitled to work compensation, and employers are required to enlist appropriate safety measures for the wellbeing of their employees.[/box]

[b][u]How Should I Format My Proposals?[/u][/b]

The next thing you want to do when formatting your proposal is to use proper [b]command[/b] words, which are the words that you use at the beginning of each clause, article, or term in your proposal.

For example,
[box][b]TESTIFYING[/b] that electrical safety has been poorly regarded in many member nations, and largely overlooked by officials as a visible safety concern.[/box]

The word “testifying” is the command word in the clause. Do note, that using caps-lock for your command word isn’t necessarily good, but overall it is your preference. Instead, it should be more along the lines of [i]Testifying[/i]. Note how it uses italics instead of bold and all capital letters. You may even choose to not format it at all when submitting, which some people will prefer to do to make it seem more simplistic and smooth. Additionally, the sentence(s) following your command word should be well-thought out and worded properly so that it flows with the purpose of the proposal, and is easily understood by most readers. For example,

[box][i]Testifying[/i] that electrical safety has been extensively marginalized in many associate nations, and largely snubbed by bureaucrats as a perceptible safety alarm.[/box]

If this was part of your proposal, a lot of people will be thinking “why don’t they just say ‘officials’ instead of ‘bureaucrats,’ and what even is ‘marginalized?” To be honest, I didn’t even know marginalized was a word until I used a thesaurus to look up a synonym for ‘disregarded.’ That is exactly what many people will think unless they take the time to look it up in a dictionary, which a good majority will not.  You may also want to use commas instead of periods so that your clauses flow as one. For example, taking the aforementioned example, instead of putting a period after “alarm”, replace it with “alarm,” and then continue onto your next clause, and repeat.

[box]1: Mandates that electrical companies are required to undergo a semi-extensive license check in which their capabilities for operation are tested, and their license either renewed yearly or terminated.
A.
Establishes the impartial [i]Electrical Certification Committee[/i] to review, renew, and terminate electrical handling licenses.[/box]

Next, when you define something… Using the same draft topic, its suggested the definition for words or phrases related to your topic at the [b]TOP OF[/b] the articles. In other words, your definitions should be the first pieces of your articles. For example:

[box]1: Defines “electrical malpractice” as the disregard of one or more safety procedures or protocols that can be disastrous, extremely costly, or dangerous if not addressed in an orderly and sufficient manner.[/box]

[b][u]Everything’s formatted and wrote, now what?[/u][/b]

If you believe your draft is good to go, do not submit it to the General Assembly just yet. Instead, you should submit it to the [url=https://forum.nationstates.net/viewforum.php?f=9]General Assembly Forums[/url] for review by people with more experienced skillsets. Don’t be afraid to accept criticism! If you get some backlash or criticism from some forum posters, do not fret! Everyone needs criticism on the path to being a professional at it.

[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]

[size=150][b][u]TL;DR[/u][/b][/size]

3: Always review the general assembly forums and rules before posting a proposal to  make sure it isn’t illegal
[box]1: Main Topic
2: Main Topic 2[/box]

[hr][/hr]

- [nation]Asterguard[/nation][/quote]

Thank you. Didn't even notice brackets missing.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 03, 2020 7:15 am

OK, some commentary/criticism that hopefully doesn't result in complete deletion this time...

Asterguard wrote:Pupils Principals for Planning a Proper Proposal

I get the alliteration fun, but for someone looking at this forum who doesn't know much about it and would most benefit from this, this title is not very helpful. "A Guide to Proposal Writing" would be more accurate.

Guide for World Assembly Proposals.

Should likely be "for General Assembly Proposals", because SC proposals have quite different rules and requirements. People who would most benefit from this likely do not know there's a difference.

You can already check the World General Assembly proposal rules to see what’s allowed and what’s not, but I think that it’s better to actually show examples, and detail some of the stuff that the actual rules don’t.

The words "proposal rules" should likely be a link to the rules. I know they're blatantly obvious to anyone bothering to look, but then again people most in need of this advice likely don't know...

Here's how to make the link:
[url=https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=159348]proposal rules[/url]

Also note that this guide is FAIRLY LONG. If you dislike long literature in general, scroll to the bottom to see the TL;DR of the guide, which is only some short bulletin points for your convenience.

Did you intend for the capital letter words to be larger than the rest? 100 is the percentage of normal font size, not pixel size of letter. If you want tiny bit bigger, try 105 or 110.

So you’ve joined the World Assembly and you see these little pieces of writing called ‘proposals.’ What are they? A proposal is a suggestion for a world assembly resolution that is meant for several purposes, such as improving rights, furthering democracy, or limiting things that are commonly considered ‘bad.’ They are extremely important to the game in the way that they are an important aspect to gameplay. This is more so in the Security Council, where people write resolutions to condemn or commend each other, and regions are liberated (removing password locks) to allow for attack. But that’s an entirely different subject, for now, let’s move onto General Assembly Proposals

If the intent is to make this NOT confusing for newbies, it's perhaps best to somewhat restructure this and leave out mentions of gameplay and SC entirely, and emphasize the fact that GA resolutions affect the nation's statistics (the same ones that daily issues affect). This is a constant point of confusion to newbies, so it's perhaps best spelled out.

Consider adding something maybe to the tune of "If you have a great idea for a resolution that sounds really obviously something that there should be an international law for, chances are someone else has already had it and thus there already exists a resolution on that topic". It's worth repeating again and again that people should check the existing resolutions first, to save themselves from pointless effort.

1. They don’t look at the forums to see if the proposal is already made, passed, or lost.

"They don't look in the passed resolutions thread to see if the resolution already exists, or the WA Archive if such a proposal got to vote but failed to pass" would be better, because it doesn't matter if someone has written a draft on a topic already, as long as it's not plagiarized from.

If a good proposal got to quorum but still failed,

"Getting to quorum" won't mean anything to a newbie. Just say "got to vote".

the odds of someone making a new proposal with the same idea and actually getting it passed is slim to none, unless that proposal happens to be so incredibly polished and defined, that it is ten folds better than the old one.

Grammar. Also, I disagree with this bit, as "odds ... getting it passed is slim to none" is not necessarily anywhere near true. There could have been a major delegation stomp against it early on because of personal reasons against the author, or there might have been a major RL event (imagine if someone tried to pass something now saying you're not allowed to disclose someone's infectiousness status even to people who might have caught a deadly disease off of them, or something like that) that at the time made it impossible to pass it.

This is mostly because that if the vote failed,

"If the proposal failed to pass", because the vote never fails, as it's a process.

its either one of two things; either the proposal wasn’t well polished after writing or it is just generally unsupported.

"Or the political atmosphere is against it currently" or similar addition.

2. They don’t read the world assembly General Assembly proposal rules before posting.

Fixed.

We should commend

To avoid confusion, I'd suggest shying away from "commend/condemn" words entirely.

the people aspiring to be world assembly proposal writers, but the one thing I notice in a lot of proposals: they don’t read the proposal rules. There’s There are a lot of areas to go wrong on, and one of them is improper formatting

Some fixes.

and slang terms.

To my knowledge slang has yet to be the sole reason why a proposal would have failed. I could've failed to get approvals, but that's a different issue. If the slang made it entirely incomprehensible, then that, again, is a different issue. If you mean "not written as a law", then you should actually use that wording. It would help newbies understand that illegality better, as well.

The most recent and most comical “help a brotha out” proposal is a perfect example.

Given the amount of proposals submitted daily, "the most recent" is already false. If the proposal was posted in the Illegal Proposals thread, link to that post (with a "posted here", so people don't think the person posting it was the author), otherwise I'd suggest making this example a bit more general, or posting the entire text here (minus author's name) in a spoiler. Using concretic examples benefits from the presence of the examples.

because the most common issue is a lack of formatting and a shortage of formal style.

See, this is more likely the case, than "slang terms". Also, this whole section could have the subheader of "common mistakes, advice further down" or something similar.

3. They think of a proposal, and immediately write one. The problem with this is that it takes some time to even begin writing a proposal. Sure, you can get lucky and happen to stumble across one in your brilliant mind that is has not passed, failed, or been already proposed, but generally this type of proposal writing can lead to a serious disappointment, lots of wasted writing effort, hostility when being told the idea is not workable, and the prospective author ragequitting this part of NationStates entirely. This is expressly when you post your proposal on the forums or, in a less desirable circumstances, immediately submit it to the chambers of the General Assembly, and find out that a resolution for it is already passed, or it your proposal is illegal in some way. All that hard work can go down the drain.

Some fixes and honesty.

4. They don’t research the topic. When you write a proposal, you need to understand WHAT you are writing about and WHY you are writing it. A simple “I’m writing about animal rights because I like animals” isn’t a good enough reason to write about it. I mean, sure, that can be your foundation, but you definitely need to do some research about animal rights and ways it is both commendable and condemnable how different nations in the Real Life deal with the issue first. You should also, at this stage, be asking yourself “How can I convince people to support it?” “How can I show while in the proposal WHY I am writing about it” and “How can I tell people that this is an absolute MUST for a resolution an international law?” If you can answer all these questions, you are well on your way to writing a good proposal.

Some fixes, staying away from the commend/condemn language, and the "learn from RL" addition, which is especially good for the example you mentioned.

So, in all essentials essence, do the exact OPPOSITE of what many people choose to do in points 1-4, which means think of a proposal and check to make sure its legal, research the topic, read the world assembly General Assembly proposal rules before posting, and ALWAYS use the forums; this includes posting it here so that many more experienced eyes can read over it and give you advice. And do understand that even if you think your idea is the best ever, the criticism offered on the forums is meant to make you see the flaws you haven't spotted yet, so that you can improve your idea, or realize it is not something that can be done. The criticism is of your proposal, not of you.

Again some fixes and the addition about taking criticism as it is offered. Maybe if more newbies understood that, we'd have fewer ragequits.

The next thing I want to point out that makes a good assembly proposal is that it SHOULD NOT be lengthy unless it’s absolutely required. If your proposal somehow manages to come out to over 1,000 words, that’s a bit too much to chew on and a lot of people probably won’t end up reading it. Keep it to the essentials. If your topic is so incredibly vast and expansive that you need to go over 1,000 words; that’s fine! People will recognize that when they read your draft title and immediately think “Oh! This is quite a topic.” If your draft is 1,000+ words on how food poisoning can be prevented, a lot of people (though not all,) will likely get bored after a couple hundred words and move on. But if your draft is 1,000+ words on national healthcare fallacies in underdeveloped nations, people will recognize “Oh, that’s a broad topic. I better buckle in for this one.” In short, make sure to keep your proposals trimmed and neat. Even if your proposal does require an unfathomable amount of words and characters, you should try to trim it as much as possible.

Given the character limit, is it even possible to go over 1000 words? And in any case, you should likely specify that there is a character limit and that it counts every keypress, including spaces (and to my knowledge enter presses as well?) and coding. Word and such might have a different way of counting characters than the submission form. And your example on the "when long is acceptable" sounds like an essay topic, so I'd suggest looking up actual passed resolutions that are short (not the shortest, but maybe around a hundred words) and long (fairly sure there are a few that barely scraped past the new, longer limit, too), and use those.

I suggest using "3/4" instead of the specific character you have there, not just because the character makes the numbers tiny but also because it might not render properly in all systems people use to read this.

Instead of including specific examples, keep it more universal with something similar to the example above so that there is absolutely no way that there are loop-holes present.

Or do what is usually done, and include a list of examples that are examples only, the "including but not limited to" or "such as" wordings.

The way proposals have been formatted

For grammar, needs to be "ways".

have changed a lot since antiquity, where they were kept short, simple, and wildly un-similar to modern day proposals.

Not entirely certain this helps, given the expanded character limit and that "antiquity" proposals were NSUN ones and no longer exist in the game. (And before IA or BA throws in the link to the archive somewhere offsite, my point was the resolutions as they exist in the game that a newbie looking up resolutions finds them.) Proposal rules have also changed along the way, so maybe saying something about that instead - that the limits and rules were different, so the older resolutions are not always the best guide on how to do things - would be more useful.

A proposal should be formatted in a way that is both professional but also easy to read, which means if you are posting here you shouldn’t be using hot pink or a primary color that scorches the poor eyes that try to read it.

Also, colour effects don't work when the proposal is submitted (I just tested with the preview of the submission form), so aside from possibly breaking the No Garish Posting forum rule, if submitted as is, the proposal would have naked code in it, which would make it look unfinished.

Neither should you be using words like “bamboozled” or “skedaddled” unless you are writing a joke proposal. Which should never be submitted, but instead be posted here.

Again, not entirely certain why slang is picked out specifically, but the joke proposal thread link should definitely be included.

Instead, keep your colors defaulted, as they will automatically adjust to whatever fits the persons chosen website theme. A bright yellow, for example doesn’t go with the classic white and pale-skin colored site theme, and can be extremely hard and eye-straining to read.

And may break forum rules on garish posting. This should be underlined a lot. You're lacking enter presses here and there, btw, such as right after ^that bit, and earlier, after the words "for the sake of science". Your empty lines have an unnecessary spacebar press, though. Not sure if that's an artefact from whatever word processor you use, but it's very noticeable when editing for quoting.

The next thing you want to do when formatting your proposal is to use proper command words, which are the words that you use at the beginning of each clause, article, or term in your proposal.

You mean verbs?

The word “testifying” is the command word in the clause. Do note, that using caps-lock for your command word isn’t necessarily good, but overall it is your preference. Instead, it should be more along the lines of Testifying. Note how it uses italics instead of bold and all capital letters.

Actually, using caps-lock is often preferable to using italics. :P

You may even choose to not format it at all when submitting, which some people will prefer to do to make it seem more simplistic and smooth.

Comma missing, should be "to do, to".

Additionally, the sentence(s) following your command word should be well-thought out and worded properly so that it flows with the purpose of the proposal, and is easily understood by most readers. For example,

You've completely failed to point out the thing that "-ing" ending words should be used in preamble - which you don't talk about AT ALL, which is a pretty big thing to fail to include - and not in the active clauses.

Consider replacing "articles" with "clauses"?

Next, when you define something… Using the same draft topic, its suggested the definition for words or phrases related to your topic be at the TOP OF the articles. In other words, your definitions should be the first pieces of your articles.

Definitely use "clauses" and "at the top of active clauses", here. If this is meant to be a proposal writing guide, then it should give advice on what's most commonly accepted style of writing proposals, and also use wording (clauses instead of articles) that is most commonly used of said bits and bobs. Basically, try to enable the newbie authors to understand the feedback they get.

Once you have defined what you need to clarify, you will generally want to use that word at some point in your articles clauses as you are defining a specific word, not a variant of it. For example, it would not be prudent to use the word “electrical misconduct,” as you defined “electrical malpractice” not “misconduct,” and while they, in all essentials, mean the same thing, it takes away from the organization and appearance of your overall draft and most likely creates a loophole.

Loophole creation in this way is one of the most common mistakes.

Everything’s formatted and wrote written, now what?

Grammar.

If you believe your draft is good to go, do not submit it to the General Assembly just yet. Instead, you should submit it to the General Assembly Forums for review by people with more experienced skillsets. Don’t be afraid to accept criticism! If you get some backlash or criticism from some forum posters, do not fret! Everyone needs criticism on the path to being a professional at it.

Just one GA forum. :P And should probably be "when" instead of "if".

This is the just gist of proposal writing to get you started.

I think that is what you meant?

or to the General Assembly it’s self itself.

Simple fix.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly