NATION

PASSWORD

General Assembly Q&A

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:59 am

Hannasea wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Civil Rights was a rename of an existing category and not a new creation. That's why.

The resolutions were still voted on as Human Rights. The Furry region voted against every single Human Rights resolution after the failure of Rights of Intelligent Beings, based on the name. You can't Yezhov that away, because the word human was exactly what they were voting on!

...though my naturally argumentative streak now has me in the unfortunate position of defending furries, so I guess I'll bow out. Just - annoying. Grrr.

Didnt edit in time for this! Idk if the change could be made nonretroactive. That didnt really come up. We were mostly concerned with clarify moving forward.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Hannasea wrote:*snip*

I thought Tinis vowed to vote against all resolutions till a sapient rights act passed? Your memory's probably better than mine.

Although, they did promise to go back and recategorize some resolutions after they created the Healthcare category. I don't know if they ever did.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

WA Author History

Postby Hulldom » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Hello, I’m new to the forums, but not new to NationStates. I am considering drafting a resolution to commend a nation, but I fear I may have an incomplete record of their participation in drafting and passing both General Assembly and Security Council resolutions. Is there a way to potentially search through the authors of resolutions in one or both chambers by author, without searching through every passed resolution/condemnation/commendation?
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:24 am

Hulldom wrote:Hello, I’m new to the forums, but not new to NationStates. I am considering drafting a resolution to commend a nation, but I fear I may have an incomplete record of their participation in drafting and passing both General Assembly and Security Council resolutions. Is there a way to potentially search through the authors of resolutions in one or both chambers by author, without searching through every passed resolution/condemnation/commendation?

Yes and yes (type in that author's name into the search bar at the top of both pages). Although it has not been updated for about a year or so, Auralia maintains a list of GA resolutions by author (including aliases). Commendations and Condemnations are the responsibility of the SC, not the GA.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Can a resolution have a non-binding clause relating to nonmember nations (for example, "Encourages nonmember nations to join the World Assembly")?
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Umeria wrote:Can a resolution have a non-binding clause relating to nonmember nations (for example, "Encourages nonmember nations to join the World Assembly")?

While this post isn't a definitive ruling by any means, it does imply that such a clause would be illegal, so long as it would be enough to make a mild proposal legal (if applied to member-states, not non-member-states). I believe that "Encourages..." would run afoul of this, but I'm not certain on that matter. It's probably possible if phrased correctly, though.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:24 pm

Umeria wrote:Can a resolution have a non-binding clause relating to nonmember nations (for example, "Encourages nonmember nations to join the World Assembly")?

I do believe there's precedent for non-members to voluntarily opt into WA programs.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 am

Cretox State wrote:

I do believe there's precedent for non-members to voluntarily opt into WA programs.

There is, but "encourages" is an active clause form (it's enough for a Mild strength resolution), and would be illegal legislation on non-members.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Urasimu wa Kati
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Urasimu wa Kati » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:44 am

Are there or have there ever been organized factions/parties in the World Assembly? Aside from the region system.

For example, a faction that supports great international political integration versus a faction that believes the WA has already gone too far in violating national sovereignty.

I can see from previous discussions on proposals that such differing opinions definitely exist, but I'm curious if there have ever been named organized factions around these differing approaches.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:47 am

Urasimu wa Kati wrote:Are there or have there ever been organized factions/parties in the World Assembly? Aside from the region system.

For example, a faction that supports great international political integration versus a faction that believes the WA has already gone too far in violating national sovereignty.

I can see from previous discussions on proposals that such differing opinions definitely exist, but I'm curious if there have ever been named organized factions around these differing approaches.

No, and it is not encouraged to start them.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Urasimu wa Kati
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Urasimu wa Kati » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Urasimu wa Kati wrote:Are there or have there ever been organized factions/parties in the World Assembly? Aside from the region system.

No, and it is not encouraged to start them.

Don't worry, I'm new and was not planning on attempting any such thing, was just curious of the history.

That said, I'm still curious - why is it not encouraged to start them?

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Urasimu wa Kati wrote:Are there or have there ever been organized factions/parties in the World Assembly?

Yes. The NSO was probably the most successful/influential. They're not really a thing any more, though, since regions got involved. There are some cross-regional groups but I wouldn't call them 'factions' as they don't tend to be based around political ideology, more just around existing for the sake of regional voting power.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:50 am

Urasimu wa Kati wrote:That said, I'm still curious - why is it not encouraged to start them?

The mods get annoyed by people wanting to start "promotional" threads for their orgs in the GA forum. But starting an organization in and of itself isn't necessarily discouraged, apart from the reason that it probably won't last long (see above post). There was an attempt to start an International Federalist (anti-NatSov) group, but it petered out after a few months; a few "think tanks" to promote various types of legislation, but they shared a similar fate; and an NSO "revival" that managed to do little else than send Iron Felix rampaging through the halls of the WA growling "MUST!! CRUSH!! FEDERALISM!!", and force Ardchoille to retaliate by "occupying" the Kennyite offices with scores of filthy hippies.

I'm not even sure if NatSov vs. IntFed is even a thing anymore -- is it?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:44 am

Not really, in my view.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:16 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:I'm not even sure if NatSov vs. IntFed is even a thing anymore -- is it?

Arguments for NatSov are used all the time - I haven't seen IntFed arguments (at least specified as such) in ages - but there are no real "identities" for either side anymore. It's more a continuum now, with few if any people at the opposite ends, with most falling somewhere in between.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Is there precedent for repealing resolutions made redundant after a more comprehensive one is passed?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:34 am

Yes. Protection of Dolphins Act was repealed after UNCoESB passed.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:38 am

Graintfjall wrote:Yes. Protection of Dolphins Act was repealed after UNCoESB passed.

Thank you
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:53 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Is there precedent for repealing resolutions made redundant after a more comprehensive one is passed?

Just, for the sake of nerves of everyone on this board, don't try to do it with the abortion ones. :P

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:20 am

Araraukar wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Is there precedent for repealing resolutions made redundant after a more comprehensive one is passed?

Just, for the sake of nerves of everyone on this board, don't try to do it with the abortion ones. :P

I won’t ;)

Grey County
Envoy

Founded: Jun 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Grey County » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:11 am

I had a weird thought. What if after months of drafting a proposal a random nation took ur latest draft and proposed it. What would happen.

It seems like their should be an illegality for proposals stolen but I dont think there is

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:14 am

Grey County wrote:I had a weird thought. What if after months of drafting a proposal a random nation took ur latest draft and proposed it. What would happen.

It seems like their should be an illegality for proposals stolen but I dont think there is

That’d be totally illegal for plagiarism

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:51 pm

Grey County wrote:I had a weird thought. What if after months of drafting a proposal a random nation took ur latest draft and proposed it. What would happen.

That's what happened in the Security Council. See Condemn Sil Millise for more information.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 am

Honeydewistania wrote:

That’d be totally illegal for plagiarism

And for the record, submitting a plagiarized proposal gets you kicked out of the WA for a year. It's one of the non-negotiable rules of NationStates.

Urasimu wa Kati
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Urasimu wa Kati » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:03 am

I saw that existing GA resolutions are categorized and searchable, which is very useful.

Beyond that, are there any sort of high-level summaries out there of the most prominent mandates that the WA puts upon nations? A sort of, "hey, if you're going to join the WA, here's what you should know your nation is agreeing to - here's what will now be automatically outlawed, here's what will be legalized, etc."?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly