Page 128 of 130

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:54 am
by Imperium Anglorum
Such a guide doesn't exist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:59 am
by Graintfjall
Urasimu wa Kati wrote:I saw that existing GA resolutions are categorized and searchable, which is very useful.

Beyond that, are there any sort of high-level summaries out there of the most prominent mandates that the WA puts upon nations? A sort of, "hey, if you're going to join the WA, here's what you should know your nation is agreeing to - here's what will now be automatically outlawed, here's what will be legalized, etc."?

No.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:07 am
by Urasimu wa Kati
Thank you both for the answers.

If/once I've built up a little credibility, I might attempt to make something like that. Could be useful for discouraging redundancy, may mark some resolutions as targets for repeal, and could be useful for people newly active with the GA.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:16 am
by Imperium Anglorum
That's very difficult; it requires you to do a lot of interpretations that people disagree on. Eg does CoCR itself mandate the legalisation of same-sex marriages?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:22 am
by Urasimu wa Kati
Imperium Anglorum wrote:That's very difficult; it requires you to do a lot of interpretations that people disagree on. Eg does CoCR itself mandate the legalisation of same-sex marriages?


Fair point. If I were ever to attempt such a thing, I don't think I would include any implicit mandates - I would only use what is explicitly stated in resolutions.

I'd rather miss possible mandates than include disputed ones. So in the case of the Charter, I wouldn't include mandatory legalization of same-sex marriages.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:58 am
by Graintfjall
Far too complex and not worth the effort that would be involved putting it together.

What you could do is go through the resolutions and think about how your nation would comply with them. For example, whether or not you agree with their approach, Auralia or Knoot.

But trying to write a general one for everyone probably won't work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:05 am
by Graintfjall
I'm guessing the answer is "no", but does anyone track failed/removed proposals? I was wondering when we would reach 1000 WA votes. We have a little over 500 passed resolutions -1 (Resolution #1 wasn't a WA vote). Proposals that fail or are discarded don't get numbered. The NSwiki timeline used to track them but is there a current log of them beyond hand-counting archived threads?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:13 am
by Kenmoria
Graintfjall wrote:I'm guessing the answer is "no", but does anyone track failed/removed proposals? I was wondering when we would reach 1000 WA votes. We have a little over 500 passed resolutions -1 (Resolution #1 wasn't a WA vote). Proposals that fail or are discarded don't get numbered. The NSwiki timeline used to track them but is there a current log of them beyond hand-counting archived threads?

I think the answer is indeed ‘no’. The SC has a failed proposal thread, but the GA never did, leaving someone just with counting manually the archived thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:49 pm
by Sierra Lyricalia
Kenmoria wrote:
Graintfjall wrote:I'm guessing the answer is "no", but does anyone track failed/removed proposals? I was wondering when we would reach 1000 WA votes. We have a little over 500 passed resolutions -1 (Resolution #1 wasn't a WA vote). Proposals that fail or are discarded don't get numbered. The NSwiki timeline used to track them but is there a current log of them beyond hand-counting archived threads?

I think the answer is indeed ‘no’. The SC has a failed proposal thread, but the GA never did, leaving someone just with counting manually the archived thread.


IA keeps a database of this, actually. There are records of proposal names going back to 2014, but not all entries appear to be populated with actual vote data.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:00 pm
by Graintfjall
Ew, SC votes.

Thanks, that is helpful. I guess manually splitting out the SC votes wouldn't be too hard, and then pre-2014 ... hmm, that's 6 years, but better than having to do all 12.

edit: does NewTexas still archive all votes? I imagine the Texas forum went bye-bye with invision/zeta, but he was always pretty comprehensive?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:34 pm
by Omigodtheykilledkenny
He probably is still collecting data on votes; the last time I checked on Texas' stat engine, however, it didn't appear to have been updated in a while.

The Texas forum is still there; it was transferred to Tapatalk along with the rest of the active zeta boards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 pm
by Imperium Anglorum
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:IA keeps a database of this, actually. There are records of proposal names going back to 2014, but not all entries appear to be populated with actual vote data.

I saw the link. Some of the older entries have bad error handling code (eg when a cross-reference to a WA opinion can't be found for lack of information; analogous to a null pointer). Just corrected it. Nb know also that you can click on the years and get a list of resolutions in that year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 pm
by Untecna
Would this be a good argument for a repeal?

The General Assembly, it's associates, and all other tied organizations,

Applauding the efforts of GAR#506 to allow the public to access court records and documents,

Noting that Clause 1 states that "No limitation may be enforced on the ability of member nation inhabitants to read or reproduce such documents; nor may any copyright be recognised or enforced over documents produced by member nation courts." allowing the unlimited reproduction of court documents, and with no copyright, meaning that documents can not be taken off by the court due to needs for confidentiality, and meaning all unsealed documents are in the public domain,

Seeing that while Clause 1 also states that the records are available on request, the documents are also online, making it essentially impossible for confidentiality and redaction of certain portions or all portions to be impossible,

Noting that because these documents are online, they can go from nation to nation, potentially creating legal issues between two or more governments,

Noting that Clause 2 states that all people have a right to court records, potentially interfering with the sovereignty of a nation, and forcing them to allow such documents to be accessed regardless of what the laws of the nation are,

Noting that Clause 3 states that all documents that are unsealed are to go to the Universal Library Coalition, potentially causing legal trouble in the likes of which are stated above,

Noting that Clause 1 enforces a no-fee policy, further infringing on a nation's choice, and destroying a way of extra revenue for the court to support itself,

Hereby repeals GAR#506 "Public Access To Court Records"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:12 pm
by Untecna
And sorry Imperium.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:21 pm
by Separatist Peoples
Untecna wrote:And sorry Imperium.

Q&A is not the place for drafts. Post a new topic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 pm
by Wille-Harlia
How does one know what strength their proposal would fall under?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 pm
by Imperium Anglorum
It's a feeling about how broad the proposal is. If your proposal touches all trade, it's probably strong. If it touches a lot of trade, significant. If some specific form of trade, mild. (For Free Trade, in these examples.) There also is a resoluteness axis: if it touches all trade by recommending people do something (and only that), it's not strong or significant.

My take though? If you want a really good answer, ask an issues editor. They probably won't tell you why it is strong, significant, or mild, but they will tell you which one it is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:31 pm
by Wallenburg
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's a feeling about how broad the proposal is. If your proposal touches all trade, it's probably strong. If it touches a lot of trade, significant. If some specific form of trade, mild. (For Free Trade, in these examples.) There also is a resoluteness axis: if it touches all trade by recommending people do something (and only that), it's not strong or significant.

My take though? If you want a really good answer, ask an issues editor. They probably won't tell you why it is strong, significant, or mild, but they will tell you which one it is.

Alternatively, draft it out, and ask a GenSec member, since they actually make those decisions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:29 am
by Eireus
So how does this all work I was new-found out it was actually kinda fun but I'm still confused can anyone give me a basic rundown.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:08 am
by Sierra Lyricalia
Eireus wrote:So how does this all work I was new-found out it was actually kinda fun but I'm still confused can anyone give me a basic rundown.


See my signature below for the GA Proposal Rules list, whose OP also happens to contain several guides to the GA. Kelssek's is a great beginners' summary (the link titled "The global conspiracy is friendly!...").

Offsite, and more in-depth, Imperium Anglorum's NS site has entertaining reads that can lend context to what you read in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 am
by Novo Wagondia
Apologies if this has already been explained somewhere, but what effect does the repeal of GA legislation have on world census statistics? For example, the resolution currently at vote (GA #495, "Repeal 'Supporting And Valuing The Humanities'") is seeking to strike a mandate which had previously effected a rather noticeable increase in my nation's culture. Should the repeal be enacted, as seems likely, would my culture statistic suddenly drop now that its provisions are no longer mandatory?

This is a more or less constant worry of mine with repeal legislation. I find that many repeal efforts latch on to confusing language or technical inconsistencies in the target resolution, and having successfully undermined it, make no effort to submit a better-designed replacement. It would be easier to get behind repeal efforts if I knew my NS stats wouldn't be constantly suffering from these setbacks. So I figured I would ask just to make sure :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:36 am
by Separatist Peoples
Novo Wagondia wrote:Apologies if this has already been explained somewhere, but what effect does the repeal of GA legislation have on world census statistics? For example, the resolution currently at vote (GA #495, "Repeal 'Supporting And Valuing The Humanities'") is seeking to strike a mandate which had previously effected a rather noticeable increase in my nation's culture. Should the repeal be enacted, as seems likely, would my culture statistic suddenly drop now that its provisions are no longer mandatory?

This is a more or less constant worry of mine with repeal legislation. I find that many repeal efforts latch on to confusing language or technical inconsistencies in the target resolution, and having successfully undermined it, make no effort to submit a better-designed replacement. It would be easier to get behind repeal efforts if I knew my NS stats wouldn't be constantly suffering from these setbacks. So I figured I would ask just to make sure :)

I don't remember how much is public, but this much is observable: a repeal has a lesser negative effect on the stats affected by the target. So a International Security resolution inreases police and military spending, and a repeal would decrease military and police spending by less than the original resolution increased it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:18 am
by Eurva
hi im new here

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am
by Kenmoria
Eurva wrote:hi im new here

Hello, welcome to the General Assembly. This a subforum where people draft pieces of legislation that take effect on an international stage. You can see the passed resolutions list for examples of what we do here, or check the rules to see what rules resolutions have to follow. Enjoy your stay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 am
by Untecna
I find it that I still prefer WA legislation over my own. Anyone else without WA membership feel the same?