NATION

PASSWORD

General Assembly Q&A

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Garyopolis
Civilian

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

I'm new to the WA

Postby Garyopolis » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:38 pm

And I believe that I am in violation of GA#438, because of a capital punishment decision I made long ago. Am I in trouble, until I get an issue where I can repeal it?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Garyopolis wrote:And I believe that I am in violation of GA#438, because of a capital punishment decision I made long ago. Am I in trouble, until I get an issue where I can repeal it?

You're fine. Issues and the GA are unrelated other than sharing the statistical effects of the game code. There is no out of character punishment for choosing issues that contradict WA law. There may be nations that are upset with you In Character, but you didnt break any rules.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:00 pm

Is it legal to have a "series" of resolutions? Of course, each one would be standalone and make little reference to each other (and only make abstract references, rather than saying it as though it were approved), but each one would say something similar to

"International Convention on Examples Article 1"
"International Convention on Examples Article 2"

And so on..They would all be part of one coherent thing, but are standalone and can survive without each other, so the rest of the series would be fine if you got rid of, say, articles 1 and 3.

EDIT: The most illegal thing that might happen is the same organisation being used for more than one of them, but what will happen is this clause

"If the Example Committee of the International Convention on Examples does not exist by any prior act, then it shall be established by this act, with the following responsibilities..."

It would be put on every single one, as to ensure that the organisation would exist without the existence of all but one of the resolution series.
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:06 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Is it legal to have a "series" of resolutions? Of course, each one would be standalone and make little reference to each other (and only make abstract references, rather than saying it as though it were approved), but each one would say something similar to

And so on..They would all be part of one coherent thing, but are standalone and can survive without each other, so the rest of the series would be fine if you got rid of, say, articles 1 and 3.

EDIT: The most illegal thing that might happen is the same organisation being used for more than one of them, but what will happen is this clause

"If the Example Committee of the International Convention on Examples does not exist by any prior act, then it shall be established by this act, with the following responsibilities..."

It would be put on every single one, as to ensure that the organisation would exist without the existence of all but one of the resolution series.

We can't rule on hypothetical questions but it wouldn't be too hard to word them legally and it has been done before. See for example GAR#217, 218 and 219/, or the "rules of war" resolutions that Separatist Peoples wrote. The key rule to watch out for is House of Cards. One resolution cannot rely on another but you seem to heading that way anyway.

Regarding your edit. It is common practice to reuse committees, and once set up in an existing unrepealed resolution, it doesn't need to be reestablished. So say your first resolution establishes the "Apartment Department". The next can just say that x, y & z additional tasks are assigned to it without the "if it doesn't exist, it's established now" bit.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Is it legal to have a "series" of resolutions? Of course, each one would be standalone and make little reference to each other (and only make abstract references, rather than saying it as though it were approved), but each one would say something similar to

We can't rule on hypothetical questions but it wouldn't be too hard to word them legally and it has been done before. See for example GAR#217, 218 and 219/, or the "rules of war" resolutions that Separatist Peoples wrote. The key rule to watch out for is House of Cards. One resolution cannot rely on another but you seem to heading that way anyway.

Regarding your edit. It is common practice to reuse committees.

Oh, thank you. I was planning to draft 3-5 proposals on trade using the same committee. Some of them might be a bit controversial whilst others passed by a supermajority (tariffs vs fire standards, for example), so I decided to split them up to ensure that the less controversial ones get passed anyway.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Post them here. We have an existing set of legislation on tariffs other trade related things. They might be duplicatory or contradictory.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Past them here. We have an existing set of legislation on tariffs other trade related things. They might be duplicatory or contradictory.

I haven't done the meat yet. The first one will mostly be setting maximum tariffs, depending on industry and then with a bunch of exemptions such as trade sanctions, embargoes, etc...
Please Watch

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:05 pm

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:53 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Past them here. We have an existing set of legislation on tariffs other trade related things. They might be duplicatory or contradictory.

I haven't done the meat yet. The first one will mostly be setting maximum tariffs, depending on industry and then with a bunch of exemptions such as trade sanctions, embargoes, etc...

If and when you do write them up, post them in their own threads (one proposal per thread), not this Q&A one. Also, read through the passed resolutions, they're collected in a single searcheable thread on this forum.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:39 am

How stringent is the rule "Proposals must use understandable English" when it comes to determining legality? Just curious, as four out of the five presently submitted and "legal" proposals are such butcheries of the language that they lack all meaning. The words are real, and one can generally figure out what the author probably intended to say, but between dropped words, incorrect usages, homophones, and missing possessives, these really aren't meaningful English.

I realize it would take a miracle for any of them to achieve quorum, and an even greater miracle for any of them to receive a positive vote. As such, I don't want to waste anybody's time posting them to the illegal resolutions thread if this wouldn't actually be sufficient basis for flagging them as illegal.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 am

Verdant Haven wrote:How stringent is the rule "Proposals must use understandable English" when it comes to determining legality? Just curious, as four out of the five presently submitted and "legal" proposals are such butcheries of the language that they lack all meaning. The words are real, and one can generally figure out what the author probably intended to say, but between dropped words, incorrect usages, homophones, and missing possessives, these really aren't meaningful English.

I realize it would take a miracle for any of them to achieve quorum, and an even greater miracle for any of them to receive a positive vote. As such, I don't want to waste anybody's time posting them to the illegal resolutions thread if this wouldn't actually be sufficient basis for flagging them as illegal.

If we can parse a meaning, it's ok. If it's in another language, not ok. Bad grammar gets a pretty broad pass because we dont want the game to be de jure inaccessible to most non native speakers.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=10556924&hilit=Auralia+trade#p10556924

It mostly defines a % of maximum tariffs, so it works.
Please Watch

Civitas Libertad
Secretary

Founded: Feb 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Civitas Libertad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Does the World Assembly have any rules relating to child soldiers?
What are they?
A libertarian, Greco-Roman inspired nation that does not represent my views.

Civitas Libertad
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Civitas Libertad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Do any laws regulate working conditions and/or pay?

Denathor
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Denathor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Civitas Libertad wrote:Does the World Assembly have any rules relating to child soldiers?
What are they?

Yep.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Sir Lucas Callahan
Deputy Ambassador to the World Assembly: Randal Atkinson
Undersecretary to the Ambassador: Thomas Morgan

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:26 pm

Civitas Libertad wrote:Does the World Assembly have any rules relating to child soldiers?
What are they?

Thou shalt not use them.

Civitas Libertad wrote:Do any laws regulate working conditions and/or pay?

A lot of them: GA#7 <<< this one especially!, GA#23, GA#43, GA#108(!), GA#179 (only regulating prostitutes), GA#302 (née HR#175), GA#344.
See also GA#35, where "unfair and unreasonable discrimination, on the grounds outlined in clause c) of article 1 of this resolution, in private employment... shall be prohibited by all member states."
Please refer to the pinned RexisQuexis before you ask such questions next time.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Civitas Libertad
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Civitas Libertad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Denathor wrote:
What are they?

Yep.

Ok. With regards “armed conflict” we comply with the letter though arguably not the spirit of that.

Still we need to completely overhaul the fast-food, retail, hospitality and mass-production industries.

Do full-time apprenticeships as a replacement for middle-school violate the “don’t interfere with education” clause?

Civitas Libertad
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Civitas Libertad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
What are they?

Thou shalt not use them.

Civitas Libertad wrote:Do any laws regulate working conditions and/or pay?

A lot of them: GA#7 <<< this one especially!, GA#23, GA#43, GA#108(!), GA#179 (only regulating prostitutes), GA#302 (née HR#175), GA#344.
See also GA#35, where "unfair and unreasonable discrimination, on the grounds outlined in clause c) of article 1 of this resolution, in private employment... shall be prohibited by all member states."
Please refer to the pinned RexisQuexis before you ask such questions next time.

Well now we need to complete overhaul the economy.
We don’t have slaves and we regulate prostitution, that’s more or less all of those we follow.

Civitas Libertad
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Civitas Libertad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Are there any WA laws about:

1. People signing a contract legally obliging them to work for the next 7 years?

2. People having to either pay taxes or be in the military to vote?

3. Child marriage (but both parties are over the age of consent)?

4. Classist laws?

5. Having a younger age for women to be in combat than men?

6. Having the school day 3 days a week in government schools so children can spend the other 4 days working?

Civitas Libertad
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Civitas Libertad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Can i have the death penalty for the following?:
Offences against the person: kidnapping, rape, forced marriage, forced prostitution, child molestation
Offences against the state: treason,
Various military offences, bribery, gangsterism
Offences against property: armed robbery

Denathor
Diplomat

Postby Denathor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:26 pm

1. As Tinhampton said, use the collection of passed resolutions for your questions on those topics.

2. You seem to be worried that your OOC nation doesn’t follow all the WA resolutions. This doesn’t matter, as WA resolutions are only an in-character thing. So don’t feel obligated to have all the resolutions memorized while answering issues.
Last edited by Denathor on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Zambia
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

How do I vote?

Postby United States of Zambia » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:09 pm

How do I vote?

Denathor
Diplomat

Postby Denathor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:45 pm

United States of Zambia wrote:How do I vote?

1. Go to the settings screen on the left side of the page and enter your email if you haven’t already.
  2. Go to the link on the left side of the page labelled "World Assembly."
  3. Somewhere hear the top of the page should be a button labelled "join the World Assembly," or something similar.
  4. Hit the button, follow any relevant instructions and wait for the confirmation email.
  5. Follow the instructions on the confirmation email. Congratulations, you’ve just joined the WA!
  6. Go back to the WA page and look for the link that says "vote now."
  7. Read the resolution and press either the "vote for" or "vote against" button. You can always change or withdraw your vote later.
Hope this helps!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:40 pm

Denathor wrote:
United States of Zambia wrote:How do I vote?

1. Go to the settings screen on the left side of the page and enter your email if you haven’t already.
  2. Go to the link on the left side of the page labelled "World Assembly."
  3. Somewhere hear the top of the page should be a button labelled "join the World Assembly," or something similar.
  4. Hit the button, follow any relevant instructions and wait for the confirmation email.
  5. Follow the instructions on the confirmation email. Congratulations, you’ve just joined the WA!
Hope this helps!

Only do that on a non-shared device! So if you log in from library or school, or if a family member of yours on the same computer also has a WA nation, you can both get in trouble over it.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:01 pm

Civitas Libertad wrote:Can i have the death penalty for the following?:
Offences against the person: kidnapping, rape, forced marriage, forced prostitution, child molestation
Offences against the state: treason,
Various military offences, bribery, gangsterism
Offences against property: armed robbery

The death penalty is currently regulated to such an extent that it cannot be applied as punishment for any crime.
Civitas Libertad wrote:
Denathor wrote:Yep.

Ok. With regards “armed conflict” we comply with the letter though arguably not the spirit of that.

Still we need to completely overhaul the fast-food, retail, hospitality and mass-production industries.

Do full-time apprenticeships as a replacement for middle-school violate the “don’t interfere with education” clause?

Probably.
Last edited by Wallenburg on Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly